Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
That second column isn't bad at all, and the first does raise a valid point about small sample size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The statistical downfall of Jeter started last year. So it's been like 7 months of data.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Derek Jeter is loving Cooked

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Doesn't Jeter basically just suffer from having no old player skills to fall back on? Even at his peak he wasn't a power monster and he seemed to have good but not great ability to take a walk.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
You know what I loving hate? Keys to the Game that are never, ever actual keys and sometimes aren't even about that game.

Keys to the Game:
Win the Series!
Keep the Momentum going!

gently caress.

It is not journalism, but I don't have any long form place to bitch about this.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Badfinger posted:

You know what I loving hate? Keys to the Game that are never, ever actual keys and sometimes aren't even about that game.

Keys to the Game:
Win the Series!
Keep the Momentum going!

gently caress.

It is not journalism, but I don't have any long form place to bitch about this.

Flashback to late 1991. I'm in Omaha, visiting a friend who was attending Iowa State. We go to a bar to watch an ISU basketball game. The broadcast team finishes the intro and gives us ISU's KEYS to the GAME! They are:

1. Score.
2. Defend.

Yes, this actually happened.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
There are a few other sports journalists here, right? Has this profession made you hate sports as much as it has to me? When I started college I was this huge superfan homer and then I realized that everyone who goes to college for journalism is just doing it so they can watch their favorite teams in a press box and eat free food. Totally turned me off. I had some coworkers who got ejected from the press box for yelling at UCF's own players in anger. I enjoy writing about sports, but it's really hard for me to muster up any passion for sports anymore.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Flashback to late 1991. I'm in Omaha, visiting a friend who was attending Iowa State. We go to a bar to watch an ISU basketball game. The broadcast team finishes the intro and gives us ISU's KEYS to the GAME! They are:

1. Score.
2. Defend.

Ironically, those are the most accurate keys to every game of practically every sport that has an offense and defense.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

seiferguy posted:

Ironically, those are the most accurate keys to every game of practically every sport that has an offense and defense.

Indeed. But we were hoping for something, you know, a little less obvious. A little more incisive.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Im pretty sure I've heard Joe Morgan claiming keys to a game were 'making good outs' and 'consistency', so, it's not obvious to everyone!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

toadee posted:

Im pretty sure I've heard Joe Morgan claiming keys to a game were 'making good outs' and 'consistency', so, it's not obvious to everyone!

I believe you mean "cosistency"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

BackInTheUSSR posted:

There are a few other sports journalists here, right? Has this profession made you hate sports as much as it has to me? When I started college I was this huge superfan homer and then I realized that everyone who goes to college for journalism is just doing it so they can watch their favorite teams in a press box and eat free food. Totally turned me off. I had some coworkers who got ejected from the press box for yelling at UCF's own players in anger. I enjoy writing about sports, but it's really hard for me to muster up any passion for sports anymore.

I used to work as an assistant sports editor at a couple of places. I definitely got tired of working on, and talking about, the same poo poo day in and day out.

Are you still in school? Most professional sportswriters I've worked with have some level of detachment.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 11, 2011

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Do they offer courses on how to write articles dripping with :smug::smug::smug:?

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

BackInTheUSSR posted:

It didn't make me hate sports but I sure hated other journalists which sounds like your experience

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 11, 2011

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Dr_Strangelove posted:

1. Score.
2. Defend.

That is pretty awesome. Without spoken word, they are already better than 80% of current GAME KEYS. If someone elaborates on them in an insightful way, it immediately shoots to the top of the chart.

With barely any paraphrasing, the Keys to the Game for a Phillies game earlier this season were:

Roy Halladay
Get the Sweep

And the elaboration for the keys to WINNING the game were: Roy Halladay is pitching. Boy isn't he good, let's all enjoy watching him pitch, and; Get the sweep on a getaway day for the road trip.

GREAT

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The biggest Key to the Game tonight is: score runs. You don't have to be a Tony LaRussa caliber genius to know that Roy Halladay and the Phillies offense are not to be trifled with. So the Marlins are gonna have to focus on scoring some runs to make sure they can put tonight in the W column.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

The biggest Key to the Game tonight is: score runs. You don't have to be a Tony LaRussa caliber genius to know that Roy Halladay and the Phillies offense are not to be trifled with. So the Marlins are gonna have to focus on scoring some runs to make sure they can put tonight in the W column.

The best thing that the Marlins can do to assure a victory is to wind up with a total number of runs equal to or greater than the Phillies. That is the key to everything. After that, its in God's hands.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

haljordan posted:

The best thing that the Marlins can do to assure a victory is to wind up with a total number of runs equal to or greater than the Phillies. That is the key to everything. After that, its in God's hands.

God can't change the results of baseball games, didn't you learn anything from Armando Galarraga's one-hitter?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

A drat FOG posted:

God can't change the results of baseball games, didn't you learn anything from Armando Galarraga's one-hitter?

Please. God was in deep to some Columbian bookies and made Jim Joyce blow that call. THEY WERE GONNA TAKE HIS THUMBS.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
Jay!

LA Times posted:

Former ESPN sports personality Jay Mariotti has been charged with three felonies -– stalking, domestic violence and assault -– after he confronted his ex-girlfriend the same day a court ordered him to stay away from her, prosecutors said.

He pleaded not guilty Wednesday to the charges: stalking, corporal injury on a spouse or domestic partner, and assault by means likely to produce great bodily injured. He was also charged with two misdemeanor counts of disobeying a court order. If convicted, he faces up to five years in state prison. His next court date is June 1 before Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Keith Schwartz.

In addition to confronting his ex-girlfriend at a restaurant Sept. 30 -- the day he pleaded no contest to one count of misdemeanor domestic violence -- prosecutors said he argued with his former girlfriend again outside a Venice restaurant April 15. He allegedly pulled a chunk of her hair out and grabbed her cellphone, while shouting at her, prosecutors said.

As part of a deal reached in the original case with the Los Angeles city attorney's office, six other misdemeanor counts against Mariotti were dismissed -- four domestic-violence-related counts, grand theft and false imprisonment.

In that case, Mariotti avoided jail time and was instead placed on three years' probation and required to perform 40 days of community service. He was ordered to complete a 52-week domestic violence course and stay away from the victim. He could face county jail time in connection for violating probation.

In addition to working at ESPN, Mariotti also wrote for the sports website Fanhouse.com, where he is known for criticizing athletes for their actions on and off the field. In the past, he wrote sports columns for the Denver Post and the Chicago Sun-Times. A nationally known sports personality, Mariotti has gained a reputation for his unsparing commentary about athletes on ESPN's "Around the Horn." He has not contributed to ESPN since his arrest.

The case stemmed from his arrest in August 2010 after a running argument between the couple that started at a club in Santa Monica after Mariotti accused his girlfriend of flirting with another man.

Police said the argument continued at the couple's Venice-area apartment, where Mariotti allegedly pushed and shoved the woman. During the altercation, Mariotti grabbed her arm, leaving marks, according to police sources.

Police were called to the apartment and found his girlfriend, who has not been identified, with cuts and bruises.

Mariotti originally was arrested on suspicion of felony domestic assault. He was released from jail on $50,000 bail. The police referred the case to the Los Angeles County district attorney's office, which determined that there was not enough evidence to charge him with a felony. The case was subsequently referred to the L.A. city attorney, eventually resulting in the no-contest plea.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Good to confirm that Jay Mariotti was another of the people who can't forgive others because he himself is unable to control himself.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I wouldn't say it's ruined my passion for sports; I'm fortunate enough to have a pretty good group of co-workers. But I definitely have a lot of sports fatigue now. I used to always be watching games or reading forums or otherwise consuming sports media, but now I really don't give a poo poo unless one of my teams is on, and SAS is the only forum I care to read/post in. It's shown me that even something you love can be turned into tedium when you're forced to be plugged into it day in and day out.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 12, 2011

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I hate when things like that Mariotti jazz surface, it makes guys less fun to hate and more plain old sad and disturbing.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Nothing makes me smile more than seeing that arrogant prick in trouble. I really do hope he goes to jail for a while.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

morestuff posted:

I used to work as an assistant sports editor at a couple of places. I definitely got tired of working on, and talking about, the same poo poo day in and day out.

Are you still in school? Most professional sportswriters I've worked with have some level of detachment.

I'm in grad school, but yeah I've interned at a few places and the sports writers (Mike Bianchi aside) are usually fairly normal and aren't big fans.

College-level newspaper writers are just terrible, though. It's bad enough that my school produced 10th-grade caliber writers, but every single writer was just there so they could meet their favorite athlete and tell them how awesome they are and fellate then via text.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
I think JoePos is awesome in part because he still clearly loves sports like crazy. Hell, even people with terrible opinions are palatable if they bring joy to it.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
I know this was in another thread but I think it applies better here. Why do people hate Dan LeBatard? He always comes across as a laid back guy, who is mildly funny. Never comes across like a skip bayless blowhard.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Weebly posted:

I know this was in another thread but I think it applies better here. Why do people hate Dan LeBatard? He always comes across as a laid back guy, who is mildly funny. Never comes across like a skip bayless blowhard.

I agree. He says his share of stupid poo poo, but he comes across as so much less arrogant about it. Kornheiser and Wilbon are so ridiculously dismissive and sure of themselves no matter how often they are wrong. LeBatard seems to understand that he's a doofus who is just guessing like everyone else.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Weebly posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZr2qOXQJ4w

how can you hate this man.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

Copernic posted:

Jay!
At the end of the arraignment, the Judge assigned Marriotti negative points, slammed his gavel down and shouted, "NEXT CONVICT!"

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Copernic posted:

Jay!

goddamn, dude needs to attend some al-anon meetings or something

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

At the end of the arraignment, the Judge assigned Marriotti negative points, slammed his gavel down and shouted, "NEXT CONVICT!"

hahaha

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

Oh my god

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

You know those times when a journalistic outfit has their priorities out of order? Enter the NCAA Football section of ESPN Insider...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Graceful. And seamless.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

You know those times when a journalistic outfit has their priorities out of order? Enter the NCAA Football section of ESPN Insider...

I was wondering about that. At least they realized it (if a little too late):

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Funny how it met editorial standards to be posted in the first place.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

Funny how it met editorial standards to be posted in the first place.

I'm sure Albert Lin (and his editor, if he has one for blog posts) got chewed out about it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

See item six. Can we please eliminate "nips" as a sports term if people aren't responsible enough to use it?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Looks like he won by a narrow margin in a playoff. Seems like correct usage to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

See item six. Can we please eliminate "nips" as a sports term if people aren't responsible enough to use it?
"Nip" is a slur on Japanese people and Choi is Korean. I think you're seeing something that isn't there.