Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Thanks. I wish Windows could do that itself though. Who actually wants whatever they are writing to have different formatting for quotations and stuff from other documents anyway? It's part of Windows' design I don't understand.

edit: openoffice doesn't even have paste as plain text as a context menu item or a hotkey...

Ummm basically 99% of people. The way you can move data across the Office Suite keeping all the formatting is a HUGE thing for me and practically every office worker I know... It's a bit annoying in IT but even so I *still* keep the formatting options as default and instead choose to "paste without formatting" when I need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

marketingman posted:

Ummm basically 99% of people. The way you can move data across the Office Suite keeping all the formatting is a HUGE thing for me and practically every office worker I know... It's a bit annoying in IT but even so I *still* keep the formatting options as default and instead choose to "paste without formatting" when I need to.
Can I ask for a concrete example? Maybe I'm just doing my office work wrong and don't know it.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Samurai Sanders posted:

Thanks. I wish Windows could do that itself though. Who actually wants whatever they are writing to have different formatting for quotations and stuff from other documents anyway? It's part of Windows' design I don't understand.

Read back what you just wrote. You're saying, you don't understand why Windows doesn't muck around with data you, the user in control, specifically asked the program you sent CTRL+C to to copy. Instead, your wish is for Windows to jump in to your data, secretly muck around with it without being asked, and then expect everyone to be happy about it.

Whoops no that would be stupid. Instead of being annoyed with the Windows design documents that say "Do what the user asked" why not be annoyed with the applications that interpret your command as "copy with formatting" instead of "copy as plain text". Why not look and see if those applications can be configured to your preferences, as others have posted, instead of instantly jumping to the conclusion that the OS is faulty because it doesn't secretly mess with your data.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Factor Mystic posted:

Read back what you just wrote. You're saying, you don't understand why Windows doesn't muck around with data you, the user in control, specifically asked the program you sent CTRL+C to to copy. Instead, your wish is for Windows to jump in to your data, secretly muck around with it without being asked, and then expect everyone to be happy about it.

Whoops no that would be stupid. Instead of being annoyed with the Windows design documents that say "Do what the user asked" why not be annoyed with the applications that interpret your command as "copy with formatting" instead of "copy as plain text". Why not look and see if those applications can be configured to your preferences, as others have posted, instead of instantly jumping to the conclusion that the OS is faulty because it doesn't secretly mess with your data.
Okay okay, I see your point, no need to beat me over the head with it.

I use openoffice, I've been looking through its options but can't find anything like that.

Masked Pumpkin
May 10, 2008

Roving Reporter posted:

I guess this is the closest (active) thread to ask about a random VPN. I need a proxy/VPN for only 4-5 times per month at most, and then, not even every month. Bandwidth would vary based on HD, etc but I'm just curious on who to use.

Any suggestions?

I didn't see any replies to this: OpenVPN has been very good for me - I did a basic tutorial on how to get it set up and running some time back, so let me know if you need it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just found the best program for searching. It's called "everything" and I'm using it now to search for files I was looking for.

Win7 search loving blows, I don't know why they messed it up from vista's.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I just found the best program for searching. It's called "everything" and I'm using it now to search for files I was looking for.

Your computer is broken. Win7 search works just fine.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Windows 7's search feature is really the only version that actually worked for me.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

marketingman posted:

I just wrote a macro in Word that made control+shift+v paste without formatting. Best of all possible worlds.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I'm not sure if this is the perfect thread for this question, but I'll ask:

I just downloaded uTorrent and it has some feature called DHT enabled by default. I attempted to Google this, and while I can figure that it means distributed hash tables, what that actually MEANS is solidly above my head. I only ask because it appears to be using network resources, but I'm not actually connected to any torrents (i just installed the drat thing).

I'm just a bit wary since this is the kind of software that tries to change my browser search settings during install. Am I missing out on some crazy new fangled web 3.0 technology that would change my life by simply turning this feature off?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

MrChupon posted:

I just downloaded uTorrent and it has some feature called DHT enabled by default.

If you don't have any active torrents, it shouldn't be doing anything (I think.) What DHT does is make it possible to download torrents without active seeds on the tracker if other people are seeding it with DHT. (Most private trackers disable DHT in their torrents.)

That said, it's completely optional. However, it also doesn't hurt to close the program when you don't have any torrents active.

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss
My computer gets bogged down pretty easily and I was thinking of trying some "booster" type program, similar to the Android Boost on my phone.

I noticed when I use Android Booster on my phone, the speed of the phone doubles and its great.

I was thinking maybe there is something like that for Windows 7? I search the forums and CNET and only found trash, like maxmyspeed.com type stuff.

Any recommendations on a RAM/memory booster of some kind for Windows 7 Pro 64bit?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The reason why Android booster apps work is that the phones sometimes come with criminally low RAM (as low as ~128 MB), and you can't add more, plus you have little control over the background applications. Your computer comes with much more RAM, you can add more easily and cheaply, and you have fairly fine control over background processes.

If your computer is slow because you're running out of RAM (and not because it's just old and not fast anyway), the problem is either that you don't have enough RAM (solution: stick more in) or something is using too much (misbehaving/buggy program, virus, user error keeping 250 different YouTube tabs open).

If you feel your computer really is abnormally slow, post in Haus of Tech Support and I or someone else will help you with figuring out what might be using too many resources and/or what RAM is a good buy for your PC.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm reinstalling w7.

Can I keep a copy of the latest service pack and windows updates on my external hdd so I don't have to re download it all?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Jippa posted:

I'm reinstalling w7.

Can I keep a copy of the latest service pack and windows updates on my external hdd so I don't have to re download it all?

Kind of.

You would need to have downloaded the standalone installers to begin with, rather than getting them through Windows Update.

I suspect you did not do this, so the answer is no.

There are W7 CDs around with SP1 slipstreamed, however so if you know somebody with one of these or have an MSDN/TechNet account you could get one of those.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I bought the $30 XP Pro a few weeks ago when it was available. I was emailed the key, and I downloaded the ISO.

I am now trying to use it in a virtualbox session, and it is not accepting my product key.

It occurs to me that I technically bought an upgrade, which is probably why it was so cheap :p. I have a Windows XP Pro disc/licence, which seems to be a suitable "upgrade" candidate, right?

Do I have to install XP Pro and then install this Win 7 over it? Is there a simpler way to do this?

This is my first time mucking with Windows since XP, and also my first time using software like virtualbox, so please let me know if I am doing this completely wrong.

edit: I "skipped" entering my key during the installation, and then followed the link in the OP to trick it into letting me activate, even though I didn't do a proper upgrade. Should have read the OP more thoroughly the first time!

other people fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 3, 2011

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I saw someone mention a commercial screenshot taking program with some nice features, but I can't remember what it was called or where it was mentioned.

Main thing I want is something that runs on Win7 and can take screenshots with a clean background. GIMP is hopeless for this... Anyone know what it was or where I can get something similar?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
My Windows 7 desktop has started doing this as of a few days ago, after an update or software installation or something. It can't be a driver update because I tried rolling back to my previous working NVidia drivers and the problem stayed. What's funny is also that my Intel HD Graphics powered Windows 7 laptop has been doing that for months now.

On the laptop, it may go away after connecting the HDMI port to my 46" LCD TV and using extend desktop mode. It always returns after a reboot, such as for the latest Intel HD Graphics drivers which were supposedly released April 13th, but first appeared on Intel's driver site two days ago, and still aren't autodetected by their Java powered crap as a new release.

On the desktop, it goes away while full screen games such as Borderlands are running, but returns the moment I quit the game.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 3, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Your computer is broken. Win7 search works just fine.

My computer is broken on a brand new install of ultimate? Yeah I don't think so.

Searching takes forever, it doesn't search properly for named files or files that have a name in it, searching is only based in that folder making you go back to my computer to search all the drives, etc

This does it lickidy split and updates it on changes that happen in the system immediately. Start typing something in, oops it's right there instantly. It's exactly what I want.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

kode54 posted:

My Windows 7 desktop has started doing this as of a few days ago, after an update or software installation or something. It can't be a driver update because I tried rolling back to my previous working NVidia drivers and the problem stayed. What's funny is also that my Intel HD Graphics powered Windows 7 laptop has been doing that for months now.

On the laptop, it may go away after connecting the HDMI port to my 46" LCD TV and using extend desktop mode. It always returns after a reboot, such as for the latest Intel HD Graphics drivers which were supposedly released April 13th, but first appeared on Intel's driver site two days ago, and still aren't autodetected by their Java powered crap as a new release.

On the desktop, it goes away while full screen games such as Borderlands are running, but returns the moment I quit the game.

Same issue here, and someone else is having the problem here

It's driving me insane

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My computer is broken on a brand new install of ultimate? Yeah I don't think so.

Searching takes forever, it doesn't search properly for named files or files that have a name in it, searching is only based in that folder making you go back to my computer to search all the drives, etc

This does it lickidy split and updates it on changes that happen in the system immediately. Start typing something in, oops it's right there instantly. It's exactly what I want.

How brand-new is it? Maybe it's still indexing.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

GreenBuckanneer posted:

:psyduck: this is weird, because searching for anything on my Windows 7 machine literally takes less than two seconds.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GreenBuckanneer posted:

...a brand new install ..
Searching takes forever

Cause of problem found. Also hit windows key, type something, then click see more results to search the whole computer alternately go to my computer and start typing in that search box to search the whole computer.

Difference Engine
Mar 30, 2009
I'm looking for a way to keep my music synced between my desktop and my netbook. I know there are a ton of syncing programs out there, but I would like one that would let me do it over the internet so I could sync my stuff when I was at work, etc. Is cloud storage my best bet? I was thinking of upgrading my Dropbox acct but figured I would ask here to see if there is any other options.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

c0burn posted:

Same issue here, and someone else is having the problem here

It's driving me insane

Different issue. Mine is with the Alt-Tab task switcher, and the whole task switcher dialog Z-order sorting underneath of all the windows when Aero Peek kicks in.

Grouped window switching from the Taskbar is working just fine here.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I used to use Ava Find and now I have switched to Everything. It's soooo loving much easier when you know the exact (or even partial) filename(s) of what you're looking for and you just want the drat results immediately. Plus being able to sort by name, size, date, etc. is incredibly useful. Say you downloaded some avi yesterday but you forgot the name of it. Easy, search for ".avi" and sort by date, bam. That's just one little example of why it's way better than windows search when it comes to dealing directly with files.

e: And compared to Ava Find and Everything, yeah windows search *does* take forever.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

c0burn posted:

You can turn this off in Office

i love you

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Easy, search for ".avi" and sort by date, bam. That's just one little example of why it's way better than windows search when it comes to dealing directly with files.

This works in windows search.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm designing some things to use for my MSc thesis project. I'm doing things on paper right now, but I would also like to have digital versions of what I'm doing.

Is there a free design program out there I can use for this? All it needs to do is be able to set a scale (i.e.: x pixels = y centimeters), draw simple lines, and measure angles between lines.

Any ideas?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Mak0rz posted:

I'm designing some things to use for my MSc thesis project. I'm doing things on paper right now, but I would also like to have digital versions of what I'm doing.

Is there a free design program out there I can use for this? All it needs to do is be able to set a scale (i.e.: x pixels = y centimeters), draw simple lines, and measure angles between lines.

Any ideas?

I haven't tried it personally yet, but have you given Google Sketchup a shot? http://sketchup.google.com]

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Factory Factory posted:

I haven't tried it personally yet, but have you given Google Sketchup a shot? http://sketchup.google.com]

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. It seems like the Pro version has more of what I'm looking for (2D designing), but the free version might work as well.

EDIT: It has a woodworking template, nice! I would still like a 2D version as well if anyone has any suggestions though.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 4, 2011

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good dual pane explorer replacement? xplorer2 is kind of pissing me off lately.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

kri kri posted:

Can anyone recommend a good dual pane explorer replacement? xplorer2 is kind of pissing me off lately.

I like XYPlorer (not free)

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

Difference Engine posted:

I'm looking for a way to keep my music synced between my desktop and my netbook. I know there are a ton of syncing programs out there, but I would like one that would let me do it over the internet so I could sync my stuff when I was at work, etc. Is cloud storage my best bet? I was thinking of upgrading my Dropbox acct but figured I would ask here to see if there is any other options.

Crashplan (free edition) does something similar over the net.
http://www.crashplan.com/consumer/crashplan.html;jsessionid=py0vs5wojkxu

I'm not sure if it will sync over a lan to speed things up initially, but for a few bucks a month extra you also get cloud storage. Seems like its the de facto new home for all the mozy refugees.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

Any ideas?

Probably massive overkill but QCad is free for personal use and should do everything you need as it aims to compete with AutoCAD.

I havent used it in about 5 years mind, Don't know what it's like these days.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Another free package to compete with Autocad is http://www.doublecad.com/Products/DoubleCADXTv3/tabid/1100/Default.aspx

But as said above, its probably overkill.

Theres also the flash based https://www.autocadws.com/ from autodesk. With smartphone apps to go with it now too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lum posted:

Probably massive overkill but QCad is free for personal use

This looks great! Thanks guys.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Now I need some help. My GF is playing about with stitching photos together and the software she's using (Hoogin, or something like that) was refusing to work, except for this one time where it spat out a 3GB uncompressed TIFF file.

Windows can display a thumbnail of this thing, but nothing she's tried can open it (so far I think that's GIMP in both 32 and 64 bit forms, Windows Image Preview and Irfanview)

Know of anything else she can try? OS is 64bit Windows 7 but we also have XP and Linux available.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
You can try Canon's ZoomBrowser/ImageBrowser software, which comes with a toy called PhotoStitch. Page therefor. It's intended for anyone who's bought a Canon camera, and I'm not sure if it will work/if it's technically :filez: without such a camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

She has a Canon camera, PhotoStitch apparently sucked even worse than Hoogin trying to assemble these bloody images.

I suspect she's tried the Canon viewing software too, but will suggest it when she gets home.