Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Been blasting my way through Prison Break. The first season was pretty drat awesome and season two is kinda fun just to see what the characters are getting themselves into. I'm told the series doesn't get as good as it was in season one again, but I'm willing to watch this show just for the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Aceofblue posted:

The boyfriend and I just finished our 3-ish month spree of BSG, and oh god, oh god. Why is it over. :gonk: gently caress the haters, I loved it until the end.
Farscape

Farscape is a good option season 1 is a little slow but it gets pretty awesome near the end of the season.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Speaking of BSG! I should have done this a long time ago, but I've finally been watching it, and it seriously has not disappointed. Which is tough, considering I've has friends who described it as "the most important television show in existence."

I just watched episode 10 of season 2, "Pegasus", which is probably one of the most powerful, intense, and overwhelming hours of television I've ever seen. Certainly in terms of sci-fi/space opera it quite simply does not get any better than that. It felt like the entire series was building up to that point. Especially the scene where Gaius (who is easily my favorite character on the show) talks to the beaten, raped, traumatized and destroyed version of the cylon he's been having visions of and confesses the love he had for her. Really hard to describe the degree of pain and complexity within that scene.. I'm totally hooked, though. That episode just took everything that was good about this series and multiplied it by 10. Really intense.

edit: And one other thing: Can someone tell me when, exactly, I should watch Razer? I know someone told me it fits into the narrative time-wise at some point in season 2, but is that when I should really see it? When was it actually released, in relation to the series? Can someone give me a little guidance? I literally don't know anything about it other than that, and I'm so goddamn paranoid about any spoilers that there's no way in hell I'm googling anything having to do with BSG until I'm done with the whole series.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 28, 2011

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Recently watched through the first three or four seasons of Married with Children
It's mostly just been something to put on in the background, really fun though.
Latley I've been putting on Top Gear in the background. I don't even care about cars really, but I love this show, the challenges are hilarious, the guys are goofy, and it's just entertaining.

Serious watching, I'm up the fourth season of the Wire. Best TV show.

Other than that, thinking of maybe rewatching Pushing Daisies or Dollhouse

Oh, and I just got through the first season of Bored to Death, and holy poo poo, it's by far one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. The entire show is basically the art of being awkward, even moreso than Louie, it's brilliant.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I dont know if it counts as binging as im only 3 episodes in, but that but ive got a really long weekend and :350: so ive started a marathon of The X-Files. I love 90's poo poo (having wasted most of it on pokemon and school and i love sci fi. I figure if i can handle Doctor who this show should be a breeze...

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

kaworu posted:

edit: And one other thing: Can someone tell me when, exactly, I should watch Razer? I know someone told me it fits into the narrative time-wise at some point in season 2, but is that when I should really see it? When was it actually released, in relation to the series? Can someone give me a little guidance? I literally don't know anything about it other than that, and I'm so goddamn paranoid about any spoilers that there's no way in hell I'm googling anything having to do with BSG until I'm done with the whole series.

Razor was released in the season three to four hiatus, but is set right before the season two finale with flashbacks to the beginning of the series; it's mostly about Pegasus, actually. There aren't any real season three spoilers, just a little plot tease that gets expanded on in season four, so you can watch it either before Lay Down Your Burdens (two episode season two finale), after Lay Down Your Burdens, after Crossroads (season three finale), or just at the end of the series.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Razor was released in the season three to four hiatus, but is set right before the season two finale with flashbacks to the beginning of the series; it's mostly about Pegasus, actually. There aren't any real season three spoilers, just a little plot tease that gets expanded on in season four, so you can watch it either before Lay Down Your Burdens (two episode season two finale), after Lay Down Your Burdens, after Crossroads (season three finale), or just at the end of the series.

Cool, thanks for the info - so I guess I may as well watch it sooner rather than later as it seems to go with the Pegasus plotline. I get the feeling it might drive me loving crazy though, because it'll probably make Cain seem sympathetic somehow and right now she appears to be pure loving evil incarnate. Even when this show seems to be operating in the *absolute* clearest cases of moral extremes (like the cylon-rape aboard the Pegasus) I still sort of expect things to return to a shade of grey. Hell, I'm not even convinced that the cylons are the bad guys in this story, not by *any* means. Mostly because there really aren't "good guys" and "bad guys" and looking at things that way is antithetical to what the show is trying to say, I think.

I will say that it's refreshing to watch a some hard sci-fi that deals honestly with faith and belief in god(s), deep-down and at the heard of it all. And it's especially important because that question of faith is inextricably linked with the central question at the core of the show, which is to what extent cylons have souls and are "real" life forms. I somehow sense that it is *incredibly* important that the cylons are monotheistic, while the humans appear to all be polytheistic. It's really fascinating.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 28, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I would actually probably watch Razor in it's original airing spot between seasons three and four, if for no other reason than to simulate that there was a break there and how crazy it drove people.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

I would actually probably watch Razor in it's original airing spot between seasons three and four, if for no other reason than to simulate that there was a break there and how crazy it drove people.

Yeah, watch it in the place where it aired. It's won't exactly spoil things but it'll go in assuming you know things that you don't and as a result a bunch of things won't get introduced properly to you.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

kaworu posted:

I just watched episode 10 of season 2, "Pegasus", which is probably one of the most powerful, intense, and overwhelming hours of television I've ever seen. Certainly in terms of sci-fi/space opera it quite simply does not get any better than that. It felt like the entire series was building up to that point. Especially the scene where Gaius (who is easily my favorite character on the show) talks to the beaten, raped, traumatized and destroyed version of the cylon he's been having visions of and confesses the love he had for her. Really hard to describe the degree of pain and complexity within that scene.. I'm totally hooked, though. That episode just took everything that was good about this series and multiplied it by 10. Really intense.
The three-parter of Pegasus and Resurrection Ship Part 1/2 is probably my favorite stretch of the show. I mean I enjoyed the whole show (even the ending), but that right there was some of the best sci-fi drama/action I had ever seen.

Gaius is my favorite too. I don't think it's an outrageous statement to say that James Callis was the best actor on the show by far (except for maybe EJO).

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I just watched the pilot of 'The West Wing'.

This is going to be a fun one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh, you get to watch Two Cathedrals for the first time, one of the best hours of television ever made. I hate you.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh, you get to watch Two Cathedrals for the first time, one of the best hours of television ever made. I hate you.

One of the few episodes of television to make me shed a (MANLY!) tear.

gently caress. You guys are making want to go through BSG/West Wing all over again :negative:

Anyway, my X-Files marathon has been a wild ride. I'm almost done with season 9 right now, and I have to say I've enjoyed the show way more than I thought I would.

The first 6 seasons may be some of my favorite ever. Season 7 was pretty good too even if the mythology episodes got way too wild.

Seasons 8&9 have been okay too. I really like Reyes and Doggett, but to me Mulder IS the X-Files. It's a shame that it had to end like this because of a contract dispute. Why David? You had such a good thing going :qq:

Anyway, despite feeling more like an X-Files spinoff than anything, the season 8&9 monster of the week episodes are still as awesome as the earlier ones. Now I'm just curious to see how they'll wrap up the main arc (I'm assuming the answer is "badly").

fake edit: Oh yeah, that movie that did after season 5? That sure was... well it sure was a movie :stare:

Is the one they made a few years ago worth watching? I hear it's more of a standalone thing and doesn't touch on the main mythology.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
Apparently the SyFy channel has stopped showing the Sarah Connor Chronicles shortly into season 2. SyFy can suck it, I was enjoying the show.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I am watching Farscape for the first time and I'm in the middle of season 1. While it's been mildly entertaining so far (enough to continue watching it), will it get better? Will it reach some of the awesome heights of story-telling like BSG or DS9? Some of the better episodes so far have been the one with the sorcerer and the one with the creepy geneticist.

So far it seems that plots are very formulaic with each episode focusing on one of the aliens and pairing them with Crichton who's unique lack of understanding the fantastical world around him manages to save them time and again. I understand that Crichton is suppose to be the audience's character but his bumbling mary-sue shtick is starting to grow a bit old. Please tell me they break out of this mold eventually.

Also, how long will they drag out the will-they/won't-they thing with Aeryn?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Farscape gets better and better. Season one wasn't very good- but it gets much better and the insanity/fun skyrockets. And the answer to the last question is: right till the end.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is huge everyone

HBO just released an app for the ipad and the iphone in which you can watch movies if you own HBO subscription...but that is not the best part

It has the full series of

Entourage
Curb
Wire
Carnivale
Deadwood
Boardwalk Empire
Big Love

and every HBO show that you can think of.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is huge everyone

HBO just released an app for the ipad and the iphone in which you can watch movies if you own HBO subscription...but that is not the best part

It has the full series of

Entourage
Curb
Wire
Carnivale
Deadwood
Boardwalk Empire
Big Love

and every HBO show that you can think of.

Sure is crash happy though

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mu Zeta posted:

My girlfriend and I are also binging through The West Wing right now and this is one of the episodes we'll see tonight. We've been watching 2 or 3 per night. I saw it before many years ago but I don't remember much, and it was the last episode I saw before being distracted away from the West Wing and not going back for some reason. Pretty much the only thing I remember from the episode is Bartlett smoking a cigarette in a church yelling at god

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

It gets better! I swear! When you hit season 7 it goes up in awesomeness.

You're so right! Up to about halfway through season 8 now and it has consistently ramped up the awesome and entertained me. In fact, I would go as far as to rescind my previous comments about Smallville season 5 and 6 because apart from a couple of utterly inexcusable terrible episodes sprinkled in here and there, the main story arcs were pretty drat cool. I particularly liked "Promise", and of course the episode where Clarks dad dies, so forgive me for using a tired old phrase and branding the vast majority of what I've read here about these two seasons as hyperbolic Goonsay.

EDIT:

Cocks Cable posted:

I am watching Farscape for the first time and I'm in the middle of season 1. While it's been mildly entertaining so far (enough to continue watching it), will it get better? Will it reach some of the awesome heights of story-telling like BSG or DS9? Some of the better episodes so far have been the one with the sorcerer and the one with the creepy geneticist.

So far it seems that plots are very formulaic with each episode focusing on one of the aliens and pairing them with Crichton who's unique lack of understanding the fantastical world around him manages to save them time and again. I understand that Crichton is suppose to be the audience's character but his bumbling mary-sue shtick is starting to grow a bit old. Please tell me they break out of this mold eventually.

Also, how long will they drag out the will-they/won't-they thing with Aeryn?

Farscape really rocks. You have already got past the worst bit. This is a sci-fi show that prides itself on being Star-Trek's antithesis. They pour petrol over that big annoying reset button and light the match; there are real, series-spanning consequences to events that occur in random monster of the week episodes. Chrighton does break out of his newcomer mould and without giving too much away goes a bit insane with it. Scorpius is a bad guy on a par with a Wire character; you understand his motivations and even come to empathise with him a bit, while still routing against him because you like the good guys more. Even though none of them are particularly likeable... I can't really describe it very well but you'll see what I mean.

Just make sure you have the film Peacekeeper Wars ready to watch after S4, because like Firefly, it leaves everything hanging, and they made that film to tie up all the loose ends after it's cancellation.

Also the title sequence gets an update for S3&4 and is loving brilliant:

"My name is John Chrighton, I'm an astronaught"

Ok one more edit, I'll give an example of why I love this show:

Go to 3:25 on this clip and watch that scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWZtoWApLyc
They are stuck in a small container after having being shrunk to a fraction of their normal size. She attempts to technobabble why shrinking just isn't possible and Rigel shoots her down and tells her to grow the gently caress up. I don't know why this scene stuck with me, it isn't particularly memorable, but when I first saw this I laughed out loud and rejoiced in the fact I wasn't watching Star Trek, where they would've technobabbled how the shrinking might be possible, and then followed up with more technobabble for how to get out of it.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 30, 2011

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Which season of Smallville was it when Lana gets a stalker? I stopped watching after that episode. During the scene where he sends her a dress and she reads the card which says "I want you to wear this..." I as a joke went "WHEN I KILL YOU!" out loud, and got a couple chuckles, and then that's what it actually said

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I just finished watching Ctrl which I had never heard of until Netflix recommended it to me. It was pretty darn good for a short webseries. The concept and medium worked well together since anything longer than 5 minute increments and the show would have suffered due to the premise wearing thin.

For those not in the know, the concept is a desk geek office worker (played by Tony Hale of Arrested Development fame) has something spilled on his keyboard and suddenly keystrokes like ctrl z and ctrl c work on real life.

I have to admit their use of ctrl x bugged me a lot since it was so wildly inaccurate, but everything else was great.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Just finished Friday Night Lights season 2. Enjoying it more than I thought I would, it has managed to avoid the humdrum that a lot of teen drama shows aim at, and has a really strong emotional core to it. Am I right in thinking that season 3 turns to poo poo for some reason? Or if not then when does the show take a dive in quality and does it recover? (without spoilers if possible).

The best shows recently to switch off and relax to have been Entourage, Bored to Death and Men of a Certain Age (as well as more serious ones like In Treatment which require a bit more concentration). I thought Men of a Certain Age's season 1 was as good as anything on TV drama/comedy wise, but the second season (part 1) was a little too downbeat and so-so.

Some other shows I'm trying to binge on with mixed results:

Star Trek TNG - good but not as polished/slick as I would have expected it to be (didn't think it would be quite so 80s, but that's my mistake). I'm mid way through the first season, trying to watch it so I can later watch DS9 which I hear has some great story arcs. Is there a point where it becomes more like 90s Trek? I guess in the 90s? :)

NYPD - this is a classy show but for some reason it's impossible to watch rapidly. Loving its dedication to arc storytelling though. And the title theme is so good.

Chuck - this has been great fun, doesn't take itself too seriously and has some good acting turns, obvious McG influence adding to the entertainment factor. I hope they manage to break out of the formula that they've used up to the end of Season 2.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 2, 2011

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Meow Cadet posted:

I'm midway through the second episode of The Wire. So far, it's been a chore to get through, and I have to stop every 15-20 minutes because I just can't take it anymore.

I keep hearing that this is the best TV Drama ever! If I don't like the first few episodes, am I doomed? Or is it going to grow on me?

I didn't think The Wire was so amazing even after I finished the first season. It was good, but it didn't blow me away. By the time I got to the end of the series, though, I was in love with it.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Harmonica posted:

Just finished Friday Night Lights season 2. Enjoying it more than I thought I would, it has managed to avoid the humdrum that a lot of teen drama shows aim at, and has a really strong emotional core to it. Am I right in thinking that season 3 turns to poo poo for some reason? Or if not then when does the show take a dive in quality and does it recover? (without spoilers if possible).

Good news! Season 2 is considered the worst season, and seasons 3-5 are awesome.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

i would just go straight to DS9. I've never cared much for Next Generation. The first season of DS9 sucks but push through it.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Harmonica posted:

Chuck I hope they manage to break out of the formula that they've used up to the end of Season 2.

Not quite, but you're so distracted by celeb cameos that it doesn't seem to matter as much.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Harmonica posted:

Star Trek TNG - good but not as polished/slick as I would have expected it to be (didn't think it would be quite so 80s, but that's my mistake). I'm mid way through the first season, trying to watch it so I can later watch DS9 which I hear has some great story arcs. Is there a point where it becomes more like 90s Trek? I guess in the 90s? :)
It becomes substantially more polished in the 3rd Season, especially with the episode "Yesterday's Enterprise."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Meow Cadet posted:

I think the introduction of a million characters I can't keep track of or care about yet is one of the flaws I'm struggling with. I'm going to try and power through the first disk of The Wire from Netflix, but I may have to try this one again at another time. Time will tell, I suppose.

I too gave up on The Wire the first time around (just as I did Mad Men actually). If you can get through 4 episodes or so it'll probably be better; by that time you begin to be able to tell who's who and what the show's going for.

Or you might still not like it; no shame in that.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Had some friends over for a BBQ and they left us some :420: as a present so I took that as a sign to introduce my wife to Archer. It wouldn't usually be her sort of show, but she's really digging it.

I'm loving it the second time through as well. Hands down my favourite voice acting on any show ever.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
If you watch The Wire you have to realize that it is a different show. It goes at a slower more realistic pace than most TV. It doesn't all get solved in each episode. Maybe in a season.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Alias. Really got into the first and (most of) the second seasons, but am now half way through season 3 and am really struggling with taking the plot seriously. Is this series a downhill slope?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Just started watching In Treatment and I hope I am not alone in this feeling but the show is really really good.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Just started watching In Treatment and I hope I am not alone in this feeling but the show is really really good.

You're not, it's probably the most underappreciated drama on TV. Really hope they can find some way to do a fourth season but it didn't sound likely.

moregontrail
Mar 31, 2005
I drink alone, George Thorogood style
Starting to use my local library to catch up on a bunch shows I missed. Finished Rome a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. Watching that with Game of Thrones I think I have watched more hours of costume drama this past month then the rest of my life combined.

Just finished Season 1 of Battlestar Galactica tonight and loved it. I had to put season 2 on reserve from another library so I'm hoping it gets here before the weekend. After that I will probably knock out Deadwood and a few other shows with just a couple seasons then I will tackle the West Wing.

The real reason for my post though is I also started watching Cheers and want to watch the entire series over the summer with an episode or two each night before I go to bed. Did this last year with That 70's show, and the Cosby Show the year before that.

I quickly glanced at its wikipedia page just to get the number of seasons it had and noticed that a lot of people leave and other come in throughout the 11 seasons. What are considered the Cheers glory years and does it get extremely unfunny like "That 70's Show" did. I'm only two episodes into season 1 so it's still finding it's footing but want to know when I'll hit it's prime.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just started Justified and it's great. I just finished episode 6 ("The Collection") and it's my favorite episode so far. Timothy Olyphant is awesome.

thpook
Jul 30, 2003

squawk

scr0llwheel posted:

Just started Justified and it's great. I just finished episode 6 ("The Collection") and it's my favorite episode so far. Timothy Olyphant is awesome.

Justified just keeps getting better. Season 2 has been awesome.

Berkeloid
Apr 30, 2010

moregontrail posted:

The real reason for my post though is I also started watching Cheers and want to watch the entire series over the summer with an episode or two each night before I go to bed. Did this last year with That 70's show, and the Cosby Show the year before that.

I quickly glanced at its wikipedia page just to get the number of seasons it had and noticed that a lot of people leave and other come in throughout the 11 seasons. What are considered the Cheers glory years and does it get extremely unfunny like "That 70's Show" did. I'm only two episodes into season 1 so it's still finding it's footing but want to know when I'll hit it's prime.

I watched the entire series for the first time last year. Some seasons are better than others, and there are a few bad episodes here and there, but on the whole it's pretty consistent in quality throughout.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Berkeloid posted:

I watched the entire series for the first time last year. Some seasons are better than others, and there are a few bad episodes here and there, but on the whole it's pretty consistent in quality throughout.

Ya it never goes through down in quality like That 70s show. Also the new cast members they bring are as memorable as the ones that left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

moregontrail posted:

I'm sure opinion varies but it's not until Season 4 when you've got Woody and Frasier both in the mix that it hit it's prime for me. That's in terms of the characters just shooting poo poo around the bar. After that it probably depends on whether you prefer Diane or Rebecca.