Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopWallace
Sep 8, 2004

free balloon day
Anyone have any experience with the RED Rocket card? My boss is thinking of purchasing one if the feature we're bidding on comes through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Got a bunch of footage from a client today - everything in Apple Pro Res 444. The client had asked me earlier if 444 was necessary, and I had told them no, since they were shooting everything on a Canon 5D and they weren't going to gain anything additional from going 444 over 422. They gave me 444 anyways, but it's only for editing in FCP, no motion graphics, so is there any point to them doing 444? I think the guy figures it's all the same to him so he might as well go for the best-looking set of numbers, but I have Final Cut 6 and I can't seem to get a timeline in which I don't need to render this footage, so I'm going to convert it to 422.

Would anyone have a different workflow for this? I don't mind working in 444 if I can find a way to do it without having to render all the time. Is there a different setting I can use for my timeline to get it to play APR 444 1080 sq pixel frames @ 23.98? I can't find a quicktime component for 444, so I'm wondering if it's a FCP7 thing. If I don't figure it out by the time I go to bed then I'll just have compressor convert it all to 422 overnight and then online it later, but I just don't want to spend a ton of time rendering right from the beginning.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes
ProRes 4444 and LT are included with FCP 7.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Honestly, I never go any higher than ProRes LT on footage that was originally from a DSLR or AVCHD camera. If there are benefits to 444 I've never been able to spot them in that type of footage.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

OK good to know. I'm on 6 at the moment and was thinking about upgrading to 7 but was also kinda waiting on 8 to come out. I'll go ahead and set it to convert the footage overnight and import it as 422 tomorrow.

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
What's a good, light export setting in fcp for a rough cut? I need to send it to someone online

HopWallace
Sep 8, 2004

free balloon day

Fiction D posted:

What's a good, light export setting in fcp for a rough cut? I need to send it to someone online

How long is the cut? If it's just for someone to preview, you can't go wrong with H.264 at, say, 2000kbits/sec. That's probably the most common compression for web.

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh

HopWallace posted:

How long is the cut? If it's just for someone to preview, you can't go wrong with H.264 at, say, 2000kbits/sec. That's probably the most common compression for web.

Bout 19 mins. I went with 720p and it says it's going to take an hour. Dunno if I should can it for something that'll take less time.

HopWallace
Sep 8, 2004

free balloon day

Fiction D posted:

Bout 19 mins. I went with 720p and it says it's going to take an hour. Dunno if I should can it for something that'll take less time.

Not sure what your original footage is, but any time you compress something down for web it's a pretty heavy level of compression and does take a little time.

You could easily cut down your compression time considerably by using Compressor with clusters. The only problem is for some reason you can't cluster render in Compressor if you're going straight from FCP. You gotta Export -> Quicktime Movie (pretty fast export, no extra compression added to the timeline), then bring it into Compressor and go from there.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/?heroNum=2

Two things:

1)Blackmagic Hyperdeck Shuttle: A portable 10-bit HD-SDI or HDMI recorder for $345 (SSD not included)
2)DaVinci Resolve Lite will be free, available for download in July.

Holy poo poo why do people keep making things I want to buy :(

1st AD fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 11, 2011

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
those looking to buy Final Cut might want to wait on Final Cut X. Though I wonder if the price tag indicates that it doesn't carry everything that studio has but I hope I'm wrong.

http://mashable.com/2011/04/13/final-cut-pro-x/

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Peacebone posted:

those looking to buy Final Cut might want to wait on Final Cut X. Though I wonder if the price tag indicates that it doesn't carry everything that studio has but I hope I'm wrong.

http://mashable.com/2011/04/13/final-cut-pro-x/

Jesus christ, those comments.

"You see, they slightly changed the interface. This means that literally everything in Final Cut Pro 7 must be gone now and they just added some editing tools to iMovie!"

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I bought a Tascam DR-07 to get better audio, I recorded some dialog in .WAV and it sounds fine when I play the file. However, when I put it into Premiere it has this squelching and constant ringing in playback and the kicker is that when I export it back out, it sounds fine. So it sounds horrible while editing it. Any ideas?

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Which version of Premiere? Also, what are the specs of the WAV itself?

bking
Dec 19, 2005

Comments: 206-495-6525
Is there a thread somewhere about the Final Cut Pro X preview last night at NAB? There has to be a lot of us crapping ourselves over it.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

bking posted:

Is there a thread somewhere about the Final Cut Pro X preview last night at NAB? There has to be a lot of us crapping ourselves over it.

Not specifically, but they're talking about it at the end of this thread in SH/SC:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3114758

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
It's premiere CS5, the .wav is 48k stereo. I don't think any of the audio levels are clipping or peaking.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I bought a Tascam DR-07 to get better audio, I recorded some dialog in .WAV and it sounds fine when I play the file. However, when I put it into Premiere it has this squelching and constant ringing in playback and the kicker is that when I export it back out, it sounds fine. So it sounds horrible while editing it. Any ideas?

What program(s) have you tested it on outside of Premiere?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Well, I don't know what freak conditions I ran into. It was the first clip I had tried with this recorder. I recorded a new thing last night and everything is groovy. No more issues.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Well, I don't know what freak conditions I ran into. It was the first clip I had tried with this recorder. I recorded a new thing last night and everything is groovy. No more issues.

Thank goodness for that. I've actually been trying desperately to reproduce the issue with every project setting and clip I could produce/get my hands on and wondering what the gently caress was going on.

Not even joking.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

So I just uploaded a new reel: http://vimeo.com/22446361

There's a lot of stuff on my vimeo acct that's been in different stages - this video, for instance, there's a lot of stuff from other shoots I've been doing that I wanted to include, but I'm waiting on the director/editor to finish stuff on his end before I can share any of it.

The ad agency I've been working with has me on an NDA so I'm not sure what, if any, of the stuff they've done I can post. So right now I'm just sitting on that until I'm more established w/ them and can start asking (or just include enough stuff I've done for other clients that I don't need to worry about it).

So it's really a snapshot of a work-in-progress, but I figured I need to at least get *something* out there since I have no reel on my website at all right now. Not even really sure where to put this, I shot it and edited it and did the graphics, but it's probably more a cinematographer's reel than anything else. I dunno. There you have it.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Editing and camera newbie here. I was wondering what the safest, most reliable way to mass transfer videos from an SDHC card to the PC is. Dragging and dropping them doesn't seem very stable to me.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

the Bunt posted:

Editing and camera newbie here. I was wondering what the safest, most reliable way to mass transfer videos from an SDHC card to the PC is. Dragging and dropping them doesn't seem very stable to me.

I always use the copy and paste shortcut keys :haw: Just don't ever "move" files! Always "copy" them, and delete the SDHC only after checking that everything was copied fine. Ideally you should copy your material to a RAID-1 kindof setup, so you're safe in case of a drive failure. If you mirror that RAID-1 again and keep the mirrored drive(s) separate, you're also safe against stupidly deleting stuff yourself.

For mirroring, I use SuperDuper on Mac OS and SyncToy on Windows. Those programs take longer than just copy/pasting files, because they analyze stuff too, so when I'm on set, I just copy/paste to a RAID and mirror stuff in the lunch break/evening.

Edit: I've had great experiences with Western Digital MyBook Studio 2 drives. They have a USB and eSATA connection and can also be daisy-chained via FireWire800. Each include two 1TB (or more), user-exchangeable hard drives in a RAID-1 (or 0) configuration, so with two MyBooks you should be good.

Edit2: Oh, and I always had enough camera storage on set for one shooting-day. So, in the evening after checking everything, I would explicitly tell the cameraman to delete the footage off his drives.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 28, 2011

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003
What is everyone using for adding subtitles in Final Cut Studio? I've got a project coming up and have started poking around, it seems like there are only a couple options out there: Annotation Edit, Subbits, and doing it manually.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I just do it manually, but then I never have all that many subtitles to make. I've done them in English & Japanese for videos up to 10 minutes long by just using the text option in Viewer and, for me, it's such a small chunk of time out of the total editing process that I haven't really bothered to look up alternative methods.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

bassguitarhero posted:

I just do it manually, but then I never have all that many subtitles to make. I've done them in English & Japanese for videos up to 10 minutes long by just using the text option in Viewer and, for me, it's such a small chunk of time out of the total editing process that I haven't really bothered to look up alternative methods.

You mean just using the text fx to do open captions? Or do you know something I don't know?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah that's the one. I normally create one text, format it, and then copy+paste in appropriate spots, then go back and open each one and type in the words. Compared to the rest of the time to edit the video, it's pretty quick but if all you're doing is subbing and you're talkin longer stuff then automated solutions would be way better. I've rarely had to spend more than half an hour dealing with subtitle placement, the real work was in getting the text approved, especially translating to Japanese.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

The company I currently work for uses Annotation Edit. I haven't used it myself but they like it and it gets the job done.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Ishamael posted:

But what about the naked lady wipes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1OVWfmynPw&t=48s

There a plugin for premier for these? I gotta redo all the family home movies now.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is there a Final Cut filter that emulates the effect of a graduated ND filter in Adobe Lightroom? Been taking a lot of still images with my SLR and that's the one tool I really wish had an equivalent.

I know in Color I could add a rectangular mask under secondaries and then apply a vignette to that, but I was looking for something I could play with within Final Cut without having to bounce the project to Color.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

1st AD posted:

Is there a Final Cut filter that emulates the effect of a graduated ND filter in Adobe Lightroom? Been taking a lot of still images with my SLR and that's the one tool I really wish had an equivalent.

I know in Color I could add a rectangular mask under secondaries and then apply a vignette to that, but I was looking for something I could play with within Final Cut without having to bounce the project to Color.

You can generate a gradient (Generate -> Render -> Gradient), put it on top of your clip and set its composite mode to something like multiply.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

:doh: Yeah I figured it would be something that simple, thanks!

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
This is a crosspost from the quick questions thread in the AV Arena. I would really appreciate input.

cptInsane0 posted:

I have a question that can hopefully be quickly answered.

I am making a software training video that requires me to capture video from my screen, do some voice-overs, and then put the video onto a DVD. I am using Screen Virtuoso Pro to do the captures, and Adobe Premiere Elements to do the editing.

When I capture the video with screen virtuoso, I have tried many different codecs, all in the .avi container. Most of them look excellent when I am viewing them.

The problem arises when I bring the video into premiere elements. The quality takes a huge hit before I even do anything. I thought AVI was supposed to be the native format to bring into Premiere. I have tried it with divx, xvid, and the FM screen capture codec that comes with screen virtuoso. All of them look great when I watch the files directly.

I have also tried converting the files to .mpg, and .wmv. Doing that works for the little web-based videos I need, but this training video is going to be played on a 56-inch 1080p Television. I don't really need it to be high-def, but at least DVD quality would be nice.

What codec should I use to capture the screens, and how should I proceed from there? If screen virtuoso is not how I should be capturing things, is there anything else I could use that would be better suited for my needs?

I appreciate any help. This project has to be done really soon.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Adobe premiere CS5.5 is a free download with a 30-day trial, no watermarks, you may want to give that a shot and see if it cleans up.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Agreed on the trial, I doubt many of us know much about elements besides it being a stripped down version. If that doesn't work, believe it or not FRAPS will let you capture your desktop very well so long as you monitor aero desktop (checkbox option). The quality is superb and it's totally compatible with premiere. It however will only capture your whole desktop, not individual windows.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
I ended up capturing the video in xvid at 1280x720, rather than 1440x900, used the xvid codec, and then converted it to wmv9 when I was done in elements. The preview in elements still looks weird, but the final product looks fine, and I will just play it from a computer instead of making a DVD.

However, Fraps is not a bad idea. I don't care if it captures full screen as long as it ignores my second monitor. Premiere pro is very nice, and I may dick around with the trial in my spare time, but elements should be fine for my purposes at work. (splice clips together, add titles and voiceovers)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We retired our SD Mojo today and found it had been weeping silently in the corner for who knows how long. Poor guy :(

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

What kind of monitors in the sub-$1000 range are decent for color correction? Right now I'm using a 6-year-old dell 2405fpw, and it does a terrible job reproducing darker colors. When I bring up one of my videos on a computer that's hooked up to a newer LED-backlit display, I can see a lot of detail that I couldn't on my home setup. Does anyone have advice on what to look for or avoid?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Are you correcting for broadcast? If so unless you find a good deal on something used, nothing sub 1K is going to give you the results you want, unless you can find someone offloading an old CRT broadcast monitor. you're also going to need something like a Kona or Blackmagic card to output a proper broadcast signal, the signal a regular video card puts out doesn't have the proper color space or gamma and if you're working interlaced it won't do that right either. Flanders Scientific comes well recommended everywhere I've looked, but their least expensive broadcast monitor comes in at 2500.

If you aren't worried about 100% broadcast compliant, but just the best you can do, a lot of people swear by the Panasonic professional Plasma monitors, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686607-REG/Panasonic_TH_42PF20U_Full_HD_Professional_Plasma_Display.html comes in just slightly over 1k, plus you will need a calibration tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Gunjin posted:

Are you correcting for broadcast? If so unless you find a good deal on something used, nothing sub 1K is going to give you the results you want, unless you can find someone offloading an old CRT broadcast monitor. you're also going to need something like a Kona or Blackmagic card to output a proper broadcast signal, the signal a regular video card puts out doesn't have the proper color space or gamma and if you're working interlaced it won't do that right either. Flanders Scientific comes well recommended everywhere I've looked, but their least expensive broadcast monitor comes in at 2500.

If you aren't worried about 100% broadcast compliant, but just the best you can do, a lot of people swear by the Panasonic professional Plasma monitors, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686607-REG/Panasonic_TH_42PF20U_Full_HD_Professional_Plasma_Display.html comes in just slightly over 1k, plus you will need a calibration tool.

The material I'm going to be working with over the next year will probably be aimed toward public television distribution - I don't have the money for a broadcast-compliant setup, but the producer I'm going to be working with might be willing to spring for one (depending on what kind of facilities can be rented in our rural-ish area).

The Panasonic is more along the lines of what I'm looking for right now - I've started working with 4:2:2 footage in recent months, and I'd like to be able to color correct with greater accuracy than I can with my current monitor.

Edit: There wouldn't happen to be anything a bit smaller with similar capabilities, would there? It would be nice to be able to use it side-by-side with a desktop PC instead of devoting a good chunk of a room to a monitor.

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 5, 2011