Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Jarl posted:

What if it's a really heavy heatsink. I would be afraid that the mobo would bend if one wasn't really careful.

Then you should be careful! The majority of aftermarket heatsinks aren't mountable after the motherboard is in the case anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
I'm still terrified when I put a heatsink in a motherboard. I think I actually even like the old AMD ones better. I mean, they took a lot of force, but they were dead simple. Now they have all these doodads on them and I'm supposed to turn something and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

First heatsink I ever replaced was when I installed a PIII in place of the Celeron that was in my HP. (coppermine) I was afraid I damaged it, but it worked (and still works!) just fine. It really was much more pressure than you'd expect.

From then on, several athlons, then I got a laptop and figured I'd never build again; until this Core2Duo build in 2008. It's been upgraded from the stock heatsink to the one in the picture (for overclocking), doubled the RAM, added the GTX 260, etc.

Of all the heatsinks I've used, this Coolermaster 212+ was the most difficult to install, although it was worse because I was upgrading the thing, so I had to remove the motherboard from the case. Still, not that bad.

Anyway, I'm glad there are people who don't like to build. Gives me a reason to charge for my services. I actually kind of enjoy it.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
I... wha? People still have these sorts of issues these days? I seriously do not understand. As long as you read a little about any componants you don't know %100 about then it's like colour coded lego.

To reiterate what was said earlier, you are doing it wrong if you install the heatsink while the MOBO is in the case.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Unless you have a case with a cutout for easy heatsink swapping. :kamina:

Still easier with it all the way out, though, but just slightly with that kind of access.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

glompix posted:

I'm still terrified when I put a heatsink in a motherboard. I think I actually even like the old AMD ones better. I mean, they took a lot of force, but they were dead simple. Now they have all these doodads on them and I'm supposed to turn something and I have no idea what I'm doing.

You don't know how to fasten four screws, or push down pins? Nearly every heatsink comes with step by step, picture instructions.

How do you people function in everyday life.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
They just kinda flail around until somebody says they're doing it wrong, then they get mad at the other person for being arrogant. Then they let that person do it.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Factory Factory posted:

They just kinda flail around until somebody says they're doing it wrong, then they get mad at the other person for being arrogant. Then they let that person do it.

I do that every day. I'm basically incompetent. v:shobon:v

Actually that's not right at all.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

glompix posted:

You want to try new AMD ones. They're hilariously easy.

Now, the push pin Intel ones? gently caress those. HARD. Sure, initially installing it is a piece of piss, but you can never easily re-use a heatsink because those little pins have splayed out, and always take any chance to snap off (I'm actually running mine at home with 3/4 pins intact).

Straw Dog
Dec 9, 2008

by Ozmaugh

Buggerlugs posted:

I have almost exactly this hardware, what worked best for me was buying an Aliminium keyboard and a decent wireless mouse, putting the laptop on something side-by-side with the screen. A USB hub sits in front of the main monitor and takes the keyboard, external hard drive and headphones, and the mouse receiver goes into the keyboard port. All neat and tidy and only one USB cable to the laptop.
This sounds pretty good and I will probably end up doing this eventually.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

HalloKitty posted:

Now, the push pin Intel ones? gently caress those. HARD. Sure, initially installing it is a piece of piss, but you can never easily re-use a heatsink because those little pins have splayed out, and always take any chance to snap off (I'm actually running mine at home with 3/4 pins intact).

Yep, I hate the Intel plungers too. I bought this stupid huge heatsink with my C2D, and when I upgraded it to a C2Q, broke one of the pins. Didn't really want to find a new HS, so got one of those steel backer kits from Microcenter for like $10, and now that fucker's never going anywhere ever again.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm not sure why some bright spark doesn't just put all the screws and poo poo on the backside of the mobo rather than on the frontside where you have to contend with RAM/VRM/fan/heatsink clearances that make it awkward to fit the screwdriver/allen key/mini wrench they provide.

In contrast the back of the mobo has tonnes of room to work and even allows you to change the heatsink without removing the mobo from the case on most cases.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
Intel's sinks aren't hard. Put all 4 pins into the lock position. Make sure that the plastic is flat against the board. Push them down in an X pattern and hear them lock. Takes under a minute.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, I just put together a new AMD system for a friend and I looked at the instructions, slapped it on in 10 seconds, and I just went "..is that it??"

The intel pushpin things aren't terrible (at least compared to the days of old), but the new amd design makes it look retarded.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PopeOnARope posted:

Intel's sinks aren't hard. Put all 4 pins into the lock position. Make sure that the plastic is flat against the board. Push them down in an X pattern and hear them lock. Takes under a minute.

Putting new ones on isn't hard, it's putting an old heatsink back on, since those lovely plastic pins spread out and prove difficult to get back in the holes, and no doubt have become brittle over time.

AM3 is a lot less tedious and quick every time - although it has the same problem any design has using plastic lugs - once those break off, you're screwed - at least in the case of AM3, it's not actually on the socket, but rather a plastic mount which could be replaced

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 13, 2011

nyoron
Dec 15, 2009
Warning if you click on it: 6479 x 2707 image awaits.

Easymode
Dec 18, 2005

Valve: "The DOTA community is not "toxic", almost entirely "hardcore".
Living like poo poo bros.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Easymode posted:

Living like poo poo bros.

loving the dark elf mage with the earth elemental pet :) brings back memories of countless wasted hours during highschool

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.

Yes I realize one particular corner of this desk is a bit unorganized ;)

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

So what's the goon throne of choice lately? I just spent about 2 hours at Staples and Office Max trying out chairs, and none of them screamed "Buy me, I'm comfy as gently caress!"

My only two real requirements for a chair, other than comfort of course, is that it accommodate a Galant at its tallest leg setting, and that it has cushioned arm/elbow rests.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

CubanRefugee posted:

So what's the goon throne of choice lately? I just spent about 2 hours at Staples and Office Max trying out chairs, and none of them screamed "Buy me, I'm comfy as gently caress!"

My only two real requirements for a chair, other than comfort of course, is that it accommodate a Galant at its tallest leg setting, and that it has cushioned arm/elbow rests.

The Steelcase Leap is the best chair.

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

Sinestro posted:

The Steelcase Leap is the best chair.

Wow, that's one hell of a chair. Is there anything under $879 though that anyone can recommend? :)

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

Living like poo poo.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

CubanRefugee posted:

Wow, that's one hell of a chair. Is there anything under $879 though that anyone can recommend? :)

A refurbished Steelcase Leap.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Sinestro posted:

A refurbished Steelcase Leap.

Leaps are some of the worst loving chairs from an ergonomics standpoint. There is no upper back support, as the top leans AWAY from your body. The lumbar support is laughable at its very best, and non-adjustable. The seat padding will be practically nonexistant in a year, two at best.

(I had this at work for 3 years, my entire office building has them not many people like them, and some have resorted to kludgey standing desk solutions rather than sit in that chair. I had to have back surgery over a year ago and since then have had to resort to kneeling more than sitting until I got my new chair recommended by an ergonomist.)

I'd say get a Bodybuilt chair, or something similar. I loving love mine. Air pump to adjust lumber, the entire seat back can be adjusted up and down/in and out to fit properly, can get different rocking variants (rock from center, rock off center, etc), can have a slidable seat bottom, etc.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
:airquote: the shop :airquote:

or at least my small section of it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Heres my cubicle from wherest I administer a bunch of AIX servers and post on the Something Awful forums.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Tedronai66 posted:

Leaps are some of the worst loving chairs from an ergonomics standpoint. There is no upper back support, as the top leans AWAY from your body. The lumbar support is laughable at its very best, and non-adjustable. The seat padding will be practically nonexistant in a year, two at best.

Counterpoint:

I've used a Steelcase Leap at work for the past year or so and I absolutely love it. I sit down, and after about 3 seconds I stop thinking about the fact that I'm sitting in a chair and can just concentrate on whatever it is I'm doing.

With some products, you know they're good at what they do by how soon they seem to leave your thoughts. Keyboards, mice, and good shoes are other good examples of this. They're things that the better they are, the faster you forget about them because they fit you so well that no flaws stick out to you, so they just kind of become a natural extension of how you interact with the world.

That's what I'll say about the Steelcase Leap. It's so good that when you sit in one, you don't notice anything about it that you don't like, and soon you stop noticing it altogether.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

GreatGreen posted:

That's what I'll say about the Steelcase Leap. It's so good that when you sit in one, you don't notice anything about it that you don't like, and soon you stop noticing it altogether.

I guess everyone's different, but I had nothing but pain after more than an hour in the leap, after about the first year and especially after my surgery. I find my home chair of a big medicine ball more comfortable when I'm not needing back support.

How worn down is the padding on your leap? Granted in my first year I was a bit of a lardo (250, down to ~210 now), but the padding is basically smashed on the leap and was after that first year. By contrast, the bodybuilt has ~4 inches of really dense memory foam (think a tempurpedic seat pad).

It could be because I'm a lanky motherfucker (6'4"), and the combination of the leap and my desk not being adjustable (getting adjustable soon, thank you work for having good insurance). I was just never able to get proper upper back and lumbar support when I needed it just sitting in it, no matter how I adjusted it (2 weeks after my surgery I had to be back at work because I couldn't afford unpaid time off).

CubanRefugee: See if there are any local companies dealing with ergonomic furniture. A chair, especially one costing as much as a leap, bodybuilt, or aeron, should be tried out first. Even at first it's hard to tell, because if you've been sitting/compensating for a poo poo chair, you'll have some bit of muscle memory and it might not be comfortable until you adjust.

I'd post my work desk but it'd likely violate NDA's. I've finally got my home setup to a good state, so I'll get those up soon as I'm home again.

z0ratio sexhaver
Mar 10, 2011

Elos posted:

Living like poo poo.

My compliments on your pro keyboard. I see you opted for the red "esc" key... very nice.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
When you ask goons about chairs in this thread, they'll almost invariably point you to the Steelcase Leap or Herman Miller Aeron or Embody or a Bodybuilt- all chairs that cost $800+ (The Embody is like $1200).

That said, those are all truly incredible chairs and people swear by them for good reason. They often come with top notch construction and awesome warranties.

Herman Miller also has the Mirra which a lot of people here really like and costs ~$500, give or take, and they just released the SAYL, which is supposed to be their "budget" model starting at around $350 (but it gets more expensive fast if you start adding stuff like movable arms and whatnot). It's gotten really good reviews so far (Designed by Yves Behar, if you care about that sort of thing).

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Honestly, I got one of these for dirt cheap at Ikea and it's done me very well in the past couple of years. I'm 6'5" and always found it a pain in the rear end to find a good, solid chair that lets me sit for a while without aching and it's done the job quite nicely.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

kombatMedik posted:

Honestly, I got one of these for dirt cheap at Ikea and it's done me very well in the past couple of years. I'm 6'5" and always found it a pain in the rear end to find a good, solid chair that lets me sit for a while without aching and it's done the job quite nicely.

That's very similar to a $150 Staples chair I got for college, similar circumstances. Their selection is actually pretty okay, and you can sit in 'em to try, which is nice.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
OP checking in to say you're all still living like poo poo

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Tedronai66 posted:

It could be because I'm a lanky motherfucker (6'4"), and the combination of the leap and my desk not being adjustable (getting adjustable soon, thank you work for having good insurance). I was just never able to get proper upper back and lumbar support when I needed it just sitting in it, no matter how I adjusted it (2 weeks after my surgery I had to be back at work because I couldn't afford unpaid time off).

This could be the issue. I'm not exactly a small guy either (6'3" 200 lbs), but the Leap I use is fully adjustable, and you really can adjust everything about it. Upper and lower back support height and pressure, there are 4 different settings for how far the back will lean, you can adjust how hard you have to push for the back to start leaning, you can adjust how far forward or back the "seat" part rests, not to mention the standard chair height and I believe how stiff the main shock absorber is but I could be wrong about that. Oh, and the material is very breathable and never gets hot. And there is plenty of padding, and the general shape of the chair conforms to me well enough that even if the padding starts to wear, it should still feel fine.

If I had the money to buy an $850 chair for my home office, I'd buy a Leap in a heartbeat.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 23, 2011

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

You can usually find a used Leap/Herman Miller for ~$600.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Another recommendation for the Leap here. We bought two for the office and I bought a third for use in my bedroom, so currently I pretty much spend my entire sitting time every day in a Leap. I love mine, however despite this I wouldn't recommend anyone shell out that kind of money for a chair without sitting in it first and seeing that it can be adjusted to their liking. There is too much personal preference involved to just buy one sight unseen IMO.

Also I don't know what this talk about lack of lumbar support etc. is all about - not only can I adjust the height of my lumbar support, I can adjust how firm it is, which seems to me like pretty adjustable lumbar support.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Gallant people: A leg or T leg?

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

EvilMuppet posted:

Gallant people: A leg or T leg?

I have the A legs and am very happy with them.. One advantage to the A legs vs the T is with the A I was able to add a rear facing leg in the middle of the extensions for a bit more reinforcement, not that it really needed it, but it made me feel better. By doing this with just half of the A I didn't loose any openness on the front of the desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RainofTerra
May 4, 2007

I love tits so much I grew my own

My (Standing) Desktop. I posted a blog post on my fatblog about why I switched to a standing desk. As a bonus the desktop surface is pretty huge on the jerker. Hoping to switch to one at work sometime soon, tired of sitting all day.