Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theomanic
Nov 7, 2010

Tastes like despair.

Kontradaz posted:

A while back I read "The Stranger", by Albert Camus. Can anybody recommend a book with similar themes (i.e existentialism; absurdism; realism/starkness), would like it if it wasn't all depressive story-telling. Short books (<200pg's), and with a clear and concise writing style. Nothing too flashy or wordy. I need to get back in the swing of reading books, but I'm just so put off by tomes of sci-fi or fantasy. I just want a good flowing book that tugs at my emotions. It would be even better if it could be based in reality or with a historical backdrop- in fact, that's exactly what I would like.

Nausea by Jean-Paul Sartre is excellent and short. :) I found the writing very evocative and surreal... some of my favourite quotes are from that novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt baby
Nov 4, 2009
Hm, anyone know a good biography about Oliver Cromwell?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kontradaz posted:

A while back I read "The Stranger", by Albert Camus. Can anybody recommend a book with similar themes (i.e existentialism; absurdism; realism/starkness), would like it if it wasn't all depressive story-telling. Short books (<200pg's), and with a clear and concise writing style. Nothing too flashy or wordy. I need to get back in the swing of reading books, but I'm just so put off by tomes of sci-fi or fantasy. I just want a good flowing book that tugs at my emotions. It would be even better if it could be based in reality or with a historical backdrop- in fact, that's exactly what I would like.

The next logical progression would be Camus' The Plague. It's pretty drat depressing but much more uplifting and ultimately more optimistic than The Stranger. It's loosely based on William Dafoe's Journal of the Plague Year, which was a fictionalization of the events surrounding the Great Plague of 1665 in London.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 5, 2011

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

Kontradaz posted:

You might want to take a look at Hjalmar Soderberg's Doctor Glas or Alberto Moravia's Boredom.

I'll admit I have a little trouble coming up with too many starkly light-hearted absurdist-realist romps though.

Not going to say Beckett.

inktvis fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 5, 2011

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

modig posted:

Check out Jack McDevitt's stuff, like Devil'ls Eye, Cauldron, A Talent For War. All the stuff that stars Alex seems to spend more time talking about his female employee Chase Kolpath, who is the more interesting characte. It's kind of like scifi Indiana Jones, but more mystery and less action.

Now for my request. I read The Man Eaters of Kumoan, and it was awesome because its real, but its crazier than most fiction books. So I'm asking for books about crazy real poo poo, but not adventure or mountaineering stuff.

This is probably really obvious, but if like big cats eating people you'll really enjoy The Man Eaters of Tsavo by J.H. Patterson. They made a pretty good movie out of it called The Ghost and The Darkness. It's the true story of an engineer who went to Africa, and was faced with two lions who were attacking the railroad's workers.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

modig posted:

Now for my request. I read The Man Eaters of Kumoan, and it was awesome because its real, but its crazier than most fiction books. So I'm asking for books about crazy real poo poo, but not adventure or mountaineering stuff.

It will cover a little of the same territory, but John Vaillant's The Tiger is amazing- one of my favorite non-fiction books of the last few years. The main story is great and could easily be filmed as a taught thriller, but Vaillant weaves a lot of Russian history and anthropology to give the reader an excellent big picture, as well.

Califa
Feb 8, 2006

Kontradaz posted:

looking for...
I recommend Infernal Drums by Anthony Wright. It's got pizazz and sort of in the tradition of Kerouac, Bowles, and others. It's pretty new but is also recommended by William Hjortsberg, who did Falling Angel, which got made into the movie Angel Heart, starring Mickey Rourke and Robert DeNiro. I recommend that book too, though it's older.

Califa fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 5, 2011

modig
Aug 20, 2002

PatMarshall posted:

This is probably really obvious, but if like big cats eating people you'll really enjoy The Man Eaters of Tsavo by J.H. Patterson. They made a pretty good movie out of it called The Ghost and The Darkness. It's the true story of an engineer who went to Africa, and was faced with two lions who were attacking the railroad's workers.

I actually didn't finish The Man Eaters of Kumoan because it got pretty repetitive, so I wasn't thinking about other man eater books. But it sounds different... engineer rather than sportsman and africa rather than India, so maybe I'll give it a shot.

Well see if I have enough big cat reading in me to make it to The Tiger too.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
I thoroughly enjoyed Charles Stross' Accelerando (as well as his others, but Accelerando moreso than the rest).
I've already read Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash and The Diamond Age, as well as most anything Gibson has put out (hence the username), what other sci-fi books/authors have that post-cyberpunk flair to 'em?

Theomanic
Nov 7, 2010

Tastes like despair.

Chiba City Blues posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed Charles Stross' Accelerando (as well as his others, but Accelerando moreso than the rest).
I've already read Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash and The Diamond Age, as well as most anything Gibson has put out (hence the username), what other sci-fi books/authors have that post-cyberpunk flair to 'em?

Definitely Richard Morgan Altered Carbon and the subsequent books. AC is the best, though. :)

If want to try a more relaxed, somewhat surreal sci-fi, you might pick up Haruki Murakami Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. Solid novel, though not as cyberpunky.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Also, if you haven't read Bruce Sterling yet, you'd probably like him.

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

Theomanic posted:

Definitely Richard Morgan Altered Carbon and the subsequent books. AC is the best, though. :)

If want to try a more relaxed, somewhat surreal sci-fi, you might pick up Haruki Murakami Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. Solid novel, though not as cyberpunky.

Ive had my eye on Altered Carbon actually. Next time I'm on a book run I'll pick it up.
The name "Murakami" rings a bell, actually... Discussions on io9 maybe? I don't know, but I'll keep an eye out for his work.

PatMarshall posted:

Also, if you haven't read Bruce Sterling yet, you'd probably like him.
I'll have to raid my boyfriends book collection for anything by Bruce Sterling, I know he has a few. He probably won't mind if I borrow 'em...

Thanks, both of you!

WarpZealot
Nov 25, 2005
Yes, I've played Starcraft.
I just finished reading Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds and enjoyed it. I'm looking for another sci-fi book with much more strategy and large-scale warfare. Although I don't mind aliens and stuff I'd rather have the book be about mankind. I have already read the Ender's game series, as well as Dune, and the Foundation series.

Look! A Horse!
Feb 10, 2010
I like Richard Yates. who should I reaD?

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll check out a few next time I swing by the library. But, can you guys recommend to me books similar to Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the US"? Basically, books looking at history/historical events through a different lens and providing an interesting narrative.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Kontradaz posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll check out a few next time I swing by the library. But, can you guys recommend to me books similar to Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the US"? Basically, books looking at history/historical events through a different lens and providing an interesting narrative.

The Race Beat by Gene Roberts and Hank Klibanoff. It's how newspapers covered the Civil Rights era and how each side influenced the other. It almost exclusively focuses on the south, but that's where the majority of the excitement was.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

Kontradaz posted:

One of my all time favorite non-fiction books is Cocaine: An Unauthorized Biography by Dominic Streatfeild. It is really an amazing book, not at all a pro-drug book by a barely disguised druggie (not that there's anything wrong with that). In fact the author has never done coke (as I remember it, it's been a while). It is a history of cocaine as a commodity, from the indians of South America to Freud, to Coca-Cola, to the modern drug wars. It's fascinating from a cultural and political standpoint, plus well written to boot. Yes, I picked it up because I like doing coke, but I found myself reading bits out loud to my mom because they were so fascinating and revealing. It is definitely an alternative history of something we think we know all about.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Look! A Horse! posted:

I like Richard Yates. who should I reaD?

John O'Hara -- Appointment in Samarra.

Also look into Cheever's short stories.

(Assuming it was Revolutionary Road you liked)

Also check out the Man in the Gray Flannel Suit by Sloan Wilson.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

CaptainScraps posted:

John O'Hara -- Appointment in Samarra.

Also look into Cheever's short stories.

(Assuming it was Revolutionary Road you liked)

Also check out the Man in the Gray Flannel Suit by Sloan Wilson.

Appointment in Samarra is fantastic, as is Cheever.

I've always been curious about Gray Flannel Suit. Have to check that out.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Kontradaz posted:

Rogue State by William Blum is a pretty decent look at U.S. foreign policy along that same vein.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Old Janx Spirit posted:

Appointment in Samarra is fantastic, as is Cheever.

I've always been curious about Gray Flannel Suit. Have to check that out.

It's worth a read. It's no Revolutionary Road but it's got a couple of similar themes.

Oh poo poo, also, if you want it from the other side, check out The Best of Everything by Rona Jaffe. It's a weird look at what life was like for career women in the 1950s.

turtlehammer
Feb 17, 2010

I just got finished rereading a lot of my favorite fantasy series- Raymond E. Feist, George RR Martin, Tad Williams, Robert Jordan- and have found that my taste for epic nerdom isn't fully sated. Any recommendations? I prefer swords over sorcery, and lots of political intrigue and war (think Martin!). Actually, just stick to series similar to Tad Williams' Shadowmarch and George Martin's ASOIAF and I'll be content. Also, the longer they are, the better.

And to make this post less goony goonish, I'll also accept post-apocalyptic recommendations. No zombies, though, please.

turtlehammer fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 9, 2011

modig
Aug 20, 2002

turtlehammer posted:

I just got finished rereading a lot of my favorite fantasy series- Raymond E. Feist, George RR Martin, Tad Williams, Robert Jordan- and have found that my taste for epic nerdom isn't fully sated. Any recommendations? I prefer swords over sorcery, and lots of political intrigue and war (think Martin!). Actually, just stick to series similar to Tad Williams' Shadowmarch and George Martin's ASOIAF and I'll be content. Also, the longer they are, the better.

And to make this post less goony goonish, I'll also accept post-apocalyptic recommendations. No zombies, though, please.

The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear, if you haven't read them.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

turtlehammer posted:

Joe Abercombie's The First Law trilogy and the followup books.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Now that the lf book thread is gone there isn't really a good place to ask this, so I'll just drop it here.
What's a good David Harvey book to get into? I've gone through a bunch of his stuff on Marx and appreciated it and I'm looking for a good book to take with me on an upcoming trip and I can fit about one book into my month's budget.

Choosing between 'A Brief History of Neoliberalism' and 'Enigma of Capital'

papac
Apr 8, 2009
Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I want to read something with a similar feel to 'the beach' by alex garland, failing that I'd like to read something about travellers who get in over their head with drugs/crime.

Another type of book that interests me are stories about people starting a new life somewhere exotic, in se asia if possible. fiction or non fiction it doesnt matter.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

papac posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I want to read something with a similar feel to 'the beach' by alex garland, failing that I'd like to read something about travellers who get in over their head with drugs/crime.

Another type of book that interests me are stories about people starting a new life somewhere exotic, in se asia if possible. fiction or non fiction it doesnt matter.

I think there are a lot of these books out there. First thing that came to my mind is Lightning on the Sun by Robert Bingham. Takes place in Cambodia, the hero is an American, and it's all about drugs/crime. Great but bleak book. I liked it a lot. The author died of an overdose soon after writing it.

Dog Soldiers by Robert Stone is a classic and was probably a big influence on Bingham's book as they are very similar.

The Quiet American by Graham Greene might work. Another classic.

This is all off the top of my head. I should be able to come up with more once I'm home.

Edit: All three of these take place in SE Asia

Old Janx Spirit fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 10, 2011

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

papac posted:

This is pretty much what the first few books of Clavell's Asian Saga is about; white men colonizing/settling/integrating or not in Japan or Hong Kong, depending on the book. Maybe give Shogun a shot?

e: you might have meant modern stuff, Shogun is set in 1600 just FYI.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I'm looking for a good modern crime drama, something like The Wire in novel form. Any recommendations?

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

a fabulous dinosaur...

Traxis posted:

I'm looking for a good modern crime drama, something like The Wire in novel form. Any recommendations?

I would look into Richard Price. Excellent modern crime writer who wrote for the wire. He also wrote the novel Clockers, later adapted by Spike Lee.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Please recommend Indiana-Jones type adventures, but set in the modern day? I love stories featuring the uncovering of ancient civilisations and dashing archaeologists and danger and thrills and all that. An example I enjoyed is Decipher by Stel Pavlou, but I'm a bit over Atlantis popping up everywhere in these books. What else is out there? (PS: I hate Matthew Reilly, so anything smarter than him would be fine. Doesn't have to be literary, I'm after fun escapism. Prefer it not to be full of sperging over weapons and vehicles.)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I haven't read them but you might enjoy the works of Andy McDermott (who is a goon - Payndz I think). They're all about the kind of stuff you're talking about. Although be warned, the first one has "Atlantis" in the title. It might not be that far removed from Reilly but... in his favour Payndz has a sense of self awareness (which is obvous in his posts, he seems like a jolly nice chap) that Reilly is completely lacking.

There's also the airport fiction megathread lurking around here somewhere (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3282164) that may have some crossover with this kind of stuff.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 12, 2011

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Hedrigall posted:

Please recommend Indiana-Jones type adventures, but set in the modern day? I love stories featuring the uncovering of ancient civilisations and dashing archaeologists and danger and thrills and all that. An example I enjoyed is Decipher by Stel Pavlou, but I'm a bit over Atlantis popping up everywhere in these books. What else is out there? (PS: I hate Matthew Reilly, so anything smarter than him would be fine. Doesn't have to be literary, I'm after fun escapism. Prefer it not to be full of sperging over weapons and vehicles.)

It's not fiction, but The Road to Ubar is a pretty good story.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

WarpZealot posted:

I just finished reading Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds and enjoyed it. I'm looking for another sci-fi book with much more strategy and large-scale warfare. Although I don't mind aliens and stuff I'd rather have the book be about mankind. I have already read the Ender's game series, as well as Dune, and the Foundation series.

Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise by Charles Stross should be right up your alley.

Also I just started reading through the Flashman Papers and holy crap they're hilarious, more so if you take the trouble to do a bit of research about the time period beforehand. Continuing series of books written about an officer in the British Army during the 1840s on who is a horrible human being and an utter coward but keeps managing to make everyone think he's a hero, and in the process becomes embroiled in most of the major political events of the time.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Traxis posted:

David Simon has written two books: Homicide and The Corner. They don't have the same width as The Wire, but they're both pretty good. Homicide was eventually made into a show of it's own.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Traxis posted:

I'd also recommend George Pelecanos. He wrote for The Wire as well and has written a terrific series of books set in D.C. For crime with a Boston flavor, check out some of Dennis Lehane's work as well, particularly Mystic River.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Gravy Jones posted:

I haven't read them but you might enjoy the works of Andy McDermott (who is a goon - Payndz I think). They're all about the kind of stuff you're talking about. Although be warned, the first one has "Atlantis" in the title. It might not be that far removed from Reilly but... in his favour Payndz has a sense of self awareness (which is obvous in his posts, he seems like a jolly nice chap) that Reilly is completely lacking.

There's also the airport fiction megathread lurking around here somewhere (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3282164) that may have some crossover with this kind of stuff.
Yeah, I've read the first one and it was awesome, I had a lot of fun reading it. It is about Atlantis, but I'd give it a shot anyway, Hedrigall--I don't want to spoil it for you, but it's not your typical under-the-water Atlantis-hunting story.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Although my to-read list is long, I need some post-finals mind numbing action (I'm envisioning scifi, but that's flexible for sufficiently good action).

I'm looking for a highly competent protagonist and copious awesome action scenes. I don't care if it's totally gratuitous and lacking in the plot department (although it doesn't have to be poo poo). I've never really sought out anything like this, so the only things that immediately come to mind for comparison is Bourne in the movies (not really the books), or Culture agents in Iain M. Banks' stuff.

Recommend me some badass-ness with a healthy sprinkling of violence!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

incogneato posted:

Although my to-read list is long, I need some post-finals mind numbing action (I'm envisioning scifi, but that's flexible for sufficiently good action).

I'm looking for a highly competent protagonist and copious awesome action scenes. I don't care if it's totally gratuitous and lacking in the plot department (although it doesn't have to be poo poo). I've never really sought out anything like this, so the only things that immediately come to mind for comparison is Bourne in the movies (not really the books), or Culture agents in Iain M. Banks' stuff.

Recommend me some badass-ness with a healthy sprinkling of violence!
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm gonna recommend The Hunt for Atlantis again, because it's exactly what you're asking for. Other than that, there's the Sharpe' Adventure series which I'm particularly fond of because it's basically just guns and explosions but not really mindless because you can still learn poo poo about the Napoleonic Wars and what have you. It starts chronologically with Sharpe's Tiger, but you can pretty much read them in any order with only a few exceptions (if you're going to read Sharpe's Triumph, read Tiger first, and if you're going to read Sharpe's Fortress read both Tiger and Triumph) but other than that they're mostly stand-alone. Personally, I think Tiger is the best that I've read so far, but I might just be biased since it's in India.

Both of them have extremely awesome protagonists and a lot of poo poo blowing up, and are a hell of a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

incogneato posted:

Have you read Banks' Against a Dark Background? It's a bit more action packed than his Culture stuff and a lot of fun. It's got several great set pieces. It fits both of your bolded prerequisists and is a pretty good story too.

I haven't got round to reading any myself yet, but from what I've heard Neal Asher might fit the bill as well.

It's been ages since I read it and it may be a bit dated now, but I recall Walter John William's Hardwired as being a more action orientated take on the cyberpunk genre that I enjoyed at the time.

Edit: Oh one more, The Black Lung Captain: Tales of the Ketty Jay by Chris Wooding. I really wasn't a fan of this, but it got really good reviews and a couple of nominations so what do I know. It's pretty much a steampunk rip-off of Firefly, and is pretty heavy on the action.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 12, 2011