Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

SolidRed posted:

Yeah season 3 and 4 sucked but BSG wasn't that bad.

Duh silly I was talking about the one where Rekha Sharma turns out to be... oh wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

JVO posted:

So now I need a new show for DVD rentals. Let's try more Aaron Sorkin, I had a love/hate relationship with Studio 60, but that's the lesser of his shows apparently so I'd like to try his other shows. Where should I go next, The West Wing or Sports Night?

Sports Night is a two season long half-hour show and The West Wing is a seven season long hour show. I'd watch them both, but I'd probably do Sports Night first since that's a much shorter commitment.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

Sports Night is a two season long half-hour show and The West Wing is a seven season long hour show. I'd watch them both, but I'd probably do Sports Night first since that's a much shorter commitment.

Except West Wing is one of the best shows ever and this guy posts on SA so he probably has plenty of free time.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Well I finished Brotherhood last night. It had a decent enough ending but there was probably some fuel left in the tank. Oh well.

Next up I think will be Season 3 of The West Wing or Terriers.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Cactus posted:

Yeah Lost was never meant to be watched weekly with year-long gaps in between seasons, I learned that early on and stopped in between S2 and 3 I think. I have only the last season to go now, I'm just waiting on the person that I watch it with to be available.

Yeah, I can see that the pace could have been annoying if you had to wait a week between episodes. It plays out like one really, really long movie - each episode picks up pretty much directly after the last, with pretty much no time lapse in between. Having to watch on a weekly basis must have been like going to the movie theater, them cutting off the movie halfway through at a good part and saying 'Alright, come back next week and we'll show you some more'. But watching back to back you don't get those breaks.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
The SyFy channel is going to start showing reruns of The Sarah Connor Chronicles on Thursdays beginning this week and based on goon opinion I'm going to start watching it to see if I enjoy it or not.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
I didn't like Terminator until about... Episode 3-4. It really begins to take off when Garret Dillahunt is the T-800, you get Shirley Manson hamming it up weekly, Brian Austin Greene is somehow a badass, etc.

It doesn't always work, but there are a lot of memorable moments in the short series for me.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

There is definitely more good than bad in TSCC.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Digital Scumbag posted:

I didn't like Terminator until about... Episode 3-4. It really begins to take off when Garret Dillahunt is the T-800, you get Shirley Manson hamming it up weekly, Brian Austin Greene is somehow a badass, etc.

It doesn't always work, but there are a lot of memorable moments in the short series for me.

Cool, I'll brace myself till the Deadwood guy shows up.

Maia
Aug 15, 2003

Sweet.

Cactus posted:

I'm not sure I want to know what that Stride Gum factory remark is all about. I can stomach some pretty bad television, as long as I've not had my expectations set for it to be terrible. I can usually gloss over the bad because I want to be enjoying what I'm watching.

Okay, here's the thing about Smallville. It's never going to be a Good Show. There's a lot of camp... and only a little bit of it is intentional. But you watch it and you smile and shake your head and go, "Oh Smallville!" Plus occasionally they'll have really awesome cameos that I'm not gonna mention for your sake but may or may not have kept me watching the show for the next like six years or whatever it was. Plus in the last few seasons it's dropped the teen drama aspect and turned into a full-on comic show, which is fun.

Basically, I would never defend Smallville's quality to people that don't like it. It's not good. But I'm still there every week.

Anyway, the show I most recently binged through was Spaced. I'd been meaning to watch it for years and I'm so glad I finally did. It's like someone said, how would we make a show that Maia would love? And they made a checklist. And made Spaced. And checked every box. I loved it.

Oh, final Smallville thought... Did they ever finish going to college? The college got destroyed right? And then nobody ever mentioned it again? Just saying. That kind of... went away.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

Maia posted:

Oh, final Smallville thought... Did they ever finish going to college? The college got destroyed right? And then nobody ever mentioned it again? Just saying. That kind of... went away.

Man, I never watched a full episode of Smallville, but I really loved last decade's terrible Superman show, Lois & Clark. That spoiler makes me want to watch Smallville more, which can't be a good thing.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Just finished S1 of Third Watch, now starting S1 of the X-Files. I <3 rewatching shows from my childhood.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
So...I just started watching Andromeda. I don't know why. I'm about 7 episodes in.

So far it's about 95% cheap Star Trek-knockoff (and I do mean cheap, lord the special effects are bad) but every now and then they do hit you with some cool sci-fi ideas.

I think I'm committed...someone tell me what I'm in for.

Edit - the quotes before episodes are a nice touch.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Twin Peaks is up on Netflix Instant now and I'm 6 episodes in. I like it so far, but I see that there are only 2 seasons. Without spoiling anything, does the show get a proper finale? Because after Lost, I'll be pretty pissed if none of this gets resolved.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
I just wrapped up watching Deadwood. It left me feeling a bit sad that there wasn't a proper finale, but I don't feel my time was wasted.

It averaged out to a good series, I think. The performances and the vast majority of the characters were absolutely fantastic, the dialogue was generally good, but the pacing and plot were both much sloppier than I would have liked. So sloppy, in fact, that if the actors hadn't been so amazingly good (and if I didn't like westerns so much), I might have given up on it. They really stacked the cast with good actors, even in the minor roles, and it definitely paid off.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Twin Peaks is up on Netflix Instant now and I'm 6 episodes in. I like it so far, but I see that there are only 2 seasons. Without spoiling anything, does the show get a proper finale? Because after Lost, I'll be pretty pissed if none of this gets resolved.

It does, but I thought that it was a little rushed. There are also the movie which I never saw.

Deadwood was an amazing show all round, what you talking about.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Deadwood was an amazing show all round, what you talking about.
It's possible that watching The Wire (and also The Shield) have made my standards unreasonably high when it comes to other TV. I'd say that the characters, the acting, the music and production values were all definitely amazing; it's just the story was only amazing some of the time, and other times was kind of sloppy. Not so much that it could make the show bad, but enough to keep it from being one of the best series I've watched.

I'd still recommend it to pretty much anyone.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Maia posted:

Season 5 and 6 exist in this weird amorphous TV sludge where I barely remember anything about it (and I'm a big Smallville nerd).

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Maia posted:

I thought they realized that more episodes revolving around school would be pointless and so they just abandoned it. I mean these kids were into all kinds of experimental science projects and mixed up with billionare playboys.

Guildenstern
Feb 22, 2005

by T. Finn
I just discovered Lie to Me and I'm surprised the series doesn't have a goon following. I mean, sure, it's gimmicky as hell and sometimes the guest actors don't do a very good job (although it's understandable since it takes a lot of skill to pull off emotions when they're being overanalyzed) but it's a really fun genre show.

Also, Tim Roth :swoon:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
It might have a bit of a following but with episodic procedurals there's not usually much to say about them week-in week-out so they don't tend to have active threads. Lie to Me can be fun, it got really good towards the end of the first season when Shawn Ryan (of The Shield fame) came aboard as show runner. But he didn't stick around for long and the quality dipped again when he left to do Terriers.

The best thing about it now is that they've completely let Tim Roth off the leash and the character just gets crazier and more Tim Rothier as time goes on. He lurches around the screen like he's deformed and gets all british up in everyone's face constantly and it's fun to watch.

Apart from this it tends to suffer when compared to similar shows because the supporting cast never really develop as characters and getting pushed further and further into the background as it increasingly becomes the Tim Roth lurch, shout and threaten hour. Which is no great loss because they're all pretty dull.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Been heavily binging Smallville, halfway through S2 now and enjoying it. I agree with the general sentiment, it's enjoyable but it's no Buffy. The teenie love-triangle drama gets tedious, as does the whole "MUST KEEP THIS A SECRET FROM YOUR CLOSEST FRIENDS AT ALL COSTS" angle. I really can't wait for him to fall out with Lex, let's get some antagonism in here. I also like that it doesn't draw too heavily from the original Superman stuff, I was never really into the movies and didn't read comics.

mr. unhsib posted:

So...I just started watching Andromeda. I don't know why. I'm about 7 episodes in.

So far it's about 95% cheap Star Trek-knockoff (and I do mean cheap, lord the special effects are bad) but every now and then they do hit you with some cool sci-fi ideas.

I honestly couldn't get past the first two or three episodes of this. I think at the time I'd just come off watching Farscape, and was searching for something to replace my sci-fi fix. Talk about an abrupt downward shift. If anyone here can sell it though I'd be willing to give it a second chance since the last proper sci-fi I saw was the comically terrible V 2009. I'm now in a much better position to be receptive to merely bad sci-fi (as opposed to the poo poo encrusted abortion that was V S2) than I was then. Best thing about V was that it prompted me to find an old naked clip of Morena Baccarin actually acting competently in a different genre, which I dutifully posted in the V thread, so for that reason I was glad I watched it.

Gravy Jones posted:

with episodic procedurals there's not usually much to say about them week-in week-out so they don't tend to have active threads.

I find these more suit "Let's Watch" retrospective threads after they're aired. I'm having a lot of fun and nostalgia reading the X-files one that's going on at the moment.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Cactus posted:

Been heavily binging Smallville, halfway through S2 now and enjoying it. I agree with the general sentiment, it's enjoyable but it's no Buffy. The teenie love-triangle drama gets tedious, as does the whole "MUST KEEP THIS A SECRET FROM YOUR CLOSEST FRIENDS AT ALL COSTS" angle. I really can't wait for him to fall out with Lex, let's get some antagonism in here. I also like that it doesn't draw too heavily from the original Superman stuff, I was never really into the movies and didn't read comics.
Is this your first time watching Smallville? If so then the fall out between Lex and Clark doesn't happen for a while... Rewatching the series really gave me a lot of things to poke fun at the show. How many times does Clark speed off when someone's looking away, how many times does someone get knocked out, how many times do people have amnesia. I never really hated Lana before but rewatching has made me hate her and wish that the writers would have killed her off after like season 3. They dragged her story out waaaaaaaaay too long. But it's Smallville so I still love the show no matter what.

Oh and seeing Clark writhe on the ground from kryptonite is a classic.

DoYouHasaRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 11, 2011

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I'm almost done with season 1 of Dexter and should be on season 2 in a couple of days. I'm then going to go full on and finish the last few episodes of Hidden Palms and then go full on into The X-Files.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Even numbered seasons of Dexter own pretty hard.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yup, first time watching Smallville. Just got to S5, I see what you all mean now, ohgod, vampires?!? Seriously?

sigh...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Being Human, the British series. The original pilot sucks so much and the rest of the series is so good.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
started watching daybreak. man, why was this cancelled. god damnit. such a good loving show.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

There is an ending of sorts. It's a bit ambiguous, so your personal mileage may vary. I'd highly recommend checking out Youtube for the Log Lady intros which aren't included in the Instant Watch versions. While you're not missing any of the story without them, they're an extra bit of that weirdness that defines the series. They'll also make the unfortunate dip in the second season more tolerable.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
Halfway through s1 of Party Down. And it rocks.

mr. unhsib posted:

Lexia Doig, mainly. That show brings back memories but I honestly can't think of any reason I kept watching. She's married to michael shanks, btw. Its kind of adorable.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

der juicen posted:

started watching daybreak. man, why was this cancelled. god damnit. such a good loving show.

I remember trying to follow that series when it originally aired. There were what 4, maybe a couple more episodes being aired and then the rest being being online only, except that they took about 4 months to put up the rest of the episodes. Such a good show, and I'm happy to be able to re-watch it.

Speaking of things on Netflix, I just finished watching Life on Mars (US) over the last week. Really enjoyed the trip (Harvey Keitel was great nearly every time he was onscreen) but god that was the worst ending I've seen for a series in a while. Would have liked if it went on a while longer, and didn't dote on Sam's family as much honestly.

Is it worth watching the UK series after watching the US one?

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Cactus posted:

Yup, first time watching Smallville. Just got to S5, I see what you all mean now, ohgod, vampires?!? Seriously?

sigh...
It gets better! I swear! When you hit season 7 it goes up in awesomeness.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Slio posted:

Is it worth watching the UK series after watching the US one?

Absolutely. Life on Mars UK also has a "sequel" show called Ashes to Ashes. Both are really good shows and the ending to Ashes to Ashes was good, if a little cheesy. The ending to the US version sounds dumb as hell.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I'm midway through the second episode of The Wire. So far, it's been a chore to get through, and I have to stop every 15-20 minutes because I just can't take it anymore.

I keep hearing that this is the best TV Drama ever! If I don't like the first few episodes, am I doomed? Or is it going to grow on me?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it's the 4th or 5th episode that involves figuring out a phone code system. If you're not hooked after that then put it away and try again another time. I tried to watch The Wire several times and could not do it. I tried it again last summer and something just clicked and I poop socked the whole series in 2 months. Don't try to force yourself to like it, you'll never enjoy it that way.

The show also changes drastically in each season and covers a new topic, it's something to look forward to.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Just remember with the Wire each season is one case that a normal police procedural would rush through in one, maybe two episodes. A big point of the show is how real cases are built on mountains of evidence and patterns of conduct not just two cop partners figuring it out.

It keeps a constant pace all the way through, at the beginning you'll hate it because you want the action to start by the end you'll love it because you don't want it to stop. If I remember correctly it takes four or more episodes just to introduce all the characters.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Gangringo posted:

It keeps a constant pace all the way through, at the beginning you'll hate it because you want the action to start by the end you'll love it because you don't want it to stop. If I remember correctly it takes four or more episodes just to introduce all the characters.

I think the introduction of a million characters I can't keep track of or care about yet is one of the flaws I'm struggling with. I'm going to try and power through the first disk of The Wire from Netflix, but I may have to try this one again at another time. Time will tell, I suppose.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
The Wire is one of my absolute favorite shows, but it originally took me three different tries before I was able to get into it. And even then I basically put it on as background noise while I did other things. That went on up until somewhere towards the end of season 1 when Greggs get's shot at which point I was completely hooked and gave it my full attention.

Later when I re-watched it, it was even better because I actually paid full attention from the beginning. In fact The Wire is the only show I can think of that is so dense and complex that it's actually better the second time you watch it. You know all the characters already and can appreciate all the early banter that you kind of tuned out your first time through.

A lot people have trouble with season 2 because of the change in focus (personally I love season 2 and think Frank was just an incredible character). So try to make it to season 3 when things go back to the characters from season 1. It's also my favorite season of the show.

The Wire is definitely worth the effort. I don't think I've ever heard a single Wire fan say that it clicked with them right off the bat. The time it takes to get into is different for everyone. Just keep chugging along and eventually it will stick and when that happens... Gooble gobble! Gooble gobble! We accept you! We accept you! One of us! One of us!

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 28, 2011

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

The boyfriend and I just finished our 3-ish month spree of BSG, and oh god, oh god. Why is it over. :gonk: gently caress the haters, I loved it until the end.

Now we don't really know what to watch.. I'm thinking about making him watch at least a few seasons of SG1 (that show was my *favorite* for like 10 years, I'm afraid he won't want to sit through the kinda meh first couple of seasons, but we'll see). We're also considering Farscape or Babylon 5. I'm afraid that any show immediately following BSG is just going to be a letdown, though. I think we're both in a sci-fi mood, otherwise we'd check out some of the great-sounding comedies that are out there now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Have you seen Deep Space 9? That was Ronald D. Moore's previous show and has a lot of similarities to BSG. It's also the most un-Star Trek show which is why I like it.