Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

(I think of the flashy style of skates, Reebok looks the best. CCM looks pretty douchey, everyone else has way too much chrome. Why doesn't anyone make a plain black skate anymore? Even Graf has the stupid neon green accents all over the place)
The supreme line is indeed pretty much black. If you're really ballin they have a special edition that IS all black. Also, I do remember us discussing our unusually wide feet at one point, and it is supposed to run wider all the way down the boot than most other brands (not that I verified any of that information). I would check out some supremes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I rock these

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the hockey store sales kids I talk to say Bauer runs narrower than Reebok. :iiam:

Once the new shipment comes in I'm going to the biggest store in the area, and ain't leaving until I've tried every skate in the store.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
/\/\/\ Go to Jerry's, assuming you're in Chicago. Not the biggest, but it is the best.

When I heard CCM was discontinuing Tacks I went out and bought a spare pair of ProTacks. I would have gotten two, but I was poor.

Tend to agree that most skates these days are hideous. Those Bauers aren't bad, though, even if they are a little shiny.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 28, 2011

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

poser posted:

I rock these

Those are nice. Reminds me a little of the Jaromir Jagr Graf specials.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

trilljester posted:

Those are nice. Reminds me a little of the Jaromir Jagr Graf specials.

I wish they came with his skills:smith:

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

All the hockey store sales kids I talk to say Bauer runs narrower than Reebok. :iiam:

Once the new shipment comes in I'm going to the biggest store in the area, and ain't leaving until I've tried every skate in the store.
Well like I said I never really put out an effort to verify that information. You on the other hand, have a golden opportunity.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

poser posted:

I rock these

i play with someone who wears those i think. he's kind of a weenie.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Lawnie posted:

He probably doesnt have my mad skillz

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Lawnie posted:

You should beat him up and take them because those are like thousand dollar skates.

Or at least laugh at him for being a weenie and buying thousand dollar skates.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bigmike posted:

You should beat him up and take them because those are like thousand dollar skates.

i'm gonna do this because seriously dude can skate like the wind but his puck skills aren't great

who am i kidding i am consistently the worst player at rat hockey; however, my skates were only $250

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

bigmike posted:

I paid less than $600 for them?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Re. skate width:

At "D" width both Bauer and CCM run about the same, right down the middle. They'd be really uncomfortable for someone with wide feet. That said, they both make a lot of E (and wider) skates that are pretty easy to find, so don't think that there is just the one option and if that doesn't fit you're SOL.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

At "D" width both Bauer and CCM run about the same, right down the middle. They'd be really uncomfortable for someone with wide feet. That said, they both make a lot of E (and wider) skates that are pretty easy to find, so don't think that there is just the one option and if that doesn't fit you're SOL.

The problem I've been running into is that even though these companies make wide skates, stores don't stock them because relatively few people actually buy them. Which is why I'm hopeful for this coming week.. maybe I can snag the one pair they ordered that actually fits. Pretty much all the sales reps at local stores are telling me "well, just order some online!" which is loving ridiculous because I am not buying a pair of skates without having some solid information to base the purchase on.

I haven't been able to find a single person who can accurately measure my foot so I could make an educated purchase. Which is why I was looking into Graf, as they have some kind of fancy foot measuring system you can use to find the perfect skate. However, none of the chucklenuts in this region actually use Graf's measuring system.

At this point, I'd even consider coughing up the cash to work with someone who has experience gearing up professional teams, but I haven't been able to find anything like that.

Maybe now that the Blackhawks are on vacation I could track down Troy Parchman. :eng101:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Ice Warehouse has free return shipping on skates so you could order some from them and return them if they don't work out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good to know. If this weekend doesn't work out I'll give them a try.. because I won't have anywhere else to go. :smith:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I feel your pain, Nashville is a complete wasteland as far as hockey retail is concerned.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

The problem I've been running into is that even though these companies make wide skates, stores don't stock them because relatively few people actually buy them. Which is why I'm hopeful for this coming week.. maybe I can snag the one pair they ordered that actually fits. Pretty much all the sales reps at local stores are telling me "well, just order some online!" which is loving ridiculous because I am not buying a pair of skates without having some solid information to base the purchase on.

I haven't been able to find a single person who can accurately measure my foot so I could make an educated purchase. Which is why I was looking into Graf, as they have some kind of fancy foot measuring system you can use to find the perfect skate. However, none of the chucklenuts in this region actually use Graf's measuring system.

At this point, I'd even consider coughing up the cash to work with someone who has experience gearing up professional teams, but I haven't been able to find anything like that.

Maybe now that the Blackhawks are on vacation I could track down Troy Parchman. :eng101:

Are any of these near you?

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
So I use a 67 flex intermediate stick because I'm like 5'7 152 lbs, is there any way in the world I am supposed to take a one-timer from my one friend/linemate who likes to slap-pass me the puck as hard as he can without my stick basically going C-shaped upon impact? It seriously flexes so hard it feels like it should just snap

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, the only big dealer for Graf in the Chicago suburbs is Total Hockey, and the kids there are pretty useless.

I tend to avoid pro shops because the service seems pretty sketchy.. they seem to get offended when you don't instantly buy something from them.

The "reputable" stores in the Chicago area (Gunzo's and Jerry's) don't carry Graf.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

toxicsunset posted:

So I use a 67 flex intermediate stick because I'm like 5'7 152 lbs, is there any way in the world I am supposed to take a one-timer from my one friend/linemate who likes to slap-pass me the puck as hard as he can without my stick basically going C-shaped upon impact? It seriously flexes so hard it feels like it should just snap

Yeah, use a stiffer stick. Or just stop the puck since you know the one-time ain't gonna work.

This isn't to pick on you, I've just been really weirded out by just how crazy whippy the sticks you guys use in here. I'm 5'6, 135 lbs and use cut down 100 flex Easton's. So it's really more like 105 or so. I have no problems getting the stick to bend for snap shot or wrist shots, and slappers work really well.

I've used down to about 85 flex, and the stick just feels like it's bending every time it touches the puck, and not at all in a good way. Just blows my mind that people are using sticks with half the flex of their body weight.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Minister Robathan posted:

I've used down to about 85 flex, and the stick just feels like it's bending every time it touches the puck, and not at all in a good way. Just blows my mind that people are using sticks with half the flex of their body weight.

During the lockout, I found an Ed Jovanovski pro-return Innovative shaft. It was like playing with a piece of rebar, and it was loving awesome. I hate whippy sticks.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Jesus I guess I'm a weird freak who takes pussy shots or something cause I'm using an Easton S7 that's an 85 flex and I'm 5'10 and about 220 or so and I don't think I've ever really felt it flex on me.

I am finally happy that my Reebok 9k's I bought almost a year ago are finally starting to feel right on my feet and don't instantly hurt.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Minister Robathan posted:

Yeah, use a stiffer stick. Or just stop the puck since you know the one-time ain't gonna work.

This isn't to pick on you, I've just been really weirded out by just how crazy whippy the sticks you guys use in here. I'm 5'6, 135 lbs and use cut down 100 flex Easton's. So it's really more like 105 or so. I have no problems getting the stick to bend for snap shot or wrist shots, and slappers work really well.

I just love the way stickhandling feels with it. You can really 'feel' the puck on the stick, it makes it so easy to stickhandle without having to look down. The whippiness is just a bonus.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

67 flex for life. My wrister is so much heavier with it.

Makes an even louder noise when I ring it off the post!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Supposedly Brett Hull used a stick that was no more than a 75 flex.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I ran across this guy on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/weissie20

Kind of cool.. he takes clips from NHL games and dissects the plays with an eye towards education.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

shyguy posted:

Supposedly Brett Hull used a stick that was no more than a 75 flex.

And none of us are Brett Hull.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yup. Put more weight on your stick.

I'm 5'8" 157lbs and I use a slightly-cut-down 85 flex. Seems about right.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

67 flex for life. My wrister is so much heavier with it.

Makes an even louder noise when I ring it off the post!

A guy I play with uses a stick like that. His wrist shot is retarded, but he has absolutely no slapper.

In other news, I finally took my 2 1/2 year old skating today for the first time during my lunch break. I didn't anticipate him staying on the ice for more than 5 minutes before we headed out.

None the less, I met my g/f and him there, and we both laced up (which was pretty cool alone, admittedly), and I stepped out onto the ice first, and tried to get him to walk/skate to me. He didn't know what the hell was going on that first step. But I glided him around a little bit, and tried to get him to put weight on both feet and get a feeling for how to move. He wasn't totally receptive, but at least tried it.

I got a pusher for him to try for a bit, but after about 10 minutes of messing around, and him sitting on the ice for a few, he decided he had enough, and wanted off.

I'm not sure he's ready for it yet, which is fine, I might give it a shot again in a couple weeks to see how he feels about it, and go from there. I'm actually not that desperate to get him to go out, its my g/f. Either way, I'm sure he'll enjoy it at some point or another, I just don't wanna push him.

Best conversation, as I was buckling him into the car;

Me: So did you have fun today?
Him: Yeah
Me: Do you want to go skating again?
Him: No
Me: Well maybe we will go again in a week or two.
Him: Yeah, a week or two. It was too slippery.

UnmaskedGremlin fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 29, 2011

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I finally took my 2 1/2 year old skating today for the first time during my lunch break. I didn't anticipate him staying on the ice for more than 5 minutes before we headed out.

None the less, I met my g/f and him there, and we both laced up (which was pretty cool alone, admittedly), and I stepped out onto the ice first, and tried to get him to walk/skate to me. He didn't know what the hell was going on that first step. But I glided him around a little bit, and tried to get him to put weight on both feet and get a feeling for how to move. He wasn't totally receptive, but at least tried it.

I got a pusher for him to try for a bit, but after about 10 minutes of messing around, and him sitting on the ice for a few, he decided he had enough, and wanted off.

I'm not sure he's ready for it yet, which is fine, I might give it a shot again in a couple weeks to see how he feels about it, and go from there. I'm actually not that desperate to get him to go out, its my g/f. Either way, I'm sure he'll enjoy it at some point or another, I just don't wanna push him.

Best conversation, as I was buckling him into the car;

Me: So did you have fun today?
Him: Yeah
Me: Do you want to go skating again?
Him: No
Me: Well maybe we will go again in a week or two.
Him: Yeah, a week or two. It was too slippery.

kid sounds drat cute. I want a little kid to teach how to skate (i'm 20 i shouldn't be baby crazy what is wrong with me)

anyway, my IM season is over and after we defaulted into the playoffs because one team didn't show up to play us (making our regular season record 1-3 though we would have been 0-4 if not for that forfeit), we played a loving great game, taking the lead 3 times, only to lose 5-4. it was sort of sad that the season is over already but it was a really great learning experience and i'd definitely play with all those guys again.

the one thing I think I need to work on the most is doing everything stick-wise harder. I already skate as hard as I can, but even winning races to loose pucks doesn't mean a whole lot if you can't get any power behind a pass or a shot or can't out-battle someone with stick work against the boards. I'd really like to figure out how to hammer the puck up the boards out of the defensive zone, since I'm really more interested in playing defense than scoring goals, oddly enough. any tips for stronger stick skills? I'm using a 65 flex intermediate stick slightly cut down, since I'm such a small weak little bitch (5'10", 145lbs).

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

kid stoke

haha...dude I'm totally in your boat. My son is 10 months and I can't wait to teach him how to skate and make sports times.

--

First game of the playoffs on Sunday. Wish us luck.

"One, two, three...hard work!"

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Lawnie posted:

the one thing I think I need to work on the most is doing everything stick-wise harder. I already skate as hard as I can, but even winning races to loose pucks doesn't mean a whole lot if you can't get any power behind a pass or a shot or can't out-battle someone with stick work against the boards. I'd really like to figure out how to hammer the puck up the boards out of the defensive zone, since I'm really more interested in playing defense than scoring goals, oddly enough. any tips for stronger stick skills? I'm using a 65 flex intermediate stick slightly cut down, since I'm such a small weak little bitch (5'10", 145lbs).

Start by trying a stiffer stick. The flex only works for you when you have time to really load it up. The quick jabs/passes of the type you need to make under pressure to clear the puck are much easier if you have less flex. If you're playing defense you'll want any shots you take to be along the ice anyway, so less flex will serve you well there also. And buy an adult stick fer crissake.

Aside from that, though, battles along the boards are more about body position than they are about stick work. This comes down to two things:

1. Figure out ways to signal going one way before going the other. For example: dip your left shoulder before cutting right as you're going into the corner; approach the puck with the backhand before switching to the forehand; start in one direction then quickly cut back the other way; use head fakes. Look into the glass to get a read on where your opponent is based on the reflection. Also practice trying to read the same stuff in opposing players and trying to dictate which route they take: If you're chasing someone into the corner, lead with your stick to one side while cheating with your body to the other. Tap the sides of their skate with your stick to make them think you're coming from that side. That kind of thing.

2. Winning battles in the corners is all about boxing your opponent out. Bend your knees, lean forward and stick your butt out to protect the puck by denying your opponent a clear line to it. Brace yourself against the boards if you need to. Set your feet wide to make it harder for your opponent to reach around you. I've taken to calling this the Larry Craig position.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Green Submarine posted:

Start by trying a stiffer stick. The flex only works for you when you have time to really load it up. The quick jabs/passes of the type you need to make under pressure to clear the puck are much easier if you have less flex. If you're playing defense you'll want any shots you take to be along the ice anyway, so less flex will serve you well there also. And buy an adult stick fer crissake.

Aside from that, though, battles along the boards are more about body position than they are about stick work. This comes down to two things:

1. Figure out ways to signal going one way before going the other. For example: dip your left shoulder before cutting right as you're going into the corner; approach the puck with the backhand before switching to the forehand; start in one direction then quickly cut back the other way; use head fakes. Look into the glass to get a read on where your opponent is based on the reflection. Also practice trying to read the same stuff in opposing players and trying to dictate which route they take: If you're chasing someone into the corner, lead with your stick to one side while cheating with your body to the other. Tap the sides of their skate with your stick to make them think you're coming from that side. That kind of thing.

2. Winning battles in the corners is all about boxing your opponent out. Bend your knees, lean forward and stick your butt out to protect the puck by denying your opponent a clear line to it. Brace yourself against the boards if you need to. Set your feet wide to make it harder for your opponent to reach around you. I've taken to calling this the Larry Craig position.

Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty sure I'm going to play rat today so I'll try playing with the first wood stick I got that is a much stiffer flex and see how that goes.

btw this thread loving rules. I just started playing at the beginning of this semester and I've gotten much, much better just based on a lot of what gets discussed here. SAS in general is pretty much what made my :10bux: worth it

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Dangerllama posted:

haha...dude I'm totally in your boat. My son is 10 months and I can't wait to teach him how to skate and make sports times.

Lawnie posted:

kid sounds drat cute. I want a little kid to teach how to skate (i'm 20 i shouldn't be baby crazy what is wrong with me)

haha, yeah he's fuckin hilarious sometimes. He's at the point where about 80% of what he says you can understand, but most of it is so random and off the wall, its hilarious. Plus he always seems to be willing to try something out, and then decide whether he'll ever do it again or not (which I really like).

And while I'm excited for him to try sports of all kinds (he's really been enjoying soccer alot), I am trying to be as low pressure as possible. The last thing I want to do is push him too hard and have him hate said sport forever. Although if he's anything like my father and me, he'll be fine.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

poser posted:

I rock these

Those look like those training skates that little kids wear for their introductory skate. Ugly.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

dyn posted:

Those look like those training skates that little kids wear for their introductory skate. Ugly.

you're ugly:colbert:

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

dyn posted:

We now must commission a study to find whether black or white skates have any potential to hide foot positioning when a defender is looking at you. Those skates own by the way.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

WouldDesk posted:

We now must commission a study to find whether black or white skates have any potential to hide foot positioning when a defender is looking at you. Those skates own by the way.

White skates = You are a douchebag like Ryan Smyth and Matt Duchene. I think that dickhead Kovalev wears them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

trilljester posted:

White skates = You are a douchebag like Ryan Smyth and Matt Duchene. I think that dickhead Kovalev wears them too.
He does.

When I got my 9k's I specifically tried to find the all black ones because I thought the black/white ones looked like rear end.

Cue a few months later and a buddy on my team showed up with 'em and boy was I right.