Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA

niethan posted:

He also bragged about wearing his champ belt during sex.
To be fair, that belt may very well have been the only reason he got laid in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Also to be fair, I'm pretty sure Overeem wears all three of his belts to bed.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've never understood why goons got so bent out of shape about Sylvia loving with the belt on. It seems like a pretty obvious thing to do and if I were champ I'd let everyone know I was doing it too.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
the first time I read that I had the impression you intended to loan the belt out to everyone you knew so they could gently caress with it on

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Haraksha posted:

I've never understood why goons got so bent out of shape about Sylvia loving with the belt on. It seems like a pretty obvious thing to do and if I were champ I'd let everyone know I was doing it too.

You'd be bent out of shape too if you were forced to picture Tim Sylvia's "o-face"

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

Haraksha posted:

It's not so much the act as the fact that he publicly talked about it. Also he's gross.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thermos H Christ posted:

his badness does not approach that of dan miragliotta yet seldom is heard a discouraging word about big dan

I booed him so much at Bellator 15 that he came into the crowd to try and find out who kept yelling "YOU loving SUCK MIRGLIOTTA!" Some people are trying to spread the word.

Part of the problem with Sylvia is early in his UFC career he had some really fun fights with trash heavyweights like Cabbage. When he started having really boring fights they seemed even more boring in comparison. Also he's hard on the eyes.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Haraksha posted:

Sylvia is probably the most stereotypically goony of all MMA fighters. That includes the self loathing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I hate White Power Bill.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Xguard86 posted:

Sylvia is probably the most stereotypically goony of all MMA fighters. That includes the self loathing.

I just imagine if Overeem said he had sex with the belt(s) on goons would give him a high five. They're probably even make a hilarious rape joke about it, too.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Things Sylvia did that were adorable:

Wore his belt absolutely everywhere

Things Sylvia did that were not adorable:

Fight

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The Nog fight was seriously awesome. He was just a lousy champion.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Haraksha posted:

I just imagine if Overeem said he had sex with the belt(s) on goons would give him a high five. They're probably even make a hilarious rape joke about it, too.

If you're fat, awkward and have lovely fights everything you do seems pathetic. If you're a dude who looks like superman and toss's bitches around like no one's business you get a lot more leeway.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
No it's just affirmative action aka reverse racism

LIKE TEN DICKS
Feb 25, 2009

Haraksha posted:

The Nog fight was seriously awesome. He was just a lousy champion.

that fight was a lot less cool if you put it in context with the mir and third herring fight

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It really was the beginning of the end for Nog, wasn't it?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Haraksha posted:

It really was the beginning of the end for Nog, wasn't it?

Retrospectively while a great fight Nog was getting beat up horribly and if Sylvia had better ground and pound striking, even on Mir's level, we could be in a universe where Brock Lesnar had fought Tim Sylvia. Nog at least got to delight us with the Randy fight and its three second homage to Frye v Takayama before he finally hits the end though.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
lesnar vs Sylvia would be legitimately fun to watch. A giant stud wrestler that hates getting hit versus an enormous manchild that only knows how to throw 1-2s and sprawl.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Xguard86 posted:

lesnar vs Sylvia would be legitimately fun to watch. A giant stud wrestler that hates getting hit versus an enormous manchild that only knows how to throw 1-2s and sprawl.

sylvia is a blue belt now, respect the skillz man

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
do you guys watch norm

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
http://ironforgesiron.com/2011/04/video-sports-show-with-norm-macdonald-ultimate-fighters-with-kyle/

for canadars its here http://www.thecomedynetwork.ca/shows/showdetails.aspx?sid=31610 but you have to watch the whole show (this is not a bad thing)

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I do. I only follow one sport and he doesn't like it. But it's cool because he's Norm. Plus at the end of the episode he gives valuable advice re: hustling pool.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
My friend told me Mike Pyle did an amazing reversal from side control in a fight recently, but I haven't been able to find it. Any idea what he was referring to?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

My friend told me Mike Pyle did an amazing reversal from side control in a fight recently, but I haven't been able to find it. Any idea what he was referring to?

Maybe the Hathaway fight because IIRC he had him in a wierd crucifix position at one point, he also fought Almeida in his last fight but from memory Almeida struggled to even get it to the ground let alone passing to side control.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Maybe the Hathaway fight because IIRC he had him in a wierd crucifix position at one point, he also fought Almeida in his last fight but from memory Almeida struggled to even get it to the ground let alone passing to side control.

That crucifix was really cool, but my friend described as being an escape from side control bottom. Should have been clearer, sorry.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Gomi Pile posted:

do you guys watch norm

no but I will now, didn't know he had a new show

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Now it's driving me crazy, I totally remember seeing Mike Pyle do an amazing sweep from under side control. I'm gonna say it had to be either the Hathaway or the Lennox fight.

iceberg sleaz
Apr 28, 2011

AAA

Thermos H Christ posted:

Now it's driving me crazy, I totally remember seeing Mike Pyle do an amazing sweep from under side control. I'm gonna say it had to be either the Hathaway or the Lennox fight.

Pretty sure that was the Hathaway fight as the brit was sluggish and mechanical when he went for takedowns and any time he was on top. Also I don't remember Pyle getting any real takedowns but I remember him getting on top and being the much better grappler overall.

Pyle is a very very talented guy but I doubt his focus and work rate sometimes.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I remember reading a series of articles that covered the history of MMA, which seemed very well written. Unfortunately, I can't remember poo poo about where I found it or its contents other than it went back to the birth of modern MMA, including some of the earliest matches held in Japan that were booked by (I think?) Antonio Inoki. Unfortunately, I can't find it now; I know this is essentially the worst description of a web page ever, but

Also: is there a good source for seeing the strategies behind the major schools that you see used in MMA? I know that wrestlers are based around getting your opponent to the ground ASAP and then loving them, but beyond that I'm not sure of the finer points of BJJ/muay thai/sambo/judo/taekwondo.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You should probably start by not looking at styles in that way. Most of the top fighters are well-rounded and their styles are unique - for example, Jon Jones and Georges St. Pierre are both dominant wrestlers, but they approach fighting in fundamentally different ways.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Rodney the Piper posted:

I remember reading a series of articles that covered the history of MMA, which seemed very well written. Unfortunately, I can't remember poo poo about where I found it or its contents other than it went back to the birth of modern MMA, including some of the earliest matches held in Japan that were booked by (I think?) Antonio Inoki. Unfortunately, I can't find it now; I know this is essentially the worst description of a web page ever, but

Also: is there a good source for seeing the strategies behind the major schools that you see used in MMA? I know that wrestlers are based around getting your opponent to the ground ASAP and then loving them, but beyond that I'm not sure of the finer points of BJJ/muay thai/sambo/judo/taekwondo.

I don't know if this is the same one you are talking about but this is from my UFC OP: Welcome to MMA, Here's the History of the Sport.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Rodney the Piper posted:

in case no one actually helps you, you can read this

sambo and taekwondo guys only really make it in mma if they're athletic and can shore up their other skills tremendously. No one based in TKD has ever done poo poo, and no one really uses a TKD style in any meaningful sense. The closest it comes is some guy throws a kick Joe Rogan recognizes from his TKD days and calls it a TKD name. The main guys who would be exceptions to the rule for Sambo are Fedor and Oleg Taktarov. Fedor's 'sambo' backround is actually combat sambo which is basically mma with restricted rules and fighters who suck. Both guys had a ton of physical attributes that helped them succeed more than their sambo skills. Oleg got lay n prayed by Tank loving Abbott for over ten minutes. Oleg also initiated the much repeated line of poo poo that sambo guys are really dangerous with leglocks in MMA. They can be but it's far from something to take for granted.

BJJ guys and wrestlers both want to be on top. But wrestling is a lot more focused on takedowns and staying on your feet in the clinch, etc. than BJJ is. Generally speaking, wrestlers are better at takedowns and takedown defense than anyone else. BJJ matches don't end if you end up off your feet or with your shoulders to the mat, in fact in a lot of competitions takedowns are scored relatively evenly with sweeps and guard passing, and subsequently BJJ guys have to know all kinds of different poo poo and have a lot more experience working off their backs, so it's a trade off. As a rule of thumb wrestlers hate being on their backs. But they're still big strong grapplers so a lot of them are good at standing back up. BJJ guys can be really good at standing up, too, and sometimes if a wrestler isn't well schooled in BJJ, a guy with precise technique and grappling know-how can get up from underneath a bigger, stronger guy. I'm thinking of Jones/Bonnar, where Snowball King blows Bonnar off his feet over and over, but Bonnar has impeccable instincts on the ground and gets back to his feet very quickly.

Muay Thai is a style of kickboxing with a ton of variation within it. There's guys like Pedro Rizzo who always fight like there is no time limit, and then there are guys from like Cordiero's crew or Golden Glory who come out swinging. Basically there's a lot of elbows, knees, and kicks, and they fight in the clinch. Google up thai plumb and you'll see probably the most unique part of the style, which I don't want to try and explain with more ugly words. It's a real good style to base your mma fighting on either way, since staying back and throwing meaningful shots in a Pedro Rizzo style is conducive to incorporating takedown defense into ones game, and being really aggressive also has it's own advantages, like the chance to take someone out early, and getting finishes just by overwhelming guys with less striking experience or skill. The only thing I've ever noticed really as a con to muay thai dudes is that sometimes guys with more concentrated focus on their boxing
can take advantage of a muay thai guy's guard and head movement, since it's geared to block elbows and kicks as much as it is punches, and there's a bit of a trade off. There really aren't that many guys with the boxing talent to pull it off, but if you watch Lil Nogueira v. Cane you'll see that exact thing. ANother thing worth noting here is that the boxing guys can have problems with the more kickboxing oriented guys, too. Again I'm thinking of Lil Nog, when get got KO'd by like the most basic kickboxing combo of all time against Sokodjou.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I don't know if this is the same one you are talking about but this is from my UFC OP: Welcome to MMA, Here's the History of the Sport.

That's it, thanks! Sorry I didn't think to check your thread.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Rodney the Piper posted:

http://holdyourfoot.blogspot.com/2008/09/history-of-mixed-martial-arts.html

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

in case no one actually helps you, you can read this

sambo and taekwondo guys only really make it in mma if they're athletic and can shore up their other skills tremendously. No one based in TKD has ever done poo poo, and no one really uses a TKD style in any meaningful sense. The closest it comes is some guy throws a kick Joe Rogan recognizes from his TKD days and calls it a TKD name. The main guys who would be exceptions to the rule for Sambo are Fedor and Oleg Taktarov. Fedor's 'sambo' backround is actually combat sambo which is basically mma with restricted rules and fighters who suck. Both guys had a ton of physical attributes that helped them succeed more than their sambo skills. Oleg got lay n prayed by Tank loving Abbott for over ten minutes. Oleg also initiated the much repeated line of poo poo that sambo guys are really dangerous with leglocks in MMA. They can be but it's far from something to take for granted.

BJJ guys and wrestlers both want to be on top. But wrestling is a lot more focused on takedowns and staying on your feet in the clinch, etc. than BJJ is. Generally speaking, wrestlers are better at takedowns and takedown defense than anyone else. BJJ matches don't end if you end up off your feet or with your shoulders to the mat, in fact in a lot of competitions takedowns are scored relatively evenly with sweeps and guard passing, and subsequently BJJ guys have to know all kinds of different poo poo and have a lot more experience working off their backs, so it's a trade off. As a rule of thumb wrestlers hate being on their backs. But they're still big strong grapplers so a lot of them are good at standing back up. BJJ guys can be really good at standing up, too, and sometimes if a wrestler isn't well schooled in BJJ, a guy with precise technique and grappling know-how can get up from underneath a bigger, stronger guy. I'm thinking of Jones/Bonnar, where Snowball King blows Bonnar off his feet over and over, but Bonnar has impeccable instincts on the ground and gets back to his feet very quickly.

Muay Thai is a style of kickboxing with a ton of variation within it. There's guys like Pedro Rizzo who always fight like there is no time limit, and then there are guys from like Cordiero's crew or Golden Glory who come out swinging. Basically there's a lot of elbows, knees, and kicks, and they fight in the clinch. Google up thai plumb and you'll see probably the most unique part of the style, which I don't want to try and explain with more ugly words. It's a real good style to base your mma fighting on either way, since staying back and throwing meaningful shots in a Pedro Rizzo style is conducive to incorporating takedown defense into ones game, and being really aggressive also has it's own advantages, like the chance to take someone out early, and getting finishes just by overwhelming guys with less striking experience or skill. The only thing I've ever noticed really as a con to muay thai dudes is that sometimes guys with more concentrated focus on their boxing
can take advantage of a muay thai guy's guard and head movement, since it's geared to block elbows and kicks as much as it is punches, and there's a bit of a trade off. There really aren't that many guys with the boxing talent to pull it off, but if you watch Lil Nogueira v. Cane you'll see that exact thing. ANother thing worth noting here is that the boxing guys can have problems with the more kickboxing oriented guys, too. Again I'm thinking of Lil Nog, when get got KO'd by like the most basic kickboxing combo of all time against Sokodjou.

To expand on the Muay Thai thing, in traditional thai rules punches aren't counted, so in order to score you must hit with kicks, knees or elbows. In recent times, partly due to the rise of MMA more traditional boxing is being incorporated in MT training programs and the traditional guard has been somewhat abandoned in favour of a different hand position to protect from punching and brawling exchanges.

Europeans in particular the dutch have a less traditional approach that uses more boxing and the newer kind of guard in their kick boxing. For an example of the differences check out Amir Sadollah's fight with Phil Baroni and then watch some traditional MT on youtube. The same basic style but very different in the way it's used depending on where and when.

Pretty much now days you'll see fighters doing three core things, Striking almost always MT and traditional Boxing, wrestling and BJJ for fighting off their back. Naturally some who've grown up doing one of the three will be better at it and base their game around that. Some fighters don't like adopting newer things or stay in their base like Machida in Shotokan and BJ Penn who rarely throws a kick or looks to wrestle. Their reasons are a whole other kettle of fish though.

Try to think of styles i.e. Rogan saying "he's a great MT practitioner" or other sperg out comment less of them being a purist and more of them using that style in an MMA context which can be very different from the pure art like the MT example above.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BlindSite posted:

To expand on the Muay Thai thing, in traditional thai rules punches aren't counted,

This isn't true. Punches are counted they just aren't worth as much as kicks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bundt Cake posted:

The main guys who would be exceptions to the rule for Sambo are Fedor and Oleg Taktarov.
Sergei Kharitonov trained in combat sambo and did the military version as part of training. I imagine a lot of his ground experience still comes from his time with Red Devil, though.

quote:

Again I'm thinking of Lil Nog, when get got KO'd by like the most basic kickboxing combo of all time against Sokodjou.

I think the issue wasn't the problem of not recognizing the specific combo, but still taking an unknown fighter for granted and having overall defenses down.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This isn't true. Punches are counted they just aren't worth as much as kicks.

Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about since when I was loving in thailand and went to Patong stadium that's exactly what was said by the ring announcer, that's exactly what my friends who train MT told me and that's exactly what I was told when training there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I'm sorry you're wrong? No reason to get all crybaby about it.