Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceReflex
May 4, 2010

Bloopsy posted:

Just put on your local Top 40 station and play whatever has a copious amount of autotune in it.

Yep, every single time I look up what my roommates are partying to it's in the top 40 pop, urban or club list. Just get a couple of "April 2011 Billboard charts" mixes.

Tip: For maximum crowd response, increase volume and/or rewind anything with an excessive amount of Autotune on verses (entirely Autotune-free verses are no longer available), or anything that is 100% hook.

New Mistah FAB mixtape is out! http://rapradar.com/2011/05/05/new-mixtape-mistah-f-a-b-the-grind-is-a-terrible-thing-to-waste-pt-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn
actually a nifty trick assuming your friends are 18-24 and the type that only wanna hear stuff they already know (they are, let's be honest) is to just play popular stuff from 2000-2006 or so. They'll have a bunch of nostalgia for the poo poo they used to hear on the radio when they were 13 and you can cherry pick to take your party from:

gangsta poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjDdzWZxDwc

to smoothed out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6y_4_b6RS8

to downright nasty (honorable mention to the Ying Yang Twins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qld7WvHa5kc

or anywhere in between as you please

e: hahaha I forgot how goofy the clean/video edit of Play is "work them hips, RUN girl"

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It's the remix to Ignition
Hot and fresh out the kitchen
Momma rollin that body
Got every man that she wishin
Sippin on coke and rum
I'm like so what I'm drunk
It's the freakin weekend baby
I'm about to have me some fun

Is it sad that I know every word to this song that I haven't heard since middle school and never liked in the first place?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NDDorQ4G2w

Chamillionaire, Royce Da 5'9, and Eminem of Cham's latest mixtape.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
Honestly if I was having a party and could only play rap I'd just put on Curren$y and Wiz Khalifa and Young Money poo poo... totally depending on whos gonna be there, of course. Basically the idea of any party is to play music that guys are gonna enjoy listening too (like jock mock said) and that girls can get slutty to.

I had a party last week, but I just let the girls play whatever they wanted on Youtube because we all took a bunch of molly and alcohol and got naked. I hope yours goes well too!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

stormrider posted:

First new track "Fast Lane"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI8KEkqLBzI

No complaints here.

Late to the party, but: :rock: Can't wait for more of this.

Unrelated Is there another We Got It 4 Cheap coming out? I think I heard Malice, Pusha and RUG all had mixtapes coming out this year. Who the gently caress knows...

SpaceReflex
May 4, 2010
Fast Lane video already struck down from YT, any other links?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

SpaceReflex posted:

Fast Lane video already struck down from YT, any other links?

Two posts above yours has a working youtube link.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

RCarr posted:

Is it sad that I know every word to this song that I haven't heard since middle school and never liked in the first place?

no but it is kinda sad that you never liked Ignition (Remix)! Do you not like fun?

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

oh yeah by the way the first Gangsta Gibbs/Jeezy the Snowman collab track "Stripes (Run D MC)" is pretty dope(man music), not really the kind of beat Gibbs usually goes for but I honestly think he could sound good over anything

on a related note "Queen" is one of my fave story rapps over the last couple years. Just listened to it again and the last verse still gives me chills, drat

e: "Way 2 Fast" is pretty drat good too. Rappers should care about poo poo more, we'd get less lovely music like what Noz was calling "regular dude rap" the other day (I'm looking at you Wiz)

Jock Mocken fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 7, 2011

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jock Mocken posted:

e: "Way 2 Fast" is pretty drat good too. Rappers should care about poo poo more, we'd get less lovely music like what Noz was calling "regular dude rap" the other day (I'm looking at you Wiz)

I read his whole thing about that, and tbh it just seemed like something he made up to describe poo poo he doesn't like. Almost like a reverse "no true Scotsman" argument. Like people would mention "regular dude rappers" who fit his criteria but his rebuttal would just be something like "nah, he's a good rapper so he can't be a regular dude!" even if it was someone who rapped about the same poo poo he derided (I remember Devin the Dude was mentioned as one). Like, most of the Native Tongues would've been regular dudes, Pharcyde was 2 regular dudes and one crazy regular dude, the entirety of Hiero, etc. You could make an argument for early Mobb being "regular dudes" except they were regular dudes who were caught up in serious poo poo On Infamous Prodigy even talks about just being an ordinary guy, not a superman or w/e (which is really funny when compared to his solo work but w/e). And that's ignoring all the rhymesayers/anticon type "emo" poo poo.

Like he talked about escaping mediocrity being a defining goal, but I think he really ignored the ability some people have to celebrate the ordinary. I mean it's one thing to get to live out your drug kinpin fantasies listening to Ghost, but it's still valuable to hear someone rap about poo poo you do and make it not seem like some depressing grind. Or give voice to the fact that it is a depressing grind, but let you know other people going through the same poo poo. Ice Cube's "Good Day" was a song about just having a regular day and being a regular dude, and that it was a good thing to not have to be some mega-gangsta, and I don't think the song suffers for that. Really I think there's just a certain group of rappers he doesn't like and tried to think of some common thread to tie them together as something more, instead of just being like "yeah I don't like rapper X and MC Y".

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 7, 2011

glorp
Dec 12, 2004

by T. Butt
This mixtape came out a couple months ago... I can't remember if any of yall posted it. One of the best groups out of Dallas, A.dd+ with their single produced by PicnicTyme featuring Brown from Sore Losers (if you're a Dallas hiphop fan you know all these people are monsters) Like A Mug

SpaceReflex
May 4, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

Two posts above yours has a working youtube link.

My bad, I guess it's region specific. Black screen with copyright info for me, no video.

A.Dd+ is fresh! Thanks for the heads up.

SpaceReflex fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 7, 2011

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

the new killer mike mixtape is dope http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/13752/killer_mike_bang_x3.html

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

alansmithee posted:

I read his whole thing about that, and tbh it just seemed like something he made up to describe poo poo he doesn't like. Almost like a reverse "no true Scotsman" argument. Like people would mention "regular dude rappers" who fit his criteria but his rebuttal would just be something like "nah, he's a good rapper so he can't be a regular dude!" even if it was someone who rapped about the same poo poo he derided (I remember Devin the Dude was mentioned as one). Like, most of the Native Tongues would've been regular dudes, Pharcyde was 2 regular dudes and one crazy regular dude, the entirety of Hiero, etc. You could make an argument for early Mobb being "regular dudes" except they were regular dudes who were caught up in serious poo poo On Infamous Prodigy even talks about just being an ordinary guy, not a superman or w/e (which is really funny when compared to his solo work but w/e). And that's ignoring all the rhymesayers/anticon type "emo" poo poo.

Like he talked about escaping mediocrity being a defining goal, but I think he really ignored the ability some people have to celebrate the ordinary. I mean it's one thing to get to live out your drug kinpin fantasies listening to Ghost, but it's still valuable to hear someone rap about poo poo you do and make it not seem like some depressing grind. Or give voice to the fact that it is a depressing grind, but let you know other people going through the same poo poo. Ice Cube's "Good Day" was a song about just having a regular day and being a regular dude, and that it was a good thing to not have to be some mega-gangsta, and I don't think the song suffers for that. Really I think there's just a certain group of rappers he doesn't like and tried to think of some common thread to tie them together as something more, instead of just being like "yeah I don't like rapper X and MC Y".

yeah I agree that it wasn't a terribly well-thought-out label but I thought it was shots fired at the recent trend over the last few years of really boring raps about weed and shoes from dudes who don't even sound that interested themselves, especially since Noz has complained in the past about too many dudes trying to be Jay-Z and trying really hard to sound like they're not trying hard.

Personally I don't mind hearing someone rap about material poo poo as long as it's interesting (Gucci, Dro, old Chamillionaire) but I'd rather hear Gibbs on some Art of Storytellin/Brenda's Got A Baby poo poo than hear about the last huge blunt of kush that Wiz Khalifa smoked

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

glorp posted:

This mixtape came out a couple months ago... I can't remember if any of yall posted it. One of the best groups out of Dallas, A.dd+ with their single produced by PicnicTyme featuring Brown from Sore Losers (if you're a Dallas hiphop fan you know all these people are monsters) Like A Mug

Can't believe I haven't heard of these guys right here in my hometown. I've been waiting for some decent post-Mr. Lucci Dallas artist. Who else should I be aware of because I don't hear this on the radio?...when I rarely turn it on.

EDIT: Spoke to soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itI-wWR5MaM

John Brown fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 7, 2011

Super Lazy
Feb 23, 2006

...You ain't even in my clasa
So did everybody forget about the GBC?

New poo poo from Scoop and Ryu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH5znWezh6s[NSFW]

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Joe Budden - Spring Training

Joe is back in his diss phase, this time going at Canibus and Arsenal (yes the battle rapper from GT).

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

vanbags posted:

Joe Budden - Spring Training

Joe is back in his diss phase, this time going at Canibus and Arsenal (yes the battle rapper from GT).

Canibus already ate a niggas rear end once Joey wants it again?

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Chade Johnson posted:

Canibus already ate a niggas rear end once Joey wants it again?
Canibus lost his privilege to diss anyone after Eminem's "Can-I-Bitch"

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Super Lazy posted:

So did everybody forget about the GBC?

New poo poo from Scoop and Ryu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH5znWezh6s[NSFW]

im pretty much the only other one in here who cares and i didnt forget ive just been too lazy to type all those letters in google and see whats up with the new album

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I'll just preface this by saying Gambino is the first hip hop artist who has ever appealed to me. My tastes generally stem from roots or experimental music, but a soon as I heard The Real I loved it, mostly because of the backing track because I was big into Sleigh Bells at the time, but after each listen I liked the lyrics more and more. Listening to I am Just a Rapper 1 and 2 was the first time I'd felt I could relate to a rapper or hip hop artist as a person as a member of their audience.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
~*~OOPS~*~

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

caveman thug poo poo posted:

im pretty much the only other one in here who cares and i didnt forget ive just been too lazy to type all those letters in google and see whats up with the new album

hey I care too but I'm guilty as hell of not checking for dudes ever so quit being a drat lazybones and post that poo poo up in here so we don't have to talk about Joe Budden

rear end Catchcum posted:

I'll just preface this by saying Gambino is the first hip hop artist who has ever appealed to me. My tastes generally stem from roots or experimental music, but a soon as I heard The Real I loved it, mostly because of the backing track because I was big into Sleigh Bells at the time, but after each listen I liked the lyrics more and more. Listening to I am Just a Rapper 1 and 2 was the first time I'd felt I could relate to a rapper or hip hop artist as a person as a member of their audience.

Welcome to hip-hop! There is also a Don Glover thread in NMD but I assume you're here to find some real rappers you might like. Please refer to the OP for suggestions on how to do that but real talk I just listened to some of his poo poo for the first time and his flow sounds like a hybrid of Drake and recent vintage Lil Wayne so check out some Young Money poo poo I guess? Also want to point out that Killer Mike had a much better yellabone line with just "Zulu Lucy Liu in my ride" versus that goofy Black & Yellow reference in Freaks and Geeks

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
I posted this in the recommendation thread, but I figured I could get a better response in here.

So I stopped keeping up with new rap releases when my internet died out in the summer of 09 and I totally realized its been so long that I don't know what I've missed and I don't know where to start. I think the newest releases I've heard were the last couple Rick Ross albums (which I liked a lot), UGK 4 Lyfe (it wasn't so good), and the Burrprint 2 (it was ok).

FWIW I don't like any based, college weed raps (Wiz Khalifa and poo poo) or Wolf Gang related stuff. One of the few newer things that caught my attention was Lex Luger, his songs for Rick Ross were sick. I also kind of like trap poo poo, but sometimes it ain't enough for me.

Old poo poo I dig (if it helps at all): 80s and 90s southern poo poo (bass music, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans and Atlanta not as much) and all the obvious poo poo. DJ Paul and Juicy J are my heroes, production wise.

So what are like 5 essential releases from the last 2 years I should check out? The amount of mixtapes I missed is huge and I can't tackle that with out some direction.

farmtrill posted:

the new killer mike mixtape is dope http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/13752/killer_mike_bang_x3.html

Well poo poo I'll start with that. I loved Pledge Allegiance to the Grind

The Doo Do Chasers fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 8, 2011

Roymega
Oct 10, 2004

-crickets-
Whoever recommended the new Self-Scientific EP a couple pages ago (I think it was this thread?), thank you. Shits on repeat.

On an unrelated note, Pusha T - I Still Wanna Rock [feat. Rick Ross & Ab-Liva] is such a sick song... "You know what fame is? Sittin' with the woman of your dreams and forgettin' what her name is/You know what pain is? Flushin' two bricks and tryna have a n-gga strain it out the drainage"

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

I posted this in the recommendation thread, but I figured I could get a better response in here.

So I stopped keeping up with new rap releases when my internet died out in the summer of 09 and I totally realized its been so long that I don't know what I've missed and I don't know where to start. I think the newest releases I've heard were the last couple Rick Ross albums (which I liked a lot), UGK 4 Lyfe (it wasn't so good), and the Burrprint 2 (it was ok).

FWIW I don't like any based, college weed raps (Wiz Khalifa and poo poo) or Wolf Gang related stuff. One of the few newer things that caught my attention was Lex Luger, his songs for Rick Ross were sick. I also kind of like trap poo poo, but sometimes it ain't enough for me.

Old poo poo I dig (if it helps at all): 80s and 90s southern poo poo (bass music, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans and Atlanta not as much) and all the obvious poo poo. DJ Paul and Juicy J are my heroes, production wise.

So what are like 5 essential releases from the last 2 years I should check out? The amount of mixtapes I missed is huge and I can't tackle that with out some direction.

Big Krit-either album (only has 2, should be able to d/l both still)
Flockaveli
Fat Trel's last mixtape (Luger Beats)
Juicy J-Rubba Band Business 1&2. I hate those because the "rhyming" is junk but it's more of DAT NIGGA LEX LUGER so there's some redeeming value.

There's a bunch more poo poo that's good but there's a start. Also the ADD album people linked recently is really solid too but not sure it fits in with the other stuff you mentioned.

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

seconding the Rubba Band Business mixtapes. also check out Gunplay's Inglorious Bastard and Troy Ave's Bricks in my Backpack

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

glorp posted:

ya I posted it a while back but it got lost in some drama so im glad its getting some more shine, it's been on my ipod since it dropped. I keep changing my mind on favorite tracks but Southside is it at the moment

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Well poo poo I'll start with that. I loved Pledge Allegiance to the Grind

Trouble- December 17th
DJ Paul- To Kill Again

The Rising Suun
May 10, 2006

watch out I'm ornery

glorp posted:

Yeah. These guys do a good live show. I went to that New Texas show. Also I've been hearing about B L A C K I E for a minute, and that guy is nuts.

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

First things first, G-Side's The One... Cohesive is a contender for album of the year, so check that out. I think Huntsville International came out at the end of 2009, so get that and the leftovers if you dig One...

Second, I co-sign everything alansmithee said as well as that Gunplay tape, though if you missed Play Me Some Pimpin 2, I think that's a much better project than either of the Rubba Band Businesses. Of course, Project Pat has pretty much always been a better rapper than his brother.

As far as Gucci stuff goes, Burrprint 2 is one of his weaker efforts since it was put together from leftovers while he was in the joint. Gucci tapes to check for since mid 2009 or so off the top of my head: Movie 3D, Cold War series (could easily be condensed down to one really good disc though), Mr. Zone 6, Jewelry Selection, and The Gooch (unofficial tape, has a lot of good loosies on it). A lot of his best stuff from that period was guest verses though, anyone who bought one from him in 08 or 09 definitely got their money's worth.

Make sure to listen to at least Z-Ro's Cocaine. Heroin recycled a lot of songs but Blast Myself is amazing.

I've already talked about Starlito in this thread, but he's a got a new mixtape so I need to bring him up again anyway. If you just listen to one project from him, make it Renaissance Gangster. (btw alansmithee did you ever listen to that?)

There's a lot of other good poo poo like Big Boi, Playboy Tre, Yo Gotti, Rittz, Yelawolf, A.Leon Craft, Fat Tony, Field Mob, Roc Marciano, but this is already way more than you asked for so uhhh top 5:

G-Side - The One... Cohesive
Big KRIT - KRIT Wuz Here
Juicy J and Project Pat - Play Me Some Pimpin 2
Waka Flocka Flame - Flockaveli Chopped Not Slopped by DJ Lil Steve
Lil Boosie - Redemption

If you don't like Boosie, then get Field Mob - Brotha 2 Brotha

glorp
Dec 12, 2004

by T. Butt

The Rising Suun posted:

Yeah. These guys do a good live show. I went to that New Texas show. Also I've been hearing about B L A C K I E for a minute, and that guy is nuts.

poo poo you shoulda said whassup! i was sober so i would have remembered meeting you... i was the paki (as if it were hard to tell). also blackie has a pretty amusing concept but musically im not really a big fan. seems like a cool guy tho

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Chade Johnson posted:

Trouble- December 17th
DJ Paul- To Kill Again

Haha, when I googled the DJ Paul tape, the first suggestion was "DJ Paul arm". C'mon leave him alone, he's got a little arm so what. But yeah, thanks for all the recs I'm gonna listen to them tonight since I have zero things going on.

Another question, are any of the older, lesser known Memphis guys still doing anything good? Like Koopsta or Lil Gin or Skinny Pimp or any of those guys really. I know they all have post-Triple 6 releases that I've never heard, just curious if they're still alive.

I forgot about the last couple Z-Ro tapes, those were great, loved Crack and Cocaine. Fondren and Maine is probably the most psychedelic rap will ever get. The only tracks that fell flat for me were the RnB ones, like Gangsta Girls. Dude has an amazing voice, I'd figure those tracks would be better

The Doo Do Chasers fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 9, 2011

Chade Johnson
Oct 12, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Haha, when I googled the DJ Paul tape, the first suggestion was "DJ Paul arm". C'mon leave him alone, he's got a little arm so what. But yeah, thanks for all the recs I'm gonna listen to them tonight since I have zero things going on.

Another question, are any of the older, lesser known Memphis guys still doing anything good? Like Koopsta or Lil Gin or Skinny Pimp or any of those guys really. I know they all have post-Triple 6 releases that I've never heard, just curious if they're still alive.

I forgot about the last couple Z-Ro tapes, those were great, loved Crack and Cocaine. Fondren and Maine is probably the most psychedelic rap will ever get. The only tracks that fell flat for me were the RnB ones, like Gangsta Girls. Dude has an amazing voice, I'd figure those tracks would be better

Skinny Pimp went hard on "East Atlanta Memphis" but I think his new stuff is pretty lovely. If you like that old Memphis stuff, check out J-Green.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGreQzgpD84

Lil Loco-"Yella Tape tha Murder Scene" has some old school Memphis poo poo, I think he's DJ Paul's little cuz or something. Deadly Stang has Koopsta Knicca AND Lord Inf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEcNR8W11uQ

Edit: T-Rock has been the most active ex-HCP member, I think J-Green started off working with him. I don't really like his new new stuff because the production is mad repetitive, but he's signed/worked with some pretty dope rappers. You might like Slikk, C-Mob, and Mac Montese. He did an album called "Blood Money" with II Tone (wack) and Lord Infamous (dope) you'd probably like that. One more song (J-Green, Indo G, and T-Rock)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vvo7ZoWzQ0

Chade Johnson fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 9, 2011

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Glorp are you from Dallas?

glorp
Dec 12, 2004

by T. Butt

John Brown posted:

Glorp are you from Dallas?

well i lived in dallas/plano for three-four years when i was a wee lad, but now i lay my dome in the atx

e: oh i just saw your post... my boy jrhodes is a really talented producer (won the ascap istandard showcase, a really prestigious producer event) and a dope mc as well... also a really humble guy who i cosign 100%, his videos have been shown on that mtv rap fix show with sway on it

Dazed and Confused
Apr 6, 2007
lots of people talk and few of them know

caveman thug poo poo posted:

I care too. The video for Celebration is also super nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElWvcf7xT8A

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

glorp posted:

well i lived in dallas/plano for three-four years when i was a wee lad, but now i lay my dome in the atx

e: oh i just saw your post... my boy jrhodes is a really talented producer (won the ascap istandard showcase, a really prestigious producer event) and a dope mc as well... also a really humble guy who i cosign 100%, his videos have been shown on that mtv rap fix show with sway on it

Well this is a question anyone can feel free to comment on. I'm planning on starting a label with a friend within the next year or two and dropping some mixtapes. I've got some long-lost connections here in Dallas that I could possibly resurrect but I was thinking of moving to Houston. Nowadays does location really matter seeing as the internet has become such an intricate part of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glorp
Dec 12, 2004

by T. Butt

John Brown posted:

Well this is a question anyone can feel free to comment on. I'm planning on starting a label with a friend within the next year or two and dropping some mixtapes. I've got some long-lost connections here in Dallas that I could possibly resurrect but I was thinking of moving to Houston. Nowadays does location really matter seeing as the internet has become such an intricate part of the game?

location always matters. mostly because meeting people in real life and establishing connects that way usually works better than the internet where its really easy to ignore something. at least in real life you can bug people and they cant just click x on you (or pretend like they dont see your tweet/facebook)

• Locked thread