Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

ElProducto posted:

Word to the fifth grade.

Thanks for doing an important job that I would never do myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's still one of the most instantly recognizable computers ever made for anyone who was around computers in the early 90s.

You're seriously overestimating either the number of people who owned Macs in the 90s or a fifth grader's knowledge of computer model names (since the last time I saw one of those was in my elementary school's computer lab in 95, and I sure didn't know what model they were at the time).

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
This is my humble posting station:

Fluval edge crew, rep.

I love that old Harman/Kardon, but the headphone jack is loose...and Stimpy is holding up a 7+ year old pair of Senn 590s.

Hopefully a nicer chair and monitor is in my future.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hella cool

wicked sick

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
My keyboard's better. :smug:
(Living like poo poo forever)

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Another Galant desk checking in, these desks have gratuitous amounts of space yet still make the room feel spacious.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Using the same keyboard my parents bought me in elementary school. Works for me, can feel unnerving to hit the lowest octave of some note and find that it's not a muddy earthquake like on an 88 key.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Chaucer posted:

Project 1 Xpression turntable, 11-year-old Sony CDP-CE335, Marantz 2245 receiver, Lian-Li PC-C31B, Axiom m22 speakers, 7-year-old Dell 2011FP, Enermax Aurora, and Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 on top of a cheap desk I bought from the previous tenant.

How are the M22s? Considering picking up a pair for a 2.1 setup for a large-ish living room.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

mik posted:

How are the M22s? Considering picking up a pair for a 2.1 setup for a large-ish living room.

They're really nice. I didn't get to hear them before my order, but they were recommended in SA years ago and I felt like they were in the right area where they're nicer than a lot of speakers until you're throwing a lot of money for increasingly less improvement. I only wanted a 2.0 system and have never gave a thought at adding a sub. I suggest buying the speakers first and see if the low range is strong enough for you before spending the extra money.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Chaucer posted:

They're really nice. I didn't get to hear them before my order, but they were recommended in SA years ago and I felt like they were in the right area where they're nicer than a lot of speakers until you're throwing a lot of money for increasingly less improvement. I only wanted a 2.0 system and have never gave a thought at adding a sub. I suggest buying the speakers first and see if the low range is strong enough for you before spending the extra money.

What do you use to power them? Will a decent 2.1 receiver or amp work, say 100w per channel? They look fantastic but I can't afford to drop $2000 on a tube amp to make them sound good.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Anyone have a desk setup under a loft bed? Trying to have two desks under a queen mattress. One at the foot, one at the head (facing opposite directions).

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Hip-hop-o-pot-o-mus posted:

What do you use to power them? Will a decent 2.1 receiver or amp work, say 100w per channel? They look fantastic but I can't afford to drop $2000 on a tube amp to make them sound good.

Marantz, looks like my 2230. Dunno what actual power is but they're underrated for their output.

Straw Dog
Dec 9, 2008

by Ozmaugh

Not quite sure about this set-up yet. It seems less natural than two screens next to each other.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Straw Dog posted:

Not quite sure about this set-up yet. It seems less natural than two screens next to each other.

I suspect that's probably because looking down and changing your focus (The laptop screen is closer to you than the main screen) is more work than looking between two screens side-by-side. I know I certainly wouldn't like it.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

Hip-hop-o-pot-o-mus posted:

Haven't heard them paired with a different receiver so I can't offer any advice I'm afraid. As Not an Anthem said, these are underrated for their output because they were made in the 70s when the rating system was very different. This is the spec sheet for my model: http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2245.html

I bought it refurbished for $310 shipped off ebay. The light-up display has fuses that burn out over time but I hear they're easy to replace. Mine has one or two that need to be done. Also the Phono Out doesn't work right so I had to use another output to a separate phono pre-aamp. Comes with the territory when your receiver is almost 40 years old.

Prince Turveydrop fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 4, 2011

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
A few months back I had a pair of M22s attached to a 100+w/channel 2.1 receiver that I pickup at a local electronics store. They sounded pretty awful. I ended up moving to a pair of Totem bookshelves and a Marantz sr4023. Sounds amazing. I suffered the same issues as Chaucer with the display, even on a model 30 years newer with a digital display, but they quickly sent me out a replacement. Kinda weird. So if you have the room and the cash you can't go wrong with a large quality receiver. Especially if you have 10 sources like I do or you are spoiled by high end headphones.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Click here to view the full image

Buggerlugs
Aug 27, 2003

"All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not Jesus Christ"

Straw Dog posted:

I have almost exactly this hardware, what worked best for me was buying an Aliminium keyboard and a decent wireless mouse, putting the laptop on something side-by-side with the screen. A USB hub sits in front of the main monitor and takes the keyboard, external hard drive and headphones, and the mouse receiver goes into the keyboard port. All neat and tidy and only one USB cable to the laptop.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Straw Dog posted:

Using a similar setup with my Macbook,though the monitor is a bit lower. The top bezel of the laptop screen is covering the bottom bezel of monitor - so it looks almost fluid..

If I had an external keyboard and mouse, I would probably do side by side monitors. This is convenient for now though.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side

Steakandchips posted:

Click here to view the full image

Nice setup up, Thats what im going for. Im just waiting on some money for another monitor and a Eyefinity adapter then I will post some pics. What sizes are the monitors? Im only doing 3 in my setup :( Thats all the wife will let me do.

LunaSky fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 8, 2011

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Those three on the bottom are U2311H's (23inches). The one on top is a Ultrasharp 2407.

If you're doing Eyefinity, ensure you get a card with 3 mini DP or 3 DP out or more (or 3 DVI out or more [none like that exist ADAIK]). Combining DP and DVI together will result in screen tearing on the non-primary output source monitor.

E.g. I have the regular Radeon 6950 with 2 DVI and 2 min DP ports. For the 3 screens on the bottom, I am using 2 DP and 1 DVI. The left most one is a DVI, and it experiences screen tearing a little due to this issue while gaming as I have DP set as the primary output in Catalyst Control Panel.

This is a known issue and there is no fix available (DP to DVI converters do not solve this issue).

TLDR: get a card with 3 DP or 3 Mini DP out at least, and 3 DP monitors.

Others experiencing the same issue and lots of details here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1576329

The Direct CU II 6950 and Direct CU II 6970 by Asus, as well as all 6990's have enough DP outs to fix this, FYI.

Example:
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...productId=43806

Also, be sure all your monitors are the same brand and model, otherwise Bezel correction will not work. Also a known issue with no fix available at the moment.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 8, 2011

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side

Steakandchips posted:

Those three on the bottom are U2311H's (23inches). The one on top is a Ultrasharp 2407.

If you're doing Eyefinity, ensure you get a card with 3 mini DP or 3 DP out or more (or 3 DVI out or more [none like that exist ADAIK]). Combining DP and DVI together will result in screen tearing on the non-primary output source monitor.

E.g. I have the regular Radeon 6950 with 2 DVI and 2 min DP ports. For the 3 screens on the bottom, I am using 2 DP and 1 DVI. The left most one is a DVI, and it experiences screen tearing a little due to this issue while gaming as I have DP set as the primary output in Catalyst Control Panel.

This is a known issue and there is no fix available (DP to DVI converters do not solve this issue).

Others experiencing the same issue and lots of details here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1576329

The Direct CU II 6950 and Direct CU II 6970 by Asus, as well as all 6990's have enough DP outs to fix this, FYI.

Example:

Also, be sure all your monitors are the same brand and model, otherwise Bezel correction will not work. Also a known issue with no fix available at the moment.

Awesome Thanks! I didnt know about the screen tearing but each of my 2/3 monitors are the same and will be! I-Inc 28inch 2ms LCD's I love them Black isn't "SUPER" black but I dont watch movies on them so I never notice while gaming.

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?

Steakandchips posted:

Example:

I actually kind of fixed this issue. I've got 1 DVI monitor and 2 VGA monitors over mini-DP. What I did was force triple buffering with D3Doverrider. Works perfect.

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

Living like poo poo:

Smoking and drinking:

What powers my distractions:

Mad_Lion fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 10, 2011

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mad_Lion posted:

I miss the good ole' days when I used to build my own computers. I guess I just have to settle with my laptop instead.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Corbet posted:

I miss the good ole' days when I used to build my own computers. I guess I just have to settle with my laptop instead.

Every time I build a computer I swear I'm not going to build another, but then a month or so later I forget how horrible it is.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

Centipeed posted:

Every time I build a computer I swear I'm not going to build another, but then a month or so later I forget how horrible it is.

The work, the result or both?

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

Centipeed posted:

I think that is how women are affected by childbirth.

Also very nice cable management Mad_Lion. I have never had the ambition to do more than more sure the cables are out of the way of airflow/fans.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Jarl posted:

The work, the result or both?

The result is great, since I have a powerful new computer on which I can play awesome games that I couldn't play before.

But building it, and dealing with problems that arise, and worrying that when you slipped and dragged your screwdriver across the motherboard you might have damaged something, all have a profound psychological effect of "This is not worth it".

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Centipeed posted:

The result is great, since I have a powerful new computer on which I can play awesome games that I couldn't play before.

But building it, and dealing with problems that arise, and worrying that when you slipped and dragged your screwdriver across the motherboard you might have damaged something, all have a profound psychological effect of "This is not worth it".

How drunk are you when you're building these that you have issues with a screwdriver dragging across the motherboard. Jesus christ dude.

Shiny Gible
Mar 30, 2011

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

PopeOnARope posted:

How drunk are you when you're building these that you have issues with a screwdriver dragging across the motherboard. Jesus christ dude.

You ever mount a heatsink before around 2002?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

diospadre posted:

Oh how I remember those loving AMD heatsinks that required the force of god on a screwdriver to slide over the tab on the socket.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

diospadre posted:

It was actually a very recent build, and it's not like I've done it before or since. But when you're bent over a crowded case and you're using force to do whatever the gently caress I was trying to do (Honestly can't remember), accidents can happen.

A bigger issue was not being able to get the heatsink off the CPU when I had to switch motherboards - I don't know if it's normal for the thermal paste to create a perfect storm of adhesiveness, but I needed to take off the heatsink to unhook the lever on the CPU socket.

I ended up pulling so hard that the CPU came out of the socket with the lever still in place / the pins still locked in.

How the gently caress that CPU escaped unscathed I'll never know, but building PCs is stressful as poo poo.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Centipeed posted:

I ended up pulling so hard that the CPU came out of the socket with the lever still in place / the pins still locked in.

How the gently caress that CPU escaped unscathed I'll never know, but building PCs is stressful as poo poo.

I've done that more than once. Barring the older ones with the exposed surfaces that could be chipped off, CPUs can take some abuse. ZIF sockets don't apply a huge amount of force, just enough to ensure contact on all pins, so it's entirely possible to accidentally pull the CPU out nondestructively if the thermal paste bonds too strongly.

Maybe it's because I regularly repair laptops, but fixing desktop PCs is about as zen as it gets. Working on liquid cooled PCs with leaky joints, that's another story.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

Centipeed posted:

[...], and dealing with problems that arise, [...]

Have to agree. Had the same computer for 6½ years. Then two months ago build a new one. On my old one I had to under-clock the ram from 400 to 366, so I was determined for that not to happen again.
A friend and I both build the exact same computer with the cpu, mobo and ram copied from a common friend's computer that was build one month prior. The ram were supposed to be 1600 and they performed excellently at that speed on our friends computer, but on both of ours it were unstable unless we under-clocked it to 1333. Turns out that although it was the same model it wasn't the same series, and that made all the difference.

I thought this was very unfair, since it would be the same as if a friend bought a TV and you bought the exact same model a little later only to discover that an important feature was missing. If it's different then give it a different model number you bastards.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

diospadre posted:

I took the assumption that he was attempting to build a computer in the modern era.

And beyond that, the heatsink and memory go on the motherboard before it goes in the case - doing it in any other way is lunacy. Regarding heatsinks sucking the chips right out of the socket - yep, they'll do that. Let the system run for a little first, and twist the sink from side to side before removing it. Worst case, use a flathead screwdriver to separate the two.

Honestly? You worry entirely too much about the whole practice. I've done these sort of things hundreds of times and I've never once worried about it. Though christ, those old heatsinks really required you to sit on a screwdriver to get the loving latch down.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

PopeOnARope posted:

And beyond that, the heatsink and memory go on the motherboard before it goes in the case[...]

What if it's a really heavy heatsink. I would be afraid that the mobo would bend if one wasn't really careful.

coinstarpatrick
May 21, 2007

by T. Finn

PopeOnARope posted:

I took the assumption that he was attempting to build a computer in the modern era.

And beyond that, the heatsink and memory go on the motherboard before it goes in the case - doing it in any other way is lunacy.

I think this is true of modern Intel heatsinks but AM2/AM3 is very easy to install in a case. I agree that it's best to install the dreaded intel spikes when the mobo is out so you can be sure it's fully seated. I wish they would go with a less lovely design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

Grimey posted:

I think that is how women are affected by childbirth.

Also very nice cable management Mad_Lion. I have never had the ambition to do more than more sure the cables are out of the way of airflow/fans.

Thanks! This case actually doesn't have much in the way of design for cable management, but the power supply is modular, and I managed to strip it down to only the motherboard power connectors, the video card 6 pin connectors, and one SATA cable with 3 plugs for my 3 SATA devices. Less cables makes it much easier to get the cables you ARE using out of the way.