Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booblord Sagat
Feb 16, 2010

by T. Finn

Minidust posted:

Explain the running joke about Miz being called "Kermit." At least 3 different wrestlers have said it on TV now. Are they saying he literally looks like Kermit The Frog or it some kinda inside reference?

He likes being fisted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Booblord Sagat posted:

He likes being fisted?

He knows a lot of songs about rainbows?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CombineThresher posted:

He knows a lot of songs about rainbows?

He's a junkie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57ta7mkgrOU

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

He fucks pigs?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

He fucks pigs?

Maryse is no pig, mon ami.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Whether it's true or can be proved or not, it seems to be generally believed that Hayes came up with unique wrestler entrance music.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I know WCW gets a huge amount of flack for their lovely booking and story lines but did #2 in this link
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-pro-wrestlers-are-best-actors-in-world_p2/

actually happen?

I have trouble imagining that Bichoff was stupid enough to go along with this, and that Pillman was smart enough to outfox Bichoff.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

fawker posted:

I have trouble imagining that Bichoff was stupid enough to go along with this, and that Pillman was smart enough to outfox Bichoff.

Yes, it did. Pillman wasn't even breaking kayfabe with the boys at that point, so it was hard to tell what he was really thinking, not to mention he'd just gotten into a major car accident that screwed up his ankle and turned him into a pillhead. I'm sure Bischoff intended to bring him back after letting him refresh in ECW for a while, but Pillman's health got in the way and then WWE signed him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fawker posted:

I know WCW gets a huge amount of flack for their lovely booking and story lines but did #2 in this link
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-pro-wrestlers-are-best-actors-in-world_p2/

actually happen?

It's true. Pillman secured his actual release to "sell the angle" in the hopes that he would ignite a bidding war between the WWF and WCW and would come out of it with a huge, overinflated Eric Bischoff special contract. He even started his own hotline about the incident and made tens of thousands off of it. The accident hampered his plans for a bidding war, but he still got a big contract from Vince.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

It's true. Pillman secured his actual release to "sell the angle" in the hopes that he would ignite a bidding war between the WWF and WCW and would come out of it with a huge, overinflated Eric Bischoff special contract. He even started his own hotline about the incident and made tens of thousands off of it. The accident hampered his plans for a bidding war, but he still got a big contract from Vince.

It's real disappointing to think about because I was a huge Brian Pillman fan. I think he was sort of the guy who embodied the beginning of the Attitude Era better than anyone except Stone Cold. Back in the 90s he was a fantastic wrestler, everything you want in a middleweight. His gravelly voice was perfect for pro wrestling and he cut great promos with amazing emotion. He had a great look and just always seemed so smart. Even after the injury I thought like Raven he'd adapt but I guess the knowledge that he'd never be what he once was, was enough to cause him to go into a pill binge. He was already transitioning into a manager/announcer and both would have been perfect for him.

I'll always be a Pillman mark.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
He's tiny, has an annoying voice, and everything has to be about him in some way.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Endorph posted:

He's tiny, has an annoying voice, and everything has to be about him in some way.

I'm confused what you mean by this - if I'm missing a joke or what.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Endorph posted:

His voice was the best. As small as he was, he had the toughest voice around which made him seem like someone that could actually do something.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Hirams Bitch posted:

His voice was the best. As small as he was, he had the toughest voice around which made him seem like someone that could actually do something.

He had a voice that literally said he made cancer his bitch.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Hirams Bitch posted:

Not just seem like, he was someone that could actually kick rear end and most of the boys would not gently caress with him.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I think Endorph is talking about the whole "Miz = Kermit" thing, not Pillman.

Psycho Mantits fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 11, 2011

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Kermit's awesome.

So is the Miz.

There you go.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
One of my best friends won't give me a straight answer on this:

Why the gently caress do people like Eddie Kingston?

He can't wrestle, he can barely brawl, he looks like Danny McBride's fat ugly cousin, he wears terrible ring gear, his promos are backyard garbage and there's nothing appealing about him at all to me.

Is that what's actually appealing to him? He's the antithesis of appeal? I don't know. I really don't know. And I'm getting tired of watching matches of him and trying to figure out why anyone would be happy to see him.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lone Rogue posted:

He can't wrestle, he can barely brawl, he looks like Danny McBride's fat ugly cousin, he wears terrible ring gear, his promos are backyard garbage and there's nothing appealing about him at all to me.

Okay, we can debate all the other points, but I don't get how anyone can say this.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Miz got a frog face.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lone Rogue posted:

One of my best friends won't give me a straight answer on this:

Why the gently caress do people like Eddie Kingston?

Is that what's actually appealing to him? He's the antithesis of appeal? I don't know. I really don't know. And I'm getting tired of watching matches of him and trying to figure out why anyone would be happy to see him.

Last of a dying breed :(

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
I'd say your opinion of Kingston's promos are what most people won't agree with, a lot of people think he's one of the best promos on the indies. He sounds like he just wants to hurt people when he goes into his Crazy Eddie mode.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Eddie Kingston is different. He looks different, he talks different, he wrestles different. As a heel, he's like the neighborhood bully who thought he could get paid to pick on guys trying to moonsault him. As a face, he's like that guy who always got in fights and trouble that you just wanted to see turn out ok.

In the ring, he's decent, but his character is fantastic.

His promos are great because they are believable. He really knows his voice and his style. I think he's the one of the best promos today, better than 90% of the WWE roster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cHefF4FmHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haJ37N5KbK8

These promos make me want to pay to see these matches. He's so loving unhinged, it's so captivating.

Satire Forum Mom fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 12, 2011

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Satire Forum Mom posted:

His promos are great because they are believable. He really knows his voice and his style.

This is really important, because this is how a wrestler builds an aura around himself. Eddie has a character beyond "indy wrestling guy" and as he develops it, fans catch on and start caring about him/wanting to see him. It's the same thing that guys like El Generico and Necro Butcher and Kevin Steen have. It doesn't work on everyone, of course, and there's no rule saying you have to like the guy, but that's why a lot of indy fans do.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CombineThresher posted:

This is really important, because this is how a wrestler builds an aura around himself. Eddie has a character beyond "indy wrestling guy" and as he develops it, fans catch on and start caring about him/wanting to see him. It's the same thing that guys like El Generico and Necro Butcher and Kevin Steen have. It doesn't work on everyone, of course, and there's no rule saying you have to like the guy, but that's why a lot of indy fans do.

Maybe it's because I knew a backyard worker pretty well in Windsor who cut promos exactly like him and pretty much had the same physique (except he looked more like Sheamus) and the only difference is the backyard guy said more Fucks.

But to each their own. At least I have an idea why people love the guy. Thanks everyone.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lone Rogue posted:

Maybe it's because I knew a backyard worker pretty well in Windsor who cut promos exactly like him and pretty much had the same physique (except he looked more like Sheamus) and the only difference is the backyard guy said more Fucks.

But to each their own. At least I have an idea why people love the guy. Thanks everyone.

If CHIKARA weren't a PG product, he probably would drop more F-Bombs, too. But either way, Kingston has one of the best promos in the business today, but what I think he does best is selling. Every single match it looks like he's in incredible pain.

Akuma vs Kingston back in 2009 was absolutely great.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Eddie Kingston is different. He looks different, he talks different, he wrestles different. As a heel, he's like the neighborhood bully who thought he could get paid to pick on guys trying to moonsault him. As a face, he's like that guy who always got in fights and trouble that you just wanted to see turn out ok.

His promos are great because they are believable. He really knows his voice and his style. I think he's the one of the best promos today, better than 90% of the WWE roster.

These promos make me want to pay to see these matches. He's so loving unhinged, it's so captivating.
I saw Eddie Kingston wrestle Arik Cannon back in '07 and I came away WAY more impressed with Arik Cannon. And saying that I bet I just lost all Wrestlehut cred ever.

Edit: Actually it was '06 in Chikara.

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 12, 2011

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Writer Cath posted:

Miz once said that was his nickname in high school as well.
Plus Regal called him that during that wonderful NXT1 ending argument (along with Matt Hardy being "Eugene") lol

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

I saw Eddie Kingston wrestle Arik Cannon back in '07 and I came away WAY more impressed with Arik Cannon. And saying that I bet I just lost all Wrestlehut cred ever.

Edit: Actually it was '06 in Chikara.

Cannon is one of the unsung heroes of the Independent circuit. He's been around for a long time, and is an incredible wrestler, but for one reason or another isn't getting the kind of recognition as other guys of similar size (Like Steen or Kingston) are getting.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Flameingblack posted:

Cannon is one of the unsung heroes of the Independent circuit. He's been around for a long time, and is an incredible wrestler, but for one reason or another isn't getting the kind of recognition as other guys of similar size (Like Steen or Kingston) are getting.

I personally like Cannon, but I can almost guarantee someone will reply with two words: "trashbag pants"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

apsouthern posted:

I personally like Cannon, but I can almost guarantee someone will reply with two words: "trashbag pants"

He's also a ginger with a Mohawk, but that doesn't take away from his skills. Look at how successful the Kings of Wrestling are right now, and try and think back when Arik Canon was in that faction, too.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Lone Rogue posted:

Well post your friend's promos and I will let you know if they are as good as Kingston, better, or terrible.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Possibly one of the greatest things about this is, most people would probably put on a mask or Joker makeup to portray that kind of character. Kingston is a guy in an undershirt and pulls it off, and that gives it a whole different context and feeling.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Who is this?:

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Hiroshi Tanahashi

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Red posted:

Who is this?:

Randy Orton, before he was Randy Orton.

Matlock posted:

Hiroshi Tanahashi

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Satire Forum Mom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cHefF4FmHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haJ37N5KbK8

Adding these two because, gently caress, Kingston is amazing at making me care

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKZx0HdB9xM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoXGE3nVBpI

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I don't like those promos. They remind me of people who come in for auditions and play it as "amalgamation of every mentally disturbed television and movie character ever".

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flameingblack posted:

He's also a ginger with a Mohawk, but that doesn't take away from his skills. Look at how successful the Kings of Wrestling are right now, and try and think back when Arik Canon was in that faction, too.
Not a good argument. Icarus was in that group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not a good argument. Icarus was in that group.

F.I.S.T. was just affiliated with them.