Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Dickeye posted:

See, I really liked the flashbacks. A nice pause in the action to take a breather, and it helps flesh out the main character? What's not to like!

Seriously, Kal's flashbacks were awesome, the chapters that hurt the flow the most were Shallan's, because they felt so disconnected from the rest of the action.

Yeah, I agree with this completely. The best thing is that they serve as breaks from the action but don't drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

IRQ posted:

Yeah I'm sure the ancient Chinese had a different word for earth than the Romans too...

I think we may just all have to agree to disagree; you guys are dead set against the idea that they're the same world, but your arguments aren't at all convincing.

Interview

quote:

Q: You’ve said that Shadesmar is the cognitive realm connecting all the worlds in the cosmere, and that Hoid is very good at using Shadesmar. Should we take this to mean Shadesmar is how he travels between the worlds? Do the other worlds have different ways of accessing Shadesmar than the way(s) the people of Roshar use?

A: Yes.

This pretty much confirms that they are on different worlds.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Alright alright, I hadn't read whatever interviews.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Yeah, I agree with this completely. The best thing is that they serve as breaks from the action but don't drag.

But Shallan did have one of the coolest scene in the book Three hearbeats

Khatib
Nov 12, 2007

senae posted:

Warbreaker and Elantris are the only two that could possibly overlap. Mistborn has the entire world covered in ash for 1000 years, with the entire population living on a single continent, and Stormlight has giant storms that ravage half the world, with robust trade towards the other half.

I don't feel they're on the same world, but did you forget about the part in Mistborn where the entire planet was shifted in orbit and rearranged tectonically twice in 1000 years? Your reasoning isn't exactly definitive given what happens in the novels.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

BananaNutkins posted:

The damage on the fabrial is suggestive, that she killed her father with it (and if so, where did she get it?)

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

BananaNutkins posted:

I think you're forgetting the scene where Kaladin realizes the First Ideal of the Knights Radiant. I was all kinds of flipping out.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
I really hope Stormlight gets a following like WoT has. Tons of speculation and such are a lot of fun.

I think that's what's missing from GRRM's books, there's no real mystery as to who or what is happening. Sure there's surprises, but there's not much foreshadowing to contemplate those things beforehand.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

subx posted:

I really hope Stormlight gets a following like WoT has. Tons of speculation and such are a lot of fun.

Mistborn had a great series of setups and rug-pulls, so if Stormlight is anything like that on top of being epic-length, then yeah it's going to be absurdly enjoyable to follow.

What I'd be leery of is if some of these books put too many cards on the table--like we kind of know what's up with the Adonalsium Shards now, etc.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 27, 2011

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

subx posted:

I think that's what's missing from GRRM's books, there's no real mystery as to who or what is happening.

Who are Jon Snow's parents?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

CyberLord XP posted:

Rhaegar and Lyanna. Duh. Although that hasn't been explicitly revealed, it's just pretty obvious since we've had six years to think about it since the last book.

Edit: Wait you have a Wild Cards tag. You know that.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

arioch posted:

Mistborn had a great series of setups and rug-pulls, so if Stormlight is anything like that on top of being epic-length, then yeah it's going to be absurdly enjoyable to follow.

What I'd be leery of is if some of these books put too many cards on the table--like we kind of know what's up with the Adonalsium Shards now, etc.

I hope this doesn't turn into a story about the worlds/shards and all of that. As much as I'd like a story about that later on, I hope this is an epic fantasy that stands on its own.

CyberLord XP posted:

You don't even know that's a "mystery" until pretty late on, as far as you know he's exactly who he says he is.

Note I'm not saying they are bad books - I love the series, I just am not as attached to it as WoT.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

subx posted:

Note I'm not saying they are bad books - I love the series, I just am not as attached to it as WoT.

It helps that WoT has more books than ASoIaF when it was only a third of the way complete.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

subx posted:

I hope this doesn't turn into a story about the worlds/shards and all of that. As much as I'd like a story about that later on, I hope this is an epic fantasy that stands on its own.

Definitely, but the Shards/worlds/Shadesmar is a part of the setting and the metaplot has become important in the plot/resolution of some of the books.

Again, it depends on what Sanderson's eventually going for, but he was at one point suggesting that maybe Sazed went insane due to the combining forces of Ruin and Preservation in the next Mistborn series, and to me I just feel like while that may serve the metaplot, it does terrible things to the conclusion of the first series, particularly as it recapitulates Lord Ruler and Ruin.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

arioch posted:

Definitely, but the Shards/worlds/Shadesmar is a part of the setting and the metaplot has become important in the plot/resolution of some of the books.

Again, it depends on what Sanderson's eventually going for, but he was at one point suggesting that maybe Sazed went insane due to the combining forces of Ruin and Preservation in the next Mistborn series, and to me I just feel like while that may serve the metaplot, it does terrible things to the conclusion of the first series, particularly as it recapitulates Lord Ruler and Ruin.

You have a link to that? I must have missed that, and I hope that's not the premise of it or it will be a bit disappointing (I will read it and enjoy it still, I just hoped that part of the story was wrapped up).

I was hoping for some expansion on the Kandra. I haven't read much of anything about the new book though, aside from it being set in "more modern times."

subx fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 27, 2011

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I think you're forgetting the scene where Kaladin realizes the First Ideal of the Knights Radiant. I was all kinds of flipping out.

I forget what that is now, reminder?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Rape and Lemoncakes.

I'm just saying a lot of people I've talked to who don't stalk the the almighty hate magnet online never even clued into the possibility until someone brings it up to them.

It's really the only example I can think of though, and it's really got nothing compared to the amount of foreshadowing Sanderson gives us.

mcable
Apr 21, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/kCXRcxe.jpg

subx posted:

The Stormlight Archives will not focus on the different worlds/shards, but Sanderson does have plans for a series that kind of ties all of that together. I believe it's called Dragonsteel though he won't start it until after the SA is done.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

subx posted:

You have a link to that? I must have missed that, and I hope that's not the premise of it or it will be a bit disappointing (I will read it and enjoy it still, I just hoped that part of the story was wrapped up).

I was hoping for some expansion on the Kandra. I haven't read much of anything about the new book though, aside from it being set in "more modern times."

I just did a google search on the matter and apparently Brandon Sanderson has since said that he is not going to go insane. A link to a 17thshard forum staffer quoting something else:

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/index.php?/topic/70-theory-shards-cant-remember-their-names/page__st__20

Also apparently Preservation's name was Leras, hence Lerasium being the metal found at the Well of Ascension used to make a normal person Mistborn. The more you know!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 27, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Dickeye posted:

I forget what that is now, reminder?

"I will protect those who cannot protect themselves." Syl prompts him to say it near the end when he defends his bridgemen.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

arioch posted:

I just did a google search on the matter and apparently Brandon Sanderson has since said that he is not going to go insane. A link to a 17thshard forum staffer quoting something else:

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/index.php?/topic/70-theory-shards-cant-remember-their-names/page__st__20

Also apparently Preservation's name was Leras, hence Lerasium being the metal found at the Well of Ascension used to make a normal person Mistborn. The more you know!

Is it bad that I've never heard of "17th shard? Anyways, thanks for the nifty link.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

A lot of people read through all of Sanderson's books and not pick up on Hoid, the shards, and how the books tie together. I never knew untill it was pointed out to me on the internet.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

A lot of people read through all of Sanderson's books and not pick up on Hoid, the shards, and how the books tie together. I never knew untill it was pointed out to me on the internet.

I meant the fan site, not the shard itself.

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!

arioch posted:

(Mistborn Spoiler.) And conveniently Ruin's name was Ati; hence Atium.

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011
Hey guys, check out the official Brandon Sanderson forums (link on his website) if you haven't already. Brandon posts under the name "EUOL" or "Evil Undead Over Lord". He answers some fan quesions and talks about things we can expect to see in the mistborn sequels.

e.g. Is Sazed blinded by metals, like ruin was? Yes!

or How did Inquisitors find Atium mistings?

They spike the drinks at one of the nobility's balls with trace amounts of Atium, then cause a bit disturbance. (Often, the Inquisitors themselves arriving will do it) and burn bronze and watch for brief pulses. The body will burn metals instinctively if it can, which has been shown quite often in the series. This is also how they get a lot of their secret information about who is a Misting and who isn't. It's not a perfect method, since you have to watch for Copperclouds messing things up, but it is effective once in a while.

Any time an obligator who is not a Misting joins the Ministry, he is unknowingly given a larger chunk of atium and then forced into a series of rituals that will drain him physically and get the body to react and burn the metal. This was how Yomen was discovered.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

subx posted:

Is it bad that I've never heard of "17th shard? Anyways, thanks for the nifty link.

Seventeeth Shard is an organization that's actually in the story, apparently. Though I don't know if that reference precedes the site or if Brandon tossed it in there for fun.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 28, 2011

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

mcable posted:

The Stormlight Archives will not focus on the different worlds/shards, but Sanderson does have plans for a series that kind of ties all of that together. I believe it's called Dragonsteel though he won't start it until after the SA is done.

Sanderson has said that you don't have to have any knowledge of the different worlds / shards to enjoy his books. So yeah, stormlight archives is not going to be the series that connects all the shards but there will be hints. And given that it's a bigger series than any he's done before I think it's safe to assume we'll get more hints in it than any book he's done before.

I'm not sure that Dragonsteel is the book/series that he will connect all the shards but it's definitely a planned world he wants to write about. Actually I'm fairly certain Sanderson already wrote Dragonsteel as his thesis at BYU. It's in the BYU library and you can get them to send it to another library if you really want to read it. I read on Sanderson's forums some people that have done exactly that.

Not A Hydroxyl Ion
Oct 10, 2007

Adventure!

Streebs posted:

I'm not sure that Dragonsteel is the book/series that he will connect all the shards but it's definitely a planned world he wants to write about. Actually I'm fairly certain Sanderson already wrote Dragonsteel as his thesis at BYU. It's in the BYU library and you can get them to send it to another library if you really want to read it. I read on Sanderson's forums some people that have done exactly that.
Unfortunately, it now appears to be missing from BYU's library. I decided to look it up and see if there was a way to borrow it and its status says it's lost.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Not A Hydroxyl Ion posted:

Unfortunately, it now appears to be missing from BYU's library. I decided to look it up and see if there was a way to borrow it and its status says it's lost.

Lost... or stolen? :ninja:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Lost... or stolen? :ninja:

From what I recall posted on other forums, the thing was indeed stolen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I know BYU is mormon and therefore backwards as all gently caress but how on earth did they not have an electronic copy? Sanderson isn't that old, he would have graduated in like the mid-late 90s.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

IRQ posted:

I know BYU is mormon and therefore backwards as all gently caress but how on earth did they not have an electronic copy? Sanderson isn't that old, he would have graduated in like the mid-late 90s.

Uhh, might surprise you to learn that the LDS church, and by extension BYU, actually has extensive records of almost everything that goes on in a public sphere, not always things directly related to the school/church either. Genealogical records are just an example of this. Just look up Granite Mountain Vault to see what I mean.

There's a good chance there is a digital copy of one type or another, but I doubt they send that out for various reasons. I wouldn't. Besides don't be angry at BYU, be angry at the idiot who decided to keep the book.

edit: in regards to Hoid, the suggestion is all the Hoid's encountered so far are the same man, but he is the second man to bear the name. Possibly the previous Hoid was a mentor/friend/family member. I'd missed the epigraph references to the other planets though. That's pretty nifty.

treeboy fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 30, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The point was more that they could reprint and bind it in approximately 2 minutes.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
still not surprised they can't/don't/won't. Extend a habit of reprinting lost works across possibly hundreds or thousands of theses and it quickly becomes an unnecessary cost for zero benefit. Likewise it may require some kind of author approval to reprint, and if I were the author and found someone had essentially stolen an early thesis draft of a work I planned on fleshing out fully later...well I'd be kind of pissed.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Does anyone know how much Sanderson made off of WoT? I seem to recall hearing he wasn't making all that much.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Comrade Flynn posted:

Does anyone know how much Sanderson made off of WoT? I seem to recall hearing he wasn't making all that much.

Whatever it was however much it was it's going to be completely dwarfed by what he's going to make off of Stormlight.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

arioch posted:

Whatever it was however much it was it's going to be completely dwarfed by what he's going to make off of Stormlight.

Indeed.

Even if he's not making much off of the last WoT novels directly, he's earning a killing on his other books now.

I know that I'm not alone in saying that I'd never heard of the guy before he stepped up to WoT, and now I'm hooked. I now own everything he's written except Elantris. I'll get to that one, too, eventually!

subx
Jan 12, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Indeed.

Even if he's not making much off of the last WoT novels directly, he's earning a killing on his other books now.

I know that I'm not alone in saying that I'd never heard of the guy before he stepped up to WoT, and now I'm hooked. I now own everything he's written except Elantris. I'll get to that one, too, eventually!

Yea, even if he didn't recieve a single penny WoT would be more than worth his time to write.

That said, I'm sure he's making a decent amount, but "not much" relative to it being his own original stories.

Bantaras
Nov 26, 2005

judge not, lest ye be judged.
I just finished The Way of Kings.
Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that the characters seemed to "raise an eyebrow" in just about every single conversation?

Great book by the way. I woke up this morning ready to read some more and then got all depressed when I realized I had finished the thing the day before. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Bantaras posted:

I just finished The Way of Kings.
Is it just me, or did anyone else notice that the characters seemed to "raise an eyebrow" in just about every single conversation?

To be fair, if I could raise one eyebrow I would all the time.