Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

InterceptorV8 posted:

That reminds me of the "I WANT TO BELIEVE" posters.

It looks like it should be floating along and making a MiMiMiMiMi noise, Jetsons style, doesn't it?

Pointless, Terrible-rear end photoshop incoming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

pienipple posted:

They may have done it but it's quite illegal.

On the other hand, it's not illegal to inform the police about a vehicle in seriously citable condition. Just kind of a dick move, depending on circumstances.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Splizwarf posted:

On the other hand, it's not illegal to inform the police about a vehicle in seriously citable condition. Just kind of a dick move, depending on circumstances.
If you live in a city where the cops have so much time to kill that they will come down to your garage and sit by the parking lot until the owner comes in to take his car away, then I'm kind of astonished. With the possible exception of "Podunk, Arkansas, population 150", I don't think you'll get a swift police response for calling in a guy driving a ticketable car.

Either way, the "You know, legally I can't let you drive that car out of here like this, which means you can pay to have it towed somewhere else to have the work done, or you could just pay us and get your car back" scam is older than time.

Revolvyerom fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 4, 2011

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Revolvyerom posted:

If you live in a city where the cops have so much time to kill that they will come down to your garage and sit by the parking lot until the owner comes in to take his car away, then I'm kind of astonished. With the possible exception of "Podunk, Arkansas, population 150", I don't think you'll get a swift police response for calling in a guy driving a ticketable car.

Either way, the "You know, legally I can't let you drive that car out of here like this, which means you can pay to have it towed somewhere else to have the work done, or you could just pay us and get your car back" scam is older than time.

Counterpoint: In Arkansas (like much of the south) if your car does what could be vaguely construed as "drive down the road" it's legal! :haw:

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Previa_fun posted:

Counterpoint: In Arkansas (like much of the south) if your car does what could be vaguely construed as "drive down the road" it's legal! :haw:

I got my car inspected a few days ago here in a rural county in North Carolina.

The inspection literally consisted of:
"Turn on your headlights. Now high beams. Left turn signal... now the other one."
Then the guy walked behind the car.
"Brakes. Left turn signal. Now the other one."

Passed.

And it still cost 13 freakin' dollars.

It just occurred to me while writing this post that apparently it doesn't even matter if my wipers work.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

ApathyGifted posted:

I got my car inspected a few days ago here in a rural county in North Carolina.

The inspection literally consisted of:
"Turn on your headlights. Now high beams. Left turn signal... now the other one."
Then the guy walked behind the car.
"Brakes. Left turn signal. Now the other one."

Passed.

And it still cost 13 freakin' dollars.

It just occurred to me while writing this post that apparently it doesn't even matter if my wipers work.

I have never had to have a vehicle undergo a state inspection. :banjo:

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
NH inspections are brutal. Rust holes just about anywhere will fail you (though you can pass by covering them with duct tape). We also don't have mandatory insurance, so that may have something to do with it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Revolvyerom posted:

Sounds like your police have all the money they need. A ticketable car is money for the budget. Ours will not only do this, but do it in pairs, running a speed trap in front of the shop where they alternate who pulls people over and who waits with the car. The owner can get it towed to any shop he wants but he's not driving it away.

A lot of public services in Virginia are funded by property taxes (revealed post-housing bubble as a shockingly bad idea), like the schools and municipal services, which means the more money the police can bring in, the less likely they are to get fired at the end of the quarter. Our local schools aren't hiring anyone new and have fired everyone hired in the last 5 years.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 4, 2011

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

ApathyGifted posted:

They always ding me for wipers when they offer them for sale. I've never seen them turn the wipers on, just inspect the blades.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Sounds like your police have all the money they need. A ticketable car is money for the budget.
It's a matter of time, not the money from the ticket. They're very likely either a) busy, or b) literally have more important things to do than a moving violation across town they'd have to haul rear end to make it to, and probably are a hair less petty than a shady mechanic.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Previa_fun posted:

I have never had to have a vehicle undergo a state inspection. :banjo:

Nor have I - but every year it costs over $600 here in California. It's pretty clear what's important to them.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Das Volk posted:

Nor have I - but every year it costs over $600 here in California. It's pretty clear what's important to them.

New York's got ya beat, my brother had to drop out of grad school for a semester*, spend $500 and four months to get a hold issued by NY taken off his GA license so he could get it renewed. Apparently he had a speeding ticket he didn't pay some 5 or 6 years ago and NY was holding a grudge. It took that long because each time he'd get a hold lifted they'd find out there was another hold, nobody could ever tell him if this hold was the last one so he'd have to try to renew his license at the DMV every time to check.

* - He lived way off campus and couldn't get to school without his license.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Revolvyerom posted:

It's a matter of time, not the money from the ticket. They're very likely either a) busy, or b) literally have more important things to do than a moving violation across town they'd have to haul rear end to make it to, and probably are a hair less petty than a shady mechanic.

Which is why they fill time with speeding tickets. It's hard to find anyplace in VA where people don't speed, so one place is as good as any other to set up shop. And by shady mechanic we mean in this particular case Pep Boys. So v:v:v

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Splizwarf posted:

Which is why they fill time with speeding tickets. It's hard to find anyplace in VA where people don't speed, so one place is as good as any other to set up shop. And by shady mechanic we mean in this particular case Pep Boys. So v:v:v

yea not to mention that NOVA has some of the highest Police per capita ratios in the entire country.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Dave Inc. posted:

New York's got ya beat, my brother had to drop out of grad school for a semester*, spend $500 and four months to get a hold issued by NY taken off his GA license so he could get it renewed. Apparently he had a speeding ticket he didn't pay some 5 or 6 years ago and NY was holding a grudge. It took that long because each time he'd get a hold lifted they'd find out there was another hold, nobody could ever tell him if this hold was the last one so he'd have to try to renew his license at the DMV every time to check.

* - He lived way off campus and couldn't get to school without his license.

I had a friend get arrested and put into booking recently for driving in NY with an 5 year old unpaid speeding ticket.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Isn't that one of the states that runs radar-detector-detectors to ticket you on the off chance you might be inclined to speed with a radar detector in your car?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Also one of the states that charges you annually (up to a limit of something like $600) when you have points on your license...

Actually, Virginia is so traffic ticket obsessed that I was shocked when I wasn't cited for hitting a deer there two years ago.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 4, 2011

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

InterceptorV8 posted:

That reminds me of the "I WANT TO BELIEVE" posters.

Vanagoon posted:

It looks like it should be floating along and making a MiMiMiMiMi noise, Jetsons style, doesn't it?

Pointless, Terrible-rear end photoshop incoming:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Geoj posted:

Sweep the floor until the line is running again. Never worked in a shop setting with a sadistic manager?

Yep, if there's time to lean, there's time to clean.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

monkeytennis posted:

The good thing with a night shift is that as long as the teamleader's reasonable, it's pretty slack without anyone trying to look like they're important breathing down your neck.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

monkeytennis posted:

During slow times at my old job I made myself so useful cleaning, maintaining, and rebuilding equipment that when it came time to cut a guy, it wasn't me.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

B4Ctom1 posted:

Ok, you win. I am not much use with Photoshop.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
One too many 7sec passes on your stock bottom end 2JZ...

quote:

Bit of detonation was obviously enough to fracture the caps and the rest is history.

The block is in 2, the sump came off after removing one bolt. All the caps and block they are attached to are gone bar number 7 cap. The crank is in half, number 2 piston got pulled down through the counter weight of the next piece of the crank so its stuffed, no 1 rod is bent due to the front crank piece dragging it forward in the cylinder. Its a mess really, so many pieces everywhere, the pic below only shows a few.

No grout fill, the block is only in a million pieces thanks to the front half of the crank snapping off and doing some laps down there un restrained

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Wow...I'm kind of at a loss for words. I don't think I've ever seen an engine block that was utterly destroyed like someone put a bomb on it.

Any idea if the head was reusable?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

What do you do once you reach that stage with a 2JZ? Isnt the next step a 1FZ block?

I think my mates car is still not happy... This is the motor those dead bearings came out of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGkEmYbs6Lk

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Head was untouched, his plan is to get a new engine and build basically to the same spec, except this time with billet main caps...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ROFLBOT posted:

That is truly a thing of beauty.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
First one from work isnt so bad, I'm pretty sure there's some needle bearings in here somewhere.

Second one, customer stated "I think I hit a rock." :iamafag:

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
That tierod held on for dear life.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
Poor brakeline too.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That had to make a lovely sound.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

I helped a friend replace his clutch a few weeks ago (and whined about it somewhere else on here). One of the things that stood out to me was what was left of his old clutch fluid after god knows how many years...

This stuff was green in color and basically gelatinous. It didn't run under the force of gravity. As we both said - no goddamn wonder pushing on the pedal wasn't doing anything anymore.

I don't know if that's so much a mechanical failure, but this seems like the best place for it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Forgot to add this one to the other post, not so much horrible in what failed, more a package deal. Heater core on a Toyota Previa.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Forgot to add this one to the other post, not so much horrible in what failed, more a package deal. Heater core on a Toyota Previa.

I know heater cores are generally a bitch, but Jesus. Would NOT want to do that job. Or get charged for it. :signings:

Valkyn
Jun 6, 2004

Have you seen this camwhore before?

ROFLBOT posted:

Is that 7 second 1/8 mile passes?

What kind of HP is that thing making?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

I'll cap the coolant lines and wear a jacket thank you very much.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Don't you pretty much have to do the same thing to change the front struts?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Holy hell, it sure looks like it.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Billy Tully posted:

Don't you pretty much have to do the same thing to change the front struts?

Oh drat, I thought removing some interior panels to replace my rear shocks was bad. Pretty much any time "remove dash from vehicle" is step 1, you're looking at a bad day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ROFLBOT posted:

I'm looking at that at first and I'm thinking "nice turbo," nothing wrong there.
Then my eyes move down and "nice connecting rods" :stare: