Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yurpdod
May 31, 2003

Hana Dammit posted:

I ended up using super plush and lovely velvet for the first time ever and it was both terrifying and exciting. Like cutting really expensive magic water. I made a bomb rear end green romper and a silver lamme and black spandex leotard, all layered like and stuff. My roller girl was amazing. We won crowd and judges favorite! 2/4 so far!

That romper fit her PERFECTLY. It was magic and luck. gently caress you, velvet. I win.

Last week I also made a zillion pairs of gold booty shorts for a friend's burlesque troop:

Yes. Glorious. Much thanks tiny rear end'd but male roommates for trying out my test pairs while I was perfecting the pattern.

This weeks PS challenge was to create something using non traditional materials, and I was inspired by Laura Palmer so tonight I made a dress out of plastic wrap, glitter, and packing tape. Think Miss Twin Peaks' dress made out of the bag Laura was found in with glitter instead of gravel. Pictures will come after Friday.

Ooh! Can you post how you made the gold booty shorts? I've always wanted to make a pair. I really want to dress up as Rocky from the Rocky Horror Show sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yurpdod
May 31, 2003

So today I finished about 2/3 of the bodice of a dress! It's nothing special but I'm very excited. The black part looks weird but it'll really come together when I'm done with the entire dress. Here are some pics:

Also, I managed to score a late 90s Brother serger off Craigslist for only $75. It's in really good condition and works like a charm. I even learned how to thread it!

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

My first sewing project!!!! I made a lot of mistakes but learned from them. Can't wait to make more clothes!

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I love that Apron! I want to make one for myself now.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Yurpdod posted:

Looking at that cabinet I hope you are working in a theater and not cosplaying..

Yurpdod
May 31, 2003

Cross_ posted:

Looking at that cabinet I hope you are working in a theater and not cosplaying..
Haha yes, I work in the costume shop of a theater. We're doing the Sound of Music right now, hence the Nazi swastikas.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

Ms. Happiness posted:

My first sewing project!!!! I made a lot of mistakes but learned from them. Can't wait to make more clothes!

Your apron is super cute! I have been working on a few costumes but the serger I got as a hand me down is having some tension issues. But with no manual I have no clue how to properly adjust the thing I may be doing it wrong. =/

rockatilly
Jan 2, 2011
Hey there.
This is my first post ever in a thread, but I feel it necessary. I've been lurking in this thread for a while, and feel ready to ask!

I need help on identifying what kind of sewing machine this is. My boyfriend and I picked it up at my step-dad's auction for $1. This woman had a LOT of collectibles, including crystal and plates and silver dishes, and tons of fine furniture.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Ms. Happiness posted:

I made an apron too! Needed a wipe clean one and found a PVC offcut in the bin at John Lewis for £5. Turns out PVC is a bitch to sew because it clings to the plastic surface of my sewing machine, doesn't grip on the feed-dogs and is so heavy that it just generally gets dragged around. On the upside, it doesn't fray

Apologies for the poo poo pic, I think my camera might be dying.

Bolivia_is_Good
Jul 7, 2007

rockatilly posted:

Hey there.
This is my first post ever in a thread, but I feel it necessary. I've been lurking in this thread for a while, and feel ready to ask!

I need help on identifying what kind of sewing machine this is. My boyfriend and I picked it up at my step-dad's auction for $1. This woman had a LOT of collectibles, including crystal and plates and silver dishes, and tons of fine furniture.

My grandmother bought me a sewing machine from the habitat for humanity thrift store that also had the "dial n sew" logo on it. Mine isn't as curvy as yours (but it's an awesome baby blue color) but it looks just as old.

My grandmother's friend was really interested to know where it came from since it didn't have a company name on it and did some internet research. She found out that my machine was actually made to be sold to individual shop owners who were allowed to put their own logo on it and sell it/market it as if it was their own unique brand of sewing machine.

I wouldn't know for sure if your machine was also one those, but since it doesn't have any kind of company name on it and it has the same "dial n sew" plate, it seems likely. Where's a sewing machine history expert when you need one?

rockatilly
Jan 2, 2011

Bolivia_is_Good posted:

My grandmother bought me a sewing machine from the habitat for humanity thrift store that also had the "dial n sew" logo on it. Mine isn't as curvy as yours (but it's an awesome baby blue color) but it looks just as old.

My grandmother's friend was really interested to know where it came from since it didn't have a company name on it and did some internet research. She found out that my machine was actually made to be sold to individual shop owners who were allowed to put their own logo on it and sell it/market it as if it was their own unique brand of sewing machine.

I wouldn't know for sure if your machine was also one those, but since it doesn't have any kind of company name on it and it has the same "dial n sew" plate, it seems likely. Where's a sewing machine history expert when you need one?

Haha, agreed. My boyfriend and I creeped the internet as hard as we could to find it, and between the two of us we couldn't find a single thing :( Hard to re-sell something when you know nothing about it!

Coopsy
Jan 30, 2011
I'm a fashion student and I made this from a terrible old pattern for practice. They were out of the floral I wanted to use, so corn it was. Blind hemming and manually gathering that much fabric made me feel ill. I ignored the rick-rack the pattern called for because rick-rack is gross.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

Coopsy posted:

I'm a fashion student and I made this from a terrible old pattern for practice. They were out of the floral I wanted to use, so corn it was. Blind hemming and manually gathering that much fabric made me feel ill. I ignored the rick-rack the pattern called for because rick-rack is gross.

Oh my god - where did you get this corn fabric?? If you have any extra yards, I will buy it from you!

:swoon:

Also - nice job on the dress! Did you have to manually gather it? I much prefer doing 2 rows of large stitches and pulling while holding the under-strings - so much easier. What school are you going to?

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Hana Dammit posted:

I ended up using super plush and lovely velvet for the first time ever and it was both terrifying and exciting. Like cutting really expensive magic water. I made a bomb rear end green romper and a silver lamme and black spandex leotard, all layered like and stuff. My roller girl was amazing. We won crowd and judges favorite! 2/4 so far!

That romper fit her PERFECTLY. It was magic and luck. gently caress you, velvet. I win.

This weeks PS challenge was to create something using non traditional materials, and I was inspired by Laura Palmer so tonight I made a dress out of plastic wrap, glitter, and packing tape. Think Miss Twin Peaks' dress made out of the bag Laura was found in with glitter instead of gravel. Pictures will come after Friday.

Also you left us hanging with this post, Hana Dammit! I desperately want to know how the Laura Palmer dress came out. :)

Coopsy
Jan 30, 2011

amishsexpot posted:

Oh my god - where did you get this corn fabric?? If you have any extra yards, I will buy it from you!

:swoon:

Also - nice job on the dress! Did you have to manually gather it? I much prefer doing 2 rows of large stitches and pulling while holding the under-strings - so much easier. What school are you going to?

I live in rural Australia and bought it from a local store here that is really trashy. You can get it online here though.

And thanks, it is the first thing I've ever sewn besides two basic calico skirts for school. I tried gathering like that but kept snapping the threads so I just gave in and hand-gathered it. I go to TAFE because it's the only place in my state that offers fashion. Unsure what the American equivalent is, community college maybe? It's actually a really nice fashion program though.

Edit: Also requesting more Hana Dammit!

Coopsy fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 6, 2011

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Can someone suggest a good sewing class in the bay area? I'm in Concord, specifically.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

nonconsensualninja posted:

Can someone suggest a good sewing class in the bay area? I'm in Concord, specifically.

Teach yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/Sew-Everything-Workshop-Step---Step/dp/0761139737/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304724247&sr=8-1

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

nonconsensualninja posted:

I don't know the bay area well, but I'd look around for local colleges that offer sewing classes, or even better, at a fashion school specifically. A lot of places just let you take classes without applying for the degree program. I'm really glad I took a few basic classes at FIT in NY just to get me started. I feel a lot more motivated, bought a sewing machine, and don't feel completely lost when starting new projects.

Edit: Thanks for posting the corn fabric link! Now I know what my next project will be after I finish finals. :3:

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.

amishsexpot posted:

Also you left us hanging with this post, Hana Dammit! I desperately want to know how the Laura Palmer dress came out. :)

Whoops! Yeah I don't have a computer, so its been hard to keep updated. Anyhow the competition is over! Laura Palmer was a sexy hit, though it lost to a paper crane tribute to Japan, I still made it into the final round and ended up taking second place.

I had a horrible allergic reaction on the day of the non-traditional materials challenge, so there are not a whole lot of pictures of my gigantic swollen face but drat MY MODEL WAS SMOKIN'

So here's the funny thing: I had never met this woman before we spent two hours wrapping her naked in saran wrap and glitter. A mutual friend hooked us up 'cause she was the right sizes for me and was totally just like "yeah sure I can impersonate a dead prom queen" so we got drunk and carefully rolled her around my friend's apartment.

I was going for a Miss Twin Peaks dress made out of the bag Laura was found in and I think it turned out pretty great, if not super sexy.

The final challenge was to create a 3-5 piece line, and I ended up doing 11 in total. The theme I went with was Hitch Hiking in Montana which is very much a personal subject for me and I chose models who I felt best represented the free-spirited nature of my theme. Blah blah blah if anyone wants to hear my full write up PM me.
my sketches

Prop! A real live hitchhiking sign! oooh!

I was wearing a wrap skirt which when removed became an ultra babalicious romper!

+ my arabian leiderhossen from earlier challenge

purple linen cropped motorcycle jacket

everyone wearing all my pieces from the whole competition!

In total I made
one wool motorcycle vest
one linen cropped motorcycle jacket
two taupe t shirts
one romper
three fanny packs
one raw silk skirt
one pair raw silk shorts
one wrap skirt
maybe something else but I think that was it. there was an emphasis on accessorising so I had all my models fill their fanny packs with personal anecdotes of things they keep close to them to feel safe. The judges loved it, and they loved my pieces and the whole event was wonderful and much fun. I've decided to go to fashion school and I am very excited about it.

and lastly, ally dance:

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Those pictures are wonderful!!!! Thank you so much for sharing. You're an inspiration.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.
Oooh I'm so excited - my boyfriend's mum gave me an ancient bulletproof Singer quite a long time ago and I only just got around to whipping it out. I plugged it in and it just....sewed...like it was possessed. Turns out it's a common problem, the local sewing centre knew exactly what was wrong. It's getting serviced and my MIL mentioned that the foot might need checking so in like two weeks, I get it back. I have a pattern and fabric ready to roll!

Also, the boyfriend has requested a Mogwai Costume. I took a look at some of the costume patterns online, I was thinking I could modify a regular cat costume to have larger ears with a soft inner and same furry outside as the rest of the costume. I would like to properly mimic Gizmo's pattern, with the white over one eye and brown vest but I have no idea what his back looks like.
Any suggestions for built in booties? How would I go about adding in soles to the feet so that he doesn't have to wear shoes but won't wreck the fabric?

EDIT: Gizmo has normal person-feet and the bf loves going barefoot. I can see how this came about.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cat Plant fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 9, 2011

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I knew my hours spent trolling Etsy for licensed patterns would come in handy to somebody!!

I'd say buy this and work on sizing it up for an adult. Hopefully his mom or somebody can help you with that.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/7253590...e=all&ga_facet=

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Quick question: I'm making a panel-and-godet skirt. I have no serger. What are some ways to do a seam finish, given the triple junction that godets create?

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Quick question: I'm making a panel-and-godet skirt. I have no serger. What are some ways to do a seam finish, given the triple junction that godets create?

I'm more of a beginner so please keep that in mind, but pinking shears are pretty good in a pinch. Plus, you don't need to deal with seam tape or anything.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

amishsexpot posted:

I'm more of a beginner so please keep that in mind, but pinking shears are pretty good in a pinch. Plus, you don't need to deal with seam tape or anything.

That really only works on fabrics that don't ravel much. This is a plain-weave cotton.

Muffy_the_Diver
Oct 19, 2004

ALL ABOARD THE BUTT TRAIN
Maybe use a bunch of Fray Check on the point of the godet? That, or some fusible interfacing. If I were making it, once everything is stitched together, I'd do a whipstitch around and around where the three seams come together just for a bit of added stability.

Arugula
Mar 22, 2007
Rich in Vitamin C and Iron!!
Made a new bag from an Amy Butler pattern ("birdie bag"). Easy to make, tons of room.

Used some extra fabric to make a little flower :3:

Lining and pockets full of sewing stuff:

ACTION SHOT!

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
I have that pattern but haven't done anything with it. Love the flower! Nice fabric choices as well.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
I just got this for free:

Someone moved out of my building and left it behind, good for me!

According to the serial number, it was made in 1914 and would have originally been treadle-powered. So far I've made some small repairs to an old blanket with it, and it works flawlessly! This thing is so solid, I'm pretty sure It'll still be sewing after the apocalypse.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

quadpus posted:

I just got this for free:

Someone moved out of my building and left it behind, good for me!

According to the serial number, it was made in 1914 and would have originally been treadle-powered. So far I've made some small repairs to an old blanket with it, and it works flawlessly! This thing is so solid, I'm pretty sure It'll still be sewing after the apocalypse.

Jealous.

Do you plan on sewing much, or did you just come in here to gloat? :)

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
Both, I'm sure. ;)

Yurpdod
May 31, 2003

This is a bed sheet that I bought at a thrift store for $3. It's from the 70s and I'm pretty sure it's intended for a little girl's bed.

I got this patten off Etsy for like $8. I did view #3 without the pocket or the lace-up front.

Final result! I'm pretty happy with it. I love wearing absolutely garish poo poo like this. Plus I even have enough fabric left over to make a dress for a friend of mine!

Lazaro
Dec 29, 2007

Yurpdod posted:

This is a bed sheet that I bought at a thrift store for $3. It's from the 70s and I'm pretty sure it's intended for a little girl's bed.

I got this patten off Etsy for like $8. I did view #3 without the pocket or the lace-up front.

Final result! I'm pretty happy with it. I love wearing absolutely garish poo poo like this. Plus I even have enough fabric left over to make a dress for a friend of mine!

What did you use for the collar interfacing? I asked a couple of old biddies at the fabric store and they told me to use fusible knit but it gave the collar no real hold at all.

Yurpdod
May 31, 2003

Lazaro posted:

What did you use for the collar interfacing? I asked a couple of old biddies at the fabric store and they told me to use fusible knit but it gave the collar no real hold at all.
I used Pellon 931TD Fusible Midweight: "Fusible Nonwoven Interfacing for Midweight to Heavyweight Fabrics" and it worked beautifully.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
I finally have something to post in this thread!

I do historical reenactment, I got into it for the clothes so it's important to me to make new stuff for events. Late last year I found a fantastic reproduction cotton print, very similar to late 18th century prints.

Here's the plan:

And here's the result!

The bodice wrinkles are totally period by the way.

I wore it to a 1770s reenactment a few weeks ago. Another reenactor who is a historic hair genius did my hair (the front is brushed up over a roll, the back is braided and curled although you can't really see). I'm wearing the dress over two petticoats, a chemise and stays (early corset), and hip pads and a bustle to shape the skirt.

I'll post more pictures if anybody is really interested. I worked on it on and off for six months; it's completely hand-sewn. Fortunately dresses of this time period go together very quickly and you can use a fairly large running backstitch, especially on seams that don't get a lost of stress, such as skirt seams. The only thing that gave me any trouble was sleeves. That's about the only thing that ever gives me any trouble though so I'm used to it. If I'd known how to handle the sleeves and really put my mind to it, I could probably have made the dress in a week or two.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
That's seriously beautiful, and I can't get over the fact that it's completely handsewn. I want to give you a medal for that. Did you make all the petticoats, etc. too?

Brazilian Werewolf
Dec 6, 2006
--dies at the end.
Chiming in to say that's absolutely gorgeous. I have so much respect for how much dedication that must have taken, great job!

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

Amazing work!!!

Are those little pleats or pintucks around the collar? The detailing is so crazy.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Wow, thanks you guys! It all seems so easy when I'm doing every little step so I'm glad people here are impressed.

18th-century gowns could be made very quickly- there are records of a group of women sewing a single gown in a day, and one of my friends sewed most of a gown herself in a weekend workshop. Gowns used valuable fabric so they were made to be taken apart and remade easily, and there are tricks to make them come together quickly. I sewed pretty much everything except the cap, but there's a lot of machine-sewing in the other things.

I'm also really used to hand-sewing and while it's slower I feel it gives more control. Plus it's easy to carry around. It's like what I do instead of knitting.

amishsexpot, that's hand-ruching- it's like hand-gathering a ruffle but you gather and sew down both sides of the strip of fabric instead of just one. I want to add more around the sleeves too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyofshallnot
Nov 11, 2008
I have a very serious question for all of you.

A friend of mine has recently gotten very seriously into costuming and sewing. Right now she is doing what she can with what she can afford and a borrowed portable sewing machine, but her birthday is coming up and the aim is to spoil her god awful rotten.

SO.

If you could have any sewing machine within the 100 - 140 dollar range, what would it be?

Additionally, if you had a 100 dollar gift certificate to any online fabric store, what would you choose?

I live in a different country, so everything has to be available to order online. I don't sew, so I'm pretty much clueless.