Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Internet Janitor posted:

I spent some time this afternoon playing with ANSI control codes. Have some plasma:

The source (Java) is here.

I feel a strong urge to write a game in this style.

Looks awesome, reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQr42LjaNCY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

I started working on an API for AS3 just to have something to add to my portfolio (and to learn from the experience).
I pretty much designed so that developing the poo poo I want to (mostly games) is a lot easier/faster. After many hours of work it has gotten to the point that I think I have something to show.

Full code required for the implementation:
Pastebin.com version: http://pastebin.com/c6MYgaCw
Raw version: http://obcode.com/as3/api/Main.as

Implementation (look at this instead of the obligatory screenshot):
http://obcode.com/as3/api/

Screenshot (doesn't really do it justice :():

And if anyone is interested here is the full source code:
http://obcode.com/as3/api/source.7z

Hopefully I'm not re-inventing the wheel too much here, but hey: I'm having fun. :)

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
For the last couple of months I've been building a system that does non-contact measurements of impurity distributions inside of optical crystals. Today I got my first really nice result:

The horizontal axes here are the x-y location of each measurement point, the vertical axis is impurity concentration.

My program controls three laser sources that shoot pulses of concentrated light into a crystal sample. The lasers cause impurities within the crystal to glow, and that glow is recorded by a set of filtered detectors connected to an array of synchronized A/D cards. A single point measurement produces about 50 megabytes of data in a sampling window of ~10 milliseconds. Each lump of data gets thrown onto a background thread for analysis while the hardware moves a motorized XY stage to the next location on the crystal surface to take the next reading. Overall the system collected and processed about 6.7 gigabytes of data to produce this image.

The results show the impurity concentration increasing from right to left on the plot which is exactly what was anticipated. It may be a bit harder to see from this angle, but there is also a stripe feature running down the center of the data on the long axis - this is where two crystal planes meet up and we really didn't know what to expect in that region. Science, motherfucker.

This was all done in C#, and the .NET questions thread has been super helpful and patient with my dumb non-programmer rear end. Thanks dudes. :)

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Dug up a relatively ancient minigame I made a few years ago, working on sprucing it up a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3hXpFVqLxc

LOLLERZ
Dec 9, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT SPAMMING THE REPORT FORUM TO PROTECT ~MY WIFE'S~ OKCUPID PERSONALS ANALYSIS SA-MART THREAD. DO IT. ALL THE TIME. CONSTANTLY. IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE THE THREAD, SHE'LL WANT TO TALK TO ME!
http://www.code4cheap.com/ is a site I've been working on for about 3 months now. The idea is to help people who want to pay for super small projects find people who are interested in doing super small projects for cash.

LOLLERZ fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 25, 2011

KBD
Mar 24, 2010

get a butt
Almost done with this one. I'm a little concerned about how image-heavy it turned out to be (only index), although with the expected demographic I hope it won't be an issue. In my defense they were really insistent on "eyecandy" and upfront told me they didn't care about older browsers, slow connections etc. Not every day you get to pretend IE6 is an aborted fetus

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
Did my first ever javascript programming over the weekend, adding a feature to a chrome extension for dominion.isotropic.org:

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/oilbmfdendkfeipedcpnpifkclfckalk

As of this week there's new cards added, so I added support for it in the running score that's posted in the bottom right

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

PDP-1 posted:

This looks really cool. If you don't mind me asking, how much of the 'jagginess' you see here an artifact of the sampling process/statistical noise and how much is straight signal? Would you expect the impurity distribution to be essentially continuous or discontinuous?

Some day I hope to contribute to this thread... some day...

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Spime Wrangler posted:

This looks really cool. If you don't mind me asking, how much of the 'jagginess' you see here an artifact of the sampling process/statistical noise and how much is straight signal? Would you expect the impurity distribution to be essentially continuous or discontinuous?

My guess right now is that a good part of the jagginess is due to optical cross-talk between the input lasers and the detectors that monitor the impurity glow. If part of the relatively strong input laser scatters off a bit of dust on the sample it could get picked up by the detectors that are supposed to monitor the relatively weak impurity glow signals and cause an error. A small fluctuating part of a strong signal + all of a weak signal = a noisy measurement.

I'd expect the impurity distribution in the sample to have large scale trends (like what is being picked up now) plus a smaller fine-grained local structure. The rate at which the impurities get trapped inside the crystal during growth is very temperature sensitive, so the normal day/night cycle of the building's HVAC system might produce bands of high/low concentration. If I ever get this thing working to the point that we can pick that up reliably I'll be extremely happy.

mustermark
Apr 26, 2009

"Mind" is a tool invented by the universe to see itself; but it can never see all of itself, for much the same reason that you can't see your own back (without mirrors).
It's nothin' huge, but I've wanted to cobble together one of these since I started programming:

Imma gonna try to doodle a little game on top. I'm thinking asteroids.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
I posted my older version of my shmups scene generator, and I'm currently working on a fancy version with ExtJS:

The neat thing about this, is that all the buttons in the toolbox will be "plugins" - autoloaded from a plugin directory, each with their own functions. Which makes it much easier to extend if I come up with more ideas.

However, ExtJS 4, being new, is giving me gigantic headaches when trying to do things in a more "sane" way - As it sits, each plugin uses an Ext.onReady function, which I don't think is a good thing. There's the new Ext.define stuff, but I just can't wrap my head around it without a decent writeup on it. It's neat stuff, and I want to use it, but it's breaking my brain.

also: People on IRC who think they're clever and cryptic by asking me leading questions to "help me learn it" can just :fuckoff: - I'm asking for help because I can't figure it out, you smarmy pricks. Just explain it, don't turn it into a goddamn puzzle that I have to solve to find the one true answer.

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
TwystNeko I feel your pain. Clever examples!= good documentation.

Just posted a video of my first iPad app. Been working on this with some people who originally hired me for some web development work. It's been an interesting few months, the code is an abortion because I had to learn Cocos2d and Chipmunk as I went, but it's shaping up well.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2008897867964

There isn't a whole lot to do at the moment, but it's essentially a doll house. For 4 year old girls. Apparently apps for preliterate children is a big thing now?

KBD
Mar 24, 2010

get a butt

Jick Magger posted:

TwystNeko I feel your pain. Clever examples!= good documentation.

Just posted a video of my first iPad app. Been working on this with some people who originally hired me for some web development work. It's been an interesting few months, the code is an abortion because I had to learn Cocos2d and Chipmunk as I went, but it's shaping up well.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2008897867964

There isn't a whole lot to do at the moment, but it's essentially a doll house. For 4 year old girls. Apparently apps for preliterate children is a big thing now?

Does your employer look like this?

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer

KBD posted:

Does your employer look like this?

No, one of the guys there has a 4 year old daughter who loves playing with his iPad, and he realized that all of the games he buys for her are loving terrible abortions of games. But they still sell really well, because parents are retarded. So we're trying to make something better.

To be fair, I've never ACTUALLY met this supposed daughter, so who knows.

Dolex
May 5, 2001

I'm using genetic algorithms with fractals.

Da Gaspodin
May 2, 2006

boxSpin(time);
My latest project is a psychedelic Javascript/WebGL/HTML5/CSS3 demo. Online here: http://low.fi/~visy/webgl/mkultra/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Da Gaspodin posted:

My latest project is a psychedelic Javascript/WebGL/HTML5/CSS3 demo. Online here: http://low.fi/~visy/webgl/mkultra/

That is quite a large screen shot you have there. Does this require some special browser? In Safari and Firefox I get the same error:

Da Gaspodin
May 2, 2006

boxSpin(time);

NOG posted:

That is quite a large screen shot you have there. Does this require some special browser? In Safari and Firefox I get the same error:

Should work with Firefox 4 and Chrome 10 and onwards, also requires a GPU with shaders for the WebGL stuff.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Da Gaspodin posted:

Should work with Firefox 4 and Chrome 10 and onwards, also requires a GPU with shaders for the WebGL stuff.

Cool, running on Firefox 4. It's amazing how nicely it's rendering this stuff. Makes me excited about the graphical enhancements to come on the web.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Hacking together screen-space soft penumbra shadows and ambient occlusion:

Occlusion, sunlight strength (with hard shadows), distance to occluder, and pixel depth are dumped into a single render target, then I blur that. I first take some random samples to get a weighted average of the distance to occluder (ignoring samples that are in light), then use that to scale the separated Gaussian blur. Then for each sample I weigh it based upon the difference in depth.

It's got all sorts of issues, but it looks nice sometimes. The assets are from Morrowind.

The Wizard of Oz fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 26, 2011

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I wrote a very simple virtual game console called Mako, and I'm developing a set of tools to write games with the machine. It's a fun programming exercise to create a "full stack", and Mako is simple enough that I could port it to a new language/platform in a few hours.

(I haven't had a chance to make any original graphics, so both of these demo programs just use an 8x8 font I had sitting around. I do have support for transparency and a few other effects.)

Here's the source to that first demo program, written in a variant of Forth: http://pastebin.com/1nYufkHU

I'm probably going to toss everything on GitHub in a few days once I've done some more testing and experimentation. Would anyone actually be interested in playing with it?

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

I made an Android app to remind myself about how many video games I own!

Right now you just give it a username and it pulls your publicly available collection data from RFGeneration.com and displays it in a mobile friendly format. I haven't gotten it to the market yet, but I just put out an .apk for members of the site to test out and give me feedback with. If you're interested, you can see more about it here.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Been working in my free time with a buddy on a multiplayer asteroids game. Just hit milestone 1 which was get 2 clients connected to a stand alone dedicated server. Tested it via localhost to make sure it worked and then tried it with his IP and we flew around like gay spacemen.

TheSpook
Aug 21, 2007
Spooky!

poemdexter posted:

That's no moon . . .

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

TheSpook posted:

That's no moon . . .

You're absolutely right. It's an asteroid.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
One afternoon a few months ago I thought it would be funny if there was a buttbot for Twitter. I recently got bored of the fact that it follows like 10 people so, after some tweaking, I think it's time to open it up to the public timeline :3:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Spraynard Kruger posted:

I made an Android app to remind myself about how many video games I own!

Right now you just give it a username and it pulls your publicly available collection data from RFGeneration.com and displays it in a mobile friendly format. I haven't gotten it to the market yet, but I just put out an .apk for members of the site to test out and give me feedback with. If you're interested, you can see more about it here.

A friend of mine did a site/app called vgcollect.com that is similar, check it out.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

Bob Morales posted:

A friend of mine did a site/app called vgcollect.com that is similar, check it out.
I also own/run Pwned.com that's very similar.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Update for Mako- it's on GitHub. The core of the VM is well under 200 lines long:

https://github.com/JohnEarnest/Mako/blob/master/MakoVM.java

It's still very much a work-in-progress, but it's good enough for an initial push.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

bear shark posted:

One afternoon a few months ago I thought it would be funny if there was a buttbot for Twitter. I recently got bored of the fact that it follows like 10 people so, after some tweaking, I think it's time to open it up to the public timeline :3:

:3:

there has been a few buttbots on twitter, but for some reason they keep getting disabled

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

tef posted:

:3:

there has been a few buttbots on twitter, but for some reason they keep getting disabled

I rate limit it to 2-3 posts per hour which I don't think is very spammy :ohdear:

Beardless Woman
May 5, 2004

M for Mysterious
I picked up a Nook Color a few weeks ago and was getting really tired of swapping around SD cards to get my Angry Birds Scores from my phone to my NC and vice-versa. I've also never done any Java programming, so I figured solving this problem would be a good introduction.

I came up with this: Angry Birds Cloud Sync. It's a pretty simple app that takes your Angry Birds scores (and settings too, for some reason that file is needed) and saves them remotely, to be pulled whenever you want from whichever Android device you have.

The workflow is: generate a "SyncCode" (because I hate having to give out personal information and registering for stupid little things like this), play for a while, get some new high scores, send them to ~~the cloud~~, and then pull them up on a new device (it automatically backs up what it replaces) and carry on.

Android Source
Backend (never got around to cleaning it up, it's still in the "oh poo poo, this actually works!!" state)

Beardless Woman fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 5, 2011

Dooey
Jun 30, 2009
Been working on a Facebook photo uploader with some friends for awhile. No screenshot, since it doesn't have a GUI, but basically, it works like Dropbox. You put photos in the folder, and they appear on Facebook. It also downloads your photos so you have a full sync.

https://www.upphoto.ca

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

I needed a really simple, easy to use map editor. Here's GridPad.

Drawing, erasing, copying and pasting, unlimited undo/redo and a handful of other minor features. Since I'm mainly manipulating "maps" that are embedded in source files as constant arrays I designed the tool to read and write to the system clipboard and automatically infer the dimensions of a map based on whitespace. Copy from the source file, paste it into GridPad, make a few changes, copy it back and paste it into the source file. It's not all that pretty, but it works quite nicely.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I wanted to try my hand at some Android app development, so I decided to start with a basic cigar journal and a way to keep track of the cigars a person currently has or has smoked previously. This is what I have so far:

I know it's still basic, but it's able to read in an XML file with brands/cigars/sizes and automatically displays the respective cigars when you choose the brand. I know there are a couple apps out there that do this already, but I think it could be a fun project.

dereekb
Nov 7, 2010

What do you mean "error"?
PC game:

[timg]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KEXQ_q_YBrc/TeliQm31dOI/AAAAAAAAADo/OaFYvORvnF4/s1600/632011A.png]Infinite Map![/timg]

About 3 months in so far, working on it on/off with XNA. Just about to get into populating the map with stuff.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Dooey posted:

Been working on a Facebook photo uploader with some friends for awhile. No screenshot, since it doesn't have a GUI, but basically, it works like Dropbox. You put photos in the folder, and they appear on Facebook. It also downloads your photos so you have a full sync.

https://www.upphoto.ca

How did you get authentication into a Windows program? All the documentation I've seen has been browser specific.

Internet Janitor posted:

I needed a really simple, easy to use map editor. Here's GridPad.

Your Mako stuff looks really interesting. Are you planning a post mortem write up, or do you have a blog even?

Dooey
Jun 30, 2009

gwar3k1 posted:

How did you get authentication into a Windows program? All the documentation I've seen has been browser specific.

There is a C# library we used. I don't have the link handy, I'll see if I can find it for you though.

Dooey
Jun 30, 2009
http://facebooksdk.codeplex.com/

I think thats the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Excellent! Thanks for the link