Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Did a good detail job on the spouse's Trailblazer. Amazing the crap that can be found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
More work on the 9K:

Throttle body was bypassed; decided to go back through it to see why prev. owner did (performance)? Nope. Leaks like a sieve. Swell. Can't get O ring for where it is, either. Will have to gunk that up.

MAF was dirty; cleaned that up, no difference, but it's cleaner.

Used ohmmeter on sensors, O2 shows it is sucking a bit of air where it links up before turbo, but not enough to throw a code.

Still don't know why it's stumbling at low RPMs when it heats up; gonna have to take it in and have the exhaust measured for ideas what to look at next.

This project is starting to get into the dick turbo spider territory.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Changed the oil and got a sample for Blackstone. It knocks for about 2-3 seconds at startup, and it had a massive unmetered, unfiltered air leak for awhile.. so I'm sure they're going to find some interesting stuff.

Also... split my 14mm socket trying to get the drat drain plug off.

Dear Walmart,

While I appreciate that you don't want cars leaking oil after an oil change, may I suggest that half a tube of RTV, reusing a copper crush washer, and cranking the drain plug to 1,000,000,000,000 ft/lbs is not the way to go. Instead, may I suggest using the proper gaskets, and maybe actually tightening the oil filters enough to seal? Mine was leaking nicely and was just finger-tight, and I had to purchase a new drain plug due to the copper crush washer becoming one with the plug.

Sincerely,
Some Texas Redneck

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Bought a pair of ramps then found my car is too low to go up them. :doh:

Changed the oil, somehow despite overheating it and the various curious rattles the engine makes, not a single sign of coolant or metal shavings in the pan. Aside from being jet black the oil looked perfect.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I didn't have a feeler gauge handy but something tells me the gaps were out of spec on my plugs

:gonk:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bought a second set of stock wheels to put winter tires on this fall. Really love the look of the stock MS6 wheel and got them at a good price. Now toying with painting/coating the other set gold.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

jammyozzy posted:

Changed the oil, somehow despite overheating it and the various curious rattles the engine makes, not a single sign of coolant or metal shavings in the pan. Aside from being jet black the oil looked perfect.

How'd it smell? Any gas?

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Got it back from getting a clutch, driveline u-joints, and an exhaust put on it, and holy gently caress did they screw up the exhaust. I specifically told them to call me when they were ready to do the exhaust so I could talk about what I wanted. Of course they didnt, so despite the fact that I gave them a flange with a 2.5 reducer on it, they went ahead and cut the flange off my brand new 6-1 header and welded 3' pipe straight to it. How the gently caress am I supposed to work on the car if I have to cut the loving exhaust off every time I need to work on the drive train? So now I have a 3" exhaust with a single tiny muffler that is loud as gently caress instead of the 2.5" pipe with resonator muffler combo I wanted, and it cant be removed without cutting. Going to stop by this morning and see if they will make it right.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Pulled an engine.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Dinges the lower part of my front bumper on a curb/sewage drain. Barely visible but still, gently caress. Also, my cai and tuner are arriving today!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Is that a hole in #6?

10000lbsofbananas
Jan 3, 2005

Not for consumption.
Tracked it (kind of) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6hRW15gOwc

Goal was to make sure nothing fell apart from when I put the coilovers in. I don't trust my own work.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

FatCow posted:

Is that a hole in #6?

Its a diesel and that's the combustion chamber hole.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Changed the oil in the 240d. Here's a quick write-up I put together regarding the experience called "How to change your oil in five stupid steps."

Step 1: Pull in garage, jack up vehicle.
Step 2: Place oil catch pan under vehicle and remove oil drain plug.
Step 3: When oil is drained, replace oil drain plug and drop vehicle off the jacks.
Step 4: Fill engine with appropriate amount of oil.
Step 5: Pull out of garage, remembering to run over the oil catch pan as you do.

I'm still working on the clean up.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Picked the F150 up from the shop after they replaced the fuel pump. Front brake stuck on the ride back to work, grooved up the rotor and smoked like a bitch. Hopefully I can get home.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

trouser chili posted:

Changed the oil in the 240d. Here's a quick write-up I put together regarding the experience called "How to change your oil in five stupid steps."

Step 1: Pull in garage, jack up vehicle.
Step 2: Place oil catch pan under vehicle and remove oil drain plug.
Step 3: When oil is drained, replace oil drain plug and drop vehicle off the jacks.
Step 4: Fill engine with appropriate amount of oil.
Step 5: Pull out of garage, remembering to run over the oil catch pan as you do.

I'm still working on the clean up.

Paper towels + ether. Hilarious though because I've done the exact same thing.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

trouser chili posted:

I know I'm doing it wrong by using vice grips on my oil plug, but if doing it the right way takes that many wrenches, gently caress it. :smugbert:

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Pass. side low beam bulb went out on the truck, being that the lamps were so sun damaged they were beyond buffing I ordered a cheap non-ricy set off ebay for less than $50.

I forgot to take some proper before and after shots. (my lovely hosting)

Old V. New

This turned into a bigger job than I wanted it to. Your suspose to remove the two pin sticking out of the top of the lamps and pull it out without pulling the grill and unmount the brackets. Well I got on pin out of the fist light but the second pin would not back out, just spin spin spin so off with the grill.

Much better.

I did a quick aim on them but still havnt driven the truck at night yet. The new lamps came with cheap bulbs in them, I'll replace them with better bulbs later this summer.

Now I want to sand the hood and upper cab and give it a gloss black paint job. Getting tired of the rusty and peeling early 90's GM paint.

evilnissan fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 12, 2011

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Billy Tully posted:

Its a diesel and that's the combustion chamber hole.

Direct injection diesel.

The pistons are generally good, but the #2 crank journal is trashed

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cleaned all the brake dust off the wheels of the Shelby. A very uneventful day.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Splizwarf posted:

I know I'm doing it wrong by using vice grips on my oil plug, but if doing it the right way takes that many wrenches, gently caress it. :smugbert:

What you are seeing is not the wrenches needed to complete the job but rather my highly specific and thoughtful wrench storage system, also known as "a big loving pile".

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Switched up to 245/40 for the rears over the 235/45 that came with the car.

S.Drives are slightly homicidal at 3/32 in the rain.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Threw a P0128 (Low Coolant/Thermostat hosed).

trouser chili posted:

What you are seeing is not the wrenches needed to complete the job but rather my highly specific and thoughtful wrench storage system, also known as "a big loving pile".

Man, that sounds like a pain, you should try my storage method. I call it "throw them all in a zipper bag with a torn "easy access" hole in the side as big as the zipper", works way better. :smug:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Lost grip while struggling with terrible plastic wiper arm bits:

:suicide:

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

+ a 93 octane tune. Really perceivable difference on the throttle.

Well on my way to :rice:. Also my first time doing anything barely resembling work on a car.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Unplugged the torque converter clutch solenoid on my Jimmy. Which goes well with the ABS pump which has been unplugged since shortly after I got it because a replacement for it it is :effort: and :10bux: x 70 for a car barely worth that much.

Next thing you know the ECU is going to fry and I'll end up sticking a carb on it. Frankenjimmy why won't you die.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

thelightguy posted:

Frankenjimmy why won't you die.

Rhetorical, right? It's a Jimmy.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Busted my rear end on the 260Z. Took the intake and exhaust manifolds off so I could chase exhaust leaks and drill out 3 studs that were broken off in the block (thanks PO!) After I got it back together I spent some time chasing a couple vacuum leaks, replaced the temperature sending unit, balanced and tuned the carbs. A lot of work, but the Z runs and sounds better than it ever has before.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Tested NEW (not purchased) TB, DIC (IDM), plugs, O2, AIC, retested mix of sensors w/ ohmmeter on 9K. Still got loving nowhere. gently caress you, Saab. Replaced oil in 9K, and 9-5. One left to do - if weekend's nice.

Terminally Pretty
Nov 8, 2008

played with my project E30 ix

we gave him new smoked ellipsoids (converted sealed beams into euro ellips)

now replacing his tailpipe with another OEM one :)

and yes that is a BBR plate :)

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Terminally Pretty posted:

played with my project E30 ix

we gave him new smoked ellipsoids (converted sealed beams into euro ellips)

now replacing his tailpipe with another OEM one :)

and yes that is a BBR plate :)

:flashfap:

Holy god that is beautiful. <3 E30's.

Why is it BMW got it right with keeping the IX oilpan higher than the subframe but EVERY OTHER M20 E30 GETS THAT poo poo ON THE GROUND?!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

She looks so naked!(canopy sitting in the background came off today)

God, that's a lot of weight and a lot of air resistance gone. A lot of very high weight. if i pull that slip tank and the fuckered spare tire out, i could probably get it under 8,000lbs. racing weight.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Got home after work today and I decided to wash, clay bar and wax my new-to-me '02 330Ci this evening, as well as give the leather another cleaning/conditioning. Even though the car looked pretty good, I couldn't believe just how much filth came up in the clay bar process. Apart from a break for supper, it took me almost five hours from start to finish, but the result is totally worth it. I would have taken pictures, but it's too dark out now, plus I'm absolutely gassed.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Beach Bum posted:

:flashfap:

Holy god that is beautiful. <3 E30's.

Why is it BMW got it right with keeping the IX oilpan higher than the subframe but EVERY OTHER M20 E30 GETS THAT poo poo ON THE GROUND?!

Probably because they made that loving up oilpan with the hole in it for the right axle.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Constructed the finest of BMW diagnostic devices.

Gotdang modern automobiles wit' der fancy pants com-puters.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Hit 120k in the miata a week or two ago. Engine oil change w/ Mobil 1 synthetic, tranny oil change with Redline, differential oil change with Redline.

Popped up the center console and replaced lower and upper shift boot (holy hell they were hosed) and changed the turret oil.

Checked plugs and poo poo, looked good. Clutch fluid at MIN, probably a slow leak at the slave cylinder. Refilled, and will replace ~*~ at some point ~*~.

My first time working on a car. It was good.

Next week: Brake pads.

Timing belt/waterpump: soon. (prev owner ran his till 80k, so i'll probably do that at 130k)

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Had a test pipe installed in the Avant. Tiny bit of hp gain, judging solely by the butt dyno, but the biggest improvement is in the sound, in that the car actually makes some now. Also had a broken rear swaybar link replaced, blamed on the fact that I run 19" wheels in Minnesota and the roads are poo poo.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Drove the 240d from St. Louis to Tulsa and back to St. Louis. In Tulsa I delivered to fellow goon MetalClawWolf a Dana 18 transfer case needed for his 1976 Cherokee Chief project and purchased his unwanted 401.

Apparently 67 horsepower is enough to propel the W123 chassis, an overbuilt U-haul trailer, my father-in-law, myself and a 650 pound AMC v8 to 70mph and that's about it.

Eat Fresh
Jul 23, 2007
Got my Cayman S on the dyno for a baseline run before I get some parts installed. Pretty impressed with the power - 272 wheel hp puts it around 320 engine with a 15% loss. Porsche claims 295 at the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djhaloeight
Jan 23, 2007

techno mafia.
Replaced oxygen sensor and dropped the trans pan to replace filter and fluid on my '88 Cutlass Supreme Classic.