Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneZeroSix
Apr 5, 2009

Rodgers Shoryukening the Steelers FTW
Does anyone know how Dell's return system works for monitors? Dell is sending me a replacement monitor for a 2009 one that stopped working on me. Are they going to send me a two year old refurbished unit of the same model or a newer one?

I've heard some horror stories of people receiving bad refurbs so I'm worried about having to live with a crappy monitor instead of the one I kept in perfect condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

OneZeroSix posted:

Does anyone know how Dell's return system works for monitors? Dell is sending me a replacement monitor for a 2009 one that stopped working on me. Are they going to send me a two year old refurbished unit of the same model or a newer one?
It typically depends on what they have available. If they've still got stock of that same model, you're probably gonna get a refurb--and while there are horror stories here and there, it is uncommon to get a refurb with much noticeable damage to it. That is, they're not going to send you one that's functionally sound, but looks like someone took a razor blade to the case. Maybe a small scratch in an unobtrusive place at most, but the majority of refurbs are cosmetically virtually indistinguishable from new ones. The most common refurb complaint is that it exhibits the same or similar problems as the unit that got sent back in the first place. If that's the case, just try your luck at the refurb lottery again: you can certainly call them up and tell them that the replacement unit exhibits <whatever problem you're having> and they should simply send you another one. Some people have gone through 3 or 4 monitors before getting one that they feel is perfect. Sucks to have to deal with the hassle, but you can certainly get Dell to play ball.

On the other hand, if they don't happen to have any more of that particular monitor, they'll likely ship you a similar, but updated, refurb model. All of the above applies to this scenario, as well.

OneZeroSix
Apr 5, 2009

Rodgers Shoryukening the Steelers FTW
Sounds like a win-win for me either way. Thanks for the info.

aquatic sideshow
Nov 21, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
I had one replaced and they sent me a refurb which was fine, until it died the same way the original one did. The one they sent me to replace the replacement was a godawful piece of poo poo that I hate and is terrible in every way, but they don't make the original monitor anymore so what the gently caress can a person do.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
I'm a giant on this earth, fee fi fo fum
Cerebellum over-loader make your brain stem numb!
I m on the phone to a dell rep as we speak pulling the trigger on a U3011. I m assuming TRI 580's can power this display and have the correct cables/connections?

E: Is it true the U3011 doesn't come with a double DVI-D cable? Will I need to purchase this separately?

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 12, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Manac0r posted:

I m on the phone to a dell rep as we speak pulling the trigger on a U3011. I m assuming TRI 580's can power this display and have the correct cables/connections?

E: Is it true the U3011 doesn't come with a double DVI-D cable? Will I need to purchase this separately?

3 580s will be more than enough. My U3011 came with a dual-link DVI cable, DisplayPort cable and VGA cable, so you should be covered there.

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
Thanks and Mazel tov on the OP. I came into this thread with a hundred questions and most were answered by the In depth OP. Any other advice you can give a goon when I get this out the box?

E: My cards have 1.5gig VRAM, will this cause problem running full AA? Would two 3gig 580's serve me better?

Ok from what I ve read you can actually turn down AA due to the amount of pixels on display, it naturally reduces jaggies.

One last question: If I use my 28" 1920 x 1200 as a secondary display what would be the disadvantage of that, if any?

Manac0r fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 12, 2011

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Manac0r posted:

You will not need to purchase a separate DVI cable. It will be in the box and it will be the correct cable to allow you to reach the max res on the U3011.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
What's a decent yet affordable 1080p LED LCD monitor for gaming and internet? Are the ones on newegg any good? I'm looking at this one at the moment:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117

I would prefer it be under $200 or am I only going to get crap at that price? My current BenQ G2400WD is starting to crap out (bad screen flicker) so I want something just as good or better. And I'm not going to sperg over losing some resolution going from 1920x1200 down to 1920x1080.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Manac0r posted:

One last question: If I use my 28" 1920 x 1200 as a secondary display what would be the disadvantage of that, if any?
Pretty minimal. If you've just got 2D/desktop stuff going on over there, it'd only take a small fraction of your 1.5GB VRAM and basically no processing power. I personally run 2x 1920x1200 and a 1920x1080 screen all off the same 5850 1GB with no ill effects, so you should be fine.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Does having two different resolutions with a dual-monitor setup still mean that graphics cards can't run in (full) economy mode in non-game applications?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Decius posted:

Does having two different resolutions with a dual-monitor setup still mean that graphics cards can't run in (full) economy mode in non-game applications?
Not at all. They've been powerful enough for some time now to happily not give a poo poo about what 2D work you're doing, and will sit at their minimum power state for any virtually situation that isn't 3D. Hell, a lot of the modern upper-end ones won't even bother clocking up for hardware-decoded 1080p playback, let alone just desktop use.

shimmy
Apr 20, 2011
Just got my Dell U2711, holy mother of god this resolution is huge. I came from a 24" with 1920*1200, I didn't think it would be this different. Seriously impressive.
It's crazy to think I can now run Serious Sam in 4 player splitscreen and every player still has a 720p window to look at!

Is there anything I need to do with this wide gamut and stuff? I am clueless, some of the things I read here confused me and made it sound like I would have to mess with color profiles and such but I did nothing and as far as I can tell everything looks great.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

If you're fine with the way things look out of the box and don't care about getting accurate colours, then you don't really need to mess with anything. Calibration and the like is more for those of us who do colour-critical work or are extremely picky about having the monitor be as accurate as possible to the way the colours are supposed to be. Then you might have to deal with sRGB emulation modes and colorimeters/spectroradiometers and occasionally re-profiling... Fun.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
So I am trying to build a new gaming/movie watching PC to replace my current laptop setup. I think the best bet for me is a larger(ish) monitor that can be viewed from a few different angles (for movie/PS3ing) and can take both DVI and HDMI (for PC and PS3 inputs).

This is what I came up with:
Asus PA246Q, 24.1" LCD Widescreen P-IPS Professional Monitor, 1920x1200, 6ms(GtG), 50000:1, VGA, DVI-D, HDMI and DisplayPort

Does this seem to fit the bill, or are there better options?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
That's kinda the question of the month, more or less. I've yet to see any real detailed reviews about the PA246Q, though what few I have seen are generally pretty positive. It should be comparable to the U2410 in most regards, minus the wide-gamut and most of the color-correction settings. The warranty even looks pretty good, for once. On the other hand, I've yet to actually hear from anyone who owns one on what they think about it.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

!amicable posted:

So I am trying to build a new gaming/movie watching PC to replace my current laptop setup. I think the best bet for me is a larger(ish) monitor that can be viewed from a few different angles (for movie/PS3ing) and can take both DVI and HDMI (for PC and PS3 inputs).

This is what I came up with:
Asus PA246Q, 24.1" LCD Widescreen P-IPS Professional Monitor, 1920x1200, 6ms(GtG), 50000:1, VGA, DVI-D, HDMI and DisplayPort

Does this seem to fit the bill, or are there better options?

I had one. It is nice, but the lag reaches pre-overdrive IPS levels. :cry:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

DrDork posted:

That's kinda the question of the month, more or less. I've yet to see any real detailed reviews about the PA246Q, though what few I have seen are generally pretty positive. It should be comparable to the U2410 in most regards, minus the wide-gamut and most of the color-correction settings. The warranty even looks pretty good, for once. On the other hand, I've yet to actually hear from anyone who owns one on what they think about it.

Hrm, so do you think that the U2410 is a better deal at this point? It would be more of a hassle to track down, as Canada Computer does not seem to have them in stock, which would be the easiest option for me.

If I do get one, I'll be sure to say some things about it. Though, as a novice, I am not sure how much I can contribute.

Sinestro posted:

U2311.

Ok. I am sorry, are you just saying that the U2311 is a better option?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

!amicable posted:

Hrm, so do you think that the U2410 is a better deal at this point? It would be more of a hassle to track down, as Canada Computer does not seem to have them in stock, which would be the easiest option for me.

If I do get one, I'll be sure to say some things about it. Though, as a novice, I am not sure how much I can contribute.

Ok. I am sorry, are you just saying that the U2311 is a better option?

No, I accidentally Cntl-Ved over my current post.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Sinestro posted:

No, I accidentally Cntl-Ved over my current post.

Ah, well then. So then do you think I would be better off with a different model? What do you mean by video lag though. I am not sure what overdrive IPS is.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

!amicable posted:

Ah, well then. So then do you think I would be better off with a different model? What do you mean by video lag though. I am not sure what overdrive IPS is.

Basically, the time between the GPU sending a frame, and the display showing it. It is so bad that watching a movie looked like it was a powerpoint presentation and the ghosting made it look smeared across the screen.

I would recommend the U2311, the smaller resolution is better for what you want it for.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

After blindly throwing money at a U2410 and being horribly disappointed, i'll be in the hunt for a new monitor soon. I need it to fit these guidelines:

$500 or under.

24"+, but not taller than 24" from the base to the top. I'm considering getting a 27" and get into the 2560x1440 thing, but i'm worried about how well I can push that resolution in games. How likely is it that the resolution will be more common and "accepted" by hardware in the future? I don't want to upgrade my entire computer just to play games like that.

Glossy

Vibrant colors, I'll be doing a bit of photography and art work, but IPS isn't really necessary or wanted. I just want everything to really pop off of the screen and look great.

High response time for gaming without having to using a gaming premade setting.

Relatively sleek with a small bezel.

Better than a FHD2400, which is what i'm back with now.

I'd really appreciate any input.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
What was wrong with the U2410? I've been saving up all the money I can to pick one up next month. Throw out some input so I know what to be weary of.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Kilometers Davis posted:

After blindly throwing money at a U2410 and being horribly disappointed, i'll be in the hunt for a new monitor soon. I need it to fit these guidelines:

$500 or under.

24"+, but not taller than 24" from the base to the top. I'm considering getting a 27" and get into the 2560x1440 thing, but i'm worried about how well I can push that resolution in games. How likely is it that the resolution will be more common and "accepted" by hardware in the future? I don't want to upgrade my entire computer just to play games like that.

Glossy

Vibrant colors, I'll be doing a bit of photography and art work, but IPS isn't really necessary or wanted. I just want everything to really pop off of the screen and look great.

High response time for gaming without having to using a gaming premade setting.

Relatively sleek with a small bezel.

Better than a FHD2400, which is what i'm back with now.

I'd really appreciate any input.

You're dreaming the impossible dream. Ask again when OLED screens no longer cost $16,000.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How is that impossible? There are plenty of monitors that fit my criteria, too many actually. That's why i'm asking for recommendations.

e: I'm guessing because of the sleek comment? I don't mean paper thin, just not massive and bulky.

Mitsune posted:

What was wrong with the U2410? I've been saving up all the money I can to pick one up next month. Throw out some input so I know what to be weary of.

The anti-glare coating is very, very, very noticeable on any image that isn't dark. It looks like there's a light coat of oil or grease over the screen. I'm quite picky, so it might not bother most people. I also never got used to the response time. I was always noticing the slight delay with my mouse.

That said, it's a great monitor if you can get past those things and if you like matte screens. The depth of color is pretty amazing.

If you're interested, mine is only about a month old and it's in perfect condition with a 3 year warranty. I'd be happy to work out a price with you.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 14, 2011

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
I wish I could buy it off your hands. Let me know pricing (unless you're interested in a LG W2361VG monitor ;)). Shoot me a PM if you can.

Thanks for the heads up though. I used to own a Dell U1905. I then upgraded to a widescreen monitor. Colors definitely pops out much more now, but I should have upgraded towards a U2410 for all the inputs that monitor has to offer (PC/PS3 gaming + movie watching). Now I'm wondering if I should stick with this LG for a little while longer or bite the bullet on a U2410.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Well, I'm still stupidly burning my retinas out with my BenQ FP241W. The overly bright backlighting has finally gotten to me, as I'm starting to get extremely sore eyes and headaches from it.

So, I need a replacement (or possibly replacements). Anybody got any ideas? I need something that I can use for general PC uses and PC gaming, as well as watching various media and occasional console gaming. From what I've seen, the only viable options are to get something like the U2410 which has a decent screen and a bunch of inputs, or get a relatively inexpensive TN monitor (or possibly an IPS like the U2311H when it goes on sale) for PC and PC gaming uses and then something like a good 32" HDTV for console gaming and to watch movies and stream media. I'm also trying to stick to a budget. The most I'd like to spend is probably ~$800 total if I were picking up both a monitor and TV.

Have colour reproduction and black depth improved at all on TN panels in the past couple of years? I mean in the sense that the colours they can actually display will be (at least mostly) accurate, and black will look black instead of just dark grey. Or is some form of IPS still the only real option right now if you want any kind of decent image quality? This isn't for an environment where I need a colour-perfect setup, but I do appreciate good colour reproduction.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 14, 2011

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

DrDork posted:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-asus-pa246q-summary.html?c=2&id=552 - however, they want money for the English version. The German version is freely available. They say it is a good monitor, the panel and electronic is basically the same as the Dell U2410, only settings and options are different.
Input lag is 21ms which means one frame. It seems to be pretty average for a IPS panel of this size. However, the Dell U2410 apparently has a more aggressive overdrive setting and manages 14ms with it.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Sinestro posted:

Basically, the time between the GPU sending a frame, and the display showing it. It is so bad that watching a movie looked like it was a powerpoint presentation and the ghosting made it look smeared across the screen.

I would recommend the U2311, the smaller resolution is better for what you want it for.

Why is the smaller screen size better for what I am looking for. I was thinking that a larger screen would be better for PS3 gaming and movie watching. I appreciate the tip that the Asus PA246Q is a dud, and I will go with a Dell, but why the 23 inch over the 24 inch?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

!amicable posted:

Why is the smaller screen size better for what I am looking for. I was thinking that a larger screen would be better for PS3 gaming and movie watching. I appreciate the tip that the Asus PA246Q is a dud, and I will go with a Dell, but why the 23 inch over the 24 inch?

The resolution is more suited to 16:9 ratio content, like console gaming and movies. Also, the U2410 is another name for (essentially) the same :cry:full panel.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
So it has nothing to do with screen size, but rather because I chose a 1920x1200 over a 1900x1080?

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

Jubala, Jubalo Jubalum
When running a dual monitor setup, how does it effect VRAM? If you have an SLI setup does it make a difference? Or will one card work for one monitor and another for the other. Forgive my lack of knowledge. Google fu is weak today.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

How is that impossible? There are plenty of monitors that fit my criteria, too many actually. That's why i'm asking for recommendations.
It's impossible if you want an IPS screen, I think is what he means. Otherwise, what you list for requirements isn't too hard to find, other than maybe the glossy part, and that's only because NewEgg doesn't seem to have a good way to search for a glossy screen (vice a glossy frame). While I don't have any particular model numbers to suggest to you, it sounds like you'd be pretty happy with one of the better-rated generic TN's on NewEgg. Look up some of the ASUS and Samsung models.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Sinestro posted:

The resolution is more suited to 16:9 ratio content, like console gaming and movies.
This is a pretty strange argument to make. Moves and whatnot come in all sorts of sizes and resolutions (doubly so if you're a pirate), and the extra 120 lines can be pretty useful if you want things like menu or control bars up without getting in the way of the actual video. Similarly with console gaming, it's only an issue at all if the monitor doesn't support 1:1 input; if it does, you just end up with minor black bars on the top and bottom and more vertical space to use in every other situation. The move to 16:9 was entirely so that monitor manufacturers could pad their pockets, not because it's actually "better" in any situation.

Now if you're argument is that 16:10 monitors are generally substantially more expensive than their 16:9 counterparts, ok, that's an argument I can go with.

As for recommendations for you, !amicable, the U2410 is a fantastic monitor and easily has the most inputs and 1:1 scaling, meaning the best console compatibility, but it's also quite expensive. The U2311H is, in fact, another good (and much cheaper) option, but you may run into input issues: it only has a VGA, DVI, and DP input, which may or may not work for you depending on what your setup involves. Remember that going from a DVI/HDMI output (like from a PS3/XBox360) to DP is going to cost you at least a $30 for an active adapter. On the other hand, it's literally half the price or less of the U2410, so a $30 adapter is a drop in the bucket at that point. If you still want a full 1920x1200 monitor, check out the ZR24W, which has the same screen as the U2410, minus a lot of the fancy calibration controls you'll never use anyhow.

e;

Manac0r posted:

When running a dual monitor setup, how does it effect VRAM? If you have an SLI setup does it make a difference? Or will one card work for one monitor and another for the other. Forgive my lack of knowledge. Google fu is weak today.
It'll just cost you a few MB for the framebuffer for the second monitor. And I do mean a few--a 1920x1080x32 frame is about 8MB or so. It's completely ignorable in today's age of 1GB+ video cards. SLI likewise really isn't going to be impacted by multiple monitors (assuming you mean you're gaming on one, while the other displays a web-page or other 2D content). If you actually have SLI set up properly, both cards should be involved in pushing both monitors (to my understanding--it's been awhile since I've looked into what nVidia is doing with that), whereas if you simply have two cards and don't have SLI set up or enabled, which card pushes which monitor depends simply on what you've got plugged in where. Eg, if you have two cards, two monitors, don't have SLI enabled, and one monitor plugged into each card, then they're completely independent, while if you plug them both into the same card, that card pushes both and the other one fucks off and takes a nap or something.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 14, 2011

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

DrDork posted:

As for recommendations for you, !amicable, the U2410 is a fantastic monitor and easily has the most inputs and 1:1 scaling, meaning the best console compatibility, but it's also quite expensive. The U2311H is, in fact, another good (and much cheaper) option, but you may run into input issues: it only has a VGA, DVI, and DP input, which may or may not work for you depending on what your setup involves. Remember that going from a DVI/HDMI output (like from a PS3/XBox360) to DP is going to cost you at least a $30 for an active adapter. On the other hand, it's literally half the price or less of the U2410, so a $30 adapter is a drop in the bucket at that point. If you still want a full 1920x1200 monitor, check out the ZR24W, which has the same screen as the U2410, minus a lot of the fancy calibration controls you'll never use anyhow.

I don't understand why I wouldn't want a 1920x1200 monitor. Is the argument "hur, black bars"? Or is there more to it?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Did you even read the post you quoted? The U2410 is a lot more expensive than the U2311H.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

!amicable posted:

I don't understand why I wouldn't want a 1920x1200 monitor. Is the argument "hur, black bars"? Or is there more to it?
No, that's my point--there isn't a reason to prefer x1080 over x1200, other than price. Too bad the price difference is usually a kick in the nuts.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

DrDork posted:

No, that's my point--there isn't a reason to prefer x1080 over x1200, other than price. Too bad the price difference is usually a kick in the nuts.

Hrm. I think abandoning the idea of having a TV for my PS3 lets me have a bit more wiggle room with monitors. Reasoning it out, $200 saved on a monitor should probably not be invested in in adding 20 pixels to a 24 inch monitor.

The replies about the previous Asus monitor seemed to say that the refresh was laggy, is that a problem endemic to all Asus LCDs? How about these two:

Asus MT276HE, 27"

and

Asus VW266H 25.5"

e:To clarify, I am looking at the digital signal frequency, and it gives the same range for all three models.
e2: Like so: 30~83 KHz(H)/ 50~76 Hz(V)

!amicable fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 14, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

!amicable posted:

The replies about the previous Asus monitor seemed to say that the refresh was laggy, is that a problem endemic to all Asus LCDs? How about these two:
Not at all. Many ASUS monitors are perfectly fine. However, to my knowledge that's ASUS's first try in that market segment with an IPS screen, and IPS monitors typically have more latency than TN monitors--though the 21ms noted in that review doesn't jive with Sinestro's first-hand reports of lovely rear end performance, so :iiam:

In any event, other ASUS monitors should be fine (I've got one of their VH242H's and it's a-ok).

As to looking at the signal frequency: don't. It's pretty much a meaningless number for your purposes, and in no way indicates whether a monitor will suffer from lag or latency. In fact, there is no published stat on any monitor anywhere that will inform you about such things, which is incredibly obnoxious. The only way to know is to get your hands on a review that actually tests it.

Also, if you're considering running without a TV, ensure you have a solution for sound. Many monitors have no support for sound of any sort, while some have internal (lovely) speakers, and still fewer have some form of audio pass-through that you could use to route the audio to your normal speakers or whatever. So you'd need to use the PS3's optical out, or look into getting a HDMI splitter box, which is $50 or so. Happily, it looks like both of the monitors you picked there support SPDIF out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Agrh. I knew I forgot something. So are those two Asus models I linked both TN? I want something that can be watched from oblique angles, and TN seems to be pretty limited in that respect.