Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Polegrinder posted:

Instrument stoner/doom stuff. Both bands just have out an EP, but I see a lot of potential and hope they go far.

MAJOR KONG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCOPBF3-oVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96xeGwMWZxQ

MONGOLIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgGjywg5aqc

Mongolia recorded that EP and split up years ago. I think they reformed for a little bit last year but I don't think they're doing much right now.

The Drainland full length and Grinding Halt split is getting reissued next month on Southern Lord, everyone should check it out if they slept on these guys so far. Ridiculously good stuff (and nice dudes too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

the wizards beard posted:

Mongolia recorded that EP and split up years ago. I think they reformed for a little bit last year but I don't think they're doing much right now.

Seriously ripped me up when I found that out after randomly getting into them from earlier in this thread (someone posted a rec. I followed that led to them, and gently caress they're good) and I'm sad I missed a short reunion, would've been nice to see.

Diseased Yak posted:

So, like, what demon do you have to appease to achieve the mind-blowingly low riff that Moss achieves on the opening track of Tombs of the Blind Drugged? It's gotta be close to below human hearing.

loving seriously. Check out Bong if you haven't (I'm sure you probably have, you're a regular here). I can't find the song on YouTube, but "Black Bong of the Wizards" loving rules. Also, Toronto's short-lived project ORN has two recorded tracks, "Teeth" and "Knowing", both of which will probably bring you to your knees in the best way.

Er, ok, I found it for free dl on megaupload, please, please, please ninja correct me if this is going to get me in trouble (the album is worth it, so grab it before I get banned for this I guess... I'm going to the rules thread for a bit to read some fine print)...

SA Rules posted:

Don't post links, ask for links to download, or otherwise discuss illegal copies of copyrighted works, including movies, books, software, etc. 45-second "sampler" mp3 files are acceptable, within context. ROMs are only allowed if they are out-of-print and unavailable for purchase.

Well, here's where you can buy it for $8.99 .........
http://www.allthatisheavy.com/info.asp?item_num=ATH-6109
Trust me, this is a tremendously heavy album, and totally worth three times that price.

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 27, 2011

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

amplifier worship posted:

Seriously ripped me up when I found that out after randomly getting into them from earlier in this thread (someone posted a rec. I followed that led to them, and gently caress they're good) and I'm sad I missed a short reunion, would've been nice to see.

Ha, I think I posted the demo. 2/3 of Mongolia is now Realistic Train, they're really good and pretty active. More rockin' than Mongolia.
http://realistictrain.bandcamp.com/

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Ha, I think I posted the demo. 2/3 of Mongolia is now Realistic Train, they're really good and pretty active. More rockin' than Mongolia.
http://realistictrain.bandcamp.com/

Are they HO scale?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Are they HO scale?

Had to look this up. :rolleyes:

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Had to look this up. :rolleyes:

Haha, I realize it was cheesy as gently caress, apologies. I was tired after a very, very long day at work and couldn't help myself. In all seriousness, though, I listened to it and dug the poo poo out of it (Realistic Train goes very well with the History Wait What This Happened? thread, from roughly page 85 onwards) and also copped the free download. Thanks, please keep recommending awesome stoner poo poo, and I'll do my best to keep doing the same!

On that topic, why the hell, in two threads, has nobody mentioned these guys yet? Stoned Jesus - Occult

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

On that topic, why the hell, in two threads, has nobody mentioned these guys yet? Stoned Jesus - Occult

Just picked up "First Communion" yesterday, along with Stormcrowfleet by Skepticism. I would have hated it so much when it first came out.. but I love it so much now!!

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this isn't correct. I *would* have loved it at the time, and when I bought "The Carnival Bizarre" back in the day, I hated it because I was expecting something more along the lines of what Stormcrowfleet was, and not awesome Sabbath worship.

"First Communion" is pretty good - only 40 minutes, though, and I wish it was longer.

EDIT: After having it for a few days, and listening to it pretty much non-stop, I have to say it was certainly worth the $5 to Klicktrack for it... and I hope we get another one of these (but longer) in the near future.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 30, 2011

PowerCosmic
Feb 11, 2010
Just wanted to drop in and say hello. I fell off the face of the forums, did a bit of wandering and am just now finally circling back. I can't wait for the weather to warm up and just go cruising to some Truckfighters or Clutch. I can't thank everyone enough for their listening suggestions as the aforementioned Truckfighters, Ancestors, Black Pyramid, and Goatsnake eased me through the long and stupid winter.

Might as well bring up a point of conversation: have there been any releases similar to any of the above mentioned bands? I'm totally out of the loop.

NuclearGuru
Jan 4, 2011

fozzie dunlop posted:

I don't have PMs, but I'm very interested in this deal. AIM in profile, hit me up!

Hey dude, I haven't seen you online at all. I haven't been on 24/7 or anything so we might have just missed each other. It'd probably be easier if you just shoot me an email at nuclearguru99 at gmail.

For the Clutch fans: I found a veritable treasure trove of rarities, demo versions, etc here: http://www.ben-carlson.com/index.php?s=clutch. I'm a super Clutch fanboy so this was a great find for me. Neil's solo stuff is certainly a surprise.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Belzebong. Stoner/doom. Tasty.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

Idioteque Dance posted:

Belzebong. Stoner/doom. Tasty.

Jesus loving gently caress. Hail Satan.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Sounds like yet another uninspired Sleep ripoff to me. The first tune even steals the main riff from "From Beyond."

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Ghost of Orbo posted:

Has The Wandering Midget been mentioned yet? poo poo name, but they've got some good riffs.

Vocals remind me of The Wizar'd

Hah, I'll pass that on to the Wizar'd guys, though they undoubtedly already know of it. Doesn't quite have Will's nasal whining but it's close!

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
MANA MANA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYmYmtaEm5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvyPeK1ozys

Doom rock or... whatever, gently caress. A long dead band with a legally insane vocalist that definately bears mentioning.

Ghost of Orbo
Mar 16, 2008

H2Eau posted:

Hah, I'll pass that on to the Wizar'd guys, though they undoubtedly already know of it. Doesn't quite have Will's nasal whining but it's close!

Ha, cool. Have to admit, though, the only Wizar'd stuff I've got is that first EP and the Smoldering Sinners 7" that came out on Rusty Axe. Did that label go under, or what? They kept putting out freaky black/noise projects and I always thought it was weird that they had released stuff by The Wizar'd.

Should definitely check out their other work. The last album especially.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

Kuntz posted:

MANA MANA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYmYmtaEm5Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvyPeK1ozys

Doom rock or... whatever, gently caress. A long dead band with a legally insane vocalist that definately bears mentioning.

I can confirm that the Finnish language ruins every piece of music.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

Ghost of Orbo posted:

Ha, cool. Have to admit, though, the only Wizar'd stuff I've got is that first EP and the Smoldering Sinners 7" that came out on Rusty Axe. Did that label go under, or what? They kept putting out freaky black/noise projects and I always thought it was weird that they had released stuff by The Wizar'd.

Should definitely check out their other work. The last album especially.

It was Matt from the now defunct Sydney band Shackles that hooked The Wizar'd up with a label, but I can't remember if it was Barbarian Wrath or Rusty Axe.

They have another band, Space Raven, that used to be pretty similar to The Wizar'd, too, but are pretty much 80's heavy metal now. Not that that's a bad thing at all.

Most memorable set I ever saw The Wizar'd do was a pisstake of all their own songs, with Horned Lord as a thrash song and Crushing Gothic Slime as a psychadelic pop song. Also their latest album is pretty killer, the title track is rad.

Myspace link

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Cold Day posted:

I can confirm that the Finnish language ruins every piece of music.

I beg to differ, but, then again, I am Finnish. And always thinking of writing songs in Finnish but never actually doing it. Except for project of less than serious nature.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

HMorg posted:

I beg to differ, but, then again, I am Finnish. And always thinking of writing songs in Finnish but never actually doing it. Except for project of less than serious nature.
I was always curious about bands that write in English as a second language. Is it mostly a personal preference, or do bands also do it as a marketing thing to appeal to more people?

I'm guessing with regards to stoner/doom/sludge it'd be the former but I've always wondered.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Idioteque Dance posted:

I was always curious about bands that write in English as a second language. Is it mostly a personal preference, or do bands also do it as a marketing thing to appeal to more people?

I'm guessing with regards to stoner/doom/sludge it'd be the former but I've always wondered.

Well, for me, it's mainly personal preference. It's funny, but I think I write better in English. Or maybe I'm far enough detached from English that I don't realize how lame my lyrics are, which I would notice if I wrote in Finnish. But the marketing aspect does exist. With the help of internet, our audience is international. Besides, it's still rarer (though it's becoming more and more common) for Finnish metal bands to sing in Finnish than English, as Finland is a rather small market. Also, I am confident my lyrics aren't the shittiest pieces of English to come out of Finland.

Then again, it's very much possible that with music as marginal as this, the people who are interested would be interested whether the lyrics were in English or not, and perhaps would try to seek out translations. Also, if you've listened to Ever Circling Wolves, could you comprehend the lyrics based on my articulation? Did you take a look at the lyrics (they can be found on the internet)? Or do you think the lyrics are of secondary importance and could not be bothered?

Interesting question, and I might write more about it later when I have time. But yeah, mostly personal preference.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just back from 2.5 weeks in Cali and I managed to see exactly 0 stoner doom bands.
I thought it was the promised land :(

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
Came here to mention Major Kong but see they've already been pimped. Riff-tastic instrumental doomy sludge. Plus, any band who has a track named "Witches On My Land" instantly warrants a listen. Damned witches, get off mah land!!

loving seriously. Check out Bong if you haven't (I'm sure you probably have, you're a regular here). I can't find the song on YouTube, but "Black Bong of the Wizards" loving rules. Also, Toronto's short-lived project ORN has two recorded tracks, "Teeth" and "Knowing", both of which will probably bring you to your knees in the best way.

Yep, loves me some Bong. I've not heard of ORN, will track 'em down. Thanks for the tip, sir!

Diseased Yak fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 3, 2011

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Idioteque Dance posted:

There are a lot of Scandinavian "stoner rock" bands who sing (badly) in English, and I always figured it was because they were so hung up on the Kyuss sound that they tried to emulate every single bit of it.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

HMorg posted:

Well, for me, it's mainly personal preference. It's funny, but I think I write better in English. Or maybe I'm far enough detached from English that I don't realize how lame my lyrics are, which I would notice if I wrote in Finnish. But the marketing aspect does exist. With the help of internet, our audience is international. Besides, it's still rarer (though it's becoming more and more common) for Finnish metal bands to sing in Finnish than English, as Finland is a rather small market. Also, I am confident my lyrics aren't the shittiest pieces of English to come out of Finland.

Then again, it's very much possible that with music as marginal as this, the people who are interested would be interested whether the lyrics were in English or not, and perhaps would try to seek out translations. Also, if you've listened to Ever Circling Wolves, could you comprehend the lyrics based on my articulation? Did you take a look at the lyrics (they can be found on the internet)? Or do you think the lyrics are of secondary importance and could not be bothered?

Interesting question, and I might write more about it later when I have time. But yeah, mostly personal preference.

As a fan of ECW, let me weigh in. I listen mainly to death and doom, and rarely bother reading or trying to suss out lyrics. It would make no difference to me whether the lyrics were Finnish or English. You can't understand them most of the time anyway, and it doesn't really matter to me.

I sometimes glance over the lyrics(though not always), and if they seem interesting, read further. I remember the lyrics to Ulver's "Nattens Madrigal" being sung in Norwegian but printed in both Norwegian and English.

The only time I've ever translated any lyrics was quite recently. I translated some from a doom band called Kronlarvo because they were sung in Esperanto, which I am studying. I doubt I would have bothered otherwise.

That having been said, I have a huge boner for Finnish music, from Nest to Hanoi Rocks to Convulse to ECW. I don't know why, but it seems to me that Finnish bands produce a much greater ratio of awesomeness to crap. Any time I hear about a Finnish metal band, I am intruiged(American, BTW). Never cared for Amorphis, though.

Anyway, that was probably very unhelpful. When is some new ECW material coming out?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

Finnish bands produce a much greater ratio of awesomeness to crap.

I disagree.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

When is some new ECW material coming out?

We just put out a couple of new songs, there are links in the OP.

Ninja edit: And a new album might come out in the fall/winter.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

HMorg posted:

We just put out a couple of new songs, there are links in the OP.

Ninja edit: And a new album might come out in the fall/winter.

Thanks for the input, linguistics are always interesting. I agree that it barely matters when you can't distinguish what is actually being said/screamed/growled anyway. Let me know if you want anything else ECW-related plugged in the OP.

vorbis vorbilby
Apr 9, 2001

d-beat dad
I don't think I've seen this posted, but my buddies in Loss are putting out a new album on Profound Lore very soon. Funeral doom for those of you interested.

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/mp3/LOSS_ill_body.mp3

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love Dopefight but I can't help but think their album is really, really repetitive. It would work better as an EP. Maybe i'm not getting high enough.

You aren't high enough.

Haven't been here in awhile due to scholastic time wasting and the creation of my website.

Shroud Eater just pressed a final 50 copies of their debut LP, check out where you can get one and spin their tunes here: http://orlandooom.com/2011/05/04/shroud-eater-second-pressing/

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Welcome back :)

Same goes for you, if you want any new Bad Actor stuff to plug that you want in the OP.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

ChrisFarley posted:

I don't think I've seen this posted, but my buddies in Loss are putting out a new album on Profound Lore very soon. Funeral doom for those of you interested.

http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/mp3/LOSS_ill_body.mp3

Loss is awesome, and Profound Lore is a killer loving label/distributor. Thanks for this, didn't realize they had new material!

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
edit: post was lame

Leopold N. Loeb fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 5, 2011

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Idioteque Dance posted:

Welcome back :)

Same goes for you, if you want any new Bad Actor stuff to plug that you want in the OP.

Unfortunately, Bad Actor called it quits after our show with Brutal Truth in December.

However, a new band has formed but has yet to be named. In the mean time I've started Orlandooom.com and been promoting some exciting shows in Orlando. Complete with custom flyer designs by Keith Carlson:

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
So I guess both Sleep and YOB are playing shows within the next few months (@ Terminal 5 and le poisson rouge respectively I believe) along with the already mentioned Kyuss Lives! and The Sword. It's a good time to like stoner and doom.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Where is that god drat Sleep live DVD?
:argh:

Chest3r
Dec 8, 2003
nutsack.

West posted:

Unfortunately, Bad Actor called it quits after our show with Brutal Truth in December.

However, a new band has formed but has yet to be named. In the mean time I've started Orlandooom.com and been promoting some exciting shows in Orlando. Complete with custom flyer designs by Keith Carlson:

You guys really need to schedule shows to cater to my work week... I will make it out there some time soon I hope! Also, Let me know what happens with this new band forming.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...

West posted:

Sorry to hear about the demise of Bad Actor, brother.

New nameless band, eh? Let's think up some names:

Riff Titan
Slumbering oval office
Subterranean Weed
Bearded Hulk
The Riffage Trench
Slothful Bong

and my personal fav: High Bearded Fucks

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Facial Hair Full of Bongs
Weed Conan
Sleepy Satans
Bearded Riff-Mammoth

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
Bongripper... JESUS!!! (or should I say SATAN!!!). Why haven't I listened to them before? Satan Worshipping Doom is kicking my rear end right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Polegrinder posted:

Bongripper... JESUS!!! (or should I say SATAN!!!). Why haven't I listened to them before? Satan Worshipping Doom is kicking my rear end right now.

They've a new 7" coming out soon, Sex Tape/Snuff Film. To quote the band "brand new material. sounds like you are getting loving raped by a jackhammer"

Can't wait for it, SWD is one of my favourite albums of 2010,easily top 3.

Also Adventure Time, gently caress yeah.