Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Argh, I think I got some Scabies in my hand from working outside and now my wife has to take care of Grayson until I feel like they are gone (We both treated ourselves and washed the house top down).

Mothers day is Saturday and I have already booked and paid for a day long Spa outing for her.

What to do...what to do....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\/\

I don't mean to doubt you, but are you really sure you have actual Scabies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scabies

I just ask because one gets Scabies from other people or animals, not being outside in the weeds or whatever. Rarely you can get it from bedding or clothing from an infected person, but that is truly rare. It is an itchy, nasty infection that lasts a couple/few weeks and needs to be treated with a prescription (Ivermectin) to go away--the mites will not die otherwise.

If this is really the case, you need to see a doctor, and your ped. will likely prescribe an infant safe cream for Grayson as a precaution. Your wife can't go to the spa regardless because it's so contagious--the spa would not be cool with a case of scabies. ;)

I'm just asking from experience...I used to work with animals and have gotten cross infected with the animal version of the mite (sarcoptic mange) several times (as well as other yucky skin stuff I do not miss!). Do you maybe have poison ivy/oak/sumac?

I really hope your household has not picked up Scabies... :(

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\/\

I don't mean to doubt you, but are you really sure you have actual Scabies?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scabies

I just ask because one gets Scabies from other people or animals, not being outside in the weeds or whatever. Rarely you can get it from bedding or clothing from an infected person, but that is truly rare. It is an itchy, nasty infection that lasts a couple/few weeks and needs to be treated with a prescription (Ivermectin) to go away--the mites will not die otherwise.

If this is really the case, you need to see a doctor, and your ped. will likely prescribe an infant safe cream for Grayson as a precaution. Your wife can't go to the spa regardless because it's so contagious--the spa would not be cool with a case of scabies. ;)

I'm just asking from experience...I used to work with animals and have gotten cross infected with the animal version of the mite (sarcoptic mange) several times (as well as other yucky skin stuff I do not miss!). Do you maybe have poison ivy/oak/sumac?

I really hope your household has not picked up Scabies... :(

Looked into quite a bit more and I'm not convinced it's that anymore. The first reason is that the itching isn't really there, from what I read, Scabies is like an insane itching all the time, but honestly, up here in Canada, I had never heard of Scabies until I found it on the internet. My wife and I did a full treatment of Nix in case it was Scabies (5% permethrin isn't prescription only in Canada, you can buy it over the counter) and did a full tear down of our house for washing.

I have a prescription of Cortisone and the wife/Grayson show no signs of anything (no rashes, no itching, etc) so I will be applying the Cortisone and moving forward!

MarshallX fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 5, 2011

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Ah! Good ol' Nix--that's a blast from my childhood past. I didn't know they still made the stuff. Nothing like freezing my little 5 year old butt off in the bathtub while that crap sat on my rear end-length-but-not-after-this hair for however long and then having to sit still while my Mom ran that comb through my "so help me God Alistair, I'm cutting your hair" hair. :D Memories... My Dad got mad after that because he had just perfected de-tangling my hair and getting it into two even ponytails and then my Mom cut it off after the lice. This is the first good chuckle I've had all day, remembering that.

So Baby Wham has been screaming his fool head off for an hour now. We had shots this morning, and he was in a great mood after we got home. Jovial even...laughing at me singing Bunny Foo-foo to him no less! Went down for nap around 1:30, all hell broke loose at 2. Screaming...bad, inconsolable screaming. Nursing, bottle, walking, rocking, swinging, nothing. Finally fell into a fitful sleep laying belly down on my chest. I gave him some Tylenol in case it was the shots or something making his legs sore or making him feel bad otherwise. I have him barely asleep right now belly down on my bed. Yeah I know...tummy down=bad. But I'm here to keep an eye on him and there's nothing by his face.

Thoughts? Because this hasn't been fun.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

AlistairCookie posted:

Ah! Good ol' Nix--that's a blast from my childhood past. I didn't know they still made the stuff. Nothing like freezing my little 5 year old butt off in the bathtub while that crap sat on my rear end-length-but-not-after-this hair for however long and then having to sit still while my Mom ran that comb through my "so help me God Alistair, I'm cutting your hair" hair. :D Memories... My Dad got mad after that because he had just perfected de-tangling my hair and getting it into two even ponytails and then my Mom cut it off after the lice. This is the first good chuckle I've had all day, remembering that.

So Baby Wham has been screaming his fool head off for an hour now. We had shots this morning, and he was in a great mood after we got home. Jovial even...laughing at me singing Bunny Foo-foo to him no less! Went down for nap around 1:30, all hell broke loose at 2. Screaming...bad, inconsolable screaming. Nursing, bottle, walking, rocking, swinging, nothing. Finally fell into a fitful sleep laying belly down on my chest. I gave him some Tylenol in case it was the shots or something making his legs sore or making him feel bad otherwise. I have him barely asleep right now belly down on my bed. Yeah I know...tummy down=bad. But I'm here to keep an eye on him and there's nothing by his face.

Thoughts? Because this hasn't been fun.

Alexander reacted badly to his first shots. It was pretty much as you described. He was fine just after but then a couple hours later he screamed and screamed and was completely inconsolable. Tylenol + 24 hours and he was okay. It was a hard day. We both cried a lot.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Fire In The Disco posted:

Let them air dry and apply lanolin. Cooling packs can help a lot too; there are gel ones that are made to go in the fridge and then you just tuck one into your bra.

I'll have to look into these gel packs. I've been using an ice pack and that lessens the pain a great deal. I have been letting them air dry and whatnot (again with the fear of thrush), but the ice pack seems to be the only thing that makes the pain go away.

peanut posted:

My nurses said 15 minutes a side. And to start on the side with the lower supply.
Yeah, see, this is what some of the nurses suggested. I had two different LCs visit me in the hospital; one said 15-20 minutes a side, the other said to let her nurse for as long as she wanted on one side. Again, very confusing for me. At the moment, I'm just letting her feed on one side. She usually ends up falling asleep, so I assume she's good with this practice.

I just wanted to say: Thank all the gods that ever were for the side-lying position. I've actually been able to snooze!

Oh, I remembered a question I wanted to ask. How can I keep this little bundle of joy from pooping on me? She almost always manages to poop while I'm changing her. The first couple of times, I was completely unprepared for it and she got it everywhere! I've started to put a fresh diaper underneath her dirty diaper in the hopes that I can catch it. So far this has sorta worked if I'm quick enough. Any other pointers? Why does it seem like she manages to hold it in until just the right moment? And why is it always me? :(

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Making the world a better place... with cookies!

foxatee posted:

Oh, I remembered a question I wanted to ask. How can I keep this little bundle of joy from pooping on me? She almost always manages to poop while I'm changing her. The first couple of times, I was completely unprepared for it and she got it everywhere! I've started to put a fresh diaper underneath her dirty diaper in the hopes that I can catch it. So far this has sorta worked if I'm quick enough. Any other pointers? Why does it seem like she manages to hold it in until just the right moment? And why is it always me? :(

Some of the best parenting advice I ever received: When you think she's done pooping, always wait 5 minutes before you change her. Unless the diaper has already leaked.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

chknflvrdramen posted:

Some of the best parenting advice I ever received: When you think she's done pooping, always wait 5 minutes before you change her. Unless the diaper has already leaked.

Dood, that doesn't work! We've tried that so many times, thinking we were outsmarting her. But no! She's totally onto us. Sneaky little thing~

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

foxatee posted:

I'll have to look into these gel packs. I've been using an ice pack and that lessens the pain a great deal. I have been letting them air dry and whatnot (again with the fear of thrush), but the ice pack seems to be the only thing that makes the pain go away.

Yeah, see, this is what some of the nurses suggested. I had two different LCs visit me in the hospital; one said 15-20 minutes a side, the other said to let her nurse for as long as she wanted on one side. Again, very confusing for me. At the moment, I'm just letting her feed on one side. She usually ends up falling asleep, so I assume she's good with this practice.

I just wanted to say: Thank all the gods that ever were for the side-lying position. I've actually been able to snooze!

Get a little potty, sit her on said potty, wait til she's done pooping, and finish changing her. :)

The 15-20 minutes per side thing is mostly considered to be outdated information, according to my LC last year. The big exception to that would be if after 15-20 minutes the baby is fussy and you're not actually getting any milk out anymore.

And yeah, side-lying nursing is a freaking godsend for sleeping!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I never nursed for a specific amount of time - I listened for swallowing sounds. When he was no longer swallowing anything, I switched breast. Usually the lack of swallowing would be accompanied by his letting go of the boob more and more often and fussing a bit.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Panne posted:

I never nursed for a specific amount of time - I listened for swallowing sounds. When he was no longer swallowing anything, I switched breast. Usually the lack of swallowing would be accompanied by his letting go of the boob more and more often and fussing a bit.

Yep, this. Also you can tell by their jaw movements; when they're engaged in nutritive sucking it looks like they're chewing gum and their jaw will be moving up by their ear. It's really hard to time nursing. I usually alternate which breast I start with because she often will only take one and be satisfied. The second boob is more of a dessert if she's not quite full. :) Sometimes she'll nurse for 30 minutes and sometimes 10 -- just keep watching and it gets easier to tell as you go. By 8 weeks I felt like an old pro.

bellybutton
Feb 5, 2005
Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.
I haven't posted in awhile, because I feel like I'm talking about this baby all the time everywhere else. It's the first grandchild for both sides of the family, and it's just baby baby baby AHHHH all the time.

Because it's been so long since I posted, I'll just quickly recap: I have a unicornuate uterus, which, essentially, means I have half a uterus. I'm due August 10th, but the baby will probably run out of room around mid-June and the baby will be born then. It can be scary, but that's not so early that there's a ton of danger to the baby, and the NICU in my city is pretty amazing.

The pregnancy has been going quite well. I get an ultrasound every 2 weeks to make sure things are going well in there, so I've seen her plenty of times. She's moving pretty much constantly, and I'm even sleeping pretty well, though at 27 weeks, I'm starting to get uncomfortable at night. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Until last week, that is! Does anyone have any experience with "symphysis pubis dysfunction"? (Here's a link for you! http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/physicalhealth/pelvicpain/)

Last week, I was just standing up from my desk and I felt a horrible pain in my pelvis. After visiting the doctor, he decided it was that, and told me to stay off my feet for a couple of days and take tylenol, and to call if it didn't go away. On Saturday, I ended up calling the on call OB at my hospital, and he had me come in. I couldn't walk at all without extreme pain. My guy ended up wheeling me around the hospital. It was actually kind of embarrassing.

After an examination and a discussion, he fitted me for a pelvic girdle, instructed me to not get up and walk around without it for any reason, and to stay off my feet as much as possible. He also gave me a script for 60 oxycodone pills and has me set up for physical therapy. This pelvic girdle is the sexiest thing ever, let me tell you.

He said sometimes it goes away, sometimes it gets worse throughout the pregnancy, and sometimes it waxes and wanes, and then after birth, it goes away eventually. As fun as they are, I don't really want to be on oxycodone for the rest of my pregnancy, so I'm hoping for the first option.

Does anyone have any experience with this really ridiculous condition? How did you cope? Did you find any tricks to make it hurt a little less?

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
How do you guys spend time outside with your little ones? Grayson is 6 weeks old and hasn't left the house much outside of in his car carrier.

We have a playpen but it doesn't have a sun-block on it.

My wife and I like to spend alot of time in our backyard and we are deprived!

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Sounds like you need a big patio umbrella.

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

bellybutton posted:

PGP

I'm sorry, but mine got worse the bigger I got. I had a super sexy brace as well, and ended up just laying down for most of the last trimester due to the pain. I had to quit work.

Good news is it went away about three days post birth and hasn't come back.

Missa
Dec 10, 2006
Your stupidity frightens me, but then again, I hit myself in the face with a wiimote once.
MarshallX, Sounds like you guys need a goofy, baby sun hat, and some baby-safe SPF 50. =]
My little one is just over 4 weeks, and we spend tons of time outside. We've been to 2 pool parties and a few picnics. Just cover the little one in sunblock, and protect his little head and eyes with a hat. I think we'd go crazy stuck inside.

Edit: Sunblock, not sunscreen.

Missa fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 10, 2011

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I don't think you're supposed to use sunscreen before 6 months. Just put a sunhat on him and a light layer of clothing.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

I don't think you're supposed to use sunscreen before 6 months. Just put a sunhat on him and a light layer of clothing.

Yes, this. Even sunblock rather than sunscreen is next recommended before 6 months.

When you and your wife are outside, are you in the direct sun the whole time yourselves? Do you have shade you sit in? Just hold him or wear him if you yourself are in the shade.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004

Yes, this. Even sunblock rather than sunscreen is next recommended before 6 months.

When you and your wife are outside, are you in the direct sun the whole time yourselves? Do you have shade you sit in? Just hold him or wear him if you yourself are in the shade.

The problem is that we are usually working on gardens, etc, not really just hanging around.

I may try to make a sort of tent over top of his playpen and bring it out so he is in the shade and can look around and have some freedom.

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006

LuckyDaemon posted:

All of this "one drink will make your baby retarded" stuff is pretty unique to this country!

And France. I had a Frog yell at me because I had a sip of white wine in front of him. I just answered that I am not taking medical advice from someone coming from a Country of pill-poppers (French are the champions in anti-depressant and antibiotics consumption).

BTW I had a wine-tasting trip, and I drank two beers on a Friday plus one evening I had cognac before knowing I was pregnant. I told my OB/GYN and she answered that a little booze early on may just make a happier baby as long as I don't worry too much and I stop the parties . And she was right! I have a happy baby!

I had the occasional sip of good wine, and everything went fine.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

MarshallX posted:

The problem is that we are usually working on gardens, etc, not really just hanging around.

Do you have a wrap or carrier? We tie Julia (4.5 wks) on my back in a rucksack carry when we are fiddling around outside - you still have plenty of freedom to move around, and if Greyson is anything like my baby, he'll probably feel so good in there that he falls right asleep :3:

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

Speaking of wraps and whatnot-- living in Houston in the summer, it gets pretty drat hot. Today it is 90 degrees with a low of 70. What would be the best type of carrier? Keep in mind I gotta get something my husband will use, as well.

In other news, little peanut nursed without the shield last night! Woo!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

foxatee posted:

Speaking of wraps and whatnot-- living in Houston in the summer, it gets pretty drat hot. Today it is 90 degrees with a low of 70. What would be the best type of carrier? Keep in mind I gotta get something my husband will use, as well.

In other news, little peanut nursed without the shield last night! Woo!

I live in the desert, and in the summer, temps top out at about 110. I wore Cecilia last summer (she was 2-5 months, approx) in a cotton gauze wrap. It's totally breathable and it lets air through it. However, my husband wasn't always a fan of using it, because he didn't want to practice the wrapping technique to get it down.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
As far as I know, Coppertone is the only one who makes a tear free baby sunscreen (It's the Pure & Simple version of the Waterbabies ones). There may be other brands, I've only looked at Target/ToysRus.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

Rathina posted:

As far as I know, Coppertone is the only one who makes a tear free baby sunscreen (It's the Pure & Simple version of the Waterbabies ones). There may be other brands, I've only looked at Target/ToysRus.

California Baby makes one too :) Really good for sensitive skin. (also sold at Target!)

brambling lass fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 9, 2011

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.
Quote is not edit!

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

anythingbutbloo posted:

California Baby makes one too :) Really good for sensitive skin. (also sold at Target!)

I'm assuming they probably keep that with the rest of the California Baby brand stuff instead of with the sunscreen which explains why I have never seen it.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
They do, and it is AWESOME STUFF. It's one of the few things that doesn't make my crazy-rear end skin break out.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My son is 5 months old and I have tried to make sure we go outside every day, even if it's just walking the dogs or lingering while getting the mail. Unless the weather is REALLY crappy, and even then I want to get him used to the elements so we venture out sometimes (while staying warm & dry).

We put our kid in a Bumbo while we're futzing around in the backyard, and have also draped a receiving blanket over his playmat and laid him in the grass. I carry him in a sling while watering plants and picking fruit.

I make sure he's not in direct sun, and if he is I make sure he's wearing a hat with a brim to keep the sun out of his eyes and a thin sleeper-outfit to protect his skin.

We've gone to Joshua Tree twice over the past few months. The first time when he was 2 months old, he got a minor sunburn on his cheeks because I failed to make sure his hat's brim covered his face, but it healed very quickly and it hasn't happened since.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
I pop Liam in his bouncy seat and re-position it in the yard to keep him in the shade and keep him near to what bed I'm working in. I used to do the same for Tim. He coos at the clouds, or stares off into space, or nods off if he's inclined. Or like VorpalBunny said, I have also laid a blanket down on the ground and set them down to flap their little arms and legs in the breeze. :D

The suggestions to wear him are good too, if you like wearing him. It's not my personal preference unless we're out walking at the park or the zoo or something. I hate bending over wearing him...

I use Banana Boat for kids spray, SPF 50. Tear free, not sticky, easy to apply, great for all of us.

I thought no sun-block until 6 months as well, but just at Liam's 2 month check-up last week, my ped told me that he could have kid-safe sunblock now and that they were changing the recommendations. :confused: But I will just stick with shade until he's older anyway...it's just as easy when they're immobile.

Missa
Dec 10, 2006
Your stupidity frightens me, but then again, I hit myself in the face with a wiimote once.
I don't know the difference between sunscreen and sunblock, honestly.:blush: But, our pediatrician said baby safe spf 50 is safe for all ages, even newborn, just keep it out of the eyes, and wash them after you come in.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Sunblock uses an ingredient, generally zinc oxide or titanium oxide, to literally block the sun from the skin. Sunscreen uses other chemicals to act as filters against UV light (source: http://www.melanomafoundation.org/prevention/facts.htm). I was told by my doctor that it's preferable to use a sunblock on a baby. We use the aforementioned awesome California Baby Super Sensitive SPF 30 one.

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
I live in Perth Australia (it's super hot and we have really harsh sun in case you don't know), we walk everywhere and don't use sunblock/sunscreen at all.

My baby always has a hat on, and I carry an umbrella when we walk. I cover her legs with babylegs. Now that she's mobile we take care to not go anywhere without an umbrella or where there is shade. We have never had any problems with sunburn or exposure, and we're outside quite a lot.

Missa
Dec 10, 2006

Sunblock uses an ingredient, generally zinc oxide or titanium oxide, to literally block the sun from the skin. Sunscreen uses other chemicals to act as filters against UV light (source: http://www.melanomafoundation.org/prevention/facts.htm). I was told by my doctor that it's preferable to use a sunblock on a baby. We use the aforementioned awesome California Baby Super Sensitive SPF 30 one.

Thanks. I never noticed the different labels, I just used the baby safe brands. All sunblock, now I look at it.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
Guess I can officially join this thread now--just got back from the doctor and apparently I'm pregnant! :toot: I've missed 2 periods in all, so I was expecting to be something like nine weeks along, but the urine test was so faint the doc said I'd probably conceived sometime in the last month and just missed the previous period for the hell of it. So I'm trying to keep a lid on it for a while, but if I don't tell somebody I'ma pop :3:

Does anyone here have experience with tapering off antidepressants while pregnant, specifically Zoloft? I've seen plenty of resources that suggest it's not dangerous in pregnancy, but I've also read that when the baby's born that it might suffer withdrawals, and having been through it myself I definitely don't want to put a new kid through it. (Quitting Paxil, even on a very slow taper, was a sumbitch.) So if anyone has experience with that and wouldn't mind sharing, I'd much appreciate it.

bellybutton
Feb 5, 2005
Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.

Chicken McNobody posted:

Does anyone here have experience with tapering off antidepressants while pregnant, specifically Zoloft? I've seen plenty of resources that suggest it's not dangerous in pregnancy, but I've also read that when the baby's born that it might suffer withdrawals, and having been through it myself I definitely don't want to put a new kid through it. (Quitting Paxil, even on a very slow taper, was a sumbitch.) So if anyone has experience with that and wouldn't mind sharing, I'd much appreciate it.

First of all, congratulations! I'm only 27 weeks in, and so far, it's been a hell of a ride. Try to enjoy it. I know that I am not liking it at all, but apparently, a lot of women do!

As for the antidepressants, you definitely, definitely need to work on that with your doctor. Your psych meds doc, not your OB. It's one of those things where you can stay on them or not, and you really need to weigh the benefits with the risks with a professional. Your hormones are going to be going NUTS. Seriously, all those crazy stories about insane pregnant ladies? All true. You will be one of them on the meds, and you very well may NEED them. In all caps.

So talk to your doctor about it. If you need to come off of them, you might be able to wait until the end, and taper off over the last few weeks.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

"Tatiana" posted:

I live in Perth Australia (it's super hot and we have really harsh sun in case you don't know), we walk everywhere and don't use sunblock/sunscreen at all.

My baby always has a hat on, and I carry an umbrella when we walk. I cover her legs with babylegs. Now that she's mobile we take care to not go anywhere without an umbrella or where there is shade. We have never had any problems with sunburn or exposure, and we're outside quite a lot.

Jack's so fair skinned he got a mild sunburn on his cheeks the other day spending a couple hours outside with his dad -- in the shade the entire time, wearing sunblock AND a hat. I think I waited too long to reapply the sunscreen. Poor pale baby got his momma's skin. :(

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

Chicken McNobody posted:

I talked with my doctor who talked to a psychiatrist and he suggested that since I've tried to get off my antidepressant and then had to go back on, it wouldn't be a good idea to quit, as a depressed mother is just as unhealthy as other things. They didn't mention baby withdrawal but said that there was some correlation with lower birth weight. Apparently, Prozac is the only antidepressant that has been studied thoroughly in pregnant women and even with that, the doctors didn't want to say anything for certain. For the record I was on Zoloft, went off for a year, and now am on Wellbutrin.

Like bellybutton said, talk to your doctor! The problem I ran into is that my doctor isn't used to pregnancy questions and had to consult with an OB and the psychiatrist before getting back to me; an OB would know more about drugs and pregnancy but maybe not about your specific medical history. And in the end, he said that it was my choice because both options had their pros and cons.

Another thing he mentioned is that I definitely won't be able to breastfeed. The antidepressant doesn't cross the placenta in great quantities (if at all, I can't remember) but it does it get concentrated in breast milk.

Edit: To actually answer your question about tapering off, I'm not planning on doing that. My brain can't produce those chemicals and I'm non-functional without them unless I have zero stress. If I had a strong support system and better access to therapy, I might consider it. Everyone's situation is different so good luck to you!

Now I have a question for the thread:
This is my first pregnancy and I am 6 weeks pregnant and have extreme exhaustion plus some insomnia (plus nausea, some cramps, etc). The only remedy for exhaustion I've seen is herbal teas - is there anything else? I'm thinking I'll have to do one cup of green tea so that I can get to school on time.

Tesla Insanely Coil fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 12, 2011

LuckyDaemon
Jan 14, 2006

Lower your standards.
This means dating fat girls because you can't do better.
I got around the first trimester exhaustion with coffee/tea and powernaps. I would drink something caffeinated, then lie down and try to sleep. By the time the caffeine kicked in I had about 20 minutes of sleep, which made quite a difference.

Also, I had really horrible headaches in my 1st trimester and the caffeine helped a lot. Check with your OB to make sure, but its generally accepted that you can have up to 3 cups of coffee or equivalent per day. That was way too much for me, though.

Unfortunately, the exhaustion was really hard to work around, especially since I was a grad student. You just have to rest more, no getting around it--you're growing a person! Fortunately, the fatigue goes away after three months! Unfortunately, it's later replaced by even worse stuff when 3rd trimester rolls around.

I really, really, really miss my 2nd trimester :allears: Now if you'll excuse me baby is punching my cervix and I need to lie down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007
^ She is also growing a placenta. Everyone always forgets the placenta. You are growing a whole new organ! Like a liver! How cool is that?

Chicken McNobody posted:

Guess I can officially join this thread now--just got back from the doctor and apparently I'm pregnant! :toot: I've missed 2 periods in all, so I was expecting to be something like nine weeks along, but the urine test was so faint the doc said I'd probably conceived sometime in the last month and just missed the previous period for the hell of it. So I'm trying to keep a lid on it for a while, but if I don't tell somebody I'ma pop :3:

I tapered off ADs while pregnant to 'protect my baby'. I then went on to suffer the most severe ante and post natal depression known to man. It was really, really terrible and I said some awful things. Nearly 6 months out and it is controlled but not gone. If I had another child I would keep taking the ADs, breastfeeding be damned. A happy mother is far and away the absolute most important thing for a baby. And for you.