Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I'm failing to see how Grantland is anything other than a revamped Page 2 but with Simmons in editorial control. In fact links to Page 2 are getting more and more scarce on the ESPN main page, which makes me wonder if they'll phase it out completely as Grantland gets in gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

hcreight posted:

I'm failing to see how Grantland is anything other than a revamped Page 2 but with Simmons in editorial control. In fact links to Page 2 are getting more and more scarce on the ESPN main page, which makes me wonder if they'll phase it out completely as Grantland gets in gear.

Page 2 tried to be funnier and more quirky and badly failed in most instances while Grantland appears to be more of a throwback to the time when sports writing existed in essay form and personal opinions/experiences/views were called in to play. It has a niche carved out between E-Ticket features (more strictly reporting ventures) and regular features on the ESPN website.

That said, I couldn't get more than halfway through the Knicks' piece because I can't stand to read about them, and I hope their content doesn't become romanticizing over the few teams with mainstream identities.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Page 2 tried to be funnier and more quirky and badly failed in most instances while Grantland appears to be more of a throwback to the time when sports writing existed in essay form and personal opinions/experiences/views were called in to play. It has a niche carved out between E-Ticket features (more strictly reporting ventures) and regular features on the ESPN website.

That said, I couldn't get more than halfway through the Knicks' piece because I can't stand to read about them, and I hope their content doesn't become romanticizing over the few teams with mainstream identities.

Yeah, I like that kind of long-form writing, but Katie Baker's piece didn't hook me. And I don't think I've ever said this before, but the summer-movie preview was probably better suited for one of those dumb slideshow articles.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
That summer preview article was one of the worst things I've read in a while, even considering the vein it was produced in.

My over under on Grantland folding is 8 months.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Seriously, did they need to do every single movie being released this summer?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Halal to the Chief posted:

That summer preview article was one of the worst things I've read in a while, even considering the vein it was produced in.

My over under on Grantland folding is 8 months.

Simmons' fanbase alone will probably make it fairly successful, especially if they link to it on the front page of ESPN for awhile. I'm not a huge fan, but he's almost certainly the most popular sports writer working right now.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

MorningView posted:

Simmons' fanbase alone will probably make it fairly successful, especially if they link to it on the front page of ESPN for awhile. I'm not a huge fan, but he's almost certainly the most popular sports writer working right now.

I agree with Simmons' popularity, but considering the number of writers they are talking about using, it will get expensive quick. If it doesn't get the hits (which no article except for ones featuring Simmons or Klosterman will) the plug is likely to get pulled. Disney is super tightfisted when it comes to stuff like this.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
My old college professor, Lynn Hoppes, took over Page2 a couple of years ago and it's slowly died under him. It gets almost no front-page coverage outside of TMQ anymore.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Simmons and Klosterman will probably get enough hits to make up for everyone else initially (and some of the other guys like Barnwell are coming in with their own established readership too), and I'm sure plenty of people will start checking out the other writers just because of their association with the site and Simmons. I don't know if it will actually be good, but I would bet that a lot of people will at least visit the site on a regular basis. If some people aren't generating hits, then they can cut some of that dead weight down the road, but it doesn't mean they'll shut down the whole site.

Also I think they're going to give it quite a bit of time to sink or swim just because it seems like a huge deal to Simmons and they don't want to risk pissing him off and losing him, which I could see happening considering how thin skinned he is.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

True, Simmons is a gigantic baby and draws a lot of water.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Simmons is kind of a douche, and his shtick has gotten stale for me personally, but I don't get why people are being overly pessimistic about Grantland. The previews have just been so-so, but there's some legitimate talent being brought in. A regular forum for long-form, feature-style sportswriting seems like a nice step for ESPN. Just like E-Ticket, it'll probably be hit or miss, but at least it's an attempt to break out of their normal rut.

People were more than eager to poo poo on 30 For 30 before that came out, too, and it produced some pretty stellar hours of television.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
I'm not going to prejudge the site. I am generally all for long-form journalism (New or otherwise) without regard to genre provided that you have something interesting to say because otherwise it's unreadable florid bullshit. It'll be a step in the right direction for sports journalism provided that the writers are talented (and I'm not familiar with all of them). The Katie Baker piece isn't that bad, it's just not that good and the prose a little excessive and the last thing I want to read is material by writers that think they're more Norman Mailer than Dick Schaap. Not saying that this will be the case. My position is that sports are somewhat low-brow (sorry if that offends) and adding a Harper's-level layer of pretension to sports writing could very well lead to Grantland being unenjoyable for me personally.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Why is Simmons so popular? Is it a Boston thing?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

It's definitely not. I know plenty of people who like him even though they don't care about Boston sports. I think it's mostly because he hit on a type of sportswriting that seemed really fresh and new at the time. He's grown increasingly stale, but when he started out his style of writing genuinely was pretty different for what was being done (especially because it was before the explosion of sports blogs and guys trying to write like Simmons). He wrote purely from the perspective of a fan, tended to frame sports in terms of what they meant to him personally, mixed in tons of pop culture reference (which I think tend to be mostly awkward and unfunny, but it was unique and lots of people like it), and tried to be funny. For lot of people I think it was like what would happen if one of their friends got a national sports column, and there was something appealing about that.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

MorningView posted:

For lot of people I think it was like what would happen if one of their friends got a national sports column, and there was something appealing about that.

Exactly this. People see Simmons as someone literally writing to them, as though in a letter or an e-mail.

It's almost like Simmons has woken up to the power he now holds in the past several years, and he has two books, a critically successful documentary project and a new sportswriting project on top of that. It's commendable, really.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

MorningView posted:

It's definitely not. I know plenty of people who like him even though they don't care about Boston sports. I think it's mostly because he hit on a type of sportswriting that seemed really fresh and new at the time.

This is pretty much it. He nailed the "common man" writing perfectly, before blogging was really a huge thing, and he had the excess Boston baggage to add the sports-fan-as-torture angle. 2001, man! A long drat time ago.

Since then, his favorite teams have won like seven championships and what once was cute pop culture sadomasochism is now a really rich dude that is a fan of successful sports teams making Entourage references and talking about his friend Jimmy Kimmel.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

I hate all the teams he likes except for the Patriots and I like him. I don't really read his columns that much though, I just like the BS Report.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play
That Simmons article comparing the NBA playoffs to The Wire has got to be his worse poo poo yet.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I don't know, it reminded me that I hadn't watched The Wire in a real long time so now I'm re-watching it as I study. So that's something.

Man-In-Madden
Jul 22, 2007

And when the music fades away
I know I'll be okay
Contagious rhythms in my brain
Let it play
When you get to season 4 where the kids are coming to terms of how hosed up their life in the neighborhood is cause of all the death around them, remember to picture Zach Randolph dunking over Tim Duncan.

*watches Wallace start crying, pissing himself and then being shot by his best friends*
"Melo......"

Man-In-Madden fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 3, 2011

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Simmons isn't bad and I really love good long-form journalism but there's probably not a writer that they could get that could outdo Posnanski and Smith for SI unless they dredge up John Updike and tell him to write purely sports articles, so I'll probably go to the SI Vault or Joe's blog more.

That said, I hope it does well enough to continue because that preview article is probably in the 90th percentile of sports journalism, as sad as that is.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Man-In-Madden posted:

That Simmons article comparing the NBA playoffs to The Wire has got to be his worse poo poo yet.

i dunno, i thought that was pretty drat good and is one of the main reasons why i read Simmons.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
Just gonna go ahead and cross-post this from the N/V thread

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110503&content_id=18575184&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Ugh when did MLB hire Terrence Moore :(

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

So Gehrig is a confirmed pixie dust user? Explains the steep drop off when MLB started testing now doesn't it? :smug:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

AlleyViper posted:

Just gonna go ahead and cross-post this from the N/V thread

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110503&content_id=18575184&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Ah back to the old "A Rod only hits dingers when it doesn't matter" fallacy.

I wonder how many of Barry Bonds' home runs won World Series. Hint, none.

By the way the grand slam isn't some mythical mark to set when Travis Hafner has 11 or 12 of them.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Man-In-Madden posted:

Agreed, though mostly because I haven't watched the wire and am looking forward to doing so.

An article based entirely off spoilers. gently caress you Simmons.

Yes I bitched about this in the NBA thread already.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Agreed, though mostly because I haven't watched the wire and am looking forward to doing so.

An article based entirely off spoilers. gently caress you Simmons.

Yes I bitched about this in the NBA thread already.

The series finale was three years ago. How long does someone have to wait before referencing major events from a series after it's off the air?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
While I'm sure it is a true struggle to not read Bill Simmons, it's not like he's not telling you upfront what the article is. Plus, yeah, at some point the statute of limitations on spoilers has to run. Do you get mad when people talk about how Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's dad too?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

MorningView posted:

While I'm sure it is a true struggle to not read Bill Simmons, it's not like he's not telling you upfront what the article is. Plus, yeah, at some point the statute of limitations on spoilers has to run. Do you get mad when people talk about how Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's dad too?

Yeah, my point is more that I want to read the article, because I normally enjoy is basketball pieces (not so much recently though) but can't because it's filled with spoilers.

And comparing Star Wars and a show that is still pretty obscure to most of the population is dumb.

edit: Though since it's obscure it's dumb to argue that too.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, my point is more that I want to read the article, because I normally enjoy is basketball pieces (not so much recently though) but can't because it's filled with spoilers.

And comparing Star Wars and a show that is still pretty obscure to most of the population is dumb.

edit: Though since it's obscure it's dumb to argue that too.

Bah, ignore me, I had a bad day and am cranky and saying dumb things, sorry.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Bah, ignore me, I had a bad day and am cranky and saying dumb things, sorry.

considering how popular The Wire is on SA, i was wondering if someone was actually going to complain about the spoilers in that article.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is there like a sub-genre of "let's compare things from The Wire to this set of things" articles on the internet because I've read a ton

I particularly liked the one about comparing characters from The Wire to beer (Prez is Newcastle)

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Fag Boy Jim posted:

is there like a sub-genre of "let's compare things from The Wire to this set of things" articles on the internet because I've read a ton

I particularly liked the one about comparing characters from The Wire to beer (Prez is Newcastle)

Hahaha link this please tia

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Hahaha link this please tia

Here
http://tinyurl.com/3katf58

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Here
http://tinyurl.com/3katf58

Fantastic, thanks again. Audibly laughing at many of these.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Yeah this Wire::Beer article is awesome.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.
I had the unfortunate experience of coming across this Steve Rushin piece today. He really gets paid to write this stuff?

Steve Rushin posted:

Nearly all of those guys we remember playing into senility -- Gaylord Perry, Warren Spahn, Rickey Henderson, Tony Perez -- were 44 when they retired.
Hmm, yes. Indeed, 44 is a magical number. And did you know Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy, and Kennedy's secretary was named Lincoln? :eek:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I haven't heard of this writer/blogger before, Paul Liebowitz, but he publishes an annual MLB guide and seems to be fairly prolific blogger. In any event, he's just flat out tired of "stat people" and MLB organizations being so darn mean to players.

On a tweet from Rob Neyer about Jeter's performance so far this season:

quote:

There’s a meanness that emanates from some stat people like Neyer and Keith Law that’s off-putting; perhaps it’s from never having played the game of baseball; perhaps it’s a bitterness that comes from writing about an activity and longing so desperately to have their way seen as correct; or maybe they’re just obnoxious jerks.

But what’s the point of such short-sighted cruelty—without a solution—based on one month for a player who has been one of the best and most consistent players in baseball since 1996 and has played clean?

If Neyer came up with an answer of what to do with Jeter and backed it up with calm, cool reasoning—even if I disagreed with it (and I would; there’s nothing the Yankees can do with Jeter apart from letting him play and hoping this is a slump and not a Wile E. Coyote like plummet off the mountain)—then fine; instead, we get this nonsense.

I would dearly love for these writers, bolstered by their perceived untouchability stemming from being on the internet (internet muscularity and courage) to have to confront the player against whom they utter this idiocy.

And from a few days ago, an article about how the Rangers have the audacity to put the best interests of the organization and winning ballgames as priorities over making Michael Young and Neftali Feliz "happy":

quote:

Rangers closer Neftali Feliz, currently on the disabled list with a sore shoulder, has stated his desire to be a closer for the rest of his career.

Um. Okay.

This is all well and good and Feliz’s desires might have an influence on other clubs around baseball that take the player’s feelings into consideration, but the Rangers are not among them.

All Feliz need do is to look toward the de facto captain of the team, Michael Young, and see how cold, ruthless and devoid of sentimentality the Rangers have been when they felt they needed to do something different to make the team better.

It’s about the Rangers and the way they conduct business.

They don’t care what the players think. They do what needs to be done for the best interests of the organization and if that means telling a player where he’s going to be utilized against his wishes, so be it.

If the Rangers make the decision to start him, it will be done irrespective of Feliz’s wishes. For the good of the player and the team, it has to be made, period; no messing around with the option of going back to the bullpen—one or the other.

But if Feliz thinks he’s going to have any say in the matter, he’d better go talk to Young.

The leader of the Rangers players will straighten him out quick. As will the leaders of the Rangers organization. Young with his words of wisdom; the front office with their actions.

Feliz is going to pitch when they tell him he’s going to pitch; and that’s simply how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

quote:

I would dearly love for these writers, bolstered by their perceived untouchability stemming from being on the internet (internet muscularity and courage) to have to confront the player against whom they utter this idiocy.

I too would love to see sportswriters tell Jeter to his face that he's washed up and should be benched. If only to watch the frantic efforts of the media to give a positive spin to him responding like a selfish baby, as he has for his whole career.