Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Phone posted:

gently caress you. RT-615s are a god awful tire.

I am starting to agree. Those were on my car when I bought it. Good enough grip. The thing that bugs me the most it that they do not make any noise whatsoever. Hard thru a corner- silent. Burnout, complete with a bit of smoke- silent. Locked up the brakes- silent. Maybe it's just my set but it's unnerving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

To be fair, they utterly blew away the competition like 5 years ago or whatever. But yeah, 'tire technology' overall has gotten crazy better in that time.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

The azenis really are awful. I've had the original 615s, re-01r's, and star specs. The azenis are not even in the same class as the other two, pitiful in the rain, and degrade like crazy when the weather drops below 50 where the other two tires are just fine. A 45 degree morning drive to a spring autox with light rain was like driving on ice. We should never speak of these again, there are much better choices now.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

FatCow posted:

That would be the RT-615, you can tell because it doesn't have a 'K'.

e:
the 615Ks are more expensive than pretty much everything in Miata sizes.

I meant the ones before the 615's. Dunno where that K came from. :downs:

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I'm still running some TR-1s and it's proving really frustrating in this crazy weather this year because under like 50 degrees they like to start to slip in hard corners and the temperature's been dropping that low pretty frequently this spring.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Piano posted:

I really like this car, even though it probably steers like a big ol' bag of poop.

I adore the color and license plate delete, though what happens when you take the top off? But the wheel clearance ruins it :(.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Beach Bum posted:

I meant the ones before the 615's. Dunno where that K came from. :downs:

Ah yes, a tire that hasn't been made for at least 5 years

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I really like the 615's. Couldn't beat them for the price back then and they were perfect on track when the car was NA. I never noticed any lack of grip or greasyness I've heard people bitch about either. With that said, I'm definitely getting RS3's once they wear out as I've got some 6UL's just sitting here waiting for them in the closet.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Phone posted:

Ah yes, a tire that hasn't been made for at least 5 years

You want me to take a picture for you?

EDIT: Here's pictures.

And while I'm browsing

I have since fixed the absolutely horrible headlight cover fitment.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 13, 2011

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Can I get the original pic of the RT-215 sidewall? I want to see when the date of manufacture was.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I bought some new tires for my Miata.

They are black and round, and kinda push back when you poke them. They make less noise than the old tires. I'm told they have air in them.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

GD_American posted:

I'm told they have air in them.

Huff dis tire air man

WHOAAAAAA

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
So it's new brakes time. While I'm under there, I'd like to replace all the rotors (I know one is warped, and all of them have already been turned), and might as well upgrade the lines too.

Anyone got a link to a good kit with drilled/vented/or both rotors, braided or stainless brake lines and some nice pads?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
No such thing as warped rotors; there's material deposit on the rotor surface.

As for brakes, just get NAPA branded blank rotors, pick up whatever SS kit is cheaper on 949racing or FM, and buy a decent set of pads off of Tire Rack (Hawk HPS?).

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Doing the rotors and pads is no reason to go with braided lines. It's not like it will be any easier at that point, and in my book, stainless lines are basically worthless until you're at full-on race car level.

Since it sounds like you want performance, good DOT4 fluid, a set of quality front street/track pads and stock rotors is all you need.

Drilled/slotted rotors would actually be a step backwards, they crack and can tear up pads. Go with stock rotors.
You can get a set for ~$100 here http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...20Brake%20Rotor

I love Ferodo DS2500 pads myself. I've done 10k miles and 4 track days on mine so far and have never had a hiccup.

aventari fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 15, 2011

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Two questions:

I remember reading something about the fuel injection going into open loop mode above 4000 rpm. Does it do this on my 99?

And when my 99 is cold, I get noticeable hesitation around 2700 RPM when at more than 1/2 throttle as it's accelerating. As it warms up, it quickly goes away. Any ideas?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

aventari posted:

Drilled/slotted rotors would actually be a step backwards, they crack and can tear up pads. Go with stock rotors.
You can get a set for ~$100 here http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...20Brake%20Rotor

That's per rotor.

http://www.knsbrakes.com/searchResults.php?car_id=525

The Centric standard rotors are what I use on my `97 track car. $68.10 for a set, guy is local to me so no shipping.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

FatCow posted:

That's per rotor.

http://www.knsbrakes.com/searchResults.php?car_id=525

The Centric standard rotors are what I use on my `97 track car. $68.10 for a set, guy is local to me so no shipping.

well he said "all of the rotors" and that meant all 4 to me :confused:
$38.77x2 front
$17.35x2 rear
=$112.24

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I somehow missed the regular/sale price and just saw the list prices.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I can get all 4 rotors for my '91 for $40.46 on rockauto.

The 1.8 brakes came out to $58.18, however

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So my muffler rusted off the pipe today and all of a sudden I had straight pipes! The sound is awful and it's banging around all over the place. What should I do now? Looking for low cost options, muffler weld from autozone, get someone to try to weld it, buy a cheapo one off ebay(cheap upgrade maybe)? I was looking on CL but no one seems to have any for sale locally.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Russian Bear posted:

So my muffler rusted off the pipe today and all of a sudden I had straight pipes! The sound is awful and it's banging around all over the place. What should I do now? Looking for low cost options, muffler weld from autozone, get someone to try to weld it, buy a cheapo one off ebay(cheap upgrade maybe)? I was looking on CL but no one seems to have any for sale locally.

Your best option is really to go to a muffler shop and have them re-weld it/weld on a new one.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I was pretty set on Koni Yellows, GC coilover springs and NB hats, but now I'm waffling a little bit.

Before I place an order, is there anything else I should be considering on a ~$1000 budget?

My understanding is that most coilovers in that price range aren't comparable performance and durability wise...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Save up a bit and spring for FCM? The Xida Clubsports are 2k+ iirc, but if you're in no rush, I'd recommend getting FCMs instead of rolling out own custom GC package + whatever shocks.

e: for the record FCMs are 1722 shipped

Phone fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 20, 2011

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I'm going to rattle can my stock '01 sport wheels white tomorrow. It's gonna own.

edit: doing this Sunday. Some might think it's retarded to paint stock wheels but mine are in need of filler to rough out the scrapes on them so I might as well paint them. I also need some practice painting wheels for when I get my 6UL's.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 21, 2011

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Phone posted:

Save up a bit and spring for FCM? The Xida Clubsports are 2k+ iirc, but if you're in no rush, I'd recommend getting FCMs instead of rolling out own custom GC package + whatever shocks.

e: for the record FCMs are 1722 shipped

Are the FCMs so good that they're worth the big bump in price? They're monotube custom valved Bilsteins with Eibach coilover springs, right?

Sorry if I sound overly critical, if it was only 2-300 over budget I'd be more willing to make the jump, but for 75% more I'm not sure.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Here's what stock NB wheels look like after a rattle can respray. Pretty good I think. Don't hate. Too broke for real wheels right now.

edit: replies to this thread, 6666 :tinfoil:

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 22, 2011

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

They look really good. What kind of paint did you use? Wheels take a beating from rocks and dust, so unless it's really strong stuff I would imagine it would scratch ff pretty quickly.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I sanded them down, 3 coats of adhesive promotor, 3 coats of filler primer, 4 coats of color, and 3 coats of wheel specific clearcoat (duplicolor). after another day i'm going to do a couple more coats of clear just to be safe.

Honestly they are stock wheels and I plan on getting new wheels in a couple months so if they last that long, great. I just wanted to paint something.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Speaking of wheels...

Assuming the same dimensions and offset, how would handling be affected if the rear wheels were a couple lbs heavier each compared to the front wheels? Same tires, not staggered in the traditional sense, etc- would it throw off the handling whatsoever- anywhere near the same way that staggering would?

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
When I bought my NA Miata back in February, it came with a full tonneau cover. It has the 4 clips on the dash and 2 buttons on the mirrors. I used it one day to go to the grocery store with the top down. I'm not too fond of it. To me, it's a pain in the rear end.

Would anyone here be interested in buying it before I stick it up on craigslist?

I'm a socal goon.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
What color is it?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

oh rly posted:

When I bought my NA Miata back in February, it came with a full tonneau cover. It has the 4 clips on the dash and 2 buttons on the mirrors. I used it one day to go to the grocery store with the top down. I'm not too fond of it. To me, it's a pain in the rear end.

Would anyone here be interested in buying it before I stick it up on craigslist?

I'm a socal goon.

I really love the idea of them. I've never seen one in the UK :(

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Tactical Bonnet posted:

What color is it?

It is black. I'll check when I get home who makes it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

First Time Caller posted:

I also need some practice painting wheels for when I get my 6UL's.

You will get nickel 6UL's, and you will NOT paint them. :colbert:

Seriously though, what color are you planning on painting them?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 25, 2011

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
I was going to paint my black center polished lip 6ULs white. Not sure if I want to paint the lips though.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Painted my track wheels today :)

nothing special, just cleaned them with camp fuel, then dish soap then sprayed 2 coats of "Safety Orange"

aventari fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 26, 2011

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
I approve of the color but you really should have at least tried to mask the tires off :/

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

destructo posted:

I approve of the color but you really should have at least tried to mask the tires off :/

It's obvious who has been to the track and who hasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Heh, why did you even bother to clean them if you were going to paint the tires too?

That said, I think it looks hilarious and nutty :)