Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

real_scud posted:

He does.

When I got my 9k's I specifically tried to find the all black ones because I thought the black/white ones looked like rear end.

Cue a few months later and a buddy on my team showed up with 'em and boy was I right.

Yes, but did he through off defenders with stealth footwork? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Went down to stick and puck today to grab some video of myself. It's worse than I though. I don't know what it is but I can't develop my snap shot to save my life.

Video 1 - wherein I kick my back foot off to the side to generate zero power.
Video 2 - wherein I nearly destroy my iPhone at :30
Video 3 - wherein the gentleman in maroon used to play for DU but...something...something...I'm too far away.

Any advice on that snappah would be greatly appreciated.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

That was awesome. Glad it survived.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Dangerllama posted:

put this on america's funniest home videos

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I went to the skate shop after work, and the new year of skates are drat ugly. :smith:

I did speak at length with the senior guy at the store and he convinced me to bring in my skates so he can look at them.. says he may be able to stretch them out so they stop hurting my feet. I'm all for saving a bunch of money so I'm gonna try it.

I did try on a pair of Bauers.. aren't they supposed to run narrow? Because the ones I tried felt pretty good. I only got about 5 minutes in them though.. I want to sit around with them fully laced for a good 15 minutes before deciding.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

I did try on a pair of Bauers.. aren't they supposed to run narrow? Because the ones I tried felt pretty good. I only got about 5 minutes in them though.. I want to sit around with them fully laced for a good 15 minutes before deciding.

Which Bauers? The Supremes are supposed to be wider. New Vapors are pretty ugly.

When I was leaving after stick and puck today there was a guy coming in for league games who only had one arm :psyduck: How does that work?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dangerllama posted:

Went down to stick and puck today to grab some video of myself. It's worse than I though. I don't know what it is but I can't develop my snap shot to save my life.

Video 3 - wherein the gentleman in maroon used to play for DU but...something...something...I'm too far away.

Right now you're not really taking a snap shot, it is more of a shovel-wrister kind of deal. Bring the puck in a bit closer to your body, get more of your weight over your stick, try and flex the stick a bit more. Instead of this, you're starting with your hands too far away from your body, which means that when you try and follow through you really can't, as your arms are only so long.

I made this video forever ago, its quality is almost too crappy to even bother with but it is from kind of the same spot as your shots so it might be useful for a comparison (I have no idea what is with the sound, sorry about that). On the first shot in particular you can see me load the shaft pretty heavily before I let it go; at that point a good portion of my body weight is on the shaft.

Also is that the rink in the old hangar at Lowry AFB?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

Also is that the rink in the old hangar at Lowry AFB?

Indeed it is. Big Bear.

Thanks for the critique. Sometimes you hit a wall and just need someone to tell you what you're doing wrong.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Hard to tell for sure from those videos, but it also looks as though you might want to try a stick with a lower lie. Does the tape on your heel wear out faster than the rest of the blade? Uneven wear is the first sign that you might want to try a stick with a different lie.

Squidbeak
Jul 24, 2007

Com Truise

Dangerllama posted:

I have no advice to offer but you should seriously send this to Apple

I've never own a product of theirs but it's so high quality it could end up in something somewhere

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
How the hell do you guys get solo ice time?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poser posted:

The place I go has two has two rinks open at lunch.. a free skate, and a stick-n-puck. Typically a max of 4 people per rink.

You just gotta go when no one else can.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

xzzy posted:

The place I go has two has two rinks open at lunch.. a free skate, and a stick-n-puck. Typically a max of 4 people per rink.

You just gotta go when no one else can.

The problem is here is there is pretty much one rink with 4 sheets of ice and its always busy. They have noon pickup with 20 skaters and 2 goalies and its always full. I went to a Tuesday 10 am stick n puck and about 15 people were there and that was a pretty small number. I'm so jealous of the people that have so many rinks to choose from.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poser posted:

The problem is here is there is pretty much one rink with 4 sheets of ice and its always busy. They have noon pickup with 20 skaters and 2 goalies and its always full. I went to a Tuesday 10 am stick n puck and about 15 people were there and that was a pretty small number. I'm so jealous of the people that have so many rinks to choose from.

The evening stick and puck is like that.. easily 30-40 dudes on the ice trying to get some practice in.

But during the day it's empty.. figure it's because I'm pretty far out in the suburbs, during the work day the area pretty much empties out so it's just me with the ice to myself.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

The evening stick and puck is like that.. easily 30-40 dudes on the ice trying to get some practice in.

But during the day it's empty.. figure it's because I'm pretty far out in the suburbs, during the work day the area pretty much empties out so it's just me with the ice to myself.

get a job you hippy

there's only 1 rink on campus here so rat hockey fills up really quickly with like 24 skaters, but stick and puck is usually pretty easy to get into. There are usually about 30 people there, and a pick up game going horizontally almost every time that I usually play in for the hell of it.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Lawnie posted:

get a job you hippy

there's only 1 rink on campus here...
get a job, you hippy. :)

I go to Monday 6am S/P and there's usually about 15 people there. WTF. Go back to bed, you hippies!!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dangerllama posted:

It's hard to tell from the camera angle but it looks like a lot of times you're looking down at the puck as you shoot. Try to practice picking your head up, picking a spot in the net and then hitting it.

e: Speaking of shooting practice I'm going to be playing some Dek hockey this summer which means I have to get used to shooting the Dek hockey ball which requires different technique than shooting a puck. :argh:

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 30, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But I have a job. :smith:

I just got seriously lucky that the rink is ~8 minutes from my desk.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

xzzy posted:

But I have a job. :smith:

I just got seriously lucky that the rink is ~8 minutes from my desk.

You aren't kidding. The closest one to where I work is like 12 miles away. I am seriously considering changing jobs just to be closer to a rink.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 1, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Squidbeak posted:

I have no advice to offer but you should seriously send this to Apple

I've never own a product of theirs but it's so high quality it could end up in something somewhere

Err...my wife just informed me that it looks like I actually hit my iPhone with a puck in this video, which didn't happen. The puck hit the glass about a foot above my phone and the impact knocked my phone off the dasher onto the ice below.

I'm pretty sure if I hit my iPhone head on it would explode. But I'm not willing to test this theory.

In retrospect, I now realize why you guys thought this video was so interesting :smith:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Dangerllama posted:

Err...my wife just informed me that it looks like I actually hit my iPhone with a puck in this video, which didn't happen. The puck hit the glass about a foot above my phone and the impact knocked my phone off the dasher onto the ice below.

I'm pretty sure if I hit my iPhone head on it would explode. But I'm not willing to test this theory.

In retrospect, I now realize why you guys thought this video was so interesting :smith:
I knew. There's no way a phone takes that kinda shot.

I'm just surprised you put it back up and then started taking harder shots.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

coldwind posted:

That's just how I roll. :smug:

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

coldwind posted:

The phone was finally warmed up

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Just a quick question out of curiosity since I just noticed this thread -- are there any goons playing hockey in South Florida? I play in Pembroke Pines, usually Tuesday night pick-up and a Sunday night adult league. It's a 45 minute drive from Miami, but it's the only full-size rink that isn't run down to poo poo :/

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

You aren't kidding. The closest one to where I work is like 12 miles away. I am seriously considering changing jobs just to be closer to a rink.

I can literally step out my front door, lay on the ground and roll down a hill and be at an arena with 3 rinks. I'm not joking either when I say I would pass a Tim Horton's on the way there. :canada:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

coldwind posted:

Doesn't the iPhone use gorilla glass?

Poke around on youtube.. it's seriously tough stuff. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it could take a puck to the face.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Won our first playoff game today. Ref missed two of our goals, so despite pulling it out in overtime, we really won 4-1.

Pee Wee/Bantam kids had the ice before us, so it was super choppy. But it was worth it because Adam Foote was one of the coaches. Dude was standing eight feet outisde our locker room bullshitting with one of the other coaches. :monocle:

None of us had the balls to tell him we needed a sub on D.

He still looks like he could beat the poo poo out of everyone in the arena. All at once.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Dangerllama posted:

Won our first playoff game today. Ref missed two of our goals, so despite pulling it out in overtime, we really won 4-1.

Pee Wee/Bantam kids had the ice before us, so it was super choppy. But it was worth it because Adam Foote was one of the coaches. Dude was standing eight feet outisde our locker room bullshitting with one of the other coaches. :monocle:

None of us had the balls to tell him we needed a sub on D.

He still looks like he could beat the poo poo out of everyone in the arena. All at once.

Where do you live?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Denver. This place is turning into such a chill hockey town.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

I tried to move there over the winter, but no jobs. :smith:

Wife and I spent a few days there, seriously could not find a single thing wrong with the place (except perhaps the performance of their sport teams).

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Dangerllama posted:

Nice, my friend lives in Fort Collins and he said adult hockey is getting a lot better on there.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
I posted here a while ago about starting up as a goalie. I've done some research on local leagues and pick up games, one of which sometimes waives goalie fees cause apparently no one likes to play that/sometimes nobody shows up. Plus a guy I work with is an assistant coach for his college hockey team and said he'd help me out, maybe even some rink access!

So I'm seriously considering it. Getting into a league/pick up games wouldn't be a problem. The main problem is what gear. I've done some looking around and...

What's the size (and quality? Function? Whatever?) difference between Sr./Youth equipment? Is there something in between for 25 year olds like me or do I choose one of those?

Can you use rollerhockey equipment as ice hockey equipment?

While the OP is terrific on player gear I'm looking for a breakdown on goalie stuff!

I know specifically the last question is a lot to ask, I would really appreciate someone shedding some light on it. Finally after 6 years of just thinking about I can make it happen.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Yeet posted:

I posted here a while ago about starting up as a goalie. I've done some research on local leagues and pick up games, one of which sometimes waives goalie fees cause apparently no one likes to play that/sometimes nobody shows up. Plus a guy I work with is an assistant coach for his college hockey team and said he'd help me out, maybe even some rink access!

So I'm seriously considering it. Getting into a league/pick up games wouldn't be a problem. The main problem is what gear. I've done some looking around and...

What's the size (and quality? Function? Whatever?) difference between Sr./Youth equipment? Is there something in between for 25 year olds like me or do I choose one of those?

Can you use rollerhockey equipment as ice hockey equipment?

While the OP is terrific on player gear I'm looking for a breakdown on goalie stuff!

I know specifically the last question is a lot to ask, I would really appreciate someone shedding some light on it. Finally after 6 years of just thinking about I can make it happen.

Hit up the Goalie thread.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

:3: Hockey Otter :3:
drat it... my third bauer broke last night (x40). thats like 3 in 1.5 years.

i'm not getting another one even though i really like the backstom/malkin blades.

just a quick question on online stick buying. Anyone buy their sticks online? when you get a senior stick what size does it come in, height wise.

at the shop, there are a bunch of senior sticks, but they all have different heights. I just KNOW what is the right height for me by holding it, how the hell can you tell online? I thought lie had to do with the position of the blade to the ground, but not the length of the shaft. hea hea, shaft :v:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
It should say on the site what the length is. Most are 60", some are 58". I think Eastons are 61" generally. Unless you're pretty tall you should be able to get whatever and get it cut to the right size.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

:3: Hockey Otter :3:

Thufir posted:

It should say on the site what the length is. Most are 60", some are 58". I think Eastons are 61" generally. Unless you're pretty tall you should be able to get whatever and get it cut to the right size.

yeah, only some of them have the size stated (hockeymonkey is better than hockeygiant for this).

anyway, I think i will go feel them out before i buy online.

no more bauers though... :(

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Played a team of nothing but ringers last night. Was awesome not getting a shot on goal til 5 mins left in the 2nd.

How is that even fun for them? :jerkbag:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 2, 2011

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

poser posted:

The rink across from my work has open skate from 11-1. Theres almost never anyone there. This was with my kid last week.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Your rink has windows? Well I never. :colbert: