Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Wolfy posted:

It is odd because I always thought interest in the NHL came naturally with interest in hockey.

It doesn't, and it's extremely frustrating for me as a player and coach because I've personally learned a gently caress LOAD from watching NHL games, and anybody can. I still learn stuff now, and I've been playing and watching my whole life. I loving love watching NHL defensemen and seeing how they play certain situations and how they position themselves in certain situations and so on.

People who just play and don't watch are really missing out. I bet some of the goons on here who are just starting out and don't have the skating/stickhandling yet are still better positionally and know the game better than the people they are playing with that don't watch hockey. And I've certainly noticed that with kids I've coached. Invariably the ones who play like morons don't watch hockey. The ones that do tend to understand the game much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Topoisomerase posted:

^^No, because that's a lovely attitude to have. If you're in a league for beginners you either (a) are a beginner yourself or (b) should not be playing in a league for beginners. If you're frustrated with playing with people who try but aren't good, play in a higher league and BE the person who frustrates another player for not being that good.

It's not an attitude,though. the fact of the matter is that when you are playing a sport to have fun, it can sometimes be frustrating to play with someone who makes it hard on you. as pavel datsyuk says, "no fun to have no puck," and when you play with someone who is really, really bad, it can feel like you're on the penalty kill and you don't get to play with the puck very much.

i'm not saying i hate the kid or want him to stop playing or anything of the sort, but i feel like everyone has played with someone who, in the back of their head, has thought "well i wish i was playing with someone a little better so i could receive a tape to tape pass on this breakout instead of seeing him fling it up the boards for a turnover."

I'm just out there to play and have fun, and i certainly encouraged this player every chance i got. he did some good things, and he did some bad things, but i suppose he is really learning along with me. it is pretty obvious, though, that he doesn't watch much hockey, or i think he would be much better positionally.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I take those situations as challenges, Lawnie. While like anyone else I prefer to play with good players because winning is fun, I don't mind playing with bad ones either (provided the effort is there). There is something fun for me too about having to step up my game because of weaker players.

Instead of getting mad at weaker players in those situations I try to just put more pressure on myself to up my game, because I know I have to for us to win.

For me it's all about effort. If you give an honest effort I won't be bothered.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Vigilance posted:

It doesn't, and it's extremely frustrating for me as a player and coach because I've personally learned a gently caress LOAD from watching NHL games, and anybody can. I still learn stuff now, and I've been playing and watching my whole life. I loving love watching NHL defensemen and seeing how they play certain situations and how they position themselves in certain situations and so on.

People who just play and don't watch are really missing out. I bet some of the goons on here who are just starting out and don't have the skating/stickhandling yet are still better positionally and know the game better than the people they are playing with that don't watch hockey. And I've certainly noticed that with kids I've coached. Invariably the ones who play like morons don't watch hockey. The ones that do tend to understand the game much better.

The thing that sucks about watching NHL defensemen is that their success is almost always reliant on the ability to use their bodies. Playing in an adult no-checking league, it is immensely frustrating to watch a dude skate across the blue line with his head down and be forced to make a pokecheck. It's still valuable for positioning though, and everything I know about playing odd-man rushes I learned by watching Nick Lidstrom and other veteran defensemen.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Vigilance posted:

I take those situations as challenges, Lawnie. While like anyone else I prefer to play with good players because winning is fun, I don't mind playing with bad ones either (provided the effort is there). There is something fun for me too about having to step up my game because of weaker players.

Instead of getting mad at weaker players in those situations I try to just put more pressure on myself to up my game, because I know I have to for us to win.

For me it's all about effort. If you give an honest effort I won't be bothered.

This is a good idea. I will do this, since lord knows I need to get much better

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
I have this thing about learning how to play a sport while there are referees, a timekeeper, emotions, poo poo like that. If you want to learn how to play hockey I'd be more than glad to lend any support I can at a stick n shoot, pick-up, scrimmage league, clinics, anything but the one time per week that I actually care about doing better than the other team.

Disclaimer: My rink has a "Lowest level of competition available" but does not have a "Beginners league", so my feelings are fairly universal for this area.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

:3: Hockey Otter :3:

gigabitnokie posted:

I have this thing about learning how to play a sport while there are referees, a timekeeper, emotions, poo poo like that. If you want to learn how to play hockey I'd be more than glad to lend any support I can at a stick n shoot, pick-up, scrimmage league, clinics, anything but the one time per week that I actually care about doing better than the other team.

Disclaimer: My rink has a "Lowest level of competition available" but does not have a "Beginners league", so my feelings are fairly universal for this area.

What do you win though? I feel the same way, but I also check my emotions at the door when it's beer league hockey. It's supposed to be fun, and while winning is always nice, in the end it really gets you nowhere. Except in HNA, if anyone plays in HNA and is going to toronto for the champions tournament, let me know haha.

Really though, I'm on 3 teams and I run one, there is a fine line that people will accept between winning all the time, and losing all the time. And it can't be one or the other, it has to be both.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

also we entered our women's team in one of the adult divisions in Roseville and we've actually won a few games. Weren't expecting it so it's nice. :)

Ohh, you're on that women's team from Vacaville aren't you? I've heard from guys in Silver B that your team is doing really well. I think you guys actually contacted our captain (Auburn Alehouse) for a scrimmage a while back.

you would have murdered us

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 4, 2011

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Nizox posted:

What do you win though? I feel the same way, but I also check my emotions at the door when it's beer league hockey.

This. There are no scouts in the stands. Barry Trotz isn't calling anyone up in case Shea Weber gets a lower body injury in Game 4. This is low-level beer league. Everyone's loving up passes and making bad decisions pretty consistently.

As long as they're doing their best to play hard and get better, shifting hard and working hard, who cares as long as the skill level is even remotely proximate?

Flip side: I've been the worst guy on a B league team. It was frustrating as hell. I'm a decent skater, and most of the guys out there were happy to just be playing. But what absolutely killed the experience for me was the one guy on our team who was a complete douche about it. Chiding me for not making plays, always calling for the puck when it was on my stick because he thought he could make a better play.

Do any of us here really want to be that guy? In some no-name league with nothing on the line except whether or not the guys in the locker room think you're a prick?

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

Dangerllama posted:

Do any of us here really want to be that guy? In some no-name league with nothing on the line except whether or not the guys in the locker room think you're a prick?

I played for a while in the NESHL A division in Boston. Some of those fehkin' chowdaheads' priorities ran like this:

1. Tuesday night beer league
2. Job
3. Family

I like a bit of competition now and again, but I'm apt to have more fun playing with the scrubs or just dicking around on the pond than I do playing with the guys who are livin' the dream.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

I figured that's why the posts showed up here. No one wants to be that guy, but they still gotta vent. Hanging on to that frustration is eventually going to come out in a game, and do no one any good.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Flip side: I've been the worst guy on a B league team. It was frustrating as hell. I'm a decent skater, and most of the guys out there were happy to just be playing. But what absolutely killed the experience for me was the one guy on our team who was a complete douche about it. Chiding me for not making plays, always calling for the puck when it was on my stick because he thought he could make a better play.

A team I was on had this guyt that just WASNT good. He's freaking 68 or something and man, hes old. But his kid (whos 45, and is older than the 68y/o's wife) played with us too.

One day after a bad game one of the guys was just totally a douche and was talking about kicking the dad off the team, infront of his kid.

What the gently caress? I hope when I'm almost 70, I can play beer league with my kid.

That rear end in a top hat didn't get an invite back next season and no one was unhappy about it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dangerllama posted:

This. They're usually not very good players to boot which makes it that much more obnoxious.

If I'm playing a pickup game or something against less skilled players I usually try and make some sort of game like "how many assists can I get on goals scored by guys who are terrible". Everyone wins that way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there a better possible view to have at lunch?

(restaurant at my rink just re-opened, I had a burger and fries after doing my lunch skate)

Few guys were practicing defensive plays, was fun to watch.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

xzzy posted:

Boobs? :smug:

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
So I'm a little late to this party, but hockey is better enjoyed late than never.

How hard is the transition from inline to ice? I started playing inline again about a year ago after taking enough time off to get nice and cherub-like plump, but now I want to expand my horizons.

Also, I've done a bit of research of the rinks in my area but none of them appear to have a stick and puck schedule. Any Philly and/or South/Central Jersey goons care to suggest a quality location where I can make a fool of myself attempting this transition?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

coldwind posted:

Boobs? :smug:

After thinking about it, if I had the choice between boobs and hockey while eating my lunch.. I think I'd opt for the hockey. Nude girls are just too distracting.

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

cenzo posted:

So I'm a little late to this party, but hockey is better enjoyed late than never.

How hard is the transition from inline to ice? I started playing inline again about a year ago after taking enough time off to get nice and cherub-like plump, but now I want to expand my horizons.

Also, I've done a bit of research of the rinks in my area but none of them appear to have a stick and puck schedule. Any Philly and/or South/Central Jersey goons care to suggest a quality location where I can make a fool of myself attempting this transition?

not in the area, but the best place to start is to just go to some open skates and start getting a feeling for the ice.

then look for some learn to play hockey clinics. You may already know how to shoot, pass, etc, but hockey skating has a few ins and outs that is best learned, in my opinion, at a clinic or with a bit of instruction, just to get you started on the right foot... skate.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

Vigilance posted:

Oh god I love those customize tools, I can spend all day playing with that

Dammit, I spent way too much time customizing gloves I will never buy. That little tool is awesome.

http://www.mywarriorhockey.com/

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ohh, you're on that women's team from Vacaville aren't you? I've heard from guys in Silver B that your team is doing really well. I think you guys actually contacted our captain (Auburn Alehouse) for a scrimmage a while back.

you would have murdered us

Haha, yeah, most of us have actually played at Roseville on different teams at different times though, not so much Vacaville except a few tournaments we've done.

Backstory that nobody cares about : there's another women's team that plays out of Roseville - dude who coaches the team carries way too big of a roster, took 4 lines to tournaments and stuff and ran lame, inefficient practices, all at a very high cost per player. So some of the better players from that team decided to make their own team instead about a year and a half ago, and gathered up a bunch of the women who were actually good in the area and we went to the CAHA tournament last year as a trial. Had a hell of a lot of fun, so went to a couple more tournaments and decided if we were gonna get better as a team we would have to play together more regularly so we debated either joining Bronze or Silver B. Individually (on guys' teams) most of us have played Silver A and above, but we figured as a team of women we might be lacking in the physical department a little for Silver A and decided to go Silver B.

I think our captain was asking teams in both Bronze & Silver B to scrimmage to kind of gauge where we should put ourselves back when we first came up with the idea. Silver B seems decent so far, I think! The spread of talent is just so wide in that league, I can't get over it!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's everyone's favorite place to order blank jerseys? Which brands seem to hold up the best?

Now that it's not winter anymore and I'm not wearing my habitual flannel shirt, I go skating in a short sleeved shirt, and it's been a bit chilly.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
what's the general preferred method to hold up socks if you aren't using the compression shorts w/ velcro? Do most people use a garter, or is it faster/easier to just tape them up?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

I think our captain was asking teams in both Bronze & Silver B to scrimmage to kind of gauge where we should put ourselves back when we first came up with the idea. Silver B seems decent so far, I think! The spread of talent is just so wide in that league, I can't get over it!

I think the spread of talent is due to laziness on Derek's part. Bronze league is pretty absurd this year. It seems that every single team in Bronze has a couple Silver A/B ringers that just skate circles around us. We're literally the only team in the league without any ringers, all of us from the learn-to-play class a year ago. It's pretty frustrating. I don't care if we lose most of our games if they're at least somewhat competitive, but it just becomes not fun when you have 2 players playing SHOOTOUT CHALLENGE on your goalie because no one can keep up with them.

Then there's the team we played last Sunday that was literally ALL ringers. They're basically a bunch of sandbagging shitheads and are pissing everyone off in Bronze. They actually played with a Platinum player for a few games until the captains complained enough. Their excuse was that they didn't know he played Platinum. :jerkbag:

I heard a rumor that Sharks Ice were going to set up shop in Rancho Cordova. This would make me ecstatic.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 5, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

robcat posted:

what's the general preferred method to hold up socks if you aren't using the compression shorts w/ velcro? Do most people use a garter, or is it faster/easier to just tape them up?

I forgot my cup a few times and had to take my socks up and it did not work at all.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I heard a rumor that Sharks Ice were going to set up shop in Rancho Cordova. This would make me ecstatic.

You would rather not have Sharks Ice running a rink unless they are taking over a crappy rink.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

You would rather not have Sharks Ice running a rink unless they are taking over a crappy rink.

He's right about the way things are run at Roseville though. From my experience at both rinks, I'd much prefer Sharks Ice management.

Oh yeah, and the team you guys played last Sunday, HZ? If it makes you feel any better we dismantled them in a scrimmage and they got real butthurt about it.

edit: I always use tape to hold up my socks.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 5, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Oh yeah, and the team you guys played last Sunday, HZ? If it makes you feel any better we dismantled them in a scrimmage and they got real butthurt about it.

That makes me feel a lot better, actually. We didn't get a registered shot on goal until halfway through the 2nd, and they were still whining like babies when we got physical at all with them.

It's pretty absurd when their whole team is dropping cannon slappers from the blue line. Yeah dudes, you're bronze league for sure. There's like 3 people on our team who can do a slapshot, even after playing for a year now :v:

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

robcat posted:

clear tape.

works on everything. and is designed to stay snug even with the movement of your legs.

i have velcro on my jock, but even without it. tape around hamstring / quad, your socks wont fall. i also tape my shin guards though because i like them tight.

like your mom.

:dance:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

robcat posted:

I recommend sweatpants, better than socks in every way.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

robcat posted:

General preferred is probably tape.

That said, I don't tape or velcro my socks at all and they stay in place just fine without it.

bewbies posted:

I recommend sweatpants, better than socks in every way.
Bullshit, they don't sell officially licensed Reebok EDGE sweatpants.

To be serious, though, I don't think there's any way I could do sweatpants. With compression, a jock, sweatpants and hockey pants, that's just too many layers. Too many layers. Man, doesn't it get hot? There's no way sweatpants breathe as well as knit socks.

coldwind fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 5, 2011

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

coldwind posted:

General preferred is probably tape.

That said, I don't tape or velcro my socks at all and they stay in place just fine without it.

Bullshit, they don't sell officially licensed Reebok EDGE sweatpants.

To be serious, though, I don't think there's any way I could do sweatpants. With compression, a jock, sweatpants and hockey pants, that's just too many layers. Too many layers. Man, doesn't it get hot? There's no way sweatpants breathe as well as knit socks.

You're also that weird guy out there in sweat pants.

I think the new edge hockey socks, (the compression material) stay up much better than the knit ones and breathe really well. But I have'nt tried them.

few dudes I play with have them and they really like em.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

coldwind posted:

I don't notice any difference at all between socks and sweatpants. It isn't like you're not sweating a ton anyway.

In any case sweatpants are still decisively superior. I can get to the rink 5 minutes before ice time starts and be ready with time to spare. :cool:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

bewbies posted:

I don't notice any difference at all between socks and sweatpants. It isn't like you're not sweating a ton anyway.

In any case sweatpants are still decisively superior. I can get to the rink 5 minutes before ice time starts and be ready with time to spare. :cool:
Sheesh. Speak for yourself. I'm a drat fountain after games.

I guess I just don't see how much time you're saving. It's not like pulling up two separate socks is so much more time consuming than one pair of sweatpants. Plus, I like to tighten my skates without shinpads in the way, and I'm not sure I'd be able to do that with sweatpants.

BTW, does anybody still have that picture that one guy drew to teach his wife how to dress his kid for hockey?

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

(restaurant at my rink just re-opened, I had a burger and fries after doing my lunch skate)

Few guys were practicing defensive plays, was fun to watch.

I present to you my beer league arena.

The middle part is a rotunda that has viewing for all four rinks with a full service restaurant with beers. Oh yeah, there are also 8 more rinks down the hallway not shown, and 4 more being built right now. The US National Women's team uses the A league beer teams as practice which is pretty drat cool in-itself.

This isn't even the only arena in the town. Sometimes Minnesota can be awesome. Sometimes..

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

zinc68 posted:

The middle part is a rotunda that has viewing for all four rinks with a full service restaurant with beers. Oh yeah, there are also 8 more rinks down the hallway not shown, and 4 more being built right now. The US National Women's team uses the A league beer teams as practice which is pretty drat cool in-itself.

This isn't even the only arena in the town. Sometimes Minnesota can be awesome. Sometimes..

That right there is as many ice sheets as are within like, 150 miles of Nashville :(

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

zinc68 posted:

16 sheet ice rink? Holy crap.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
It's vaguely comforting that the superrink open hockey schedule is just as lovely and inconvenient as my local rinks http://www.nscsports.org/facilities/superrink/pdf/sr_open_sched.pdf

Nizox
Aug 5, 2004

zinc68 posted:

Sells beer.... Zheesh, we always have some random rear end in a top hat in random places yelling at us for having beer.

Some places are cool and some arent because they're "park" property. Sometimes, the rear end in a top hat at the rink just wants to be a douche. And sometimes, some park cop feels that the park parking lot isn't an OK place to drink beer.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I hate that the local rink here in Orlando is owned by a crazy Christian so we can't have beer at the snack-bar or in the locker rooms.

It's ok we get even by drinking in the parking lot

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's not a beer league unless you're drinking on the bench :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Sharks Ice gives the winning team a coupon for Buy 2, get 1 free pitchers. Sometimes we share with the opposing team if they were cool.