Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I bought a pair of Harley-Davidson Road King Classic hard bags today.

Posted a want at on Craigslist and got what I wanted for the price I wanted [which was approx half the going rate on Ebay].

I even shooped together a concept:

(my hosting, click it to make big)

Cant wait to get these badboys on the bike. I think the bags are a little smaller than the scale in the composite photo there, which is A-OK, I intend to mount them as fore as possible, as close to the pipe as I am comfortable mounting a plastic bag. I have Easy Brackets already and a plan for a stabilizer bar across the rear, running under the fender.

I gotta say these are probably the most solid "universal" bags I've encountered. Walls are thick, and the leather is high quality - they blow the Yamaha factory leather wrapped bags out of the drat water, and folks value these less than the Yammy units. The only hang-up is they're molded for the shocks on a Road King so that sacrifices some internal dimension. And with the Easy Brackets, they'll mount a little further off the fender [stupid Vstar has a WIDE rear end swing-arm so all the brackets made for the bike had some stupid wide offset].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Got it yesterday, tried to find a spot for it in my expendable income box (garage)

Found out it was previously owned by a literal Illinois Nazi and instantly covered up any indicators.

Rode in to work my first time ever.

Tomorrow I'm going to take a non lovely picture of it.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Isn't that a Japanese bike? I wonder if he's one of those white supremacists who considers Asians to be de-facto whites.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Not only is it a Japanese bike but its modded in a way that you'd spend quite a bit getting JDM parts to make it look like this. White supremacist that loves Japanese subculture!

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Orderd a second set of fork seals for my CB900C, went with a more OEM style with new spacers. No idea why the allballs failed but I will be sure to take pictures on dissasembly.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Finished rebuilding the DRZ engine, then did some much needed maintenance on the jickser - heli coiled a hole, put on the front sprocket guard, drilled out and re-tapped the broken shifter security bolt, oil change, couple gaskets replaced.

It's been a productive day!

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
The Vino as it was...

I wasn't a huge fan of the color, so I removed the body panels and painted them.

I discovered just how much damage that a previous owner's spill caused.

And after applying a few zillion coats of Krylon Fusion and letting it sit for an hour , I bolted it back together.

Now the unnecessary warning labels are covered up.

It's unknown how durable that finish will be, but it was a few bucks so I'm not going to care too much.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The cool thing about Krylon Fusion on most plastics is that it dyes the plastic underneath, so even if the top paintish coating chips or scratches away the plastic underneath is the same color so it's not as noticeable.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Rode 300 some miles, forgot my ear plugs, let my helmet drop off my bike, almost binned it and missed out on a big day drinking day. Oh well, worth it.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
I pulled about 1/3 of a quart of oil out of my bike. Since I just got it Friday I don't trust a dealership to do it right. Of course when I went to check the oil, it was about 1/2 and inch above the F mark on the dipstick. It's kinda hard to tell since the oil is fresh and is very clear. It's still about and 1/8th of an inch above the F still, but I'll take some more out later since I'm in no mood to do anything else with the bike.

The reason for this was I dropped it taking it off the center stand. Turn signal pushed in and cracked the fairing. Along a couple scrapes, nothing major, but it still hurts to have done that.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Completed

* Grease steering stem
* Install radiator guard
* Identify Fuzeblock and turn signal placement
* Install turn signals
* Tweak lever adjustment/height, swap risers from KLR (risers too tall, stock bars OK)
* Install G2 throttle tube with slow cam (stupid snatchy low-speed FI)
* Install Fuzeblock, cut and crimp wires, test fit electricals
* Check/adjust valves (doing it 15K early, as 26k intervals are recommended) - not doing this, gently caress removing the throttle bodies
* Possibly change fork oil, but after spending 4 days loving with my KLR suspension I'd rather not do this given that Yamaha doesn't ask for it - nevermind this
* Purchase SAE pigtail (RadioShack)
* Call Cyclegear for available Firstgear heated vest sizes, call Warm'n'Safe, call Gerbing
* Purchase Warmnsafe size Small Gen 4 heated gear and wireless remote
* Purchase new straps for Dromedary bags - REI 2"
* Continue fitting Dromedary fuel/water bags
* Purchase Symtec heated grips
* Input new FMF fuel programmer settings
* Install new o-ring chain
* Install carbon felt heat guard
* Install new handlebars with less sweep, compare to stock
* Install handguards and bar end weights
* Install Tusk handlebar mitts (Hippo hands)
* Install No-Toil air filter
* Install new Progrip 714 grips
* Drill mounting holes and install 4" tool tube
* Install new SAE connectors and final fit all electricals
* Install IMS gas tank
* Install new spark plug
* Fresh oil and filter

To-Do

* Top off oil
* Wire up chargers
* Purchase voltmeter and wire it up

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 21, 2011

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I helped replace the drive belt on a Buell Ulysses. Took maybe 40 minutes start to finish. We spent more time than that making a bike lift cradle for the round muffler on the belly.

That XB12 always surprises me with how easy it is to work on.

Sir.Tucker
Sep 17, 2006

For the Workforce!
Installed Pod Filters on my 1992 Yamaha XJ600. Just testing fit. I have yet to install my 4-1 Vance and Hines Exhaust System. Also need to find someone to help me properly jet for these upgrades. I have a Jet kit coming in the mail. :3

Sir.Tucker fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 3, 2011

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Sir.Tucker posted:

Installed Pod Filters on my 1992 Yamaha XJ600. Just testing fit. I have yet to install my 4-1 Vance and Hines Exhaust System. Also need to find someone to help me properly jet for these upgrades. I have a Jet kit coming in the mail. :3

drat, I really hope you can jet properly for those pods and exhaust cause it looks bitchin' :D

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I found out that I have a "parking" position that leaves the tail light on. I also got to figure out how to jumpstart my new bike. I also found out that my rear brake switch isn't attached, so blinking the rear brake to warn people I'm engine braking hasn't been working all day.

I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I installed my new turn signals on the DT175. They all get power but not at the same time and there is no flashing going on. Not sure if I just have them pluged into the wrong connectors or if the flasher relay is bad. My head light is also still not turning on but it might have something to do with the turn signals too.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
:golfclap:

When did this take place?

Also Spiffness, where are you in the NW?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I found out that I have a "parking" position that leaves the tail light on. I also got to figure out how to jumpstart my new bike. I also found out that my rear brake switch isn't attached, so blinking the rear brake to warn people I'm engine braking hasn't been working all day.

I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

This sounds like exactly my experience with the wife's new-to-her old Magna a couple seasons ago.

Day 1: battery dead, taillight stays on in lock, what the heck, avoid locking it
Day 2: brake light stays on all the time, switch out of adjustment, what the heck Hinshaw Honda

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Spiffness posted:

Haha, that's awesome. You guys are hooliganing around on wet roads, and I'm afraid to ride on them. I guess I need to stop being so paranoid.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

orthod0ks posted:

Haha, that's awesome. You guys are hooliganing around on wet roads, and I'm afraid to ride on them. I guess I need to stop being so paranoid.

Usually I tell folks that riding in wet is like riding in dry, just don't do a lot of hooligan poo poo and you are A-OK, hahah.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

clutchpuck posted:

Usually I tell folks that riding in wet is like riding in dry, just don't do a lot of hooligan poo poo and you are A-OK, hahah.

Yea, I'm totally paranoid about losing grip in a turn. I've slid on gravel a couple times, so it's not totally unfounded, but I've always recovered.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

henne posted:

When did this take place?

Also Spiffness, where are you in the NW?

Yesterday. It rained all morning and midday and then about 3 PM stopped and by 4 PM it was freaking gorgeous out

I'm in the north end of western Washington

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Looking forward to SR 20 opening this year? I did it once last year, east-to-west and got caught, completely unprepared, in a rainy western-WA day. This was almost immediately after being written a $247 speeding ticket eastbound on Stevens.

Worst ride ever. Worst riding season in the lowlands, ever. I am cautiously optimistic for this year.

[I did beat that ticket though]

This is one of my favorite quick-ride destinations:

Mt. Erie, near Anacortes. I usually mosey up through Tulalip, take in the view, and then cut across to 9 on my way home.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 3, 2011

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

orthod0ks posted:

Yea, I'm totally paranoid about losing grip in a turn. I've slid on gravel a couple times, so it's not totally unfounded, but I've always recovered.

I'd say gravel is worse than wet asphalt. The only time wet roads are really bad is either in the first 10 minutes of rain or so, or if you're going over painted portions of a road (like a crosswalk).

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

Looking forward to SR 20 opening this year?

Mt. Erie, near Anacortes.

Sure am! A while back Zool and I headed out across 20 till we were deep in Eastern WA, then North in to Canadia and West through the mountains again. That ended up being an 850 mile day on the KTM, and one of my favorite motorcycling memories.

Mt. Erie is a spot I hit a few times a year. I love it up there. It's always been a bit of a special spot with my family.

I'm really excited for Mt. Baker highway to clear up a little bit more. Never done that one on a bike before.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

orthod0ks posted:

Note puddle under my rear wheel:

And hoisting a stoppie:

orthod0ks posted:

We definitely weren't flying through the corners but when it's wet out you can pull just about anything you'd like. Spiff was on DOT Race tires even, I was on Contiforce SMs (on Zool's bike :xd:).

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

I'd say gravel is worse than wet asphalt. The only time wet roads are really bad is either in the first 10 minutes of rain or so, or if you're going over painted portions of a road (like a crosswalk).

I had to do a U turn at a roundabout once because I'd missed my turning. Half way round I'm greeted by something like this across my lane

My back wheel starts slipping all over the place and there's nowhere for me to go with all the traffic in the other lanes. Many bricks were shat until I could straighten up and get out of the turn. I was still a learner at the time and now I have a very healthy suspicion of wet road markings.

Forty Two fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 3, 2011

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

(on Zool's bike :xd:).

I didn't know you were going to wheelie the thing! Now I can't put never wheelied never driven in the rain on the craigslist ad when I go to sell it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tried to figure out where the brake switch wires went. Got the tank off and found something odd: someone has expertly dremelled a hole in the airbox directly under where the fuel sending unit goes. Why? :iiam:.

Also a mystery: where the hell my camera went so I can get some good pix of the new-to-me bike. The camera in my phone went all strange with the newest ROM, and the color balance is whacked and the phone reboots after every picture.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
cleaned up some wiring and changed the oil.

poo poo looks pretty rough, hopefully thats break in chunks from the 230 kit that was installed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The worst ENFIELDS don't look that bad on the first oil change, and the original engine pistons were fit by an Indian dude measuring pressure with his thumb. Holy cow

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Washington looks awesome :) Damnit, I need to graduate already :mad:

titanium posted:

Got it yesterday, tried to find a spot for it in my expendable income box (garage)

Pics of the dime (510)?

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

titanium posted:

Found out it was previously owned by a literal Illinois Nazi and instantly covered up any indicators.

Rode in to work my first time ever.

Tomorrow I'm going to take a non lovely picture of it.

That TW is badass. They're awesome bikes. I think I had more fun on mine than on my Ninja zx600c. I've actually been thinking of selling the ninja to get another TW.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Geirskogul posted:

The worst ENFIELDS don't look that bad on the first oil change, and the original engine pistons were fit by an Indian dude measuring pressure with his thumb. Holy cow

The weird part is that aside from not 100% perfect tuning it seems to run fine. Gas mileage isnt great but that might be part of the tuning. If its going to die hard I'm sure I'll find out soon enough. The guy did that 230 swap which makes me wonder if the previous setup exploded, the oil drain plug has a very strong magnet and the sift and magnet had nothing out of the ordinary attached. I'm hoping these are remnants of a previous failure and not an impending one.

Better view of the TW

Better view of the 510

My classified ad made it to Jalopnik last week but it's sold since.

titanium fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 4, 2011

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Tried to figure out where the brake switch wires went. Got the tank off and found something odd: someone has expertly dremelled a hole in the airbox directly under where the fuel sending unit goes. Why? :iiam:.

Also a mystery: where the hell my camera went so I can get some good pix of the new-to-me bike. The camera in my phone went all strange with the newest ROM, and the color balance is whacked and the phone reboots after every picture.

I'm guessing that is some sort of airbox mod. Supposedly that should give you more power, but I'm not sure what else you'd have to do to get it right.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Speed holes!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVV_COOey0E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Aftermarket fuel pump with a secondary "trap door" activated by a button that can squirt fuel directly into the air intake for EXTRA POWAH