Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

fishmech posted:

You're better off turning the page file down to something like 1 gb than turning it off completely, actually.

So here's something interesting - all this SSD/pagefile talk just made me go check what mine was set to seeing as I'm using an SSD. It's disabled. This is strange, as I have no recollection of doing that and it's not something I would do anyway. Now I'm wondering how the hell that happened. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Windows does everything in its power to keep it on... so that's pretty weird.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Good idea in general, but definitely not the case with IDT, which explicitly states that they won't distribute drivers of any kind and tells you to go to the vendor's site.

Is there another laptop that uses the same sound chip?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lum posted:

Is there another laptop that uses the same sound chip?

Quick search suggests HP might be one, and Alienware, but they're owned by Dell, so same diff.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Even within other Dell models, if they're slightly newer they may provide newer drivers.

Dell seem to abandon their hardware after a certain age and stop providing updates. I suspect they abandon them even quicker with their consumer models.

bingo night
Aug 22, 2010
I recently had a trojan on my computer, reinstalled win 7 & XP mode. Win 7 is protected by f-secure, XP mode by MSE.

According to my understanding, the integration features in Win XP mode enable the virtual machine to access the host computer drives, meaning a virus could move from the virtual machine to the host.

Do I gain anything in security (viruses, trojans, etc.) by removing my C: disk from the shared drives?

All I really need to transfer between the machines can be handled by the clipboard, what would be the safest way to do so?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Windows now makes my icons 3 wide, and its cutting them off and irritating me. Any idea on a fix?

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000
I came back from vacation, installed a shitload of updates (including SP1) and when I restarted both BIOS and Windows fails to recognize my SSD.

What the hell? I've changed IDE slots, disabled all the other drives, unplugged everything and it still doesn't recognize the drive. I'm totally baffled.

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

" posted:

-[ate_Sandwich"]
I came back from vacation, installed a shitload of updates (including SP1) and when I restarted both BIOS and Windows fails to recognize my SSD.

What the hell? I've changed IDE slots, disabled all the other drives, unplugged everything and it still doesn't recognize the drive. I'm totally baffled.

Check the SSD thread - this happens to SSD drives sometimes. Your drive "locked" because it didn't like something or could be dead. The two solutions are: wait for a few days with it powered on the whole time and see if it comes back, or RMA it for a replacement.

]-[ate_Sandwich
Nov 27, 2000

LoKout posted:

Check the SSD thread - this happens to SSD drives sometimes. Your drive "locked" because it didn't like something or could be dead. The two solutions are: wait for a few days with it powered on the whole time and see if it comes back, or RMA it for a replacement.

Wow, really? There's nothing about that in the OP but drat, that's awful. Time to RMA this poo poo, but man is that annoying.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

So certain programs (most notably 3D Mark 2011 and Just Cause 2) Cause windows to steal focus from my fullscreen game to advise me that my computer is running slowly and would I like to switch my colour scheme to Windows Basic.

Every time I pick "No, leave Aero on and don't ask me again" but after the next reboot, the next time I start either of those programs, it asks me again.

How can I make it actually honour the "don't ask me again" part?

For bonus points. I set compatibility on 3D Mark 2011 to disable visual themes and desktop composition, but it's ignoring this too even though you can go back into the properties and they remain ticked.

Other programs where I've set this compatibility option (e.g. Painkiller Resurrection) it's taken the setting and used it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's the best free ePub reader?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

kri kri posted:

Windows now makes my icons 3 wide, and its cutting them off and irritating me. Any idea on a fix?

Unlock the start bar and drag it to the width you want then lock it again? I have the problem occasionally on XP where the width of the start bar must change every once in a while because my quick launch icons will go from 4 wide to 3 wide and I have to play with the bar width to re-fix it.

Sup vertical start bar buddy :)

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Squibbles posted:

I switched to it a while ago on my laptop to get a little more vertical space, and it really didn't take as long to get used to as I thought it would.

Unrelated to that, is there any way to remove "show desktop" from the task switcher without reverting to the old XP version of it?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I use dual monitors and keep my start bar vertical on the left side of the right hand screen.

This keeps the main (left) screen clear for showing maximum real-estate. And I found that quite often my mouse movement was to click the top right corner to close a window then bring the mouse to the bottom left corner to click the Start button. I figured, why not just move those two things closer together and it has worked out splendidly for me :)

Additionally it keeps all the items on the start bar nice and central for working on either monitor without having to use some kind of third party software to duplicate or extend the bar onto both monitors.

sultan_of_bling
Apr 30, 2006
Huh?
Can anyone recommend something I can use to stream video over the internet to a pc/laptop?

I'm traveling quite a bit lately and would like to be able to watch TV/movies that are on my file server at home on my laptop in a hotel or airport. I'm using Subsonic for music and while it can transcode and stream video I'm not in love with the interface. It seems to force you to watch the video embedded in the web client - I'd like to just use VLC or Media Player.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Josh Lyman posted:

What's the best free ePub reader?

Calibre.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Grawl posted:

Calibre.
That seems completely overkill just for reading. I just use Adobe Digital Editions.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That seems completely overkill just for reading. I just use Adobe Digital Editions.

Perhaps, but I don't really need an ePub reader because I use an eReader so I guess Calibre is best for me. At least Calibre can read other formats too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

sultan_of_bling posted:

Can anyone recommend something I can use to stream video over the internet to a pc/laptop?

I'm traveling quite a bit lately and would like to be able to watch TV/movies that are on my file server at home on my laptop in a hotel or airport. I'm using Subsonic for music and while it can transcode and stream video I'm not in love with the interface. It seems to force you to watch the video embedded in the web client - I'd like to just use VLC or Media Player.

I think TVersity can do this. I know it works wonderfully for streaming across a network, but I'm not sure about Internet.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

How does foobar2000 compare to Media Monkey? These two programs seem like the most popular alternatives. The main differences I've noticed are that foobar is modular while Media Monkey seems like iTunes-lite. I want to make the switch from iTunes, and I'm not sure where to look. I've been using it for so long I'm not very familiar with other programs anymore (I used to use winamp back when napster was still cool).

Didn't know there was a foobar thread!

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 30, 2011

evale
Dec 20, 2009

Squibbles posted:

A vertical task bar set to auto hide is the best use of screen real estate.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is it normal for a clean Windows 7 Pro x64 install to take up 13gb?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Is it normal for a clean Windows 7 Pro x64 install to take up 13gb?
Sounds about right.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a way to trim that at all? I'm running off a 40GB SSD, it's not a big deal but it'd be nice.

evale
Dec 20, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Is there a way to trim that at all? I'm running off a 40GB SSD, it's not a big deal but it'd be nice.

Remove Windows components you don't need from Control Panel->Programs. Maybe run CCleaner for a general clean up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Welp, apparently Lenovo and Corsair SSDs don't play nice - resuming from sleep results in a BSOD and apparently using hibernate doesn't work at all, and now I am stuck in an infinite boot loop.

Your computer can't come out of hibernation.
Your computer will be rebooted. Any information that was not saved before the computer went into hibernation will be lost.

Yeah, same poo poo every reboot. Ideas?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

BlackMK4 posted:

Welp, apparently Lenovo and Corsair SSDs don't play nice - resuming from sleep results in a BSOD and apparently using hibernate doesn't work at all, and now I am stuck in an infinite boot loop.

Your computer can't come out of hibernation.
Your computer will be rebooted. Any information that was not saved before the computer went into hibernation will be lost.

Yeah, same poo poo every reboot. Ideas?

When in the process does that come up? Is there enough time to mash F8 or tap escape to pause the restore?

I have a terrible, brute-force idea: plug the drive into another PC and delete hiberfil.sys. Or maybe you could start to a LiveCD or recovery disc and edit boot.ini to do a safe boot instead of attempt to come out of hibernate, then reboot to normal from there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
First thing upon boot. Lenovo support forum saved me here, apparently you have to mash space bar on boot and choose to delete the hibernation file. There is no where that tells you that you can do this and google didn't even have anything about it.

:suicide:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I guess this is the closest (active) thread to ask about a random VPN. I need a proxy/VPN for only 4-5 times per month at most, and then, not even every month. Bandwidth would vary based on HD, etc but I'm just curious on who to use.

Any suggestions?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I have a driver/functionality question regarding my sound card. I recently reinstalled Windows 7, and I'd like my audio devices to behave like they did before the reinstall. I don't remember what I did, but previously sound would transmit through my speakers and my headphones (via the front case ports) simultaneously. I liked this setup because I could just turn off the speakers and switch to the headphones whenever the situation called for it, without having to mess with Windows settings or whatever.

Now, sound will only transmit through one or the other, and I have to manually change my default device in the Windows sound settings if I want to switch between the speakers and headphones. Is this a driver issue? I'm using the onboard sound on the Asus P5K-E WIFI motherboard if that makes a difference. I've tried googling for a solution but nothing I've found so far has worked the way I want it to.

Alters
Mar 4, 2010

I was recently thinking of getting a new computer and wanted to mirror my current Windows 7 install to the new computer. After searching it up to see what kind of issues I could/would come up with, it seems I should be able to do it fine except for one major issue

The problem is it ends up my current Windows 7 install on my laptop is an OEM key. After a bit of googling it seems changing this can be practically impossible, or at least not easy by any means.

Is there any way I could go out and buy a boxed Windows 7 so that I wouldn't have an OEM key, change my current OEM key to the new cd-key, and mirror my harddrive over?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can download the media from Microsoft or Amazon for free (I'd link it but I wouldn't want to get banned for filez even though it's not) and install with the OEM key, you just have to activate by phone and explain.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

BlackMK4 posted:

You can download the media from Microsoft or Amazon for free (I'd link it but I wouldn't want to get banned for filez even though it's not) and install with the OEM key, you just have to activate by phone and explain.

This won't work, unless it's a system from a tiny boutique manufacturer. You're not supposed to transfer OEM activations between systems. Microsoft looks the other way for the generic "For System Builders" copies sold through places like Newegg, but for major manufacturers like Dell, HP, and Lenovo, the activation is locked to a key in the system's BIOS. It may be possible to get another copy of Windows and reactivate it, but there would be a lot of hoops to jump through. It'd probably be easier to just do a clean install on the new system, and run Easy Transfer to bring everything over.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This may be a Windows question, or it may be a general question, or it may be some other kind of question, but here goes:

I find myself using "paste without formatting" (or pasting to notepad and then copying out) CONSTANTLY, CONSTANTLY in basically every thing I ever do. I never use normal paste for text. I don't even know why I would ever want to, the situation never comes up. Is this normal? Is there some global way to tell the Windows paste function to not carry formatting by default?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

This may be a Windows question, or it may be a general question, or it may be some other kind of question, but here goes:

I find myself using "paste without formatting" (or pasting to notepad and then copying out) CONSTANTLY, CONSTANTLY in basically every thing I ever do. I never use normal paste for text. I don't even know why I would ever want to, the situation never comes up. Is this normal? Is there some global way to tell the Windows paste function to not carry formatting by default?

There's a free app that will do this here. Their description is basically what you just said, c/p'd. :haw:

quote:

PureText is basically equivalent to opening Notepad, doing a PASTE, followed by a SELECT-ALL, and then a COPY. The benefit of PureText is performing all these actions with a single Hot-Key and having the result pasted into the current window automatically.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks. I wish Windows could do that itself though. Who actually wants whatever they are writing to have different formatting for quotations and stuff from other documents anyway? It's part of Windows' design I don't understand.

edit: openoffice doesn't even have paste as plain text as a context menu item or a hotkey...

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

There's a free app that will do this here. Their description is basically what you just said, c/p'd. :haw:

:aaaaa: Durrrrrrrfff! My life just got a ton easier. Thanks!

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
It's also a hotkey option in ditto clipboard manager http://ditto-cp.sourceforge.net/

Though I know some people have an aversion to clipboard managers for some reason.

Me, I don't know how I coped without one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Samurai Sanders posted:

Thanks. I wish Windows could do that itself though. Who actually wants whatever they are writing to have different formatting for quotations and stuff from other documents anyway? It's part of Windows' design I don't understand.

edit: openoffice doesn't even have paste as plain text as a context menu item or a hotkey...

You can turn this off in Office