Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

thegasman2000 posted:

What do you need it for, and what service can you provide in exchange? :)

I'll extend this offer as well. What do you actually need?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
A bunch of random crap, an html/css design testbed, a place to put my lovely game when it's done. Nothing very interesting and certainly nothing worth bothering someone in particular for. I have had two free hosts in the past; one went down without warning, the other suspended me because I re-hosted some GBS story with readable formatting (it only existed as a text file or some such), because it had 'adult language'. I was just curious if anyone could vouch for a free host that's unlikely to shut down and doesn't have draconian automatically-enforced non-appealable content policies. Probably too much to hope for.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Seven Round Things posted:

A bunch of random crap, an html/css design testbed, a place to put my lovely game when it's done. Nothing very interesting and certainly nothing worth bothering someone in particular for. I have had two free hosts in the past; one went down without warning, the other suspended me because I re-hosted some GBS story with readable formatting (it only existed as a text file or some such), because it had 'adult language'. I was just curious if anyone could vouch for a free host that's unlikely to shut down and doesn't have draconian automatically-enforced non-appealable content policies. Probably too much to hope for.
Give http://www.alwaysdata.com a try, your disk/bandwidth is extremely low though.

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.

angryhampster posted:

So apparently my troubles with Nixihost are not over with. This morning I was charged for another year of hosting with them AFTER I'd requested them to close my account. They responded yesterday with 'we can keep you on board for only six bucks, wanna stay?' Of course I responded no, please cancel the account.

Filing a dispute via paypal right now. The reason I'm posting publicly is because it seems to be the most effective way of getting through to anyone at Nixi.

If anyone on here expects good customer service, reliability, and speedy ticket responses, steer clear of nixihost.

e: They also charged me $10 more than my invoice stated. What a crock of poo poo.

I've hosted my moderately sized forum (1300 or so members) with nixi for probably 17 months at least, and I've yet to have any troubles besides a little downtime.

Sorry your experience isn't the same, but from what it sounds like the charge issue was your fault, no reason to get pissy and post online about it.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

R1CH posted:

CNAMES are not a convenience feature to avoid typing in IPs.

Did I ever say they were? I guess you like having 800 A records for every subdomain since there's no chance the IP for the server will ever change for any reason right?

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

orphean posted:

Did I ever say they were? I guess you like having 800 A records for every subdomain since there's no chance the IP for the server will ever change for any reason right?

:%s/1.1.1.1/2.2.2.2/ vs. having your resolver make two hits to the DNS servers.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

In retrospect, the charge issue was my fault and I do apologize for being so blunt about nixi on here before taking the time to look into the root of the "problem."

Their hosting is reasonably priced and for the majority of my stay with them, they were a good host. My main issue was the lack of viable communication routes.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

thegasman2000 posted:

yeah I installed the app and when you add a server to monitor you get an "execute on server fail"
That's so if you're running it on the server itself, you can execute a command to restart your web server's service. If you're not running it on the server itself, or if you don't have a way to send a command via SSH or something, you could alternatively use it to execute a command or run a script that will notify you in a different way than email, like dialing a number.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I've been with Dreamhost for a while now and I'm pretty happy with their shared hosting service. Lately though my site has been getting around 1500 hits a day but uses around 5.6gb a day. It may be unrelated but the site in question as well as the other sites on this same shared hosting account has become pretty unstable of late and I'm wondering whether the traffic on this site could be a contributing factor?

At what point does it make sense to move into VPS hosting, or dedicated hosting? I don't want to pay for something I don't need, but I also don't want this one site crippling the others (if that's even what's happening).

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Gnack posted:

I've been with Dreamhost for a while now and I'm pretty happy with their shared hosting service. Lately though my site has been getting around 1500 hits a day but uses around 5.6gb a day. It may be unrelated but the site in question as well as the other sites on this same shared hosting account has become pretty unstable of late and I'm wondering whether the traffic on this site could be a contributing factor?

At what point does it make sense to move into VPS hosting, or dedicated hosting? I don't want to pay for something I don't need, but I also don't want this one site crippling the others (if that's even what's happening).

~170GB/mo is practically nothing. Any decent shared host should be more than able to easily handle that much traffic (assuming your account is rated for that amount of transfer). DreamHost isn't a decent shared host, though.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

optikalus posted:

~170GB/mo is practically nothing. Any decent shared host should be more than able to easily handle that much traffic (assuming your account is rated for that amount of transfer). DreamHost isn't a decent shared host, though.

This is kind of where I was heading with my query - should I be moving elsewhere? I figured that didn't seem like a lot of traffic so I was a little bit surprised...

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Gnack posted:

This is kind of where I was heading with my query - should I be moving elsewhere? I figured that didn't seem like a lot of traffic so I was a little bit surprised...

Sounds like it might be time to move on. IIRC Dreamhost is one of those companies that does some pretty heavy overselling in order to maintain their low prices, so while you alone probably aren't causing the issue, you and 3-5 moderately heavy users on your server could be causing it.

You could probably find some stable, good-performance hosts in SA-Mart that don't charge a lot for basic packages, but their bandwidth cap is not going to be "Unlimited" (which I doubt Dreamhost actually is, but it looks like they don't have any problems with your usage so far.

If you think heavy DB usage might be the problem, you could rent a low-bandwidth shared hosting account from another provider and host all your DB/script stuff there and just use the Dreamhost account for pushing out static content. However, if that content your site contains is a lot of small files/images/whatever it could just be that the server can't keep up with all the requests it is getting, in which case you might have to look at a VPS and/or optimizing your site.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Gnack posted:

Before you go through the trouble of dumping Dreamhost have you tried optimizing your site with CSS sprites, combing CSS/javascript files etc? Run your site through http://slowcop.com/ and see if you can nab some low hanging fruit.

If your site continues to grow this is stuff you'll want to do anyway and it is a lot easier to take care of now rather than later.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, out of all the "oversold to death unlimited" hosts (such as justhost, bluehost, hostmonster,etc), Dreamhost is leaps and bounds far above all of them...

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

Give http://www.alwaysdata.com a try, your disk/bandwidth is extremely low though.
Wow, this is very nice! You're not kidding about the limits, but it should be okay for what I need it for. :)

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Biowarfare posted:

To be fair, out of all the "oversold to death unlimited" hosts (such as justhost, bluehost, hostmonster,etc), Dreamhost is leaps and bounds far above all of them...

"I wanna be a Dreamhost Girl"

Is GoDaddy bad at hosting? I don't think I'd ever host with them but I always hear absolutely terrible things about their domain name policies, yet never any mention of good/bad service. I always assumed they were probably the worst of the worst.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

ClosedBSD posted:

"I wanna be a Dreamhost Girl"

Is GoDaddy bad at hosting? I don't think I'd ever host with them but I always hear absolutely terrible things about their domain name policies, yet never any mention of good/bad service. I always assumed they were probably the worst of the worst.

Godaddy is awesome at hosting if you like having less uptime and slower speeds than hosting it at home off a dialup line, possibly on a C64.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Biowarfare posted:

Godaddy is awesome at hosting if you like having less uptime and slower speeds than hosting it at home off a dialup line, possibly on a C64.

They'll even shoot an elephant for you!

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

Yawn, I'm no shill, and I appreciate the smaller companies with better CS, but GD is one of the largest, if not the largest host on the planet. Did they get there by offering crappy service at outrageous prices? Maybe they, like McDonalds, offer a service that is what 90% of the users need at the lowest price.

Mind you, my experience with them is mostly with VPS services and DNs, but I don't have any real complaints for the price. I don't doubt that better services exist, but I have not found any that are considered 'good' that even approach the price GD offers.

I would love to see an analysis of GD vs. other hosts where quantitative metrics of service quality/speed/etc. were compared with price.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Is anyone here colocating at PhoenixNAP (or even using a web host that is)? I need to throw some servers into a local datacenter and I'm wondering if their walk is as good as their talk.

It's probably a long shot asking here, but WHT's been largely inaccessible for me for a couple days.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

B-Nasty posted:

I would love to see an analysis of GD vs. other hosts where quantitative metrics of service quality/speed/etc. were compared with price.

It'd be hard to measure a shared host of that size. You'd have to get multiple accounts on different servers, and show averages and high/low. You could get an account on a busy server and have it smoked by one on a mostly idle server.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Molten Llama posted:

Is anyone here colocating at PhoenixNAP (or even using a web host that is)? I need to throw some servers into a local datacenter and I'm wondering if their walk is as good as their talk.

It's probably a long shot asking here, but WHT's been largely inaccessible for me for a couple days.

I have a cheap box @ securedservers which I think is a subsidiary or something, never had a problem with that

SpazRobot
Dec 21, 2004
I am Nomad.

Gnack posted:

Would you mind posting your domain here? I can take a closer look for you.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Does anyone have any experience with configuring an FTP app like FileZilla for use with a wireless router? I'm have a hell of a time getting FileZilla to work. I've checked every online resource, called Belkin (router manufacturer), and nothing's working. I realize that Wireless Routers can cause problems when it comes to configuring an FTP and it involves Port Forwarding but I'm really lost on what exactly needs to be done.

Is it my router? Are there any particular routers out there that work best with FTPs?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 2, 2011

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

melon cat posted:

Does anyone have any experience with configuring an FTP app like FileZilla for use with a wireless router? I'm have a hell of a time getting FileZilla to work. I've checked every online resource, called Belkin (router manufacturer), and nothing's working. I realize that Wireless Routers can cause problems when it comes to configuring an FTP and it involves Port Forwarding but I'm really lost on what exactly needs to be done.

Is it my router? Are there any particular routers out there that work best with FTPs?

All you have to do is forward port 21. http://portforward.com/ will tell you how - just find your router model and then select FTP on the applications page (if you see a message about PFconfig, hit "skip this advertisement" in the top right corner).

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Fangs404 posted:

All you have to do is forward port 21. http://portforward.com/ will tell you how - just find your router model and then select FTP on the applications page (if you see a message about PFconfig, hit "skip this advertisement" in the top right corner).

that's if he wants to run an ftp server on his home computer which is accessible from outside (it's port 21 at the server end, not the client end)

the easiest solution is to use passive mode if the ftp server you're trying to connect to supports it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol#NAT_and_firewall_traversal

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
I have a personal wordpress blog/site hosted at Acenet and my 3 year renewal is coming up. The package I'm using was cheap when I first started the site about 6 years ago, but it would cost me ~$40/yr for 5gb space and 33gb bandwidth but I'm using next to nothing of either, with no plans to expand beyond simple blogging. The host uptime and support is good but occasionally my site can run pretty slowly because it's shared.

I'd like to transfer all my data and cpanel setup and stuff but I have absolutely no idea how I'd go about this (and I only have a few days before they'll want to charge me). I want to think it would be as simple as downloading all my wordpress data, but I remember there being some cpanel/ftp configuration needed. edit: seems like cpanels can talk to each other on different hosts?

Would the goon run hosts in the op do the job, for example the $10 hosting on Lithium? My site uses a paltry 150mb disk space, and the 30gb bandwith Lithium offers would easily do me. I'm not sure if my Wordpress site needed anything special. Mostly I just tinker around with the cpanel, use FTP access to store things, and use a few custom email addresses.

edit: found the Lithium thread, signed up, above not necessary now but I'll leave it up there anyway.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 3, 2011

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Harmonica posted:

:words:

Submit a ticket @ Lithium Hosting to have your account transferred from your old host, you don't accept PMs and I don't know which hosting account is yours or I would contact you in a different way.

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Has anyone here started a small webhosting reseller to supplement a web design business? It seems for the types of sites I've done for people recently even a hostgator reseller account would be sufficient for performance and bandwidth. I would also be open to getting a VPS to manage myself. I know a lot of people go into running a webhost thinking it will print money or will be easy, I'm at least not that bad but I'd like some real world talk on the subject. Any resources you might know of on the topic would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

coinstarpatrick posted:

I would also be open to getting a VPS to manage myself. I know a lot of people go into running a webhost thinking it will print money or will be easy, I'm at least not that bad but I'd like some real world talk on the subject. Any resources you might know of on the topic would be appreciated. Thanks.

You don't want to be a 24/7 sysadmin, which you'll end up being if you get an un-managed VPS/dedicated server. If you get a managed one, you'll just be poor.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Bob Morales posted:

You don't want to be a 24/7 sysadmin, which you'll end up being if you get an un-managed VPS/dedicated server. If you get a managed one, you'll just be poor.

Pretty much this.

I have a reseller account, and bill my clients $240 per year for website hosting/minor modifications.

YMMV.

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn

eightysixed posted:

Pretty much this.

I have a reseller account, and bill my clients $240 per year for website hosting/minor modifications.

YMMV.

If you don't mind, who are you using for a reseller account and what has your experience been? Does it involve a preconfigured Cpanel? Thanks.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

coinstarpatrick posted:

If you don't mind, who are you using for a reseller account and what has your experience been? Does it involve a preconfigured Cpanel? Thanks.

I use InnoHosting.

They're not the cheapest of reseller hosts, but their service is fantastic. Their support response SLA is 30 minutes, but usually they're answered quicker than that.

In addition their non-24/7/365 deparments (like Sales, Billing) usually end up surprising me and replying anyways, outside business hours. (I assume this is because they have services in both the US and the UK, so it's probably their UK sales team responding to me when I open a ticket at 3am :haw:)

They also offer some nice services that other reseller hosts don't, such as end-user support. (You can pipe your support ticket system into theirs, and their techs will answer tickets from your cients transparently as if they were your own)

That particular service is really useful, as you can offer your clients the same 24/7/365 tech support without having to have a staff of your own.

They'll also give you ClientExec or WHMCS to automate the billing of your clients.

Another Goon in the thread went with them after my recommendation, perhaps if they're still visiting the thread they could comment.

Their website is InnoHosting.com. If you want to be nice you could use this link to go there. They offer some sort of bonus if you refer a client to them. (I'll admit I don't know what exactly the bonus is, but the link is in my billing panel.)

micropenis
Jul 19, 2004
An '04 Mac user from the UK. What's worse?
InnoHosting is the poo poo.

I'm not with them anymore because I had to cut back on a few luxuries and didn't have as many sites as i thought warranted a reseller account.

Listen to less than three - you get your moneys worth, you know you are dealing with "humans" unlike somewhere like GoDaddy or HostGator which I imagine send templated responses to every question..

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair most of godaddy's support tickets probably consist of "can i gently caress danica if i give you guys my credit card"

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Question about Hosting and Domain Names- I've been told that it's not a good idea to have your domain + hosting under the same company. instead, they should be kept separate. Any truth to this? I'm only asking because I currently use Namecheap for both purposes and now I'm being told it's not a good idea.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 8, 2011

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

melon cat posted:

Question about Hosting and Domain Names- I've been told that it's not a good idea to have your domain + hosting under the same company. instead, they should be kept separate. Any truth to this? I'm only asking because I currently use Namecheap for both purposes and now I'm being told it's not a good idea.

I believe in it.

I keep my domains with a standard domain registrar, seperate from my hosting account.

It prevents the issue from a host stealing/sitting on your domain names in the event of a conflict.

See: The Goon vs. Hytek hosting earlier in the thread.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

coinstarpatrick posted:

Just to throw my experience in... I am with Goon-run Bounceweb (50% off) and the service and support has been great. All the sites I build I host myself as its extra money and ease of changes etc...

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

SpazRobot posted:

Would you mind posting your domain here? I can take a closer look for you.

I might do this after I've tried a few optimisation things. It seems unlikely that it's an optomisation issue though as the sites (all four of my domains) seem to either time out completely, or load perfectly fine - there's no in-between where it loads, but loads slowly. So I feel like something is screwy there somewhere. I'll admit I don't know a lot about running servers, though, so maybe it is something one of the domains is doing that's making the server fall over.

Edit: In case it's relevant, someone mentioned the difference between a few large files being loaded, and lots of small ones. In this case it's a site for Minecraft mods, so there are a lot of files being downloaded presumably and they are all quite small in size (200kb - 500kb).

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divio is hax
Feb 5, 2005
hax hax
Does anyone have any experience with the VPS hosting in the first post? I'm having difficulty understanding how the prices are determined. For example vps hosting like myhosting.com and vpsland.com are incredibly cheap - even when considering their windows server 2008 options... almost too cheap to be true. $20-30 prices for base packages. That is half what most everyone else charges. How are they getting away with this and what features would I be losing.

Edit: Does anyone know of a reputable VPS hosting review site or forum that specializes in this stuff?

divio is hax fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 16, 2011