Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

StealthArcher posted:

Fair point, he's well and willing to listen to me if I have a solution.

Only problem is his contacts are horribly decentralized and in strings, word of mouth is powerful, having kept him employed, but it's also horrible to follow up with any of them who didn't wind up giving contact info.

Well yeah, I mean if it's literally his business riding on it then $10 a month is nothing for the peace of mind. Just make sure the robot he gets from Bell support actually does the account downgrade properly. I can't even remember the last time I saw Bell provision anything successfully the first time.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

I just switched to Teksavvy Cable this morning and it feels so drat good not getting throttled on my torrents. Also speeds are better than Rogers eve though I had 15/1 on Rogers too. Seeing downloads at >2mb/s whereas I was only getting ~1.5mb/s with Rogers. Feels good.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
No cable Teksavvy in Edmonton according to their website. Sigh.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
So, Distributel cable works in Cogeco Oakville. This is a dream come true. Apparently the transfer went off without a hitch, but my modem got stuck in the mail :argh:

So I'm 99% that it works now. Their customer service has been a dream to work with compared to Acanac. It's like Acanac is trying to be incompetent every step of the way.

I don't know how fast it will be though. I've had torrents seemingly max out on Cogeco at ~1.6MB/s even though it's supposed to go to 2.2MB/s.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Scott Adams has obviously found a way to tap into Bell's secret management meetings.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

less than three posted:

Scott Adams has obviously found a way to tap into Bell's secret management meetings.

Despite Scott Adams' recent craziness, and "the internet" long ago deciding that Dilbert apparently isn't funny, that one comic is amazing.

LITERALLY MAD IRL
Oct 30, 2008

And Malcolm Gladwell likes what he hears!

whiskas posted:

Their media companies have been giving sloppy head to the tories for the last month, they're gonna expect some juicy return from all that, and they will likely get it.

The Tories have always wanted to ease foreign ownership rules. The only thing that stopped them was their minority status. The telecoms are not happy about this majority.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

In the same situation, and I haven't been able to find anything concrete on how long the sympatico email will hang around for. If you get a concrete answer on that from anywhere, could you post it here?

This info is from a few years ago, but in order to maintain your Sympatico email address you had to maintain ANY Sympatico subscription. Their cheapest is dial-up, which at the time was $12/month.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

LITERALLY MAD IRL posted:

The Tories have always wanted to ease foreign ownership rules. The only thing that stopped them was their minority status. The telecoms are not happy about this majority.

The only thing stopping them was their not trying to change those rules, and instead just using the back door of arbitrarily reversing CRTC decisions that actually followed the law, until the courts smacked them down for it.

It'd have been trivial to find ten opposition MPs from the last Parliament that would have voted to kneecap our horrible telecoms, and you don't even have the cultural or systemic concerns here that you do with the broadcasting/banking ownership rules.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Alright, home issues solved (yay), new issue arises.

I'm switching to University of Manitoba for one year. They do all the usual Teh Stoopid™ like having Aramark the shittiest food provider ever, so I'm going to just go an assume without having to look that their residence internet is kneecapped like crazy as well.

Problem being is there doesn't seem to be a good ISP for Winnipeg in general, even looking on the canadianisp.ca site. Any Goons can help a fellow out on the search for non-poo poo internet again?

(Honestly, what happened, did Homicidipeg scare them all away?)

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

StealthArcher posted:

I'm switching to University of Manitoba for one year. They do all the usual Teh Stoopid™ like having Aramark the shittiest food provider ever, so I'm going to just go an assume without having to look that their residence internet is kneecapped like crazy as well.

Problem being is there doesn't seem to be a good ISP for Winnipeg in general, even looking on the canadianisp.ca site. Any Goons can help a fellow out on the search for non-poo poo internet again?

http://www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/ispsearch.cgi?f=ShowDetail&ispid=115&city=Winnipeg&busper=P&serv_type=ALL&prov=MB

That dry loop/dsl look good for the price.

There are more then a few of those in the peg.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Sashimi posted:

If anything, the Conservative crime legislation which is almost certainly going to include internet surveillance is more worrying than UBB. They've tried it before, and before the election Harper said he'd try to pass this in the first 100 days of parliament if he got a majority.

To get back to this, the Pirate Party promised to set up a VPN network in Canada, announcement made before the whole election fiasco http://thenextweb.com/ca/2011/04/19/pirate-party-to-launch-vpn-in-canada/

quote:

While the party may not have a chance to win any seats in Canadian Parliament, it certainly will have more than a few take it up on this new VPN service should the Conservatives return to power with a majority.

One can only hope this happens soon. In the meantime, any alternative VPNs I should look out for?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

univbee posted:

This info is from a few years ago, but in order to maintain your Sympatico email address you had to maintain ANY Sympatico subscription. Their cheapest is dial-up, which at the time was $12/month.

Yup, just got off the phone with bell. It'll last 2-3 days after your cancellation goes through, and their dialup is the same price as the cheapest dsl option... :psyduck:

Ugh.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sprawl posted:

http://www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/ispsearch.cgi?f=ShowDetail&ispid=115&city=Winnipeg&busper=P&serv_type=ALL&prov=MB

That dry loop/dsl look good for the price.

There are more then a few of those in the peg.

It's capped, so gently caress them, I refuse to support the practice anymore.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

StealthArcher posted:

It's capped, so gently caress them, I refuse to support the practice anymore.

Okay well these guys have uncapped.

http://www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/ispsearch.cgi?f=ShowDetail&ispid=67&city=Winnipeg&busper=P&serv_type=ALL&prov=MB

That dry loop is a really good deal if thats a true 5mbit.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sprawl posted:

Okay well these guys have uncapped.

http://www.canadianisp.ca/cgi-bin/ispsearch.cgi?f=ShowDetail&ispid=67&city=Winnipeg&busper=P&serv_type=ALL&prov=MB

That dry loop is a really good deal if thats a true 5mbit.

Okay, no offense, but do you look at these providers before you reccomend them? It says right on their own website on the DSL page:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Woohoo! Teksavvy cable is in the Ottawa area now! Now I just need to buy a modem, a router, and get prepared for 2 weeks without internet as Rogers will inevitably gently caress up when it comes to properly disconnecting me.

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

kuddles posted:

Woohoo! Teksavvy cable is in the Ottawa area now! Now I just need to buy a modem, a router, and get prepared for 2 weeks without internet as Rogers will inevitably gently caress up when it comes to properly disconnecting me.

I hope your neighbours like you.

Man, I hate comparing Bell favourably to anyone, but man does Rogers suck. I recently switched back to Rogers and did a major update to my Dropbox account. I love how Rogers vindictively slows your download speeds to a crawl when you're uploading at 100 kbps.

Also, it looks as though the Pirate Party VPN is already up:
http://www.ostra.ca/

Edit: Wait, that's just a pre-order page.

Vergeh fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 9, 2011

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Just got a Shaw mailer for a pretty good deal,

Extreme Internet (25/2.5 Mbps)
Basic cable w HD channels & HDPVR
$36/month for 6 months

Except that it's got a sweet sweet 100GB monthly cap on the internet. What to do...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What is their overage policy? Capped fee, or open ended at like $10/mb?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Martytoof posted:

What is their overage policy? Capped fee, or open ended at like $10/mb?

I'm trying to phone to get some details, but the number on the flyer is down, the contact section of the website is down, and the google cached tech support number is 'experiencing higher than expected call volumes."

Maybe everyone else just checked their mail ten minutes ago too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah. Definitely find out. We're on a 60gb/mo Cogeco plan, but our overages are capped at $35 or something. We haven't been cut off yet. So for the price difference of $30 which effectively would buy us the next tier up (120gb/mo) we get a virtually unlimited connection.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Just finally got through, was 1 of the only 2 agents I've ever had answer my calls to Shaw over the past couple years which is crazy haha... used to be a Shaw customer, on and off, have switched back and forth for deals etc. Must only be the two sales reps in their call centre over in Calgary lol.

Her story was that Shaw does not currently charge for overages, since they are not allowed by the CRTC to do so. If you go over your monthly allowance for 3 consecutive months, they will mail you a letter (not sure if email or post, who cares) to let you know and offer the chance to upgrade to a higher internet package. If you keep going over without upgrading they will possibly eventually suspend your account.

The offer I mentioned above comes with 3 digital boxes, one of which is HD with PVR.
Promo code 979 if anyone else is interested.

I will probably switch from the only other game in town, which I'm currently getting pretty gouged by, unless I can figure out how to get America Netflix and its Disney channel shows for my kid :argh:, in which case gently caress Shaw and their future-UBB.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the next higher tier, just out of curiosity?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

What's the next higher tier, just out of curiosity?

50/3 [175gb cap]

+$67/month. :laffo: ($97 in a bundle)

Junubee
Feb 24, 2004

Cut it out, the players don't want to hear my problems.

StealthArcher posted:

MTS doesn't have a literal cap, just a suggestive one, and it works well. I've been using them for years.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Junubee posted:

MTS doesn't have a literal cap, just a suggestive one, and it works well. I've been using them for years.

Wtf I didn't realize that... just checked and they have the exact same package levels as Shaw. Sucks not having any other options.

StealthArcher, I'm pretty sure Shaw offers some sort of $15 internet deal for students. If you're in res though I'm pretty sure you don't have any choice.
U of M campus internet is actually pretty awesome. Free wifi all over campus with good speeds. You shouldn't have any problems.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
OMG Teksavvy Cable is finally available in Thornhill! Calling them just to be sure and switching from Rogers today :woop:

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
Got a disconnect notice from Bell today over $40. My dad - it's under his name - called and told Bell to shove it up their rear end. He, then, of course, ended up being talked into a slightly cheaper deal with now means we're on a contract and also do not have grandfathered unlimited plan.

I've explained twice that TekSavvy would've been half the price for phone & internet that we were paying, and we would have gotten 300gb/mo bandwidth cap instead of this 145gb bullshit we've apparently agreed to.

Jesus loving christ. :downsbravo:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Well, cancelled with Rogers and transferring over to Teksavvy Cable on June 10th. I'm hoping the service is good because while in the long run it's certainly going to be cheaper, buying a new modem and router will be quite the sting if I end up dissatisfied.

I will slightly miss the addictive 25 Mbps speed (nothing sweeter than renting an HD movie off PSN and the entire thing being downloaded about half an hour later), but I certainly won't miss the pain of constantly checking my usage meter to see if I can "afford" to download something, lest I get a surprise overage charge at $1.50 per gig at the end of the month.

The Rogers lady asked why I was leaving and I just said "leaving for a 3rd party provider without stringent caps and punitive fees". She didn't seem to bother trying any retention tactics on me after that.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 11, 2011

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

kuddles posted:

I will slightly miss the addictive 25 Mbps speed (nothing sweeter than renting an HD movie off PSN and the entire thing being downloaded about half an hour later), but I certainly won't miss the pain of constantly checking my usage meter to see if I can "afford" to download something, lest I get a surprise overage charge at $1.50 per gig at the end of the month.

You know it's bad when the actual download of a Steam game costs more than what you paid for the game itself. I have a huge game backlog simply because I can't download them without paying massive overage charges.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

kuddles posted:

Well, cancelled with Rogers and transferring over to Teksavvy Cable on June 10th. I'm hoping the service is good because while in the long run it's certainly going to be cheaper, buying a new modem and router will be quite the sting if I end up dissatisfied.

The Rogers lady asked why I was leaving and I just said "leaving for a 3rd party provider without stringent caps and punitive fees". She didn't seem to bother trying any retention tactics on me after that.
Double check your teksavvy speeds. Out in BC on shaw they just bumped the 15mbps plan up to 25mbps and that affected Teksavvy too. So, same prices but faster for everyone, woo!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Did anyone else's Telus bill go up this month?

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

drcru posted:

Did anyone else's Telus bill go up this month?

Yea it looks like they did something loving shady as poo poo.

They upped the month charges for Optik high speed services $2 and added a back dated charge for last month on this months bill and did a $3 charge for their "essentials" optik tv charge.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Sprawl posted:

Yea it looks like they did something loving shady as poo poo.

They upped the month charges for Optik high speed services $2 and added a back dated charge for last month on this months bill and did a $3 charge for their "essentials" optik tv charge.

I don't even have Optik TV, they charged me an extra $1.30+ and then my bill did look higher too. I usually only pay ~$80/month for homephone and 15MB/1MB (which really only gets 12/0.4..) but this month it was ~$85.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

drcru posted:

I don't even have Optik TV, they charged me an extra $1.30+ and then my bill did look higher too. I usually only pay ~$80/month for homephone and 15MB/1MB (which really only gets 12/0.4..) but this month it was ~$85.

Login you the telus.com website and look at your current bill internet price.

see if there is a charge like that and then click up top and click previous bill and see if the base price for the service is different.

Sprawl fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 11, 2011

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Sprawl posted:

Login you the telus.com website and look at your current bill internet price.

see if there is a charge like that and then click up top and click previous bill and see if the base price for the service is different.

Apparently I don't have an account on their website, the extra dollar and change was added on to last months cycle like yours though. I'll try to check the site later but, from my bill, it looks like they did charge me $3-4 more. Wonderful.

No mention of bandwidth overuse either and my router still reports us as being under the quota.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kuddles posted:

This is me in a nutshell as well. June 8th is my install date. Can't wait, and frankly losing 10Mbps is nothing compared to the ~$70 I'll be saving each month. I have a very heavy bandwidth using household. Between my wife and myself we use on average 400GB/month. Hulu, Netflix, Steam games, etc add up really fast, especially when you've completely ditched cable/sat TV.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Stanley Pain posted:

OMG Teksavvy Cable is finally available in Thornhill! Calling them just to be sure and switching from Rogers today :woop:
Are their POIs finally up to snuff yet? I keep seeing comments on DSL reports suggesting that Rogers has been dragging their rear end on installing those upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Nomenklatura posted:

Are their POIs finally up to snuff yet? I keep seeing comments on DSL reports suggesting that Rogers has been dragging their rear end on installing those upgrades.

I believe most of them have been upgraded at this point. Theres a few that haven't but they're being good about stopping new sign ups for those POIs