Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Valkyn posted:

Is that 7 second 1/8 mile passes?

What kind of HP iswas that thing making?

Edited for accuracy.

Truly a spectacular failure. I wonder what the sound of an engine block being busted up by the rogue end of a broken crank having a mad fit is.

The site the image is hosted on lists the following:

OKE020.com posted:

21/3/2011 - We finally did it! on the 12th of March 2011 on the 2nd qualifier for Outlaw Radial, OKE020 went 7.977 @ 178.12mph! The 60' was only 1.406 so we were pumped for maybe even a more impressive ET to follow. On the 3rd round I decided to try and run a light on a pro tree, the launch rpm was to low but the car ran an 8.20 @ 179.5mph!.

First round of racing i checked the 179.5mph data and found the engine was still in the 10.9-11.0 AFR region at the end of the pass, i pulled the tiniest bit of fuel out to play it safe, topped the fuel up and changed out the n20 bottle for a fresh one.

The car absolutely motored to half track, i am guessing maybe 2-3 mph up on ever before, about 1000ft i felt a vibration lifted slightly then put my foot down again. The stock main caps let go and the crank broke in half at over 8000rpm. I was lucky to keep the car straight and bring it to a stop. Still ran 8.30 @ 140mph The damage was pretty impressive, not much of the block survived, the rods that were attached to the front crank section were bent as it tried to leave the engine.

The engine failure can be put down to exceeding the limits of factory cast main caps. When i pulled the plugs they showed signs of detonation, not much but enough to push the already strained caps over the edge.

Still finished the day on a high. Got to thank all my family and friends for all the help over the years, we finally did it!

http://www.oke020.com/

:stare: 7.977 @ 178.12mph

At least it died having the greatest loving party ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
Looks like they actually posted a video of the failure on their website:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cW6IfkpmC0

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
that thing was in an old corolla? naaaaaasty

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

ROFLBOT posted:

One too many 7sec passes on your stock bottom end 2JZ...

]

Tell me I'm not the only one that wishes that block could be rebuilt with clear plexiglass to replace the missing poo poo.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Been a while since this was posted. Still makes my jaw drop every time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That needs to show up every few pages.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Vanagoon posted:

Edited for accuracy.

Truly a spectacular failure. I wonder what the sound of an engine block being busted up by the rogue end of a broken crank having a mad fit is.

The site the image is hosted on lists the following:

http://www.oke020.com/

:stare: 7.977 @ 178.12mph

At least it died having the greatest loving party ever.

Wanna eat that cake

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

metalhead posted:

Been a while since this was posted. Still makes my jaw drop every time.

Did that get bent, or is it supposed to be bent and we should just be amazed at the loving size of the thing? Either way...:drat:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

JD Brickmeister posted:

Did that get bent, or is it supposed to be bent and we should just be amazed at the loving size of the thing? Either way...:drat:

An ocean liner had a boo boo was the general consensus.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I've seen that photo in one of my lectures... I believe it was hosed up on a testbed. I want to say hydrolocking did that, let me see if I can dig up the link.

Got it:

http://www.marinediesels.info/Horror%20Stories/testbed_smash.htm

If it doesn't go direct to the page, go to Horror Stories on the left, scroll down and find Test Bed Smash.

While you're there, read the other horror stories - Cert of Incompetence in particular is a good'un.

I don't think that engine was destined for a passenger ship, as a point of interest - they tend to use smaller 4 strokers rather than the big 2 strokes that container ships use.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 11, 2011

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Two Finger posted:

I've seen that photo in one of my lectures... I believe it was hosed up on a testbed. I want to say hydrolocking did that, let me see if I can dig up the link.

Got it:

These stories are great. Want to gently caress up? Want to gently caress up BIG TIME? Become a Marine Diesel Mechanic!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

JD Brickmeister posted:

Marine engines are large.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Two Finger posted:

Got it:

If it doesn't go direct to the page, go to Horror Stories on the left, scroll down and find Test Bed Smash.

While you're there, read the other horror stories - Cert of Incompetence in particular is a good'un.

I don't think that engine was destined for a passenger ship, as a point of interest - they tend to use smaller 4 strokers rather than the big 2 strokes that container ships use.
Wow, that site is a flash back to the late 90s :)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

These stories are great. Want to gently caress up? Want to gently caress up BIG TIME? Become a Marine Diesel Mechanic!

Haha, why do you think I do it?

Reposting these from the aquatic insanity thread:

Two Finger posted:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Beast Pussy posted:

that thing was in an old corolla? naaaaaasty

Do Americans not run <10sec passes in tiny old Japanese econoboxes?

Also, I want to know more about the Kingo wagon in the other vid on his page.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Forgot to add this one to the other post, not so much horrible in what failed, more a package deal. Heater core on a Toyota Previa.

This was what we had to do to get the climate control unit out of the Soarer track car

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 11, 2011

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Vanagoon posted:

I wonder what the sound of an engine block being busted up by the rogue end of a broken crank having a mad fit is.

Pretty much like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELiAoaZtbxw&feature=related&t=1m10s

Pretend Squirrel
Sep 18, 2009
Alright, I just read through all 77 pages.

Some lady brought her car in the other day, "I think I ran over something!"

We also had a guy come in recently who had gone so long without replacing his brakes that the rotors were paper thin with a strip worn through them. One of the other guys took a picture of it, I'll see if I can get it from him.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Two Finger posted:

Haha, why do you think I do it?

Reposting these from the aquatic insanity thread:

I believe that's called "A Trail of Chaos" or something that had to be awesome to watch from safety.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Two Finger posted:

Got it:

Man gently caress that guy and his javascript that tries to stop you from selecting text, I had to find a firefox extension (RighttoClick) to get around it.

quote:

A 200 litre drum of of oil for general lubrication purposes was stored in the steering flat. The oil was taken from the drum using a hand operated semi rotary drum pump. The pump was in need of overhaul, because it only picked up suction after a great deal of effort on the part of the operator.

The fourth engineer, instead of overhauling the pump, decided he knew a better solution. He connected an air line into the top of the drum after sealing the pump suction pipe into the drum. The air was from the 7 bar working air supply. The idea being that the air pushed the oil up the suction pipe, through the pump, when operated, and into his jug.

An oil drum is not a pressure vessel. When it exploded, it made quite a mess. Pieces of the fourth engineer were found all over the steering flat.

Compressed air should only be used for the purposes intended. Take great care before pressurising any piece of equipment. Ensure it been designed and tested to be raised to the intended pressure.

:byodood:

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Marine engines are large.

I know they are huge but the kid in me wants that to be a R/C truck hauling around someone's honda engine..

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Tindjin posted:

I know they are huge but the kid in me wants that to be a R/C truck hauling around someone's honda engine..

Couldn't be a Honda, because that engine has TORQUE.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Gorilla Salad posted:

When you get to this size, why not make a giant turbine? If it's running at one speed for hours and hours it has to be more efficient to have a turbine instead of a reciprocating piston engine.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

bidikyoopi posted:

When you get to this size, why not make a giant turbine? If it's running at one speed for hours and hours it has to be more efficient to have a turbine instead of a reciprocating piston engine.

These engines can be run off of the thick sludge left from oil distillation that noone else wants, which is cheaper than the cleaner fuel required for turbine engines.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Actually those giant two-strokes are among the most efficient ICE engines produced. I believe the hover around 53% ish, where even a good modern car engine is lucky to get 35%.

It's two-stroke, diesel, and kept at a very low RPM (redline at 108 or something.)

Fun fact: the giant Wärtsilä engine sitting in the Maersk E-class container ships inject 90 liters of fuel per cylinder per stroke.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

bolind posted:

It's two-stroke, diesel, and kept at a very low RPM (redline at 108 or something.)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this also allow them to direct drive the propeller? Couldn't do that with a turbine, at least not without an equally big gearbox (which would result in drivetrain losses.)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bolind posted:

Actually those giant two-strokes are among the most efficient ICE engines produced. I believe the hover around 53% ish, where even a good modern car engine is lucky to get 35%.

Fun fact: the giant Wärtsilä engine sitting in the Maersk E-class container ships inject 90 liters of fuel per cylinder per stroke.

I believe the best efficiency obtained from an ICE is 50.5% including heat recovery boilers, etc.

Also, 90L of fuel per cylinder per stroke sounds just a bit high... If that was the case you'd be using something insane like 9 cubic metres of fuel per minute, per cylinder
Wiki indicates specific fuel consumption is 171g/kW. At 80080 rated kW, that works out to 13.693 cubes per hour, which works out to around 3.8L per second. That sounds a whole lot more realistic.

Geoj posted:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this also allow them to direct drive the propeller? Couldn't do that with a turbine, at least not without an equally big gearbox (which would result in drivetrain losses.)

Yep, you're dead right. The engines are built around that principle - with the kinds of power outputs they're throwing around (in the thousands of kilowatts per cylinder) it becomes absolutely worth cutting down on even fractional percentage efficiency losses. It's all money straight out the door, otherwise.

EightBit posted:

These engines can be run off of the thick sludge left from oil distillation that noone else wants, which is cheaper than the cleaner fuel required for turbine engines.

Yeah, this poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 12, 2011

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Horrible Mechanical Failure..

Locomotives have 6 axles. They do not have individual control. You only have control of braking or throttle of them as a group. They can be cut out individually or in a group of 3 (by cutting out one whole "truck").

When you see the locomotives on the front of a train they are all connected by cables to behave as one giant locomotive. As some of you may have seen, we sometimes use locomotives at the rear or in the middle of a train using equipment that allows it to mimic the control inputs from the lead locomotives by radio. This radion input is translated by computer.

In this case something was lost in translation. When the train stopped somewhere, half of the locomotive running by radio (we call it distributed power) decided to stay under power. Weird things like this have happened from time to time but usually to the front power set and since that is manned you stop things, report it, shut it down, or just generally get it fixed.

Since that locomotive was unmanned nobody knew what was happening. I have no other specifics for you about what happened because of this, where it was, etc.

edit: What we don't see here is the thousands and thousands of dollars in damage to the wheel sets/traction motors. The damage to the rail is a pittance and could be fixed by 6 guys in under an hour.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 12, 2011

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

B4Ctom1 posted:

Pretty awesome burnout done by the train bro :v:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

EightBit posted:

Bunker Oil 4 Lyfe.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Horrible Mechanical Failure..

Locomotives have 6 axles. They do not have individual control. You only have control of braking or throttle of them as a group. They can be cut out individually or in a group of 3 (by cutting out one whole "truck").

When you see the locomotives on the front of a train they are all connected by cables to behave as one giant locomotive. As some of you may have seen, we sometimes use locomotives at the rear or in the middle of a train using equipment that allows it to mimic the control inputs from the lead locomotives by radio. This radion input is translated by computer.

In this case something was lost in translation. When the train stopped somewhere, half of the locomotive running by radio (we call it distributed power) decided to stay under power. Weird things like this have happened from time to time but usually to the front power set and since that is manned you stop things, report it, shut it down, or just generally get it fixed.

Since that locomotive was unmanned nobody knew what was happening. I have no other specifics for you about what happened because of this, where it was, etc.

edit: What we don't see here is the thousands and thousands of dollars in damage to the wheel sets/traction motors. The damage to the rail is a pittance and could be fixed by 6 guys in under an hour.

Surprised that poo poo didn't burn.

Rail Car Explosions

Roseville, CA

April 1973- A railroad accident draws the Navy's attention to the hazards caused by fires and sensitive munitions. A train loaded with bombs had just entered the yard in Roseville, CA, when a fire was observed in one of the boxcars. Before the fire department could react, a massive explosion demolished the boxcar and spread the fire.

In the next few hours, 18 boxcars exploded in succession. There were no fatalities in this accident, but 48 people were injured and property damage totaled $24 Million.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...=www.google.com

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

You Am I posted:

Pretty awesome burnout done by the train bro :v:

Oh god, thank you for making me spit my coffee out this morning.

rckgrdn
Apr 26, 2002

So that's how it's made...
Enough of this big poo poo, here's a quick demonstration of the importance of proper mountain bike maintenance:

Bonus video and more pics.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Two Finger posted:

Yep, you're dead right. The engines are built around that principle - with the kinds of power outputs they're throwing around (in the thousands of kilowatts per cylinder) it becomes absolutely worth cutting down on even fractional percentage efficiency losses. It's all money straight out the door, otherwise.

I have a friend who runs a refinery for Conoco-Phillips. He was telling me that because of the scale, if they can manage to get a ship full of crude from Saudi Arabia to the US a day or two faster, that can translate to hundreds of thousands of dollars in increased revenue. The oil sitting in the tanker is like capital that isn't doing anything, so it's like sitting on $100,000,000 dollars (I don't know the exact numbers, but this is the size of the ballpark at least) that isn't earning interest, etc. One day of interest on that much money is significant, so not only are they trying to get the max horsepower out of the engine, but they have to factor in the cost of the cargo.

When you start to think of the scale these businesses operate on, physically as well as financially, it is truly mind boggling.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Two Finger posted:

Engine talk.

You're right, 90 liter per stroke is ridiculous, dunno where I've got that from. And I've worked at the shipyard that built the Maersk E-class ships.

The wiki page for the Wärtsilä engine says that the amount of fuel per cylinder per stroke is 160g (at full load). Which is still a heck of a lot, when you think about it.

But, yes, it's direct drive.

I've heard someone say, that you measure the load on the engine by measuring how many degrees the driveshaft is twisted. Any truth to that?

Other fun fact: you can stop the engine, take one cylinder completely out of service, that is, remove it, and start the engine again.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Two Finger posted:

Yeah, this poo poo.

Does that have to be heated to decrease viscosity or does the engine use some kind of hammer of the gods injection system to ram it into the cylinder at room temperature?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Geoj posted:

Does that have to be heated to decrease viscosity or does the engine use some kind of hammer of the gods injection system to ram it into the cylinder at room temperature?

According to wikipedia, that poo poo has to be heated before it can be used for fuel. I wonder how much energy is wasted doing that, or if there is some fancy heat capture system that keeps it hot with the engine exhaust?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Geoj posted:

Absolutely - you want this stuff at about 10-12 centistokes which will normally involve the fuel being heated to around 120* celsius. There's a reason it gets so hot in the engine room - the purifier room in particular is hellish.

The fuel is absolutely awful poo poo, by the way. You can see it clinging to my hand there where my knuckles rubbed against it - that day I was scraping waste fuel out of the boiler and once it gets on you, it's all kinds of fun trying to get it off. Using diesel to loosen it helps, but only so much.

JD Brickmeister posted:

When you start to think of the scale these businesses operate on, physically as well as financially, it is truly mind boggling.

Honestly, I try not to think about it. On my ship we were bunkering about a thousand cubes at a time, X amount of fresh water, god alone knows how much food... I'll stick to making poo poo work, I think.

bolind posted:

I've heard someone say, that you measure the load on the engine by measuring how many degrees the driveshaft is twisted. Any truth to that?

Other fun fact: you can stop the engine, take one cylinder completely out of service, that is, remove it, and start the engine again.

Eh... not 100% sure how load is calculated but I have a vague memory of hearing something like that. It would certainly be a valid way, the torsional rigidity of the crank would be a known factor.

What was it you did at the shipyards?

EightBit posted:

According to wikipedia, that poo poo has to be heated before it can be used for fuel. I wonder how much energy is wasted doing that, or if there is some fancy heat capture system that keeps it hot with the engine exhaust?

Yep, has to be treated. We run it through a centrifugal purifier which helps to remove any water/contaminants and heat it at the same time to around 90*. It's then heated further to that 120ish* mark before entering the pumps leading to the engine. I can't find a decent link in a quick glance but have a look for centrifugal seperators if you want to know more.
The heating itself is almost invariably done with steam generated either from a regular boiler or from an exhaust gas boiler - basically using water tubes in the funnel to take advantage of some of the heat the engine is sending skywards.

Edit: Sorry for the massive derail, hit up the aquatic insanity thread if you have any other questions.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 12, 2011

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

Yeah, it's usually heated by the exhaust somehow. In fact, when you start up a cold engine initially, it's done with marine diesel, so things can get flowing. And it's way more expensive than that near-asphalt, so the beancounters really stress over it.

Two Finger posted:

What was it you did at the shipyards?

Tried to get the hell out of there as soon as possible, primarily.

I got a job right out of university programming post-processors. It's basically a script that processes CNC G-code used for cutting the massive steel plates a ship is made of. I was employed for seven months, and holy hell, were that dept. ever incompetent. I didn't spend six years getting my Master's and a published scientific article to have a coworker, dead serious, ask out in the room, to noone in particular: "How many miliseconds is two seconds?" The yard workers also went on strike if the weather was good or it was a funny date or just because. Think General Motors, just with ships. The whole shipyard is, unsurprisingly, closed today.

Anyways, I was pretty far removed from the actual nitty gritty, but I still saw the ships just before it was finished, bridge, engine, the works.

Fun facts:

The Maersk E-class have a swimming pool. It's about three by three meters, and you fill it with seawater (presumably only on certain latitudes.)

The thickest steel plates are 98 mm, and positioned near the center of the ship. (It's actually a giant crossbow, so it needs to be strongest in the middle.) The reason they're 98 mm and not an even 100 is that at 100 and above, maritime certification agencies require that you do not assume it's just a 2D object, and instead begin modelling them as 3D.

Edit: yeah, derail now officially over. Let's take this to the Aquatic Insanity thread. Resume posting of broken poo poo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

The yard workers also went on strike if the weather was good or it was a funny date or just because. Think General Motors, just with ships. The whole shipyard is, unsurprisingly, closed today.

Sounds like Lindø to me :v:

Not sure where I got these (perhaps this very thread!), but it sure is a failure:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

KozmoNaut posted:

Sounds like Lindø to me :v:

Not sure where I got these (perhaps this very thread!), but it sure is a failure:

How far connecting rods will stretch and bend before failure always makes me laugh when guys tell me, "I need to get me some of them H-beams!"