Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

ThriceBakedPotato posted:

Now on Netflix Streaming! Sorry to bump the old thread, just wouldn't want anyone lazy to miss the opportunity.

Despite the flaws, I can't stop thinking that it was 25 years ahead of it's time, and how some of the best shows in the last 10 years mimic it.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Twin_Peaks/70153408

Thanks for bumping the thread! Hopefully Netflix will help thousands of people discover the ahead-of-its-time awesomeness of Twin Peaks. PLEASE tell me they were able to include the pilot!

It really is amazing how many "quirky genius solving crimes" shows are on now, and how so many of those characters owe a debt to Special Agent Cooper. Even The X-Files probably would not have exploded if not for Twin Peaks' popularity a few years prior -- plus it introduced the world to David Duchovny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Yes, the pilot is included.

MissConduct
Jun 20, 2008

Hardships are like training with lead weights...
When they come off, you go flying down the road!
How did I miss this on Netflix for almost two weeks?
I'm going to have a Twin Peaks party. It's been a while since I've seen it.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
just started watching twin peaks.

all i can say is :psyduck:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

der juicen posted:

just started watching twin peaks.

all i can say is :psyduck:

Wait til you get to the end :psyboom:

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
Looks like I'll be getting Netflix just for this. Was enjoying it on CBS but they took it down from their site now. Oh well.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
so i guess season two restarts the episode or some weird cut. first episode for everyone?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh good, there is a thread.

Just Netflixing my way through for the first time after hearing one too many pop culture references and bloggers talking about how this show was just so sensational. I don't know what I thought it was at the time it was on the air ("Twin Peaks" sounded like some kind of sitcom set in San Francisco to me), but I couldn't have been more wrong.

I'm gonna read through the whole ten pages of the thread as soon as I'm back from work, but I'll check in with an initial status of "just saw Leland's death". And anticipating slow and weird stuff to come prior to the finale.

I've managed to stumble into spoilers here and there, so I doubt anything will come as a huge surprise to me (it's the curse of living in a world of show-specific wikis), but even the stuff that I saw coming was still a hell of a mind-trip. Ray Wise didn't impress me at all in Season 1 (his histrionics at the time struck me as "bad acting" rather than "possessed", and I can't help thinking that wasn't intentional), but all the stuff toward the end of his arc just blew me the hell away. I had no idea his face could do that. *

What I do have trouble with is a lot of the material that just seems ill-advised, like the "comic relief" parts. Lots of reviewers and fans talk about the series' "quirky humor" and "dark comedy" and so on, but to me every time the show tries to be funny it just falls on its rear end. Most of it has to do with Andy, and his "dopey lovable retard" persona just grates rather than making me giggle. Getting tangled up in Scotch tape? Really? That belongs in this show? Really? And getting a Sideshow Bob-style board in the face? I applaud their trying to cram so many genres into one show, but slapstick is a real stretch. Though I will say that Lucy the receptionist does a really great take on the 80s ditz whose brain does things you don't expect. It's not written the way a modern-day show would be (the dialogue would be a lot more insistently "real"), but it's genuinely funny.

Season 1 has almost none of the supernatural elements that start almost immediately with Season 2, which I found weird. S1 is all about police procedure and planted cocaine and domestic abuse and corporate machinations; but S2 shifts gears from the very first shot (heh, literally) and starts in with the explicit visions and apparitions and inexplicable crap like Nadine's "Peggy Sue Got Married" bit. And "Mr. Tojamura"? Holy gently caress, I'm glad I missed that spoiler.

So, on to the other 2/3 of S2, after I skim the thread avoiding black bars.

* Edit: Yes, I mean his maniacal grin, not having BOB superimposed over him. I don't care how good an actor you are. :v:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 5, 2011

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Data Graham posted:

What I do have trouble with is a lot of the material that just seems ill-advised, like the "comic relief" parts. Lots of reviewers and fans talk about the series' "quirky humor" and "dark comedy" and so on, but to me every time the show tries to be funny it just falls on its rear end. Most of it has to do with Andy, and his "dopey lovable retard" persona just grates rather than making me giggle. Getting tangled up in Scotch tape? Really? That belongs in this show? Really? And getting a Sideshow Bob-style board in the face? I applaud their trying to cram so many genres into one show, but slapstick is a real stretch. Though I will say that Lucy the receptionist does a really great take on the 80s ditz whose brain does things you don't expect. It's not written the way a modern-day show would be (the dialogue would be a lot more insistently "real"), but it's genuinely funny.

You are going to hate the rest of Season 2, but you must subject yourself to it to get to the awesome end.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

^^^ That's awesome, this entire thread is basically just our two posts repeated over and over. :doh:

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Feel free to hit fast forward any time James is on screen. The same would go for Audrey but she's a babe.

Edit: In season 2. Audrey is fine in season 1 but her sideplot in season 2 is pretty bad. James is a trainwreck throughout both except for the scene where he sings the song with Donna and Maddie, which was hilarious.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 5, 2011

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I actually liked some of the sillier stuff in the first two episodes of season two (the ones directed by Lynch). The repeated hospital food gag was so ridiculous, and that shot of Jacoby looking over at it is one of my all time favorites.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I tried watching this a bit ago with my roommate, and we both thought it was really bad, though unintentionally(?) funny. I haven't seen anything by David Lynch that I liked. I think we only made it two or three episodes in, and we stopped watching.

If this is my reaction, should I give up? Or should I try again? Am I just not seeing what is supposed to be good about it, because I'm not.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

simonmoon posted:

I tried watching this a bit ago with my roommate, and we both thought it was really bad, though unintentionally(?) funny. I haven't seen anything by David Lynch that I liked. I think we only made it two or three episodes in, and we stopped watching.

If this is my reaction, should I give up? Or should I try again? Am I just not seeing what is supposed to be good about it, because I'm not.

Did you see the scene in the red room at the end of the 3rd episode? If you make it all the way through that and you don't like it, you aren't going to like it and should go ahead and give up. The 3rd episode is really great, though - it's finally set up enough background that the show can do what it wants to do.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I will say right now that after watching Fire Walk with Me, I liked it more than the show in general (aside from those last 20 minutes... oh my god).

Perhaps I just wanted the whole of Twin Peaks to be darker than it was.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So let me talk about the music for a sec.

I don't know if I've seen a show in the last twenty years that had so few distinct music cues. There's the title track, there's the end credits theme, there's that one atmospheric one that morosely moves between three notes, and there's those jazzy finger-snapping brushed-snare ones for the swanky/sexy/intriguey scenes, and they make up about 90% of the incidental music in the whole show. Sure, it's tremendously effective, and I've got those few cues stuck in my head all day long, but man that's minimalist. These days you get Bear McCreary filling up disc after disc with his super-ambitious stuff, but that just goes to show how much the landscape has changed.

But that's just preamble to my question:

Please tell me I'm not the only person who fired up the very first few seconds of the pilot episode, heard those bass twangs, and immediately thought, "Hey whoa, they got the KLF to do the theme music for this show?!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMTyg2vesr8 @ 0:50

:psyduck:

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 6, 2011

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Data Graham posted:

^^^ That's awesome, this entire thread is basically just our two posts repeated over and over. :doh:

Dick Tremaine is awesome when he teams up with Andy under duress and when a ferret bites off his nose. Nobody's ever posted that in this thread but it's true and if you deny it then you can suck a gently caress.

And there is a new song in the final episode. Not new in the sense of a new composition, but in the sense that it's never been in the show any other time.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I bought the Season 1 soundtrack CD (used on Amazon for like 89 cents) because I liked Badalamenti's moody, minimalist score so much. Apparently there's a separate Season 2 soundtrack that is longer, because Season 2 had a lot more unique cues and songs (the 1950s-sounding theme for Nadine, etc).

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Rewatching the series on the Gold Box set now and just finished the episode with the big reveal. I remember how bad the following episodes were on my first time through, and they seem even worse this time around...there is just no sense of purpose or urgency at all, the shift is so dramatic. So now it's just a slog to that last episode to watch Lynch come back and blow everything up.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

el oso posted:

Rewatching the series on the Gold Box set now and just finished the episode with the big reveal. I remember how bad the following episodes were on my first time through, and they seem even worse this time around...there is just no sense of purpose or urgency at all, the shift is so dramatic. So now it's just a slog to that last episode to watch Lynch come back and blow everything up.
I feel like season 2 dips pretty low in quality immediately after the Palmer case is solved, because everyone's just milling around with nothing to do, but the Windom Earle case picks up pretty quickly after that and at least gets some plot poo poo going. I don't think the latter portion of season 2 is nearly as bad as people make it out to be, there's still some nice character moments in there, even though the show's clearly not as strong story-wise. Although maybe it's just because people kept telling me to expect the worst.
It was all pretty watchable to me, except for that loving horrible, irredeemable James subplot and a majority of the amnesia thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jesus, this S2 back nine is rough going. You guys weren't kidding.

I keep thinking of scenes and plot points to complain about—Tremayne trying to change a tire, the old dudes and the nympho wife, Josie as Catherine's personal slave, the horrible James plot, and for gently caress's sake Ben playing Civil Warhammer 40K—and all I can think about is that it all sounds like I've been tricked into sperging about the worst ridiculous daytime soap opera you've ever heard of. Whoever said these episodes feel like Twin Peaks fan-fiction written by someone who didn't get the show at all, god drat that's spot-on.

If the whole show was like this, I don't think I'd ever admit to having watched it.

Edit: LOL at that newspaper headline: ASIAN MAN KILLED !!

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

The last 3 or so episodes get better. There's just a few in the middle there that are really, really bad.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I honestly could barely tolerate that back half of season 2 - barring the finale, of course, which was just so great. I still haven't seen most of those pointless scenes involving James. I didn't even need anyone telling me that I could fast-forward through them without missing anything important - I absolutely had to skip over them or there was no loving way I was going to manage to finish the series, because it was just so intolerably and horrifically boring. Especially the parts where he's at that strange woman's house, what the gently caress.

There is some stuff I liked, though. Like all these actors who eventually would get famous (or semi-famous) start to show up. You've got a very young Heather Graham, a totally random Billy Zane, and my favorite: pre-X-Files David Duchovny as Denise/Dennis, the transgendered DEA agent. He's so adorable in drag :3:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 7, 2011

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

kaworu posted:

pre-X-Files David Duchovny as Denise/Dennis, the transgendered DEA agent. He's so adorable in drag :3:

Well, now I have a reason to endure and watch this show.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

kaworu posted:

I honestly could barely tolerate that back half of season 2 - barring the finale, of course, which was just so great. I still haven't seen most of those pointless scenes involving James. I didn't even need anyone telling me that I could fast-forward through them without missing anything important - I absolutely had to skip over them or there was no loving way I was going to manage to finish the series, because it was just so intolerably and horrifically boring. Especially the parts where he's at that strange woman's house, what the gently caress.

The crazy part about the James thing is that they must have spent a fortune on all those classic cars in the rich dude's garage. It must have been one of the more high-budget sets they'd put together. And for what? YOU SET ME UP :byodood:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Okay, the episode "The Condemned Woman" was hilarious as a Titanic reunion (or preunion, I guess): Billy Zane, David Warner, and "I'd rather be his whore than your wife."

And then in the last thirty seconds they blew half a million dollars on that newfangled "morphing" software they'd heard so much about. That was sure important.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007
If you like this tv show or things like it, you must play Deadly Premonition

http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Premonition-Xbox-360/dp/B002WSR8BC

It's only $16, and will last longer then most new AAA titles. Ignore the reviews. IGN gave it a 1/5, while Giant Bomb gave it a 5/5. It's highly subjective, but it is incredibly bizarre. Check the SA review,

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/deadly-premonition-review.php

Or if you're unsure check out the games thread for more

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3270379

This game is essentially the video game equivalent of Twin Peaks, maybe even better. Watching the series made me love the game even more.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I would totally play that game if it was available on PC. Especially since I just bought an incredibly sexy new gamin notebook with all the fixin's. Ah well. I thought there was another videogame that came out a while ago that had some Twin Peaks-ish stuff going on, although it wasn't nearly so incredibly derivative as Deadly Premonition.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

kaworu posted:

I would totally play that game if it was available on PC. Especially since I just bought an incredibly sexy new gamin notebook with all the fixin's. Ah well. I thought there was another videogame that came out a while ago that had some Twin Peaks-ish stuff going on, although it wasn't nearly so incredibly derivative as Deadly Premonition.
Alan Wake had some elements and a few references, but yeah, it wasn't as overt as DP.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Old "Twin Beaks" epidose of Dark wing Duck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2_-k7aYkvs
Feel free to skip ahead to the 6:00 mark.

One thing I always wondered was, what was the deal with Cooper's voice recordings. Is Diane a secretary or assistant or something? Does she really need to know every mundane detail that pops into his head? I actually assumed for a while that it was just a made up persona he used to organize his thoughts, but he mentioned that Diane mailed him things a few times so that seems unlikely.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson

kaworu posted:

Alan Wake had some Twin Peaks vibes to it, as well as a collectable game involving thermoses. The achievement you earn for finding 25 of them? "drat Good Cup of Coffee"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dr_Amazing posted:

One thing I always wondered was, what was the deal with Cooper's voice recordings. Is Diane a secretary or assistant or something? Does she really need to know every mundane detail that pops into his head? I actually assumed for a while that it was just a made up persona he used to organize his thoughts, but he mentioned that Diane mailed him things a few times so that seems unlikely.

Not sure of the in-universe explanation, but as a narrative and character device it's great. It's almost like "Basil Exposition", except the observations he records are seldom of any material interest to the plot.

It's almost like they came up with the idea as a parody of exposition-delivery devices in other shows. "I know, let's have him soliloquizing all the time; but instead of telling us what's going on in the case, just make him talk about fir trees and pie and stuff. It'll drive people crazy!"

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Dr_Amazing posted:

I seem to recall a discussion that Cooper had completely made her up and was mailing the tapes to a dead address. Some sort of psychosis. Or maybe I hallucinated that. I don't know anymore.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Old "Twin Beaks" epidose of Dark wing Duck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2_-k7aYkvs
Feel free to skip ahead to the 6:00 mark.

Well that was marvelously incoherent. :psypop:

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Dr_Amazing posted:

This from a Twin Peaks FAQ:

quote:

The shooting script of FWWM (see question F5) contains a
scene in FBI headquarters with Cooper standing in an office
doorway conversing with Diane, implying she is some sort of
office administrator or secretary. (The scene is written
such that the audience never sees nor hears Diane.)

During the first season, gossip columnist Liz Smith reported
that Carol Lynley ("The Poseidon Adventure") had been signed
to play Diane in the second season, but this never happened.
From the scene in FWWM, we can assume that Lynch wanted to
maintain the air of mystery about her.

Before this was revealed, however, many viewers speculated
that Diane was: an "alter ego" of Cooper's, his wife, or his
name for the tape recorder.

With the commercial release of the audio tape "Diane ... The
Twin Peaks Tapes of Agent Cooper" (for which Kyle MacLachlan
won a Grammy, incidentally) and the book "The Autobiography
of FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes", we
were given further background into Cooper's special form of
note taking (see questions P1 and P2 for more info on these
products):

"Autobiography" entry for January 10, 1978:

"Diane, I hope that you will not mind that I address
these tapes to you even when it is clear that I am
talking to myself. The knowledge that someone of your
insight is standing behind me is comforting."

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Honestly, I was never at all interested in or concerned with who "Diane" was. Totally inconsequential, although it is nice to theorize. I did like the idea that it was mysterious, though - that was important, because it added to the general air of intriguing strangeness inherent in Cooper. It was important that he be utterly inscrutable to the audience, because the moment that we became bored with him, or felt like we had him completely "figured out" was the moment that the show became boring.

In this respect, I still think that giving Cooper any sort of a legitimate love interest was an enormous mistake. It just felt important to me that his character remain perfectly androgynous and asexual. A big part of him was how he refused to adhere masculine gender roles that typically characterize a cop on TV. There was no macho bullshit whatsoever with Cooper; no macho behavior at all, in fact, he left that to Harry for the most part. To the contrary, the way he operated - primarily through intuition and instinct - was distinctly feminine, in many ways. He was also very much unafraid to use his feelings, and the emotional readings that he'd take of the people around him. Recall how he was always able to determine when one individual was romantically involved with another, purely through body language, eye contact, tone of voice, etcetera.

Anyway, it just seemed wrong to sexualize the character in any way. It somehow diminished who and what he was, because it made of him something simple and common. Cooper was always beyond such petty human needs and desires - or at least that was the sense he gave when he was at his best, character-wise. I suppose we just have to add it to the list of horrible mistakes the writers made in season 2! Oh well.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 10, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I disagree. We know from his past that Cooper was once this masculine archetype character who totally hosed up... I think giving him a reason to go to the Black Lodge aside from curiousity made the whole scene more interesting.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I just wanna chime in and say that Twin Peaks is awesome. (Except for James and Nadine) The last episode is such a cliff hanger. Pure Lynch. Most people hate that, but I think it's awesome. I write fan-fiction in my mind every time I hear someone utter the word "Twin Peaks".

Ben Horne as R.E. Lee is hilarious.

FWWM - Moira Kelly as Donna would have been better in the series because Laura Flynn Boyle pisses me off. And Moira Kelly is loving hot.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I'm just now catching up on Twin Peaks, and I'm pretty far into the first season. So far, it's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Okay, that was cute: Cole (Lynch) going THIS WORLD OF TWIN PEAKS SEEMS TO BE FILLED WITH BEAUTIFUL WOMEN! :buddy:

• Locked thread