Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mtr
May 15, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Good news: for many premier silver customers who lost their yearly upgrades, corporate sprint stores can now honor it until I think 6/30. Pretty awesome.

Also: blackberry fans (if there are any left) the style price is dropping on 5/1 to free.

Woah.

Now when you say "lost their upgrade", do you mean the people that were eligible for upgrade on 4/1 that lost it because of the change. Or will the people who bought the Evo in June 2010 also be eligible in June 2011 now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

So, I've read about the negativity with Samsung products and I hesitated for a few days. But after reading good review after good review on the Epic this week, I figured maybe they got this one right and pulled the trigger today.
Samsung definitely didn't get the Epic "right" by any definition, but it's not a horrible phone. It's actually a quite capable device that's arguably superior to the Shift in performance, definitely superior to the Evo, and equivalent to the Nexus S. That and the AMOLED screen is beautiful. Those are the reasons why it's praised highly in reviews.

There are a few problems with the Epic, all of which come down to "it's a Samsung." First, if you're looking for a phone to run CyanogenMod, the Evo, Shift, and even Optimus S are better choices. There is an alpha CyanogenMod frankenport to the Epic, but because "it's a Samsung" it's unlikely to ever have feature or support parity with the other devices. Second, Samsung's track record with updates both for the Epic, and all of their US-released devices is rather questionable. Froyo took forever and a day to come out, and while I suspect Gingerbread won't take as long, it's not exactly around the corner.

That said, in terms of how the device performs with the latest Froyo release today, it's a reasonable experience. There's a few bugs, although I can't think of an Android device that doesn't have at least a few. Probably the ones that folks have most trouble with are its wonky interaction with Bluetooth peripherals, although I don't use Bluetooth so I can't comment on it. Also, there's a crash bug in the GPS library that's occasionally run into by heavy GPS users. If you use GPS-utilizing apps (e.g., Maps) roughly 20 times a day, it's quite likely the GPS will crash and you'll have to reboot to recover it. There's a fix for it on xda that may be useful if you are a heavy GPS user, otherwise you'll rarely run into it.

Epic ROMs do hugely improve the device experience, but they're not strictly necessary if you're not into the whole ROM thing. My wife uses a totally stock, unrooted EC05 Epic and has no problems with it, although she's neither a GPS nor Bluetooth user. But in terms of it being a functional device with compatibility with every app I've tried, it's fine.

For $200 I'd probably consider a Shift over the Epic, but for $50 it's an absolute steal. Makes me a bit miffed when I bought it for $250 in October, the highest subsidized price Sprint has charged for an Android device.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 28, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

mtr posted:

Woah.

Now when you say "lost their upgrade", do you mean the people that were eligible for upgrade on 4/1 that lost it because of the change. Or will the people who bought the Evo in June 2010 also be eligible in June 2011 now?

If you were a Premier customer scheduled for an upgrade between April 1st and June 30th, but lost it because you didn't have Sprint for 10+ years, you get your upgrade back. I am not sure about customers who were already eligible and lost it, i will ask.

Also, Sprint training is saying the Samsung Replenish does WiFi calling.

SURPRISE WITNESS
May 14, 2004

I am pretty sure this is how it is supposed to go.

The Entire Universe posted:

Great Info

Thanks for this! I'm always wary at first of modding my brand new 'spensive poo poo... but after a few months of the newness wearing off, I want to start loving with it. This sounds like a great jumping off point.

Mahoning posted:

Good news: for many premier silver customers who lost their yearly upgrades, corporate sprint stores can now honor it until I think 6/30. Pretty awesome.

This is exactly how I managed it. I was planning to buy the new phone and realized they rolled my $150 credit back on 4/1. I called and complained. They charged me $45 to 'complete my contract' but are turning around and crediting me $25 on each of my next 2 bills. I only had to wait about 36 hours for my $150 upgrade credit to be reinstated, which was this morning.

nate fisher posted:

Let me know how long it takes for them to get the phone to you and if you have any problems. I am planning to get my daughter that same phone from there next week and I want to make sure all is good.

Will do. It says that it may be up to 5 days before it ships, because of demand on the Epic, but I'm pretty confident I'll be getting it by the end of next week.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Mahoning posted:

What are the odds of the EVO 3D coming out before then? If so, I'll line up. If not, I have to wait until December. :(

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
I've heard the term 'spending limit' a few times now in regards to Sprint plans. Can anyone explain exactly what that means?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

brc64 posted:

What are the odds of the EVO 3D coming out before then? If so, I'll line up. If not, I have to wait until December. :(

I'd be surprised if it launches after 6/30 really

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

porksmash posted:

I've heard the term 'spending limit' a few times now in regards to Sprint plans. Can anyone explain exactly what that means?

It means they only allow you to spend up to so much per month. Generally applied to accounts that have bad or no credit, and gets removed after you pay your bills consistently on time for a long enough period.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ha my wife's line is the permier line and if we was gold the upgrade date would of been 7/1/11. Not a big deal because we got 3 other lines up for upgrade on 5/1/11 no matter what, but I wonder if they will let her have it a week early since 6/30/11 looks like the end date of the extension.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Did anyone else get a phone call from Sprint "congratulating" you on reaching Silver? I was a bit pissed about that, actually. Congratulations, you're receiving less benefits!

I asked what the deal was, and was told that the revamped Sprint Premiere system was "due to feedback we received from customers". I sort of doubt that, unless I'm missing something?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Did anyone else get a phone call from Sprint "congratulating" you on reaching Silver? I was a bit pissed about that, actually. Congratulations, you're receiving less benefits!

I asked what the deal was, and was told that the revamped Sprint Premiere system was "due to feedback we received from customers". I sort of doubt that, unless I'm missing something?
In all likelihood, they realized that it was too good a deal to give out to as many people as they did, but I vaguely recall them using the excuse that customers with 10 years of service were complaining because other people were able to get the same deal with much less of a commitment. Because, you know, people who are getting an awesome deal really care how many other people also get the awesome deal.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I still can't get GV and Sprint integration yet. I have an option to sheck for availability on the GV page, and when I do, I get this message:

quote:

Unfortunately, Google Voice cannot be enabled on this Sprint phone. Please contact Sprint for more details as to why this cannot be enabled.

Maybe it's still in the "rolling out" stages. Since I live in an area cell companies could care less about, it might take a while...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mtr posted:

Woah.

also check on sprintusers.com, I saw a big thread and a customer service person coming in to help people with this.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

DrBouvenstein posted:

Maybe it's still in the "rolling out" stages. Since I live in an area cell companies could care less about, it might take a while...

It is. My brother is still waiting on his, but a friend of ours got his invite today.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Wow, this double SMS notification poo poo is annoying... The idea of relying on data only (and using the GV app) with lag for SMS kind of sucks assholes more though. Why can't I just turn off SMS notifications in the GV app? :\

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

ddogflex posted:

Wow, this double SMS notification poo poo is annoying... The idea of relying on data only (and using the GV app) with lag for SMS kind of sucks assholes more though. Why can't I just turn off SMS notifications in the GV app? :\

Uh...you can.

Menu->Sync and Notifications->Inbox Notifications (uncheck)

rattrap
Mar 25, 2005

The GV integration option was available for me last night - without receiving an email - so I set it up. Went with my Sprint number.

As far as I can tell (via LRN query - work for a telco), my Sprint number is not actually ported to Google. Granted, I forgot to check pre-integration, so it's possible the LRN changed and this is GV specific, but I think it's more likely there's just a profile/group on the Sprint routing side that pushes the call through GV.

Just random information.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I still can't get GV and Sprint integration yet. I have an option to sheck for availability on the GV page, and when I do, I get this message:

If it provides the option to check, I think you have access. I didn't see that option until I could integrate. I know they listed situations where you can't, like if it's a corporate account?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

brc64 posted:

In all likelihood, they realized that it was too good a deal to give out to as many people as they did, but I vaguely recall them using the excuse that customers with 10 years of service were complaining because other people were able to get the same deal with much less of a commitment. Because, you know, people who are getting an awesome deal really care how many other people also get the awesome deal.

Next time I get some awesome deal from Sprint I'm going to call up and bitch about how too many other people are getting awesome deals too. Just out of spite.

I wasn't so much upset that I got bumped, as I was that they actually called me to congratulate me. That's like kicking me when I'm down, man.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Ozmodiar posted:

Uh...you can.

Menu->Sync and Notifications->Inbox Notifications (uncheck)

Everything below "Notifications via text message" is grayed out for me...

edit: I figured it out (I think), I didn't have "Sycronize Inbox" checked, now the options are there to change.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 29, 2011

Ryven
Sep 25, 2004
So I've been looking at getting a new phone finally and I pretty much have it narrowed down to 3 choices. The HTC EVO Shift, Samsung Epic 4g and the Nexus S 4g ( if it worth me waiting till it comes out).

I do like messing around with customization and I'll probably look into getting ROMs. From what I've read it sounds like I should get the Shift, but I really do like the screen on the Epic/Nexus a lot.

Do ROMs make that big of a difference in using the phone that I should just balance the purchase off of that?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Ryven posted:

So I've been looking at getting a new phone finally and I pretty much have it narrowed down to 3 choices. The HTC EVO Shift, Samsung Epic 4g and the Nexus S 4g ( if it worth me waiting till it comes out).

I do like messing around with customization and I'll probably look into getting ROMs. From what I've read it sounds like I should get the Shift, but I really do like the screen on the Epic/Nexus a lot.

Do ROMs make that big of a difference in using the phone that I should just balance the purchase off of that?

In comparison to the others, the Epic the worst possible decision. You're tying yourself to a phone for two years that may or may not ever be updated and will never be as well supported as the other two. The Shift isn't a bad option, but there's no reason for a physical keyboard unless you log into *nix systems a lot, so get a screen with some real estate.

Get the Nexus S or wait for the Evo3D, that's your most future-proof solution right now. If you want custom ROM support, Nexus S is the only guarantee.

Ryven
Sep 25, 2004

900ftjesus posted:

In comparison to the others, the Epic the worst possible decision. You're tying yourself to a phone for two years that may or may not ever be updated and will never be as well supported as the other two. The Shift isn't a bad option, but there's no reason for a physical keyboard unless you log into *nix systems a lot, so get a screen with some real estate.

Get the Nexus S or wait for the Evo3D, that's your most future-proof solution right now. If you want custom ROM support, Nexus S is the only guarantee.

I really do like the screen on the Nexus S so I guess that's what I'm going with. The Evo3D does seem a bit far off.

SURPRISE WITNESS
May 14, 2004

If you DO want the Epic, it is only $50 on Radio Shack's website... Jus' sayin'.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

If you DO want the Epic, it is only $50 on Radio Shack's website... Jus' sayin'.

Yes but for myself I would pay the extra $150 to get the Nexus S without even thinking twice. As I said before I am getting the Epic for my daughter but she is 12 and will think it is worth $500.

Edit: Just curious after reading some of the post on here I take it that there is no way to stop text message from showing up in the GV app since I made my Sprint number my GV number? I did turn off the notification in the GV app but I still don't need to be double text messaged.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 29, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

nate fisher posted:

Edit: Just curious after reading some of the post on here I take it that there is no way to stop text message from showing up in the GV app since I made my Sprint number my GV number? I did turn off the notification in the GV app but I still don't need to be double text messaged.

If you also turn off Inbox Sync, you won't get texts in the GV update until you refresh.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

rattrap posted:

If it provides the option to check, I think you have access. I didn't see that option until I could integrate.

Well...I can't integrate, so I clearly don't have access yet.

rattrap posted:

I know they listed situations where you can't, like if it's a corporate account?

Nope, not corporate or anything, just a regular Simply Everything plan...the only odd thing is that I have a 15% discount through my employer via some special deal they have with Sprint...but that couldn't possibly be the problem, could it?

Ryven
Sep 25, 2004
With EPRP, does the 10$ smartphone fee still apply?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Ryven posted:

With EPRP, does the 10$ smartphone fee still apply?

Yep.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ozmodiar posted:

If you also turn off Inbox Sync, you won't get texts in the GV update until you refresh.

You know someone is going to be busted for cheating because they forget to delete the incriminating texts in the GV app.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

nate fisher posted:

You know someone is going to be busted for cheating because they forget to delete the incriminating texts in the GV app.

Indeed...haha.

That said, I really wish I could set up "filters" in GV...similar to Gmail. Have some people's texts auto-delete after a certain period of time, flat-out ignore others, etc.

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge
with the google integration, putting my sprint number to google:

do you get texts to both the messaging apps AND the GV app? or just the GV app?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

Indeed...haha.

That said, I really wish I could set up "filters" in GV...similar to Gmail. Have some people's texts auto-delete after a certain period of time, flat-out ignore others, etc.

You can do this for calls by setting it up on the contact page, but I don't think you can do this for texts or voice mails.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Fyi everyone, the Silver temporary upgrade policy is only for anyone who set to be eligible April 1st through June 30th. Anyone else is basically deemed as missing their shot I guess. Bummer.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Got into the GV thing, went with making my Sprint number my GV number. Hopefully it's as cool as I think it is.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi everyone, the Silver temporary upgrade policy is only for anyone who set to be eligible April 1st through June 30th. Anyone else is basically deemed as missing their shot I guess. Bummer.

What if you already had an upgrade available but had yet to use it? I had an upgrade since October but was waiting for the next round of phones, so now I'd have to wait till this October unless the change in the policy applies to me as well.

SURPRISE WITNESS
May 14, 2004

Protip posted:

What if you already had an upgrade available but had yet to use it? I had an upgrade since October but was waiting for the next round of phones, so now I'd have to wait till this October unless the change in the policy applies to me as well.

That was exactly my case. I had my full upgrade since September. As I said before, they had me buy out the remainder of my contract, which totaled $45, then they are going to credit my account $25 for each of the next 2 months.

Astiesan
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, about that.

Ryven posted:

For what it's worth, the Epic and the Nexus S have the EXACT same CPU and GPU, same model number, same 540 graphics core. So in terms of compute capability, they are identical.

I'm in a similar situation myself. My contract is up with Verizon, I'm on someone else's plan, and I will be getting off when the contract is up. I've chosen to go with Sprint because of the 20% discount I get from my employer, and I've pretty much decided I'm going to go with the Epic. I've played with the Evo and Evo Shift, the Evo is way too big, and the shift just doesn't feel right in my hand. The Epic has a freaking great screen and gorilla glass front.

I currently have an original Motorola Droid, the Epic is somewhat similar in size and hand-feel. Now I've rooted and modded the poo poo out of my droid, but from my understanding that's really not even required with the Epic because it's just flatly fast to begin with.

I guess I'm kind of submitting and opinion and asking for feedback, as I said I'll be picking up Sprint with a fresh contract in 1-2 months. I really want a hardware keyboard though. I remote desktop back home a lot, and trying to use any kind of remote desktop software with a software keyboard is nigh impossible.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I'm also anxious to see how the GV works out. I pretty much only give out my voice number now, so I'd probably take the option to have a separate number and forward it, but GV is still my primary number.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Astiesan posted:

and the shift just doesn't feel right in my hand.
Seriously, I fully expect the Shift to be better supported, both by HTC and the ROM community, for far longer than the Epic. There's a lot of subtle downsides to going with an Epic that would make the Shift a superior purchase. If this is really your only complaint about the device, consider the known issues with the Epic carefully, lest you regret that decision.

Astiesan posted:

Now I've rooted and modded the poo poo out of my droid, but from my understanding that's really not even required with the Epic because it's just flatly fast to begin with.
Indeed the Epic CPU & GPU are fast. I/O is a bit laggy, especially compared to the Nexus S, due to Samsung's use of RFS. The lag isn't nearly as bad as the original GSM Galaxy S models, and many folks won't think much of it in practice.

Now, if you do mod it, most ROMs support ext4 which is very fast. However, many of these are "no journal" ROMs where an OS crash or battery pull pretty much guarantees file system corruption. In contrast, I've never had any corruption issues with RFS, and I'm beginning to think it's not worth putting up with reflashing your phone every few weeks just to make it a little less laggy.

But the real reason to run a custom kernel/ROM on the Epic is to fix its silly bugs.

Astiesan posted:

I really want a hardware keyboard though.
Beware that the hardware keyboard suffers from somewhat-significant responsiveness issues under stock Froyo. If you have arthritis-laden hands that force you to type slow as poo poo, it won't be an issue. But many folks on xda report dropped letters and other annoyances. There's patches in custom kernels & ROMs to improve the keyboard's responsiveness, and folks on xda report great success with them.

However the entire keyboard driver is a horrible mess and the software support for the keyboard simply isn't as good as the Shift, or frankly any other device. And I wouldn't expect Samsung to improve it in official releases in the future, given that its quality appears to be decreasing with updates.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Just curious what is the feeling on the MDPA protection plan by Radio Shack vs. TEP? According to their web site no deductible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

So if I was eligible before April 1st but lost it due to Silver, they aren't going to help me out?

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

That was exactly my case. I had my full upgrade since September. As I said before, they had me buy out the remainder of my contract, which totaled $45, then they are going to credit my account $25 for each of the next 2 months.

gently caress it, I'll just go to the nearest Sprint store and talk with a manager when the EVO 3D gets an official release date and find out what they're willing or able to do for me.