Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

Speaking of Grantland, A.J. Daulerio decided to write a huge pile of words about Grantland and negotiations with Tommy Craggs and then openly admitted at the end that the column he's just penned could put Craggs' potential contract with ESPN in Jeopardy.

Seriously: http://deadspin.com/#!5796720/an-exclusive-interview-with-tommy-craggs-about-the-bill-simmons-grantland-project

That dude is such an unbelievable shithead. I wonder if Leitch ever feels bad about leaving him in charge and letting Deadspin go to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

morestuff posted:

But he JUST HAD TO GET IT OUT THERE, OUT OF DUTY

Also, this had one of the more-tortured metaphors I've seen recently (it's also a lovely article):

ahh, the lovely forced analogies of deadline writing

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MorningView posted:

That dude is such an unbelievable shithead. I wonder if Leitch ever feels bad about leaving him in charge and letting Deadspin go to poo poo.
IIRC in the GQ interview with Daulerio he admitted that Leitch doesn't like talking to him about Deadspin very much anymore.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

quote:

Even Will Leitch, the founding editor of Deadspin and one of Daulerio's closest friends, has gotten a little queasy. At first, Leitch talked with Daulerio constantly about the site, hashing out ideas and offering advice. But in July 2009, when Daulerio posted a link to the Erin Andrews stalker video, Leitch thought he went too far. They remain close but no longer talk about Deadspin. Leitch, now a writer for New York magazine, told me he wouldn't have published the Favre photos: "I never wanted people to feel like they needed to take a shower."

Daulerio is exactly the kind of person Nick Denton wants working for him

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Here is a link: click

In the link is a piece written by a basketball player. I will not tell you what is in the link. All I will tell you to do is read it all the way to the end.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Ahahaha that is a Shyamalan-caliber twist at the end

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
if it isn't the ol Twizzler-eating fat woman in a movie theater motif

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Shirley wrote a pretty funny book and has good musical taste but man is he a terrible person.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Not sure what that has to do with sports exactly

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crazy Ted posted:

In the link is a piece written by a basketball player. I will not tell you what is in the link. All I will tell you to do is read it all the way to the end.

what on earth :staredog:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I don't know, I pretty much agree that voting Republican is the moral equivalent of setting someone on fire.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Mornacale posted:

I don't know, I pretty much agree that voting Republican is the moral equivalent of setting someone on fire.
After privatizing the fire department and replacing water faucets with vending machines.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Crazy Ted posted:

:lol:

I think he should stick to sports.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
How is it possible that a human being cannot write onomatopoeia

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Well, that was certainly an article.

Tampopo did the crowded theater better anyway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6E7CKEM1ys)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Crazy Ted posted:

Oh Paul, what have you become?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Paul Shirley was the guy that blamed Haitians for the earthquake, right?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The broken bones posted:

Yes, and got fired from his writing gig at ESPN for it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The broken bones posted:

He did what to the who now?

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

Hand Knit posted:

He did what to the who now?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/26/paul-shirley-to-haiti-may_n_437725.html

Paul Shirley posted:

Dear Haitians -

First of all, kudos on developing the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Your commitment to human rights, infrastructure, and birth control should be applauded.

As we prepare to assist you in this difficult time, a polite request: If it's possible, could you not re-build your island home in the image of its predecessor? Could you not resort to the creation of flimsy shanty- and shack-towns? And could some of you maybe use a condom once in a while?

Sincerely,

The Rest of the World

BOOTSTRAPS

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
I woudn't care if what he wrote was eminently reasonable and fair, the fact that he signed his entry as The Rest of the World is a fireable offense for me anyway. How smug can you be.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
my favorite part is when he blames the citizens of Haiti for their government being corrupt.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

The broken bones posted:

my favorite part is when he blames the citizens of Haiti for their government being corrupt.

lol why aren't you guys more dedicated to human rights then lololo

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Crazy Ted posted:

He mentions that a woman is doing all of the things that are available to her because much of it is available in the free market (and brings up corn syrup of all things in the rant) then tries a slight quip at voting Republican?

I...just... :psypop:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I think that piece is supposed to be some kind of dark comedy bit but it's just really bad.

Also my favorite thing about his dumb Haiti column is the idea that they can just rebuild with modern structures instead of shanty towns because he suggests it

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

balancedbias posted:

He mentions that a woman is doing all of the things that are available to her because much of it is available in the free market (and brings up corn syrup of all things in the rant) then tries a slight quip at voting Republican?

I...just... :psypop:

High fructose corn syrup and epidemic obesity are actually connected concepts in American culture to be fair.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

leokitty posted:

I think that piece is supposed to be some kind of dark comedy bit but it's just really bad.

Also my favorite thing about his dumb Haiti column is the idea that they can just rebuild with modern structures instead of shanty towns because he suggests it

Hmm...how should we rebuild? Let's try not being poor this time and see fi that works! :downs:

The theater thing was just dumb. The Haiti thing is offensive as hell. gently caress that guy forever.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
First two Grantland pieces are up.

I'm not familiar with Molly Lambert, but her summer movie preview is atrociously written.

Don't like Katie Baker's piece via my blanket gently caress the Knicks clause.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
where are you seeing them? main site still has "coming soon."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

The broken bones posted:

where are you seeing them? main site still has "coming soon."

Simmons posted them on his Twitter. Here's the Katie Baker piece.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
so is Grantland supposed to be a repository for long-winded New Journalism relating to sports

is Bill Simmons considered the best we got nowadays (edit: not a fan, I felt obliged to note this), Hunter S. Thompson is pretty drat dead

swizz fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 3, 2011

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

Cool article about Chris Paul http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6436820

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

swizz posted:

so is Grantland supposed to be a repository for long-winded New Journalism relating to sports

is Bill Simmons considered the best we got nowadays (edit: not a fan, I felt obliged to note this), Hunter S. Thompson is pretty drat dead

As far as I can tell, it's basically just a hodgepodge of sports and pop culture writers that Simmons likes.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Couple of Bin Laden and sports things courtesy of deadspin

http://deadspin.com/!5797774/why-yes-one-cleveland-writer-did-make-osama-bin-ladens-death-about-lebron-james

http://deadspin.com/!5797646/bin-ladens-death-means-something-or-other-for-the-nfl-lockout-according-to-some-poo poo-mike-florio-threw-at-the-wall

Jesus loving Christ.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Your links are broke.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

In the category of masturbatory awards shows, it has come to my attention that they give Sports Emmys. Bob Costas won for outstanding sports personality. You read that correctly. Your winner for best piece of sports journalism was Real Sports With Bryan Gumbel: The Missing Link (about which I can't really find any information)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm pretty sure Bob Costas wins almost every year. Joe Morgan also has like 20 of them.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The Grantland header is terrible, the quote text is unreadable

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Mornacale posted:

Your links are broke.

Exclamation points break links on the forums. This makes linking to twitters a pain in the rear end now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

leokitty posted:

The Grantland header is terrible, the quote text is unreadable

The Grantland header was the best part of the entire article, dunno what you mean by terrible