Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

Alright... got my tracking number from Radio Shack and my Epic will be in my hands Thursday morning!

Now, my question for any Epic owners here is about the best way to carry this beast. My past 3 phones have been the old Samsung A900 flip-phone, Blackberry Pearl, and the Palm Pre. All 3 relatively small and I've carried them all in a belt-clipped holster/pouch. I've seen the horizontal belt pouches for the Epic at the Sprint store and Best Buy, and they seem just too drat big to wear comfortably. However, even if I buy a nice rubberized case and good screen protector and carry it in my pocket it is going to both feel bulky and more likely to get the screen crushed when my clumsy rear end runs into the corner of the hallway or something.

The other option I've seen are the vertically clipped hard cases that you snap the phone into, screen-side facing your hip. I'd feel this might be my best solution, but wanted to get an experienced viewpoint or two here.

Well, it is a gorilla glass screen so.providing you don't carry your phone in your pocket with keys, coinage, and/or jewelry, the screen should stay pristine.

I've never so much as used a case or screen protector on my Epic, and my phone was pristine except for the fact that it was a $600 paperweight when I brought it to the Sprint store. I don't work in a very active field and chill at a desk all day.

Unless you work in a field where you have concerns about having your phone crushed on a regular basis I would say the greatest threat to the thing are those silver block letters above the softkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
After using the voice integration for a little while I'm changing my mind on having two separate numbers. I made my sprint number a voice number and I can't see the need for a work and personal number being separate given the control you get with voice. Originally I just wanted voice features and a separate number so new clients would call me and I'd know right away if it was friends or work calling my phone..The way I've set up voice gives me the same advantages with a few more options:

If friends call my number it goes directly to a simple voicemail message if I choose not to answer it. If anyone else calls it goes to a formal voicemail asking the speaker to speak slowly and clearly when leaving a message (the transcription is decent enough with that, in that I can pretty much get the gist of the message without needing to listen to it in a pinch). Unknown callers are also asked to identify themselves before I'm given an option of either picking up, or letting them leave a message while being able to listen to it and jump in at any time if I'd like.

The ability to also use SMS and voice calls on anything with the web/mic from the phone number I've had for 10 years is pretty sick. If my phone dies I'm not as totally screwed as I'd normally be.

And of course, the most evil genius use is being able to publicly share drunken voicemails in a shaming fashion.

Thumbs up google/sprint.

(the conference call and number blocking features are pretty amazing too)

SURPRISE WITNESS
May 14, 2004

I am pretty sure this is how it is supposed to go.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm not sure that carrying the Epic is different than any other smartphone except that it's a bit thicker due to the keyboard.

Well, like I said, I'm used to much smaller phones like the Pearl and Palm Pre... this thing is nearly the size of both combined, height/width-wise.

The Entire Universe posted:

Well, it is a gorilla glass screen so.providing you don't carry your phone in your pocket with keys, coinage, and/or jewelry, the screen should stay pristine.

I've never so much as used a case or screen protector on my Epic, and my phone was pristine except for the fact that it was a $600 paperweight when I brought it to the Sprint store. I don't work in a very active field and chill at a desk all day.

Unless you work in a field where you have concerns about having your phone crushed on a regular basis I would say the greatest threat to the thing are those silver block letters above the softkeys.

After learning about the gorilla glass, I'm glad I don't necessarily need a screen protector. I felt like the Zagg shield I had on my Pre was a necessary evil. It made it look like crap and felt like it made the touchscreen slightly less responsive but the screen underneath is still as perfect as the day I unboxed it.

So, now I'm looking at the Seidio cases for the Epic, which seem to not add much bulk and should protect it from day-to-day wear. And if I find it too bulky for my pocket, Seidio also makes holsters for them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
The Playbook for sprint (wifi only still) got delayed again release wise. For those very few holding their breath over it.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Duckman2008 posted:

The Playbook for sprint (wifi only still) got delayed again release wise. For those very few holding their breath over it.

The screen's great on that device.

The rest is middling at best.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Duckman2008 posted:

What is a Playbook for Sprint that is wifi only? Isn't that just called...a Playbook? Why would someone wait on a "sprint version" when they can just buy the non sprint version, if theyre the same thing?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rent posted:

What is a Playbook for Sprint that is wifi only? Isn't that just called...a Playbook? Why would someone wait on a "sprint version" when they can just buy the non sprint version, if theyre the same thing?

Probably wouldn't make a drat lick of sense to release a tablet that isn't wimax on Sprint with the possible switch to LTE during the life of the device, when you consider the resources available to RIM. It isn't like they can easily afford to piss away money on yet another platform, especially one that requires a higher level of investment such as a tablet. They are likely just hedging against the possibility that they release it and 10 months later they're selling a 3G tablet in a market that will be expecting 4G capabilities as Sprint phases out Wimax.

e: Or RIM is just a bunch of weirdos and only makes it with Wifi. Thanks, Duckman2008!

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 4, 2011

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
If anyone out there is still waiting for the gvoice integration email, I just got mine this morning.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rent posted:

I should have been more clear, its wifi only so it really doesn't matter where you get it from. All I said is that Sprint stores are delayed on getting it, so basically if you want it go to staples.

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me
Can Google Voice be removed if I set up the integration and don't like it? I just got the email and I want to try it out but from the sounds of some of the complaints about notifications and such I want to make sure I can go back if its not for me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Port in credits are back, so going through sprint.com or any corporate or 3rd party store will net you $50 for a feature phone, $125 for a smartphone. Upgrades of course don't get this.

Edit: Update to this: Sprint is also offering a $50 credit for anyone porting a new number over that actively serves in the military. Its combinable, so anyone in military getting a smartphone can get up to $175 just for switching.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 4, 2011

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

Now, my question for any Epic owners here is about the best way to carry this beast. My past 3 phones have been the old Samsung A900 flip-phone, Blackberry Pearl, and the Palm Pre. All 3 relatively small and I've carried them all in a belt-clipped holster/pouch. I've seen the horizontal belt pouches for the Epic at the Sprint store and Best Buy, and they seem just too drat big to wear comfortably. However, even if I buy a nice rubberized case and good screen protector and carry it in my pocket it is going to both feel bulky and more likely to get the screen crushed when my clumsy rear end runs into the corner of the hallway or something.

I use the Samsung OEM leather holster, and its been a pretty good case. Not at all obtrusive.

Don't buy it from Sprint though, it can be had cheaper elsewhere. Like, Amazon for example.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
If anyone is looking for a good deal on some case(s) for their evo, I'm selling two otterboxes over in SA Mart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3409023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SURPRISE WITNESS posted:

After learning about the gorilla glass, I'm glad I don't necessarily need a screen protector. I felt like the Zagg shield I had on my Pre was a necessary evil. It made it look like crap and felt like it made the touchscreen slightly less responsive but the screen underneath is still as perfect as the day I unboxed it.
I wouldn't recommend going the route of a screen protector. To me, it's worth the risk of a scratch or two to avoid them. But for some reason Gorilla Glass has this reputation of being an unscratchable magic substance and you'll hear anecdotes like "I have a Gorilla Glass phone with absolutely no scratches and anyone who has them must grind their phone against cinderblocks" or something equally silly.

I'm just saying that my wife and I both own Epics, and we both have scratches. Mine are only where the screen is left exposed from my pouch, and must be happening in my pocket which otherwise only contains a (capped) pen and a tube of chapstick. My wife's is completely unprotected and spends the day in her purse with keys and a wallet. I've never dropped my phone and to my knowledge neither has she. In general, I take very good care of my devices although not to the point where I obsess over them.

It sounds like you're doing so, but my point is that if minor scratches will bother you, it's worth doing something to protect the phone at least while it's not in use. There's posts frequently on xda of the variety, "my Epic has scratches I thought it was Gorilla Glass WTF." So while many folks may never have problems, it's possible, and it's not limited to the take-a-circular-saw-to-the-phone crowd. Depending how much such scratches might bother you, I'd consider protection as appropriate.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 4, 2011

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Duckman2008 posted:

Port in credits are back, so going through sprint.com or any corporate or 3rd party store will net you $50 for a feature phone, $125 for a smartphone. Upgrades of course don't get this.

Port in meaning taking your number from another service into Sprint?

How long will these last, do you think?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

Port in meaning taking your number from another service into Sprint?

How long will these last, do you think?

Yep and until June 23rd I believe.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
So basically "before the EVO 3D comes out" then? I figured as much.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

So basically "before the EVO 3D comes out" then? I figured as much.

Actually the Evo 3D will very possibly be out before then.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Duckman2008 posted:

Actually the Evo 3D will very possibly be out before then.

Here's to hoping!

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Does the Port-in discount apply to EPRP? Or does that count as corporate?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

Does the Port-in discount apply to EPRP? Or does that count as corporate?

Not completely sure, but according to the website it is available for all consumer accounts, so my bet is yes (EPRP is not a corporate plan from my understanding).

http://www.sprint.com/switchtosprint

and

https://www.sprint.com/50promo

And for business accounts, its $175 a line:

https://www.sprintportcredit.com

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I called employee care the last time they offered the credit and they said no go for EPRP

technic
May 7, 2007
I got this email from Sprint the other day and was just curious if this is one of the things that can get me out of my contract without paying the ETF.

quote:

NOTICE OF TELECOMMUNICATIONS RELAY SERVICE (TRS) SURCHARGE INCREASE

Effective with telephone bills issued on or after April 1, 2011, the Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS) surcharge is $.11 per access line, per month. On February 2, 2011, the North Carolina Utilities Commission authorized an increase in the monthly TRS surcharge amount from $0.09 to $0.11 to maintain adequate funding for the Telecommunications Resource Program (TRP) and for Regional Resource Centers within the Division of Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. TRP is a program within the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services consisting of a telecommunications relay service that enables persons with hearing, speech and vision impairment to communicate with others by telephone and an equipment distribution program. Regional Resource Centers provide a wide spectrum of services, including: (1) advocacy, consultation, workshops and training on a wide variety of topics pertaining to hearing loss; (2) communication support; (3) information and referral services; (4) assistance with selection, application for and set-up of equipment, training, and technical assistance as part of the equipment distribution service; and (5) outreach regarding available resources.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

technic posted:

I got this email from Sprint the other day and was just curious if this is one of the things that can get me out of my contract without paying the ETF.

I'm no lawyer, but I doubt it.

Sprint didn't initiate the change, North Carolina Utilities Commission did. All Sprint is doing is providing transparency/information as to why they had to increase your bill.

Also, it's $0.02...and it's to help handicapped people. Who complains about that?

Bicarbon
Jul 15, 2004

Chappy posted:

Nah, it's legit. I found that form in a google FAQ searching for it, but it looked like it was for mistakes. I was honest when I filled mine out too. Here's hoping.

I filled the form out on Friday, and got an e-mail today that the change was completed.

BUT you can't forward your current google voice number to your current sprint number once you make that sprint number a google voice number. Hopefully that makes sense; basically you can't forward from a google voice number to another google voice number, even if the latter is just a sprint number that has this new full integration with google voice.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Hate to use the S word, but I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy S2 and looks wise it blows the EVO 3D out of the water. It might be the sexiest phone I have ever seen. Super thin, dual core, and 4.3 inch super amoled screen. I love thin phones and this one takes the cake. It is the first phone I seen that look wise blows away the iPhone. I know all carriers are suppose to get one and please God let Sprint get one without a hard keyboard (pretty please!). I think I am going to official wait on my upgrade until I hear what is going to happen with the S2.

Funny I hate Samsung and love HTC.

Edit: WTF am I thinking. Can't go Samsung unless a Nexus, but gently caress that funny is sexy. I just don't like the hardware look of the EVO 3D that much.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 5, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

nate fisher posted:

Hate to use the S word, but I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy S2 and looks wise it blows the EVO 3D out of the water. It might be the sexiest phone I have ever seen. Super thin, dual core, and 4.3 inch super amoled screen. I love thin phones and this one takes the cake. It is the first phone I seen that look wise blows away the iPhone. I know all carriers are suppose to get one and please God let Sprint get one without a hard keyboard (pretty please!). I think I am going to official wait on my upgrade until I hear what is going to happen with the S2.

Funny I hate Samsung and love HTC.

"It's looks so good on paper, I want to get one."

Son, you've been Samsung'd.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

900ftjesus posted:

"It's looks so good on paper, I want to get one."

Son, you've been Samsung'd.

Ha I know. It is like seeing a sexy woman far away only to find it she is a cross dresser when you get up close. I just wish HTC would make better looking phones. You do have to admit the Galaxy S2 is one of the sexiest looking phones ever.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Just buy an iPhone instead.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

diospadre posted:

Just buy an iPhone instead.

So you are saying that Android fans or Sprint users are not allowed to have phones that are not only power houses but look great? I am on my 5th HTC phone and I will be the first to admit that a lot of their phones are not pleasing to the eye. While I think the EVO is not bad at all I find the dual camera look on the back of the EVO 3D awful. I just hope it looks better in person. If I could combine the looks of the Galaxy S2 with the software and support of HTC I would have my perfect phone.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

nate fisher posted:

I am on my 5th HTC phone and I will be the first to admit that a lot of their phones are not pleasing to the eye.

You're giving me flashbacks to my Mogul and TP2 years. Great phones, but good lord were they ugly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

It is like seeing a sexy woman far away only to find it she is a cross dresser when you get up close.

Can this be the new android thread title?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Bicarbon posted:

I filled the form out on Friday, and got an e-mail today that the change was completed.

BUT you can't forward your current google voice number to your current sprint number once you make that sprint number a google voice number. Hopefully that makes sense; basically you can't forward from a google voice number to another google voice number, even if the latter is just a sprint number that has this new full integration with google voice.

Any clue if it would work to port the number to a new e-mail address, then link it to your sprint number (as a non-mobile phone maybe?), THEN do the google/sprint integration?

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005
The thing with Samsung's designs is, even though they may look nice, you know they're going to use that horrible cheap shiny plastic that scratches if you look at it wrong. I'd rather have a nice feeling phone than a nice looking phone.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
The first time I laid eyes on the EVO 3D, the camera lense fixture was a huge eyesore. After a month of watching video previews, it's becoming less an issue.

Subliminal 3D messages are probably to blame.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

moolchaba posted:

The first time I laid eyes on the EVO 3D, the camera lense fixture was a huge eyesore. After a month of watching video previews, it's becoming less an issue.

Subliminal 3D messages are probably to blame.

You never really sit and look at the back. It's like driving an ugly car, you stop noticing after a while because you never see it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm more concerned about the fact that the EVO3D seems to rest on the lenses' protrusion when you set it down. I think I'll be getting some kind of "bumper" style case (that one with the kickstand in it looks tempting, too), or at least be really DYI tacky and stick a couple rubber feet around the backside. :v:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm more concerned about the fact that the EVO3D seems to rest on the lenses' protrusion when you set it down. I think I'll be getting some kind of "bumper" style case (that one with the kickstand in it looks tempting, too), or at least be really DYI tacky and stick a couple rubber feet around the backside. :v:

It's the same as the EVO: The lens is slightly recessed, the metal outer ring touches the ground, not the lens. But if you set it down on some crumbs or something, it'd make contact.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

nate fisher posted:

So you are saying that Android fans or Sprint users are not allowed to have phones that are not only power houses but look great?

Well I think we should be allowed to but that's not the way it is :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I wish they made an EVO 3D that didn't have A) the 3D lenses and B) the stupid 2D/3D switch that I will never use. But everything else.