Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

lightpole posted:

Im holding CIM and FTR for a bit, little riskier than I would usually go with but I think I can make money. My buy and hold dividends are MO, BIP and GE.

Next dividend purchase I make will most likely be VOD.

CIM was great on the books, I got skittish when they were getting late on their dividend payment and did a secondary that made me pull out (I think I sat through 2-3 payments). For the same reason I exited HTS this week.

Looks like FTR is in the wireless/telecom sector and I'm already in that with VOD (remember they are Bi-Annual or Annual Payments). So far VOD has been great as a Dividend Play/International/Proxy-for-Apple-love-via-Verizon.

has anyone seen IOI or CotP for RENN yet? Their pricing is suppose to be mid-next week and it feels like that the offerings wont come down to smaller investors(actually I just want to put all my money into it, watch it double, sell and get banned from IPOs for 3-6 months).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
I am holding a very tiny amount of FTR that VZ gave me, if I am not mistaken FTR is returning capital via dividends so that insanely high dividend is unsustainable. I think VOD is a very solid choice.

I am waiting for stocks to cool off and then going to grab some WMT and VPU, I am worried I might be too late and they won't come back down.

Foma fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 28, 2011

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Yeah at the first sign of trouble it will already be too late for those two so Im looking to hold for maybe the rest of the year at the most and then putting that money into VOD along with my next paycheck.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
I have GE and DNP as my dividend stocks. Approx 50% of my holdings are in these two alone.

crip drinkn milk
Jan 31, 2001

IS DOG VEGABLE?
I'm pretty risk averse and will probably not trade until I more fully understand how things work. I've been reading this thread and I now know what do study in my spare time.

Anyway, a friend bought into this http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=ASX:NRL and is encouraging me to do the same. Is there anything immediately obvious about it that someone could tell me?

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

crip drinkn milk posted:

I'm pretty risk averse and will probably not trade until I more fully understand how things work. I've been reading this thread and I now know what do study in my spare time.

Anyway, a friend bought into this http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=ASX:NRL and is encouraging me to do the same. Is there anything immediately obvious about it that someone could tell me?

Yes, it's a penny stock and you shouldn't be investing in it, ESPECIALLY if you're risk averse.

Don Homhoos
Mar 26, 2011

Hamhuis. It is pronounced "Ham-Wee".

crip drinkn milk posted:

Unless he knows something the rest of the market doesn't (pending good drill results or such), I'd just direct you to their financials: Half Year Financial Report

The company has like 750 million shares outstanding (which is a poo poo load for an exploration stock), with only about 3.5 million in cash... That works out to a value of 0.004 per share in cash (this is bad), which isn't even in the same ballpark as the 0.12 its currently trading at. They issued something like another 65 million in vendor options exercisable at 0.05 for the next 4 years. Fully diluted it looks like this thing has over 800 million shares outstanding. And you're probably looking at more dilution in the future since they will likely have to raise more money to finance further exploration (3 million in the till isn't a lot).

It appears to be a coal exploration company which I'm not too familiar with (I have a better grasp of precious metals companies). Anyway, its probably trading at 12 cents for a reason. Its taken a 25% haircut in the past month (also probably for a reason).

But since you say you're pretty risk adverse, let me offer you some advice about penny stocks: STAY THE gently caress AWAY FROM THEM.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

crip drinkn milk posted:

He's not your friend.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Yeah just look at the chart alone, its already on the downslide.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Also most of the big brokerages have surcharges for trading in penny stocks (typically anything under ~$1/share).

It's really just the icing on the "Don't buy penny stocks unless you absolutely know what you're doing" cake. Friends don't let friends trade penny stocks.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Apologies if this has been asked before:

For tax purposes, do most of you keep track of buy and sell points for stocks and funds, or do you just trust the tax document (1099?) sent to you by your broker?

And simply as far as executing trades goes, what cost basis method do you use? First in, first out, or do you actually use specific identification cost basis? Or average cost basis? (I'm a bit confused by how/why average cost basis works, and interacts with long-term holdings as far as getting capital gains tax rather than income tax goes.)

Do your answers change with long-term investments vs. short-term trades?

Basically, I haven't been keeping personal records, wondering if I should, and wondering how I should be dealing with this stuff in the future - currently I'm basically buy-and-holding, but *eventually* I'm going to sell shares of funds I've added to at dozens of different prices.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

crip drinkn milk posted:

Read up on pump and dump scams.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

onefish posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before:

For tax purposes, do most of you keep track of buy and sell points for stocks and funds, or do you just trust the tax document (1099?) sent to you by your broker?

And simply as far as executing trades goes, what cost basis method do you use? First in, first out, or do you actually use specific identification cost basis? Or average cost basis? (I'm a bit confused by how/why average cost basis works, and interacts with long-term holdings as far as getting capital gains tax rather than income tax goes.)

Do your answers change with long-term investments vs. short-term trades?

Basically, I haven't been keeping personal records, wondering if I should, and wondering how I should be dealing with this stuff in the future - currently I'm basically buy-and-holding, but *eventually* I'm going to sell shares of funds I've added to at dozens of different prices.

I let Scottrader and TurboTax take care of this and just double check to make sure I am pretty close.

crip drinkn milk
Jan 31, 2001

IS DOG VEGABLE?
Confirming what I suspected, thanks. I'll see you bros in about 5 years once I've digested the thread an am ready to lose some serious cash.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
has anyone gotten IOI or CotP for RENN or any of the major international company IPOs for next week?

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Goddamnit MSFT can't you hold off fantastic earnings quarters until after I'm ready to buy youuuu

also I miss goldchat, so

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Hope no one invested in oats in the last week:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Orgasmo posted:

Goddamnit MSFT can't you hold off fantastic earnings quarters until after I'm ready to buy youuuu

also I miss goldchat, so

The silver crash in 1980 was a very different situation. That was due to certain groups trying to corner the market and having the rug pulled out from under them.

But obviously, the price of silver is not sustainable and will crash again. Silver tends to lag behind gold's growth, but once the price of gold increases for a while people start buying silver and then shortly after silver exceeds gold they take profits and it crashes. So the only question is when big players decide to cash in and start the crash. Not much to buffer the value of silver, when it falls it falls fast.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 29, 2011

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
For the Silver discussion above, I grant you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Thursday

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

ayekappy posted:

Hope no one invested in oats in the last week:

GODAMN CORN

so anyone got into the $RENN IOI?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Orgasmo posted:

Wait, why has MSFT stock price dropped liek 4% since fantastic earnings were announced? Deeply confused.

edit: "Microsoft (MSFT) topped profit and revenue forecasts, but falling revenue from its Windows products pulled the stock lower." http://www.marketintelligencecenter.com/newsbites/1269792 kind of helps?

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Dr. Jackal posted:

so anyone got into the $RENN IOI?

Etrade has it still upcoming...

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

onefish posted:

Wait, why has MSFT stock price dropped liek 4% since fantastic earnings were announced? Deeply confused.

edit: "Microsoft (MSFT) topped profit and revenue forecasts, but falling revenue from its Windows products pulled the stock lower." http://www.marketintelligencecenter.com/newsbites/1269792 kind of helps?

Windows sales were down as installations mirrored negative PC sales.

The iPad is really hurting them as netbook sales are down 40%.

Search numbers are disappointing.

Online numbers were horrible. The Online OI was more than revenues.

On the surface it looked good but under the hood it is ugly.

They also cut off analyst day which was a big deal and the CC was pretty bad for MSFT-NOK.

When asked about the arrangement MSFT gave a total buzzword non-answer.

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 29, 2011

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Orgasmo posted:

also I miss goldchat, so

You might be surprised to find out how the left side of the chart looks when its adjusted for the inflation thats happened in the past 3 decades.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Like this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

thrassoss
Oct 20, 2009
I'm just getting started in trading and had a question. Haven't read the whole thread yet but I'm working on it so if this was talked about elsewhere I apologize. A couple of places it was mentioned something about participating in an IPO and then being banned from IPO's for a period of time. My guess is maybe this is more to do with actually participating in the IPO officially or something rather than just buying it early on the first day it's offered and selling in a day or two. I was curious if someone had a link to something that explained it better. I'm evidently not googling the right terms or something.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ayekappy posted:

Like this?

Yeah, that first chart is hilariously misleading.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Pram posted:

Yeah, that first chart is hilariously misleading.

To be fair, ayekappy's chart only goes up to 2008.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Fuschia tude posted:

To be fair, ayekappy's chart only goes up to 2008.

To be fair silver would still need to be above $130 for the first chart to not be misleading, so it only needs to like triple from here.

owDAWG
May 18, 2008
I always tried to look at silver in trying to determine a parity with gold. I remember an article saying that silver is 17 times as abundant in the earth's crust as gold. So for instance the theoretical maximum of silver by today's gold market $92 an ounce. The big push on silver is most of its industrial applications require it to be destroyed so physical silver is always in short supply, hence the high volatility of silver. This short supply might not last forever as if it stays at these record highs mining production for investment silver might pick up within a years time.

That is just my take on it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

owDAWG posted:

I always tried to look at silver in trying to determine a parity with gold. I remember an article saying that silver is 17 times as abundant in the earth's crust as gold. So for instance the theoretical maximum of silver by today's gold market $92 an ounce. The big push on silver is most of its industrial applications require it to be destroyed so physical silver is always in short supply, hence the high volatility of silver. This short supply might not last forever as if it stays at these record highs mining production for investment silver might pick up within a years time.

That is just my take on it.
I doubt production is going to ramp up after 12 years of flat line in price, just to appease a speculative bubble that will inevitably crash. I don't believe you mine specifically for silver anyways, it's found along with other more high volume metals.

G-Funk All-Star
Jul 31, 2008
Hey not to take away from precious metals / day trading chat, but what do you guys think of a company like Bunge Limited? They seem to be a big company with a long history, strong EPS/revenue growth rates, and a price/book value below 1. They also just announced good Q1 results.

(I thought there was a value investing thread here a long time ago, but I can't find it.)

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

G-Funk All-Star posted:

Hey not to take away from precious metals / day trading chat, but what do you guys think of a company like Bunge Limited? They seem to be a big company with a long history, strong EPS/revenue growth rates, and a price/book value below 1. They also just announced good Q1 results.

(I thought there was a value investing thread here a long time ago, but I can't find it.)

Value investing? maybe you want the long term non-speculative thread.

Sector wise, as food inflation hits Bunge should be doing well (as people pay for better crop yields, or in general profits due to increased commodity prices). Their quarter looks solid, I would say worthwhile for 1-2 years at the least, but then you might have to re-evaluate their earning potential due to de

Dr. Jackal fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 1, 2011

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
No, this is the value investing thread. That other thread is the indexing thread.

And is that silver I see dropping by 12% over the weekend?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Yeah silver got creamed, these margin hikes are getting kind of ridiculous.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42828370

quote:

In what could be a precursor to much higher margins at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, MF Global on Friday raised its margins on one contract of silver from $14,513 to $25,397, an increase of 75 percent.

deathbypudding
Apr 28, 2006
Silver just took a hit, but I see on kitco it swung back up 7% off those lows, and has since settled down 6.5% off of Friday's close. Silver is going to have a crazy week, that's for sure. The Cartel is doing everything in its power to smack down commodity prices at this point, and that means raising margins. The big boys have already made their fortunes off of commodities in the last year, and now speculation is threatening to dampen their other investments. Makes me wonder who learns about these margin hikes before it becomes official. The information is probably worth billions.

One thing you have noticed with silver is the margin hikes have had limited effect as of late, and silver usually rockets past the subsequent drop in just a few hours. That's why you've seen CME starting to smack silver with margin hikes every few days now. My guess is if the dollar keeps taking out lows, silver will keep going up. It's just going to be a very volatile ride.

P.S. Only about 5% of my portfolio is in silver.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
I am not sure why people blame rising margins as collusion.

When the Internet and housing bubbles happened credit flowed freely and everyone was behind the curve. Now that the regulators recognize the speculation and are acting appropriately people think it is collusion.

May is a month that is historically known for major sell offs in gold and silver and you should be acting appropriately with stop losses in place and scaling back on your leverage.

I have sold my silver and will be working my way out of the market this week to take advantage of better opportunities this summer when gold and silver make seasonal lows.

This is coming from a gold and silver bull.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I sold all of my gold and silver on Thursday. Feeling pretty good about it.

deathbypudding
Apr 28, 2006
Well, there is certainly no margin hike on ES, and there never will be. The Fed's third mandate now seems to be propping up the stock market. There is no doubt that hot money has flowed into equities and commodities. It's central planning at its finest.

Banks are still gambling with tons of leverage, and most of it with hot money pumped directly from the Fed to primary dealers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Not to be that guy who tries to relate everything to the markets, but I wonder what GLD and SLV are going to look like in the morning after tonight's news. Not that it should have a direct effect, but it doesn't seem like we're talking about the most rational of investors here.