Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Sponge! posted:

Well, its like a large chemical spill... You can't do jack poo poo but watch it and stay out of the immediate danger area.
That's called a *mimes binoculars* "Looks pretty impressive from here!" accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Brigdh posted:

theres been worse posted in this thread

I don't remember if it was posted in this thread, but I remember one in AI where the driver had let it wear nearly through the ribbing, so that only the face towards the center of the car was left.

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
I replaced rotors on my dad's van, one had collapsed! All those ribs had rusted to structural failure.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
About a year ago I had a car fire from the fan assembly of my neon freezing up. While in a normal car the fuse would trip and the car would overheat a Dodge doesn't work that way so this occurred.

The fan assembly actually fell out

Burned the coolant tank pretty well

Radiator needed to be replaced and was pretty crispy

Wish I had more and better pictures but its been over a year now since it happened. Amazing thing was my dad picked the car up and in a weekend had the drat thing fixed and running again. It idles high now till the engine warms up but he uses it to get back and forth to work now and hasn't had a problem with it at all otherwise. Neons don't loving die :psyduck:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Neons seem to love to catch fire. At rallycross a few falls ago we were just hanging out and random lovely craigslist neon is on fire a few cars over in the paddock. oops.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Revolvyerom posted:

That's called a *mimes binoculars* "Looks pretty impressive from here!" accident

Rule of thumb for haz-mat incidents: If you cannot extend your thumb and cover the entire scene, you are too close.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Epic Fail Guy posted:

Rule of thumb for haz-mat incidents: If you cannot extend your thumb and cover the entire scene, you are too close.

Cops use the donut holes. Can't see the entire incident through the hole of the donut? Too close!

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Epic Fail Guy posted:

The highlight of hazmat training was being told that in the case of invisible deadly gases that can be blown around by winds (chlorine tank rupture), try to stay away from the areas that birds are falling out of the sky.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Revolvyerom posted:

The highlight of hazmat training was being told that in the case of invisible deadly gases that can be blown around by winds (chlorine tank rupture), try to stay away from the areas that birds are falling out of the sky.
Even in these enlightened times, a coroner's report noting "Cranial impact by bertholite-afflicted seagull" still causes amusement.

localized
Mar 30, 2008
I pulled these bad boys out of my '96 Saab 900

Along with those two beauties were two blown struts which couldn't even support their pistons...

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Revolvyerom posted:

We were told to stop at the first dead cop.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Epic Fail Guy posted:

We were told to stop at the first dead cop.
It's pretty ridiculous the poo poo you hear/see from them sometimes. The guys training us had piles of stories of cops wandering across spills because they had boots on and figured they were fine, not realizing the rubber sole was starting to melt, or into a foam-covered oil fire because (obviously!) the fire was out. Turns out re-introducing oxygen into a still-extremely-hot combustible results in more fire. And so on, and so on. Once watched a cop pull up to a fire scene that we were already staging on, and park his car next to the carport of the very-much-engaged housefire. :psyduck: Maybe he thought he'd give moral support while his car burned.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Revolvyerom posted:

It's pretty ridiculous the poo poo you hear/see from them sometimes. The guys training us had piles of stories of cops wandering across spills because they had boots on and figured they were fine, not realizing the rubber sole was starting to melt, or into a foam-covered oil fire because (obviously!) the fire was out. Turns out re-introducing oxygen into a still-extremely-hot combustible results in more fire. And so on, and so on. Once watched a cop pull up to a fire scene that we were already staging on, and park his car next to the carport of the very-much-engaged housefire. :psyduck: Maybe he thought he'd give moral support while his car burned.

Or when they see one empty spot in front of the structure fire, and decide that we must be saving it for them, totally not the ladder coming up behind them.

It's worth it to see a cop try to drive his Charger cop car across charged 5" LDH and get stuck though.

Marux
Mar 15, 2008

College Slice

ApathyGifted posted:

I don't remember if it was posted in this thread, but I remember one in AI where the driver had let it wear nearly through the ribbing, so that only the face towards the center of the car was left.

Not sure where in the thread they are at this point, but I saved these:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
My friend was unable to shift his '00 Focus into gear while it was running...

I guess he loaned it to a guy he works with who lives about a mile away from the shop they work at so he could go home and check on his kids. When he got back he asked him "did you know you can shift your car without pushing the clutch in"? The issues with being unable to put it in gear while running started shortly thereafter.

See also; why I refuse to run a sprung clutch disc.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Geoj posted:

See also; why I refuse to run a sprung clutch disc.

A few failures out of tens (probably hundreds) of millions? You'd rather wear the transmission earlier because of an extraordinarily rare failure probably caused by abuse?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
From the Subaru thread.
My car gets both typical subaru problems at once:

Dammit subaru.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DJ Commie posted:

A few failures out of tens (probably hundreds) of millions? You'd rather wear the transmission earlier because of an extraordinarily rare failure probably caused by abuse?

So a little extra vibration is going to cause my transmission to poo poo itself a few thousand miles earlier than it otherwise would?

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

"A little <insert bad thing here> is nothing to worry about"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
I've had an unsprung clutch on my car for 70,000 miles and the transmission (with 130,000 total miles) is fine.

When do you estimate my unsprung clutch is going to cause catastrophic failure?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Probably on Thursday. :jerkbag:

And this is a very precise depiction of what it's going to look like:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Geoj posted:

^
I've had an unsprung clutch on my car for 70,000 miles and the transmission (with 130,000 total miles) is fine.

When do you estimate my unsprung clutch is going to cause catastrophic failure?

and my 168,000 mile original clutch in my focus failed too? *boggles* Yes, my original clutch made it 168,000 miles.. and then I sold it. For all I know the buyer is still using that same clutch. it hadn't shown any sign of failure.

The guy treated a syncro, FWD transmisison as a crashbox. yeah, that's gonna break poo poo.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 1, 2011

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcZ9ixUyV9U

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Geoj posted:

So a little extra vibration is going to cause my transmission to poo poo itself a few thousand miles earlier than it otherwise would?

Its pretty obvious that the damping from those springs is going to reduce vibration induced stresses though. Im here with you Nerobro, just about to roll over 200k miles on my original clutch. Even taught my self and 3 others how to drive stick in it. 99 Accord DX for reference.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
199k miles and still going strong on my original clutch. 2000 camry v6

It's all about how you treat it. I have friends who routinely will still be slipping the clutch like 3-5 seconds after the car has started rolling, and during every upshift while getting on the accelerator HARD, too. Get your foot off that pedal, yo.

Plus my dad went for a trip with me in my car recently, he'd downshift from 5th->4th->3rd from about 65mph without even attempting to revmatch, just jamming the stick down a gear and dropping the clutch. Come on Dad.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 1, 2011

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Das Volk posted:

So.. why haven't you made a thread about your involvement in this?

There always seems to be fawning over AWD Lardboxes and weekend projects, so I never figured it was worth mentioning. I'll start posting more from future SCCA events then.

In the mean time, I drove the wheels off my kart yesterday. Literally.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGGKq7Ee-fA&feature=player_detailpage#t=414s

Sorry for the lovely picture quality, some fuel spray gummed up the camera casing.

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

FormulaXFD posted:

Grid time

Nice 2002 :o:

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007
In the spirit of the steel accident last page, here's one I caused witnessed:

And the process of fixing it:

All of that metal was torch-cut and removed via overhead crane, took ~45min total.

ETA: The steel was ~3/4" thick at this point, ~6' wide. When it piled up, it was moving at ~250ft/min, and the operator took a couple seconds to hit the big red button.

KaiserBen fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 1, 2011

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm not gonna lie...initially I thought that first picture was a computer case with a fancy red IDE cable on a weird-colored motherboard like a DFI LanParty.

rednocare
May 1, 2011

Not so stupid now.
This is how valves in a 4G63 should look:

Now with a busted timing belt:

The belt in question:

Oh-oh, I think my head gasket died:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Got to see the full carnage on my rear springs this weekend:

For reference, both ends of each spring should look like the top right. I'm amazed they were still in there.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
^x2^ I see your busted head gasket and raise you:

close up of cyl 3 and 5's valves

The other side wasn't bad, but we're looking at a rebore and rebuild anyways...

Can anyone think what the crap in cyl 5 would be? We took the piston out, and the ring is still intact. The cylinder wall isn't damaged nearly enough to create that much material. The headgasket didn't seem busted enough for the material to make it through that way.

As a note, anyone pulling an engine from a junkyard, just because you can turn it some of the way without it seizing, that doesn't mean it will turn 360 degrees...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That engine was sitting for a long, LONG time and that is just bad corrosion from being improperly stored. What year vehicle did it come out of?

e: I can't read

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
'95 z28 Camaro. The car had only been in the yard for about 3 days before we got it, but I'm guessing it sat in the owners driveway for a while. We got it in January though, and yes, before you ask, this is for Lemons. Part of the reason we're still going to fix it rather than junk it is it'll be a learning experience for everyone on the team. None of us have done bottom end engine work before :).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nerobro posted:

The guy treated a syncro, FWD transmisison as a crashbox. yeah, that's gonna break poo poo.

Not questioning that this caused the problem.

To me, I'd rather risk my transmission making GBS threads itself 5-10,000 miles earlier at the very end of its lifespan than run a clutch disc with springs in it. Its not like a sprung clutch disc throwing a spring and requiring a clutch replacement (or worse) on its own is something that's completely out of the question.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

KaiserBen posted:

I like how there's literally fifteen other guys standing around doing nothing supervising the guy with the torch. Get back to work ladies, this ain't fuckin' tea time.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Don't even try to tell me you wouldn't watch.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
What else are they supposed to do? The assembly line they work on is at a dead stop!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So a Dodge Dakota came in to work earlier with a complaint of a horrible noise coming from the car. Apparently the guy took it to Les Schwab twice and they couldnt find a single thing wrong with his car. Pulling it in sounded amazing.

Hm, that backing plate looks a little odd.

Here's the passenger rear for comparison.

Got a nifty little pile of metal dust on the rim. Odd.

:stare:

:staredog:

Something horribly wrong happened to the parking brake inside the rotor. It was pretty much completely gone. Even cracked the caliper mount. Tomorrow I get to pull the axle and fix it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
"Yeah, I had a Dodge once. Terrible gas mileage, no power, and it smelled funny anytime I drove it"