Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

pkd88 posted:

The biggest problem was that nobody (well me and I am the one that counts...) understood what they were talking about. What was he supposed to apologize for?

I was confused too until they started talking about Sherrod's comments that the conservatives retardedly twisted into her being "racist" despite the whole message being how she overcame racism.

It does seem like an awfully dated issue to bring up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

-Atom- posted:

Surprisingly Laura Flanders was more annoying than Andrew Breitbart.

I just watched it, and holy jesus she was loving annoying. What a yenta.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

With such a slow news week I wonder if they'll have anything to talk about this week...

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005

Deadpool posted:

With such a slow news week I wonder if they'll have anything to talk about this week...

This is a joke, right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ParagonParadox27 posted:

This is a joke, right?

Nope!

ParagonParadox27
Jun 20, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Nope!

I hear there was some sort of major person's demise in the world. Look into it and then get back to the thread.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

ParagonParadox27 posted:

I hear there was some sort of major person's demise in the world. Look into it and then get back to the thread.

Plus, on a lighter note, Obama and Seth Meyers ripped Trump several new assholes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ParagonParadox27 posted:

OK. I see it now. The guy that invented the teleprompter died. I guess they'll have some good Obama jokes then!

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Episode kicks rear end so far. Watching David Frum is kind of cringe inducing.

Godspell
Jan 8, 2005
Welding is fun!
Really great episode looks like they actually hired a comedy writer or something .

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Where can I read that chicks interview with the guy pretending to be a reformed jihadist.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
I must agree, great episode. The forth panel guest didn't grind the show's flow to a halt, more of that.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
Another episode where the conservative just embarrasses himself. Why can't you be a conservative and give your opinions without being dishonest?

It is so easy to be a conservative, they just spout catch phrases and call people names. They don't even pretend to talk policy and they never ever suggest that perhaps a different way is something to think about.

Actually, I don't think current conservatives are capable of seeing a different way of thinking about things. They are too wrapped up in being elected.

The black guy in the middle was very good and made excellent points.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

pkd88 posted:

Another episode where the conservative just embarrasses himself. Why can't you be a conservative and give your opinions without being dishonest?

My hunch is that their beliefs are based in dishonesty to begin with. Frum is scared to death of being left to the side of the road by the idiots that now control "his" party, yet he won't acknowledge they control his party now.

He seems like a smart guy mostly so I have no idea how to explain him. Frum is crazy I guess.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 21, 2012

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
TysonDyson bit Frum's loving ear off goddamn that was a pretty decent episode.

Edit: derp his name is Dyson I'm and idiot, still dude was laying the smackdown.

HyperPuma fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 8, 2011

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

ApexAftermath posted:

My hunch is that their beliefs are based in dishonesty to begin with. Frum is scared to death of being left to the side of the road by the idiots that now control "his" party, yet he won't acknowledge they control his party now.

He seems like a smart guy mostly so I have no idea how to explain him. Frum is crazy I guess.

I don't think they have any beliefs other then Democrats are bad. This is the level that the republicans have reached.

Their true policy beliefs don't work and even the most simple policies like abortion do not make any sense.

The fact that today's conservative can't admit that Iraq was a flat out mistake is disapointing

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does Frum have OCD or something? I lost count of how many times he had to reach and slide his mug a few centimeters in some direction.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Man, I love Manji. What a great fourth chair.

I don't like how the show ditches the first guest. He comes on and then he has to sit around for 45 minutes? Odd. Why can't they just bring him on as one of the three other guests.

Bozz
Jan 26, 2002

Scahill as usual I have to turn down the intensity level of my TV to accommodate him. Enjoy him but guy is always on edge. Dyson's nonstop wordfest was great for dropping logic bombs against Frum. There was one point during New Rules that just left Frum staring blankly into the camera like a man realizing he'd been shooting at his own team. Manji is so beautiful inside and out, would love to see her have her own show. Enjoyed Peter Bergen too.

Really good ep.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Good episode last night. I saw Henry Shearer present his documentary a few weeks back, and he absolutely killed it as the 4th panel. Him and Manji last week proves that the 4th panel is actually a good idea, so long as Maher fills it with interesting people and not people he'd like to get high with. Notably, Kevin Smith.

I like Salam being on the panel, even if he is a right-wing nut. Getting shut down by Shearer a few times was felt satisfying, but Jesus, I really hope the right doesn't adopt his energy subsidies views. Germany has a booming solar market, years ahead of us, and heavy government subsidizing made it possible every step of the way.

Biggest laugh was hearing him describe billions as a drop in the bucket, and how hardly pocket change makes it to the oil companies. With Osama out of the picture, Republicans have gone full retard.

RevBabyKiller
Aug 2, 2000

All that buys you is a little more pain than most
Best episode in a long time, and Harry proved to be one of the rare comedians brought onto the show who is exceedingly well informed and able to throw the odd highly appropriate comedy bomb in from time to time. Too bad Salam didn't become the same furious train wreck he did last time.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Salam is loving insufferable. Other than that, good episode but not the best in terms of writing. I hate how salam just shakes his head at whatever the other guys would say, seemingly just out of habit.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Dudebro posted:

Salam is loving insufferable. Other than that, good episode but not the best in terms of writing. I hate how salam just shakes his head at whatever the other guys would say, seemingly just out of habit.

Salam didn't miss a single beat even though he was factually contradicted more than a few times on the show. He talked himself into a few circles but kept the conversation going and wasn't an overt dick (Breitbart). As the conservative punching bag he's the most palatable of what Bill's had on, plus his eyebrows are hilarious.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Just watched the first five minutes, and Clarke makes a red shirt reference. Loving this man already.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 14, 2011

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Dudebro posted:

It's funny. When I watch him do the head shaking all I can figure is that is him having this mental debate like so: "well jesus what they are saying is right, but I don't like it, but factually they are right, but drat I hate that......but they are right I thing....ughh!". Continue until he admits he is wrong or head explodes.

richardfun posted:

Just watched the first five minutes, and Clarke makes a red shirt reference. Loving this man already.

Yeah that was great.

Overall a good episode. I am really excited for Zach Galifianakis next week. He was awesome the last time he was on.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Another good episode, keep the streak going! Helped that I'm a fan of Harry Shearer.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hoooo boy, off to a horrible start. Tiger Mom turbobitch as the guest.

And bill agrees with this bitch. Which, I guess isn't surprising since he's said he hates children.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 21, 2011

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

IRQ posted:

And bill agrees with this bitch. Which, I guess isn't surprising since he's said he hates children.

She's a moderate compared to China though so that makes her okay?

Rest of the episode was alright I guess, kind of a liberal circle-jerk. At least Zack Galifianakis seemed to get less time this episode. Teehee, he pretended to do heroin on the air OMG that's so ..... something.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

IRQ posted:

You don't think there is this "child worship" thing going on with middle-upper class American society?

EDIT: Honestly what was so bad about her? I'm watching it right now and she isn't even that over the top. She's actually pretty fair and honest I guess. Not sure what you were watching.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 21, 2011

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I only caught maybe half her segment but I was totally on board with her with the whole "don't let your kids give up when they want to" thing she mentioned. That's totally legit and will do nothing but help a person grow as they get older.

Nothing makes me more sad than when people give up immediately at something they want to do cause they think it's hard or cause they make a mistake :(

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
This was a weird episode in that there wasn't really any "hook" per se---I'll be amazed if I really remember this one a week or so from now given how there was seemingly just no real energy to it.

Ratigan was really focused on his one point he had to make constantly though, jeez.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ApexAftermath posted:

You don't think there is this "child worship" thing going on with middle-upper class American society?

EDIT: Honestly what was so bad about her? I'm watching it right now and she isn't even that over the top. She's actually pretty fair and honest I guess. Not sure what you were watching.

Let me guess, first time you've heard of her?

She's a psychotic who abused her children for crazy misguided (and more than a little racist) reasons and then wrote a book. But yeah she knows how to come off sounding reasonable in a 4 minute softball interview.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
okay. So she's a terrible person according to you, but the points in that interview still stand. It's hard to compare her family to most American families because they're quite wealthy (she's a professor at Yale Law School and her husband is also well off.) Her kids don't hate her for their upbringing either. The way our society as a whole treats this self-esteem stuff is really unhealthy.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm also inclined to agree with her, and didn't really find her annoying at all.

That said, as an engineering student I've seen the flipside of having a tiger mom. I hate to say this, but more often than not Asian engineering students come across as robotic, unfriendly people. She tried to explain this as "the sacrifices of discipline" or somesuch, but I really can't help but feel they're socially stunting their kids.

Second half of the episode got a little awkward. Did the crowd really take that Obama-Muslin joke seriously?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I thought Amy Chua gave a great interview, although I certainly haven't made up my mind about her. I agree with most of the philosophy presented, in the sense of not coddling children and presenting them with realistic expectations of how life works, but I'm not sure how outspoken she was willing to be on the show. For example, she mentions that many Chinese children could benefit from more Western socialization, but according to her own story did not allow her daughters to attend sleepovers or playdates. She also laughs off most of her criticism and is correct that her daughters don't hate her, but that doesn't change the fact that she actually did call her child garbage and threatened to withhold everything from holidays to food.

The interview seemed like a call for moderation between the dichotomy of styles, but I got a bit of a sense that she toned down her fervor for discipline to appeal to a wider audience. I have no basis for that assumption, but it does make me want to read her book to see just how reasonable her parenting was. Still, I do agree with the general theory behind "tiger moms."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dudebro posted:

Her kids don't hate her for their upbringing either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

You are being ridiculous.

Why is her idea of child raising wrong?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
It basically trades the child's happiness and social development for career readiness. Tiger moms will often refuse the child's natural ambitions and force them into set hobbies and careers.

Though in a totalitarian sense, you can't argue with their success at producing doctors/scientists/engineers ect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

It basically trades the child's happiness and social development for career readiness. Tiger moms will often refuse the child's natural ambitions and force them into set hobbies and careers.

Though in a totalitarian sense, you can't argue with their success at producing doctors/scientists/engineers ect.
I wasn't really asking you, you didn't claim her kids had Stockholm syndrome.

I agree with her about the self-esteem but disagree with her on the choices she has imposed on her kids. I do think parents (actually the country as a whole)should focus on education.