Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tactical Bonnet posted:

What else are they supposed to do? The assembly line they work on is at a dead stop!

Sweep the floor until the line is running again. Never worked in a shop setting with a sadistic manager?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

So a Dodge Dakota came in to work earlier with a complaint of a horrible noise coming from the car. Apparently the guy took it to Les Schwab twice and they couldnt find a single thing wrong with his car. Pulling it in sounded amazing.
[snip]
This is why I'm glad :staredog: is here. Nothing else gets to that level of :stare:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Marux posted:

Not sure where in the thread they are at this point, but I saved these:

That reminds me of the "I WANT TO BELIEVE" posters.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

So a Dodge Dakota came in to work earlier with a complaint of a horrible noise coming from the car. Apparently the guy took it to Les Schwab twice and they couldnt find a single thing wrong with his car. Pulling it in sounded amazing.

Stuff like this really irritates me. I don't expect anyone to bat 1.000 but how do you not find this with the wheel screaming like a cat in a blender? I may not know a lot about auto repair but I figure I have enough self interest to net let something like that slide.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Jeep 4.0 throws a rod, has no oil pressure, still runs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg0QvcaHdZk&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Geoj posted:

Sweep the floor until the line is running again. Never worked in a shop setting with a sadistic manager?
This, basically. I'm sure the boss could find something for everyone to do.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Kylie Sven Opossum posted:

Jeep 4.0 throws a rod, has no oil pressure, still runs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg0QvcaHdZk&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Wrong thread. That's an Awesome mechanical failure. :)

Left Ventricle posted:

This, basically. I'm sure the boss could find something for everyone to do.

How about a "Safety meeting", with donuts and coffee. Looks good for the company, and the workers get to relax.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Sponge! posted:

How about a "Safety meeting", with donuts and coffee. Looks good for the company, and the workers get to relax.
I like where your head's at.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Something horribly wrong happened to the parking brake inside the rotor. It was pretty much completely gone. Even cracked the caliper mount. Tomorrow I get to pull the axle and fix it!

What year? Judging from the wheel, 91 to 93? My 92 has no parking brake. It used to but something happened to it, because the lever is stuck and will not move no more. I know mine's going to want new rear brakes soon.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sponge! posted:

You don't pay employees to sit around. If you must have the meeting, schedule it before or after the shift and before or after everyone clocks in or out.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Geoj posted:

You don't pay employees to sit around. If you must have the meeting, schedule it before or after the shift and before or after everyone clocks in or out.

Have you ever had a job that has meetings? I've gotten paid for every second I've ever been in a meeting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Billy Tully posted:

Have you ever had a job that has meetings? I've gotten paid for every second I've ever been in a meeting.

I work nights in a lovely bar and even I get paid for every meeting we've ever had there.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Billy Tully posted:

Hell I'd get mileage to go to the meetings too!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Where do you think this is coming from?

There's a significant difference between blue-collar and white-collar jobs. I worked in a lumber mill for 2.5 years after graduating highschool. If you weren't working on the shop floor you weren't being paid. Meetings that were mandatory were scheduled before or after your shift and were unpaid. If you didn't like it the managers (there were three of them) would wave a stack of job applications in your face and tell you you're replaceable.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ive worked plenty of blue collar jobs and still got paid. You're getting screwed, man. Even UPS paid for our meeting at the start of every shift and they are super anal about getting every second of work from everyone that works there.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Right now I make as much as I did coming out of high school 12 years ago. I get paid to go to meetings. You're getting assfucked.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Geoj posted:

There's a significant difference between blue-collar and white-collar jobs. I worked in a lumber mill for 2.5 years after graduating highschool. If you weren't working on the shop floor you weren't being paid. Meetings that were mandatory were scheduled before or after your shift and were unpaid. If you didn't like it the managers (there were three of them) would wave a stack of job applications in your face and tell you you're replaceable.

Yeah, you got hosed. Don't blame blue-collar vs white, blame rear end in a top hat managers breaking the law. In the mills, we get paid for every hour we're on site (millsite, not jobsite, since we frequently live on the company's property). You got hosed, don't try to say everyone else should too.

Note: this pic was taken in India, and even then, the workers clocked in before morning meetings.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geoj posted:

Record your hours and if you ever get fired/laid off, sue them for back pay.
Yeah, you may not be able to do anything now without getting fired (even though the law supposedly protects you -- though you may want to talk to a lawyer anyhow, some states basically make you unfireable after such a suit, seriously talk to an employment lawyer).

This is why we used to have unions in this country.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If it wasn't clear I'm no longer working there ("...worked [there] for 2.5 years after graduating...") The place folded about a year after I left because the owners (three brothers who inherited it from their father) wouldn't be able to run a curbside lemonade stand, much less a medium sized business.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 2, 2011

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Chiming in that I'm on flat rate and I get paid for meetings. Dakota was an 03, got it all torn apart today in tome for the owner to call back that he changed his mind :(

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Geoj posted:

Not questioning that this caused the problem.

To me, I'd rather risk my transmission making GBS threads itself 5-10,000 miles earlier at the very end of its lifespan than run a clutch disc with springs in it. Its not like a sprung clutch disc throwing a spring and requiring a clutch replacement (or worse) on its own is something that's completely out of the question.

I'm more saying its an extemely improbable failure that you focus on as some sort of justification to run something that may not provide the cushioning factors required by the OE transmission. There is a reason that nearly every OE clutch package has them.

I have yet to see a single hub spring failure that made a clutch not work (seen pictures of a few but the springs are almost always captured on the engines as well as the sides between the riveted plates), saw one break all its hub springs and they stayed where they were captured but hey 11K RPM on a Honda OE clutch might do those things. They aren't a HIDDEN DANGER OMG, so unless you're some sort of powertrain/mechanical engineer and 70 years of clutch design on a quarter of a billion vehicles have been ticking time bombs, you're being silly.

There's far far more chance of friction material rivets failing due to abuse than just about anything else on a clutch. Then the friction material itself. Then the input shaft. Then probably the pressure plate fingers.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DJ Commie posted:

There is a reason that nearly every OE clutch package has them.

My guess is preventing everyone who buys a manual transmission equipped vehicle from bringing the car back in the day after buying it and saying "its chattering, fix it" is higher on the priority list.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

DJ Commie posted:

I'm more saying its an extemely improbable failure that you focus on as some sort of justification to run something that may not provide the cushioning factors required by the OE transmission. There is a reason that nearly every OE clutch package has them.

I have yet to see a single hub spring failure that made a clutch not work (seen pictures of a few but the springs are almost always captured on the engines as well as the sides between the riveted plates), saw one break all its hub springs and they stayed where they were captured but hey 11K RPM on a Honda OE clutch might do those things. They aren't a HIDDEN DANGER OMG, so unless you're some sort of powertrain/mechanical engineer and 70 years of clutch design on a quarter of a billion vehicles have been ticking time bombs, you're being silly.

There's far far more chance of friction material rivets failing due to abuse than just about anything else on a clutch. Then the friction material itself. Then the input shaft. Then probably the pressure plate fingers.

Exactly. And think of your valvesprings. They see a hell of a lot more abuse than a clutch disc spring. Granted they live in a nice shower of oil, but hey they do see tons more stress...

Nth-ing the whole "Well, if you slot the stick into 1st when you wanted to downshift to third at 55mph, things will fall to bits no matter what, clutch in or out, the disc is spinning at eleventy thousand rpm." concept. Hell in my jeep if I'm in 4L and for some dumb reason descending a hill with the clutch in, if I'm doing more than about 5mph the stick is drat well in neutral. If left in gear the clutch disc will disassociate, because its doing like 12,000 rpm and the redline on the straight 6 is like 3500 I think. (Bitch has some seriously tall gears in her when you add up the diffs, the transfer case, and the transmission...)

I will say though that I'd belive its along the lines of "They're there so the average woman can potentially drive one." They're there to keep the seat-warmer's lack of finesse from killing poo poo.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Dakota was an 03, got it all torn apart today in time for the owner to call back that he changed his mind :(
So what does this mean? You put his horribly broken brakes back together and let him drive it away? Hopefully that involves him singing a legally binding waiver that holds you and your shop harmless if he damages property or people, including himself, due to his negligence.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

So what does this mean? You put his horribly broken brakes back together and let him drive it away? Hopefully that involves him singing a legally binding waiver that holds you and your shop harmless if he damages property or people, including himself, due to his negligence.

Aren't there certain cases where the law compels you to say "no, you can't drive this car in this condition"?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Geoj posted:

Must be nice working in Chinalovely third-world hellhole of a sweatshop!

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

MikeyTsi posted:

Aren't there certain cases where the law compels you to say "no, you can't drive this car in this condition"?
I had to sign such a waiver when I had a shop not do a bunch of work because the problem I had ended up being the wrong guide pins in my calipers. I needed rear wheel bearings (they were leaking, but nothing I couldn't deal with), but they wanted most of an arm to do it. I told them I'd pay for the guide pins and be on my way.

I don't know of any law that says that. Maybe in a state with safety inspections, you could contact the DMV and let them know about it, since it's certainly a safety violation to drive around with one of your rear brakes mangled in such a fashion.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Left Ventricle posted:

You can advise the customer that it's unsafe to drive and make them sign something stating they were told and understand that, but you can't hold the dude's vehicle hostage even if it's for his own good.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Chiming in that I'm on flat rate and I get paid for meetings. Dakota was an 03, got it all torn apart today in tome for the owner to call back that he changed his mind :(

I'd pay for your flat rate too. Whatcha think about Swedes? :circlefap:

Some of the most qualified people I've run into are doing a poo poo job at a local station - hell, or local Saab/Volvo guru was working at a 76 40 years ago.

chernobyl
Jan 2, 2006

GODDAMNIT this holster ITCHES!
n/m

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pienipple posted:

but you can't hold the dude's vehicle hostage even if it's for his own good.

Local Ford Dealer did this to people all the time while I worked there.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Rhyno posted:

It's an old tactic. Doesn't make it legal.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I did test drive it after reassembly, it only wiped out his parking brake in the end. Rotor was gouged internally but the caliper and stopping surface were fine. Drove ok after, heS just not going to be able to use the parking brake.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

EightBit posted:

Must be nice working in Chinalovely third-world hellhole of a sweatshop!

I could write a small book on the horrors I experienced at that place. Like management turning a blind eye on a career alcoholic who would routinely show up 4 hours late in his bar-hopping clothes from the night before and be sent home a half-hour later because he was still poo poo-faced. Or the time they narrowly avoided being caught by the fire department spraying in an open shop. By the time I left they had it in for me to the point where they told my co-worker on a rip saw to work me so hard that I would quit. Had I known at the time (it came out when we were fired at the same time) I would have sued them for hostile work environment.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Hm, that backing plate looks a little odd.

Something horribly wrong happened to the parking brake inside the rotor. It was pretty much completely gone. Even cracked the caliper mount. Tomorrow I get to pull the axle and fix it!

At least Les Schwab should have been able to find this. A customer went into the shop I used to work at with a serp belt noise. It needed an idler pulley and a water pump. "But I just spent $1300 on that stuff at another shop." "What shop?" "Goodyear Tire Center." "...."

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

And content:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Devyl posted:

:laffo:

Also that piston looks very similiar to my Suzuki DRZ's piston posted a few pages back:

I think yours wins though.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Devyl posted:

God drat. 250F or 450F?

EDIT: 5 valve - Yamaha.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Geoj posted:

I could write a small book on the horrors I experienced at that place.
That sounds like a great idea for a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Rhyno posted:

They may have done it but it's quite illegal.