Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Yeah this sounds like a disaster: American budgeting and project management combined with famed soviet engineering!! Two awful tastes that lead to dead astronauts together.

You do realize that the Russian space program has a better safety record than NASA, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nothus posted:

You do realize that the Russian space program has a better safety record than NASA, right?

By what metric? Deaths of astronauts alone? If so, that's a pretty lousy yard stick.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Nothus posted:

3 out of 5 shuttles making it to retirement isn't so bad...

Russia still wins on sheer lives lost through blatant disregard for safety, though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

grover posted:

3 out of 5 shuttles making it to retirement isn't so bad...

Russia still wins on sheer lives lost through blatant disregard for safety, though.

This would be when they accidentally vaporized 80 people? I remember that from an old LF thread on the Soviet space program.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nothus posted:

Publicly, sure, I'll go along with that. Most people know better, though.

Unless you're talking unmanned alone, then I'm not sure.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Nebakenezzer posted:

This would be when they accidentally vaporized 80 people? I remember that from an old LF thread on the Soviet space program.

78 officially, but more likely 120.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nedelin_catastrophe

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Soviet/Russian rocket failures are the best thing.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
What was the one with the video where chunks of burning metal are falling down around people? Did I imagine it?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Yeah, I forgot about that little episode. Still for sheer reliability in space travel, it's hard to beat the tried and true Soyuz.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

blambert posted:

What was the one with the video where chunks of burning metal are falling down around people? Did I imagine it?

Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KApLcKQ3Pu0

Edit: Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF0MgKSo7cI

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_aHEit-SqA

ApathyGifted fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 8, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Every time I watch these, I can't help but crack a smile at the sheer magnitude of understatement the "we've had an anomaly" is.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Boat posted:

Every time I watch these, I can't help but crack a smile at the sheer magnitude of understatement the "we've had an anomaly" is.

My personal favorite is the (partially faked) video of the Chinese Long March 3B rocket. It just barely clears the tower before instantly rotating 45 degrees and heading off into the night parallel to the ground.

I say it's faked because it cuts to footage of a town allegedly devastated by the rocket crashing into to it. The story went that an Israeli engineer working on the satellite that was to be launched filmed it and smuggled it out of China. Problem is, you don't see any evidence of fire. A little googling and wikipedia checking shows that there was a 7.0 earthquake in the area just 12 days before.

The rocket did crash into a village, killing 6, but the footage basically shows a small city that's been completely wrecked, which would have killed way more than 6 if a rocket had done it.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.

Boat posted:

It's almost so bad that you wonder if she's in a windowless room just looking at data, rather than the HUGE loving EXPLOSION outside.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

Yeah this sounds like a disaster: American budgeting and project management combined with famed soviet engineering!! Two awful tastes that lead to dead astronauts together.

I'm fairly sure that inferior Soviet rockets were taking stuff up to the space station every time a space shuttle crashed due to extreme conditions such as a small dog farting during launch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Scabrous Teat posted:

I'm fairly sure that inferior Soviet rockets were taking stuff up to the space station every time a space shuttle crashed due to extreme conditions such as a small dog farting during launch.

Yeah, that's clearly his point. Pull the sickle out of your rear end.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Kilonum posted:

Man, seeing your avatar freaked me out for a second, I thought I sleep-posted or something.

The Great Tennessee Air Show has come and gone, unfortunately there was rain and overcast conditions for 85% of the show but I was able to stand right on the tarmac and get circled by two F-15E's at 100-150 feet which more than made the show for me.

McDonnell Douglas F-15E Strike Eagle by Silenus81, on Flickr

U.S. Air Force - Thunderbirds by Silenus81, on Flickr

U.S. Air Force - Thunderbird #5 by Silenus81, on Flickr

Interestingly enough, I may have caught a panel detaching from one of the F-15E jets. The demo team posted on their facebook that a panel flew off sometime during their show and they were looking for photos to determine when/where it came off and I went through mine and noticed this:

DSC_8672-crop by Silenus81, on Flickr
I sent them the original photo and a google map with the area it was over marked, hopefully it solves their mystery.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Tail Flash indicates they're out of Seymour Johnson AFB, couldn't tell you what squadron though.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Kilonum posted:

Tail Flash indicates they're out of Seymour Johnson AFB, couldn't tell you what squadron though.

4th Fighter Wing, 333rd Squadron. The serial numbers of the two jets are 87-0179 and 87-0171. :)

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 9, 2011

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's an interesting pair of avatars...

Did the Tbirds upgrade/replace their jets in the past few years?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I think in 2008 they received block 52s. Mo powa. I believe the Blue Angels are also slowly transitioning to C model Hornets to replace their aging As, which are some of the earliest Hornets built.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

52s would explain it. And yeah, I've heard the same about the Blue Angels.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

PREYING MANTITS posted:

DSC_8672-crop by Silenus81, on Flickr
I sent them the original photo and a google map with the area it was over marked, hopefully it solves their mystery.

Updating this, I found what's most likely the panel. Assuming they let me keep it I'm going to beg to get the demo team to sign it or something because how cool would that be? haha.

Possible panel off F-15E by Silenus81, on Flickr

edit: vvv -- hah, I certainly wouldn't be against that idea! Something tells me I'd be on one of those highlight videos where the pilots try to make their passenger pass out by pulling g's though.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 10, 2011

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Updating this, I found what's most likely the panel. Assuming they let me keep it I'm going to beg to get the demo team to sign it or something because how cool would that be? haha.

Wow thats really awesome. They should give you a free ride along for finding it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wow, well done!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

PREYING MANTITS posted:

edit: vvv -- hah, I certainly wouldn't be against that idea! Something tells me I'd be on one of those highlight videos where the pilots try to make their passenger pass out by pulling g's though.

That's awesome. Good for you finding it. Hopefully they won't be asses about it and demand it back as US Government Property. A little reward would be nice. :)

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks guys! :)

slidebite posted:

That's awesome. Good for you finding it. Hopefully they won't be asses about it and demand it back as US Government Property. A little reward would be nice. :)

Yeah that's kind of what I'm expecting them to do, but hopefully they'll be cool about it. Worst case scenario I'll probably get a couple patches and a thank you letter which still isn't too bad, but I'd rather have a signed piece of a fighter jet!

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Woohoo! Just got announced today that my local AFB is going to have the Thunderbirds at their open house this fall. First time we will have had them since 2006. Not a huge thing but it deffinitely means I'll be dragging the family out there this year.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
The 80s in Memphis was a pretty good time for air shows. They would have them down by the river, as well as shows at the nearby Millington Naval Air Station and Blytheville (Eaker) Air Force Base. Eaker closed in the 90s and Millington was reduced to Naval Support Activity, so there's not as much going on.

I saw the Thunderbirds several times by the river, and saw the Blue Angels in Millington. Blytheville was where I first experienced a sonic boom--an F-4 Phantom zipped over the tarmac, and the entire crowd flattened in bowel-shaking terror. I was around nine and I was lying on the concrete, scared to death.

Right after the Gulf War, I got to see an F-117 up close, which was pretty cool, and later it was possible to get B-2s to do flyovers from their base in Missouri. Cool stuff, but I haven't been to one in years, and I finally have decent camera equipment. I really ought to hit up the next one.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

benito posted:

I saw the Thunderbirds several times by the river, and saw the Blue Angels in Millington. Blytheville was where I first experienced a sonic boom--an F-4 Phantom zipped over the tarmac,

I was watching Iron Eagle IV, and was struck by how much MIG-29's apparently look like F-4 Phantoms. Like, they're apparently pretty much identical.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

Tindjin posted:

Woohoo! Just got announced today that my local AFB is going to have the Thunderbirds at their open house this fall. First time we will have had them since 2006. Not a huge thing but it deffinitely means I'll be dragging the family out there this year.

They put on a pretty good show here, so I hope they make as good of a showing for you too! I do have to admit though, I'm more of a Blue Angels fan myself, I think it's just the sweet sound of an F-18 that warms my heart. :)

They've apparently been booked for the 2012 air show here, which is cool. I'm surprised they were able to pull both the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels after a 2 year hiatus on any shows since I've heard competition is pretty fierce to book either of them.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Portsmouth-Boston Air Show pretty much always gets Thunderbirds. Then again it's at a former SAC base that is now a reliever airport for Logan and is the NH ANG base.

When South Weymouth Naval Air Station was still open they always seemed to snag the Blue Angels, as did Cecil Field in Jacksonville. The latter my family went to every year when we lived there.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Concept images of the F-35 in Thunderbirds paint:

Doesn't really look quite right to me, but I always loved the old designs like the T-33:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

benito posted:

Doesn't really look quite right to me, but I always loved the old designs like the T-33:

Love it.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhUR-Fj_dIY&feature=player_embedded

STOL Competition

quote:

This year Doyle was able to fly Mike Olson’s Cuzoom into first place with a 43-foot take-off and a 35-foot landing.

The video is crazy to watch. Knife edge flying indeed.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

c355n4 posted:

STOL Competition

That's some crazy poo poo.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Those pilots are pretty ballsy.

I've always been partial to the STOL comp outtakes, featuring people who got on the brakes just a little too hard on the landing (see the latter half of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuE2cW8NMx8)

Jeece
Feb 11, 2005

c355n4 posted:

STOL Competition

:confused: "Doc, we better back up. We don't have enough runway to get up to V2."
:smug: "Runway? Where we're going, we don't need runways."

Impressive! Never thought it would be possible... unless facing an hurricane. I guess the airflow from the propeller helps to get some lift?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Those things are tweaked so precisely that the prop wash is enough to get the tail off the ground.

I love the huge tires on some of them too. Just bounce it on the surface and done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMlgc1saHs

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

benito posted:

Here is a restored Canadian F86 Golden Hawk flying with a Hornet in the Canadian Centennial of flight colors.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I love STOL bush planes, I particularly like the little tricks some of them have, like a button to pneumatically retract the flaps to kill the lift so they can hit maximum braking.

I'd love to pop the 31" abw tyres on the husky but as I'm mainly based from tarmac at the moment the wear would be ridiculous, in the future will prob pop for the 26" goodyears as they're a better compromise for varied use. 6 psi or so on such a big tyre must great for rolling over obstacles.