Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rent posted:

Google is absolutely loving retarded if they think people really want "FREEDOM OF CHOICE" and will pay $530 for an unlocked phone.
Financially it makes more sense to do so on EM+, but yes, Google figured out quicky with the Nexus One that you can't sell a phone in the US without a subsidy option.

Which is why the Nexus S was also available with a $199 subsidy price for a two-year T-Mobile contract through Best Buy Mobile since day one.

Rent posted:

We sold a whopping zero Nexus S at my location because of this.
If your store associates were unaware of the subsidy pricing, then yeah, I can see why you sold none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

gotly posted:

VVV What is this? Where are you seeing this?

Doh yea it's at Best Buy's online site. Left out a crucial detail.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TLG James posted:

Anyone know if the 150 dollar Nexus S is for new customers only? Or can it be for people who are off contract with sprint.

Just try running it through and see. Normally its new only. Not sure if you get the sprint port in credit if you go through best buy.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is the hotspot stuff still enabled on the Nexus S? I've read it both ways.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

TLG James posted:

Doh yea it's at Best Buy's online site. Left out a crucial detail.

So I assume you can't do it in-store? What about applying a corporate discount? I'm getting $36 x 2 activation fees which kind of undermine the discount :(

No chance of getting a Sprint store to price match, right?

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If your store associates were unaware of the subsidy pricing, then yeah, I can see why you sold none.

It sounded like they weren't a T-Mobile retailer (or whatever), so they could sell the phone but couldn't sign anyone up for T-Mobile plans, so they didn't sell any.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

gotly posted:

So I assume you can't do it in-store? What about applying a corporate discount? I'm getting $36 x 2 activation fees which kind of undermine the discount :(

No chance of getting a Sprint store to price match, right?

I only saw the $199 signs in the BB store today. I tried to see if they'd let me upgrade and get one for that price but I'm not eligible until August. Going to have to call Sprint and see if they'll move it up for me.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TLG James posted:

Is the hotspot stuff still enabled on the Nexus S? I've read it both ways.

I actually was fiddling around with it today and it seemed like it was working without the $29.99 option on the account. :ssh:

In other news, I ordered the Nexus S today because I've fallen in love with it. First time I've actually paid for a phone in about 3 years.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Where was the $150 Nexus S?

I just added my Father-in-law on my family plan and he got a $199 Nexus S for the new line, plus the $125 porting credit.

BestBuy had the Nexus for $199 individual or $249 on a family plan, no port credit.

Also, the salesperson at the [corporate] Sprint store added TEP to the new line without saying that it costs extra money, and didn't say that there is a $36 activation fee.

Luckily I knew about both of those so I didn't get fleeced, but that's a little upsetting.

Do you get commission on TEP or something?

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 9, 2011

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

traveling midget posted:

Do you get commission on TEP or something?

No, but you get yelled at if your TEP add-on rate is low.

He did you a favor though, the Nexus S retails for $550.

Also the signature pad that you more than likely signed had both the price of TEP and the $36 act fee on it. Not that its ok that he didn't actually tell you these things, cuz thats pretty shady/lazy but I've seen people get all "he didn't tell me so I don't have to pay it" :colbert: then you show them what they signed and they shut up.

Not that you're being difficult about it, but I thought I'd share anyways.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Mahoning posted:

No, but you get yelled at if your TEP add-on rate is low.

He did you a favor though, the Nexus S retails for $550.

Also the signature pad that you more than likely signed had both the price of TEP and the $36 act fee on it. Not that its ok that he didn't actually tell you these things, cuz thats pretty shady/lazy but I've seen people get all "he didn't tell me so I don't have to pay it" :colbert: then you show them what they signed and they shut up.

Not that you're being difficult about it, but I thought I'd share anyways.

Actually I'm certain it didn't because as he explained what TEP was, I looked at what I was about to 'sign' (hit the checkbox for I Agree and then hit Next) and there was no mention of a surcharge. Before I hit "I Agree" I asked about the cost, and that's when the $7.95 came up. It might have been listed on a screen afterwards, but if it did, I had already agreed to TEP at that point, so it didn't really matter by then.

I'm not giving anyone poo poo over it because the two people who helped us out were amazingly nice, took time to show my Father-In-Law around Android and the Nexus S, ported everything with no hassle, etc etc etc.

I was just wondering about the inner workings of Sprint, and the TEP add-on quota is exactly what I expected in that scenario. It sucks for them, because saying "You're going to have insurance on the phone" without the "and it costs money" put a bad taste on an otherwise perfect experience. They earned Sprint a lot more of my money by being awesome at customer service than they would have if they tricked me into getting TEP.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

traveling midget posted:

Actually I'm certain it didn't because as he explained what TEP was, I looked at what I was about to 'sign' (hit the checkbox for I Agree and then hit Next) and there was no mention of a surcharge. Before I hit "I Agree" I asked about the cost, and that's when the $7.95 came up. It might have been listed on a screen afterwards, but if it did, I had already agreed to TEP at that point, so it didn't really matter by then.

I'm not giving anyone poo poo over it because the two people who helped us out were amazingly nice, took time to show my Father-In-Law around Android and the Nexus S, ported everything with no hassle, etc etc etc.

I was just wondering about the inner workings of Sprint, and the TEP add-on quota is exactly what I expected in that scenario. It sucks for them, because saying "You're going to have insurance on the phone" without the "and it costs money" put a bad taste on an otherwise perfect experience. They earned Sprint a lot more of my money by being awesome at customer service than they would have if they tricked me into getting TEP.

TEP is on every contract Sprint has whether you accept it or not, because you are accepting what the potential terms are that you are getting or not getting. TEP even at $8 isn't a hard sale on Sprint, so its pretty bad he didn't mention it, and he could get in major trouble for not mentioning it. Sprint is very big at making sure customers know everything, poo poo like that was the reason so many people had problems with Sprint.

And all employees I'm sure get rated on TEP attachment rates, at 3rd party we get rated on attachment rates (Sprint requires a 50% attachment I think), the store definitely gets commission and most stores pay employees a small bonus (I make $1.50 per TEP attached, if my store hits 60% I get some kind of bonus).

Edit: The only problem Sprint has officially stated on the Nexus S is that is cannot auto update its PRL when needed, so it could potentially have coverage issues until the software update comes out. Not sure how bad that would be honestly.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 9, 2011

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It sounds like the Nexus S 4G is having a lot of issues such as really low audio even if turned up to the maximum, wifi drop outs, lagging stock browser to the point it's unusable, and unresponsive screens.

Anyone else having these problems? Mine comes in tomorrow.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

ThermoPhysical posted:

It sounds like the Nexus S 4G is having a lot of issues such as really low audio even if turned up to the maximum, wifi drop outs, lagging stock browser to the point it's unusable, and unresponsive screens.

Blame hardware problems on Samsung.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Maybe the lesson to learn is not buy a Samsung phone on day 1, even if some other party controls part of it.

Or maybe we'll get lucky and the problems are only for a few unlucky cucumbers.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

thisdude23 posted:

Blame all problems on Samsung.

This is actually easier

edit: a little off topic, but a couple redtail hawks have taken up residence on the sprint hq campus, these pictures own

torb main fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 9, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

chemosh6969 posted:

Maybe the lesson to learn is not buy any phone on day 1.
Fixed.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Nexus S 4G has a few release problems. The original Nexus S did also, including particularly annoying ones like the random reboot bug. Hopefully Google will sort these issues out in short order with a software update.

thisdude23 posted:

Blame hardware problems on Samsung.
Hopefully these are not hardware problems. Software problems can be fixed, hardware problems can, at best, only be workarouned.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

After doing a little checking around, it seems that a lot of the issues were on previous phones (Galaxy S phones had the browser lag, EVOs had the wifi dropouts) but they were fixed with updates.

The screen problem I've only heard of twice now and the sound issue also seems to be software based.

If things don't go right, I'll probably switch to the EVO but I'm not a big fan of Sense and the whole thing about Google bringing updates to the Nexus before other phones is pretty tempting.

I'll report back my findings though (though I might do it in the Android device thread).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Galaxy S phones had the browser lag
I'm not sure what's up with the stock browser lag. Eclair's browser was great on my Epic, Froyo's blows. While Galaxy S devices might see the worst of this, my understanding is that it's laggy on most (all?) Android devices under Froyo. Apparently CyanogenMod has patches that makes it suck less.

In any event, Opera Mobile has better rendering performance than any version of the stock browser that I've tried, and it also supports Flash. Perhaps some folks are turned off by its custom interface, but I'm quite happy with it. As a bonus, it's nice to have the browser be a separate component from the underlying OS where updates can't break its performance.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm not sure what's up with the stock browser lag. Eclair's browser was great on my Epic, Froyo's blows. While Galaxy S devices might see the worst of this, my understanding is that it's laggy on most (all?) Android devices under Froyo. Apparently CyanogenMod has patches that makes it suck less.

In any event, Opera Mobile has better rendering performance than any version of the stock browser that I've tried, and it also supports Flash. Perhaps some folks are turned off by its custom interface, but I'm quite happy with it. As a bonus, it's nice to have the browser be a separate component from the underlying OS where updates can't break its performance.

People say the lag on the stock browser is something to do with the GPU? At least that's what it was on the Galaxy S before Samsung fixed it. Some also report it's only on pages that are heavy in Flash or images.

Normally, I'm a purist and won't use another browser...but I'll give Opera and Firefox a try (definitely Firefox because I'm liking Firefox Sync).

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Alman posted:

This is actually easier

edit: a little off topic, but a couple redtail hawks have taken up residence on the sprint hq campus, these pictures own

Sprint's campus is drat gorgeous, at least during the spring. I was a few blocks away for a wedding about 6 weeks ago and took some amazing photos of the trees blooming pink and purple.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

ThermoPhysical posted:

Where are you hearing this? I was planning on picking one up today.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

El_Matarife posted:

Sprint's campus is drat gorgeous, at least during the spring. I was a few blocks away for a wedding about 6 weeks ago and took some amazing photos of the trees blooming pink and purple.

It's really nice year-round, I actually took a picture a few months ago when we had a snowstorm and it was really cool looking too (I posted it in this thread too I think? it might have been the old one though)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

Where are you hearing this? I was planning on picking one up today.

I've been checking the XDA and AndroidCentral forums. They've been talking about the wifi problems a lot on AC and XDA is pissed about browser issues.

Those two things seem to be the absolute major big things that almost everyone has. Audio seems to be a big issue too but not as bad as wifi and browser problems, apparently.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alman posted:

It's really nice year-round, I actually took a picture a few months ago when we had a snowstorm and it was really cool looking too (I posted it in this thread too I think? it might have been the old one though)

Kansas City really is nice. My wife and I have friends out there, I try to get there about once a year or so, she's out more often than that.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've been checking the XDA and AndroidCentral forums. They've been talking about the wifi problems a lot on AC and XDA is pissed about browser issues.

Those two things seem to be the absolute major big things that almost everyone has. Audio seems to be a big issue too but not as bad as wifi and browser problems, apparently.

It looks like browser issues are resolved if you just use Firefox or Opera. Wifi issue seems troubling. I'll probably still get one since I'm planning on doing oodles of Android development but I'm concerned about the non-tech girlfriend. She's able to figure stuff out but would rather have a device that just works. Is there a better phone on Sprint for someone like her? Alternatively, I can just set up her Nexus S for her.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Alman posted:

From the old thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3358728&pagenumber=59&perpage=40#post388850971

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Make sure the software is updated to GRJ22 if you have a Nexus. Don't know what it fixes but its the latest software on Sprint's tech portal and its different than the launch build which was GRJ06D.

Suppin
May 16, 2004

My Spidey Sense is Tingling. Someone must be jacking off to MJ.
My wife currently has a phone number with Sprint that I wanted to "port" to Google Voice. How can I do this without losing that phone number or causing any account issues? Will Sprint give me a "new number"?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

With the integration between the two, there is no porting necessary - you add your Sprint number in and it asks if you want to use that number to replace your GV number. If yes, your old GV number will eventually cease to exist, and while Sprint will continue to hold on to your number, they've made a system change that allows them to direct all calls to that number to GV first.

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Why would anyone use the stock browser when Dolphin Mini is free and sooooo much better?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Eyecannon posted:

Why would anyone use the stock browser when Dolphin Mini is free and sooooo much better?

I keep trying alternative browsers, and I keep going back to stock.

Miren - Great for a few days, then seemed to steadily get worse as I used it (can't quite articulate why)
Dolphin HD - Ran like poo poo on my EVO, no idea why
Opera Mobile - Loaded pages waaaay slower than stock for some reason (I'm talking minutes, over 4G, for a mobile-optimized site)
Opera Mini - Loaded pages better, but had rendering issues
Firefox - did not like the UI

I haven't tried Dolphin Mini, but given my apparently extremely picky nature when it comes to mobile browsers, I doubt I'd like it much better than any of the others. Stock isn't perfect, but 9 times out of 10 it does what I want, and that's good enough for me.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Tried Bolt Browser?

Suppin
May 16, 2004

My Spidey Sense is Tingling. Someone must be jacking off to MJ.

IOwnCalculus posted:

With the integration between the two, there is no porting necessary - you add your Sprint number in and it asks if you want to use that number to replace your GV number. If yes, your old GV number will eventually cease to exist, and while Sprint will continue to hold on to your number, they've made a system change that allows them to direct all calls to that number to GV first.

I'm only wondering because there will be a day that I'm not with sprint and I want to fully port it.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
The only thing I like about Firefox is the desktop syncing. I don't mind the stock browser.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Is there any way to start the number porting process before I actually get a phone? I want to transfer my mother's number to a new line on my account because the person whose US Cellular account she's on now is going to cancel her line. I was going to order a free Optimus online, but I don't know if I'd get it before her line gets cancelled.

If I can't, I guess I'll go to the Sprint store tomorrow. What's the price on the Optimus there?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Suppin posted:

I'm only wondering because there will be a day that I'm not with sprint and I want to fully port it.

In order to port your number fully to Google Voice, you'll have to completely cancel your contract with Sprint and then sign a new one with whatever provider you choose to go through.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

gotly posted:

It looks like browser issues are resolved if you just use Firefox or Opera. Wifi issue seems troubling. I'll probably still get one since I'm planning on doing oodles of Android development but I'm concerned about the non-tech girlfriend. She's able to figure stuff out but would rather have a device that just works. Is there a better phone on Sprint for someone like her? Alternatively, I can just set up her Nexus S for her.

Wifi issue confirmed. I'm about 25 ft from the router and it keeps dropping in and out. 5 feet away is only 2 bars.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gotly posted:

Wifi issue confirmed. I'm about 25 ft from the router and it keeps dropping in and out. 5 feet away is only 2 bars.

Hopefully Google can fix it. How's 3G/4G (if you have it)?

edit: Seems the Nexus S has USB port issues too.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stevie Lee posted:

Is there any way to start the number porting process before I actually get a phone? I want to transfer my mother's number to a new line on my account because the person whose US Cellular account she's on now is going to cancel her line. I was going to order a free Optimus online, but I don't know if I'd get it before her line gets cancelled.

If I can't, I guess I'll go to the Sprint store tomorrow. What's the price on the Optimus there?

You can port immediately,just keep in mind her phone wont work till the sprint phone comes in of course. Optimus is $20 I'm store, $36 activation fee.