Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
That's awesome. I'm so excited to finally see Zero For Conduct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

I was one of the winners in the Facebook contest. I didn't get any likes and it was buried pretty quickly in the mess of entries. Did anyone else here win?

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc
I didn't wiiiiin :cry:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

I was one of the winners in the Facebook contest. I didn't get any likes and it was buried pretty quickly in the mess of entries. Did anyone else here win?

What was your post? I want to hate you for it

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I'm one of those people that has never ever won a contest in anything. I loathe you. :(

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What was your post? I want to hate you for it

My Essential Criterion: Richard Linklater's Slacker, the movie that made a generation of young filmmakers realize that they could make movies.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Did anyone get the new Fat Girl bluray? I thought it was a pretty good movie but maybe a little uncomfortable. Probably not something I'd think I needed to spend 30 dollars on.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It probably means nothing, but Criterion's put up two posts on Facebook about Citizen Kane.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It probably means nothing, but Criterion's put up two posts on Facebook about Citizen Kane.

If the clues do mean anything, then they certainly aren't for Citizen Kane itself. WB does not license titles often/ever (there are rumors of a deal between Criterion and WB, but it is very unclear and would certainly be for niche titles), and never an evergreen like Citizen Kane. And, they have their own super duper deluxe giftbox DVD / BD planned for Citizen Kane this fall.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Me and Orson Welles maybe? They do have a relationship with Linklater.

That said, I haven't read the original posts so I don't know if it would fit.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's the 70th anniversary of CK, I think that's all there is to it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I know it's nothing, but I really want it to be.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Warner does a great job with their classic titles so there'd be no real advantage to having Criterion release it anyway. Still waiting for them to get off their asses and release The Magnificent Ambersons, though.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Not to mention The Devils

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'm really just hoping for a good The Trial at some point.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'm really just hoping for a good The Trial at some point.

You and me both. :(:hf::( Not to mention Chimes at Midnight.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Trial is owned by StudioCanal (along with the rest of the Salkinds library, so don't expect a Criterion any time soon.

Lionsgate hasn't even ported over most of the UK/France SC titles that they have US rights to, so who knows if it ever comes out? I'd only expect a public domain release like The Stranger with "acceptable" video quality.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Egbert Souse posted:

The Trial is owned by StudioCanal (along with the rest of the Salkinds library, so don't expect a Criterion any time soon.

Wasn't there a good Milestone DVD forever ago/long out-of-print?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I just finished the Kaurismaki Eclipse set after borrowing it from the library, and really loved it. I saw 'Leningrad Cowboys Go America' several years ago on a VHS tape a friend from college had, but it seems like finding anything else he's done is kind of a pain. Why is this? I'd think he'd have a pretty decent following in the U.S.-- his humor is sort of sympathetic to the Wes Anderson/Jim Jarmusch deadpan style that tons of people enjoy.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Finally got around to catching Sweet Smell of Success, and God drat what a movie. Wish I had a copy of the script!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

I've got it... I wouldn't call it "good" but it's decent. I would love a Blu-Ray release with some nice supplements.

Archyduke posted:

I just finished the Kaurismaki Eclipse set after borrowing it from the library, and really loved it. I saw 'Leningrad Cowboys Go America' several years ago on a VHS tape a friend from college had, but it seems like finding anything else he's done is kind of a pain. Why is this?

I dunno, I'm sure it's some kind of distribution rights thing. I've managed to see most of his films, but it hasn't been easy. There are DVDs of The Man Without a Past and Total Balalaika Show. The latter is a pretty crappy release, but worth it if you love Leningrad Cowboys.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I believe the Man Without a Past is OOP, too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

It's the best of the PD editions and at least uncut. The UK disc apparently is missing the prologue, despite great a/v quality.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Is Sweet Smell Of Success worth a blind-buy? I've got enough extra cash right now to grab a Criterion while Amazon's got their sale going and it seems to be a hot item. I just can't decide between it, Le Cercle Rouge, and Broadcast News.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Yes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Is Sweet Smell Of Success worth a blind-buy?

Yes, yes, and gently caress yes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Absolutely yes.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Anyone have any comments on the Basil Dearden eclipse set? I'll probably buy it anyway at 5.75 a movie but it'd be nice to see opinions on it. I already bought the Naruse set because I hope if it does well Criterion will release more silents.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Anyone have any comments on the Basil Dearden eclipse set? I'll probably buy it anyway at 5.75 a movie but it'd be nice to see opinions on it. I already bought the Naruse set because I hope if it does well Criterion will release more silents.

I've only seen 'League of Gentlemen' but it's very good. I'm kind of surprised they put it in an Eclipse set, but in any case it's worth $20 by itself, in my opinion.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I spent way more money on the Amazon sale than I should have, but I'm happier than a pig in poo poo about the killer haul I got. The first batch came in today and the rest will arrive at a later date...

175: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
490: Wings of Desire
552: Broadcast News
555: Sweet Smell of Success
560: White Material
562: Blow Out

All blus. Fear and Loathing doesn't have the same cool packaging as the DVD version, what with its transparent blisterpack cover, but I'm not gonna complain. I'm still happy. :)

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I've enjoyed all of them immensely. I actually expected Sapphire to be a bit of a chore, with it being a procedural and all, but I think it's one of the best in the set. Buy away.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Solaris looks like a pretty awesome upgrade: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare5/solaris.htm

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Not Criterion, but it's coming in Blu anyway: http://www.amazon.com/Exclusive-Anniversary-Collectors-Magnificent-Ambersons/dp/B001PIHH5M/

quote:

Bonus Disc: The Magnificent Ambersons (DVD)
Bonus Disc: RKO 281 (DVD)
Bonus Disc: American Experience: The Battle Over Citizen Kane (DVD)
Commentary by Peter Bogdanovich
Commentary by Roger Ebert
The Battle Over Citizen Kane Documentary
Opening: World Premier of Citizen Kane Vintage Featurettes
Interview with Ruth Warrick
Interview with Robert Wise
Storyboards
Call Sheets
Still Photography with Commentary by Roger Ebert
Deleted Scenes
Ad Campaign
Press Book
Opening Night
10/30/38 Mercury Theatre Broadcast of War of the Worlds (Audio Only)
10/28/40 KTSA, San Antonio Broadcast of H.G. Wells Meets Orson Welles (Audio Only)
Theatrical Trailer
*Note: Special Features are on DVD format

Ridley327
Feb 9, 2009
Magnificent Ambersons being relegated to a DVD-only bonus feature for Citizen Kane is, quite frankly, the biggest load of loving poo poo ever. What the hell is going on at Warner?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
It's too bad they couldn't stick Pauline Kael's essay on Kane in there, too.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Announcements today. The Vigo set and Cul-de-sac appear to be givens, and I just saw this at cf.org:

quote:

Criterion Cast is tweeting hints at Secret Sunshine and what I assume is a Koreyoshi Kurahara Eclipse set (definitely including Intimidation).

The only Kurahara I've seen is I Am Waiting from the Nikkatsu set, I'd like to see more. I believe Secret Sunshine would be their first Korean film.

APatheticPoster
Oct 10, 2007

The Complete Jean Vigo
The Killing
Orpheus
The Battle of Algiers
If...
Cul-de-sac
Secret Sunshine
Eclipse 28: Kurahara

APatheticPoster fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 16, 2011

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

APatheticPoster posted:

The Killing

Also includes Killer's Kiss.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bmmello posted:

Also includes Killer's Kiss.

I wonder if it is also in HD on the Blu-Ray edition. I remembering watching Killer's Kiss on MGM HD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I just knew if I went to lunch, they'd post the new titles while I was gone.

Vigo - Hmm. I really like L'Atalante and Zero (haven't seen Nice yet), but not sure if I like them enough to buy them. Will probably buy it just because it's getting increasingly difficult to rent Criterion Blu-Rays, but may eBay it later. Nice batch of extras.

The Killing - No-brainer buy to replace the DVD. Don't really care about Killer's Kiss, but I guess I'd give it a second look.

Orpheus - Meh. Not a big fan of any Cocteau except Belle.

Battle of Algiers - Great movie, but not one I feel a need to own.

If and Cul-de-sac - Not wild about either of these.

Secret Sunshine - Rental (if possible). Only Lee Chang-dong film I've seen is Oasis, and I didn't care much for it. Nice to see them add another country to the collection, though.

Kurahara - Sounds intriguing, might even blind-buy it.

Stacked month, but not much that interests me.