Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

teethgrinder posted:

Die Krupps cancelled opening for FLA/m.i.a.b. in Toronto

Conjure One is opening instead!!

loving hate living in the UK, I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

teethgrinder posted:

Die Krupps cancelled opening for FLA/m.i.a.b. in Toronto

Conjure One is opening instead!!

Dismantled is replacing Die Krupps for the US leg of the tour.

I would like to see him live, even though I think he's kind of a douche.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
It's crazy how either Ohgr is too "poppy" or Skinny Puppy is too "brooding", the DIMD album was too dirty and the others are too happy...

The contrast between what fans desire out of Skinny Puppy and Ohgr is ridiculous.

Either way I wouldn't blame Mark Walk if you don't like it, as they have all stated the music they've written is exactly what they wanted. Especially the myth that Cevin didn't have the majority of control over the last to SP albums.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Furret Basket posted:

loving hate living in the UK, I swear.
But at least visiting Germany isn't quite as big a production, right? I'm amazed European bands even bother coming here to play.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The new ohGr is pretty loving good.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Cleaner posted:

It's crazy how either Ohgr is too "poppy" or Skinny Puppy is too "brooding", the DIMD album was too dirty and the others are too happy...
I really enjoyed DIMD, and have given unDeveloped several plays and find it be equally rewarding, but in a fairly different manner.

The Cleaner posted:

The contrast between what fans desire out of Skinny Puppy and Ohgr is ridiculous.
I don't see it so much out of ohGr, but every time a new Puppy album is rumored to show up there's an inevitable outpour of "MORE LAST RIGHTS! MORE MOVIE SAMPLES! GET BACK TO BRAP! MORE GUITAR! MORE DRUGS! UGHALUGAHLUGH MAKE WEED JOKES AND THE SEQUEL TO WORLOCK!" It definitely grows tiresome.

The Cleaner posted:

the myth that Cevin didn't have the majority of control over the last to SP albums.
Yeah, that one needs to die and never be resurrected. Walk himself has refuted those accusations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I need to listen to the new ohGr again, but I wasn't a huge fan. I liked the first few songs, but I think screwMe in particular was atrocious.

But my favourite SP album is The Process, so I'm one of those.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

This just in: Turmion Kätilöt (and a bunch of other Finnish bands that are vastly inferior) are playing their first ever concert abroads at the K17 club in Berlin on September 17th!

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

somethingwicked posted:

Dismantled is replacing Die Krupps for the US leg of the tour.

I would like to see him live, even though I think he's kind of a douche.

Hm, I'd like to see Dismantled live. I never have caught Front Line Assembly live. Are they any good? I've always been a little bit leery after that fake Bill Leeb incident a while back.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Hm, I'd like to see Dismantled live. I never have caught Front Line Assembly live. Are they any good? I've always been a little bit leery after that fake Bill Leeb incident a while back.

I saw them when they toured for Implode. I thought it was a pretty weak show, but I'm going to see them on this tour anyway, because, hey, nothing wrong with having a few beers and hearing some movie samples.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I saw FLA live at Amphi Festival last year, I thought they were pretty drat fine. Leeb seemed a bit tired for the first couple of songs or so, but started gaining more energy after that. The new IED material worked fantastic live.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Ha-Ha the wikipedia article on Marilyn Manson specifically names Skold as the the former vocalist of Shotgun Messiah. None of his other bands are mentioned.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I just got the new Necro Facility signed preorder disc. The I found the preview on soundcloud, loving gently caress, I´m not even going to rip this. They went pop as was expected.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I've seen FLA twice, once at Infest and once in a small venue in Manchester. I might be biased since I love them more than anything but they were two of the best hours of my life.

got to touch Bleeb, not ashamed to admit

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

hatelull posted:

Or, is this just a grandiose way of saying "Last Rights was the last proper Puppy album, and everything else has been varied attempts at fail."

Man, I hate this. It's completely ridiculous and very short-sighted. I don't get people who think like this.

Everyone know Too Dark Park was the last proper Skinny Puppy album. :smugdog:

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

W424 posted:

I just got the new Necro Facility signed preorder disc. The I found the preview on soundcloud, loving gently caress, I´m not even going to rip this. They went pop as was expected.

POP? in my Swedish electro outfit?!?!

It's more likely than you think.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

W424 posted:

Yeah when I managed to talk a bit with Dead When I Found Her when they played they were like "Yeah I really liked Necro Facility but they showed me some stuff from their upcoming album, and it's total Fallout Boy eyeliner goth bullshit and it's disappointing because they're better than that."

What a shame.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Zaiquiri posted:

Yeah when I managed to talk a bit with Dead When I Found Her when they played they were like "Yeah I really liked Necro Facility but they showed me some stuff from their upcoming album, and it's total Fallout Boy eyeliner goth bullshit and it's disappointing because they're better than that."

What a shame.

Which track sounds like fallout boy? I fancy a good belly-laugh.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Jose Mengelez posted:

Which track sounds like fallout boy? I fancy a good belly-laugh.

I think he was referring more to the image than the actual sound. I haven't heard any of the songs. Pretty sure he just meant their music got really poppy and bad.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Seems More 'synth poppy' than 'pop punky/emo' overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C4RP9TJ408

front line assemblyish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XAYm2ZH0V8

depeche mode/new orderish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs8Gn3BY7T0

hahah OK, that chorus is a little bit emo no matter how much distortion you stick over the vocals, 1 point to Arthur I guess.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Jose Mengelez posted:

Seems More 'synth poppy' than 'pop punky/emo' overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C4RP9TJ408

front line assemblyish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XAYm2ZH0V8

depeche mode/new orderish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs8Gn3BY7T0

hahah OK, that chorus is a little bit emo no matter how much distortion you stick over the vocals, 1 point to Arthur I guess.

Man I hope 90's radio industrial rock never becomes retro. Gotta admit I like that second track though.

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
I'm really digging the new Necro Facility V:downs:V

Samael Jackson
Aug 26, 2008

POWER OF THE MACK DAD
I thought dimd was okay, but I already like undeveloped more after hearing it once.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Anyone ever get that feeling of frustration with music where suddenly you find yourself thinking that everything is completely inane, redundant loving poo poo apart from that band? I've noticed myself thinking that a whole lot of more often than before since I was introduced to Project Pitchfork. gently caress you, Peter Spilles, for ruining music for me.

Now playing Project Pitchfork - If I Could

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Anyone ever get that feeling of frustration with music where suddenly you find yourself thinking that everything is completely inane, redundant loving poo poo apart from that band? I've noticed myself thinking that a whole lot of more often than before since I was introduced to Project Pitchfork. gently caress you, Peter Spilles, for ruining music for me.

Now playing Project Pitchfork - If I Could

I get that feeling of frustration where I suddenly find myself thinking that everything is completely inane, redundant loving poo poo including life, the universe and everything.

Then I usually listen to some vnv nation, smoke a fat joint and solemnly pump my fist into the air until I man the gently caress up.

420 stomp to phat 4/4 beats and arpeggiated synths 'erry day.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Anyone ever get that feeling of frustration with music where suddenly you find yourself thinking that everything is completely inane, redundant loving poo poo apart from that band?

For me it's the new OhGr album excluded as it's not trying to sound like anything, let alone "indoostrial".

99% of new industrial artists with their 4|4 mechanized dance beat, growly faux-angst vocals, predictable NIN-ish arpeggiator and trite chorus repeating "power! corruption!" in military jackets.. loving STOP IT IT GOT OLD BACK IN 1992.

Try a different spin on things for Christ sake. I realize it's a set genre and that some people are content buying the same album until they die. But that doesn't mean you can't grow and experiment.

Mind.In.A.Box I'm not really into but I respect for doing it a little different. Or Dead When I Found Her for taking something that technically should sound inane stereotypical 80's industrial yet instead sounds like a breath of fresh air to the style.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I tried some of the Dead When I Found Her tracks, based on suggestions here and other places. I could never really get into it passed the surface sound. They are definitely great at what they do, but it really did nothing for me. If anything, they just made me want to go listen to the classic Puppy albums again.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

The Cleaner posted:

99% of new industrial artists with their 4|4 mechanized dance beat, growly faux-angst vocals, predictable NIN-ish arpeggiator and trite chorus repeating "power! corruption!" in military jackets.. loving STOP IT IT GOT OLD BACK IN 1992.

Bought a couple of recent compilations and jesus, it's embarassing how indistinguishable some of the tracks by different bands are. The DOOF DOOF DOOF SAMPLE DOOF DOOF DOOF of bands like Noisuf-X, xRx and so on, the various Combichristalikes and the Suicide Commando/Hocico clones. I mean, I don't have any objection to that kind of thing in a club. It's fun to dance to for sure, but for listening at home it's just plain boring.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
Yeah the past few years I grew pretty bored with most modern industrial music. Like, it sounds like all the kids that listened to it in the 90's grew up and are writing music, and are just trying to make it sound like a specific handful of bands, or just write a club hit. It's like the music version of fan fiction, almost.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
It's 'cause whenever something truly unique comes along it gets labelled as a subgenre and then done to death. Eventually these imitators try to fly the nest and do something original but by then the fanbase (who've come to expect VNV Nation clone #948 or Combichrist Clone #186) usually start throwing a massive shitfit*.

It's the consumers who ultimately dictate which artists sink or swim and it sometimes seems to me (somewhat ironically) that a lot of people in this scene tend to be quite reactionary and prone to a fair bit of herd mentality.

I still like the fact that every now and again I'll hear something great that I've never heard before or a new act will come along push all my buttons just right. After all, you need to eat a lot of aggrotech roughage to find diamonds in your poo poo... or something like that anyway.

Zaiquiri posted:

Yeah the past few years I grew pretty bored with most modern industrial music. Like, it sounds like all the kids that listened to it in the 90's grew up and are writing music, and are just trying to make it sound like a specific handful of bands, or just write a club hit. It's like the music version of fan fiction, almost.

Pretty much. Aiming to write a club hit is probably the lesser of the two evils though (by a hair's breadth). It at least requires some kind of critical consensus to happen (or a fucktonne of nigh-on inescapable promotional material *cough* ashbury heights *cough*.)

*I.E me, whenever apop gets mentioned. :argh:

:edit: wow, a lot of ropey metaphors in this post.

Jose Mengelez fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 13, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Jose Mengelez posted:

(or a fucktonne of nigh-on inescapable promotional material *cough* ashbury heights *cough*.)
I really think Ashbury Heights' music holds up to scrutiny. And while I don't like it as much, I appreciate that he went in a complete gently caress off direction for the second album, which suitably resulted in half his fanbase turning to hysterics online because of how "awful" it was.

Now a band that I think is the definition of what you were saying is Helalyn Flowers http://www.helalynflowers.com/

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Don't get me wrong, I feel ashbury heights are definately able to stand on their own merits but the PR blitz was pretty full on. I realize the blame lies with the label and not the artists though.

I'd actually not heard of hellalyn flowers before, but I have been living under a rock on mars this year. Still, Kinda wish I hadn't after hearing them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I liked "E-Race Generation" but overall Helalyn Flowers is pretty meh. Reminds me of Lunascape, whose "Chemical Lingo" was on a handful of comps but was the only vaguely interesting thing on their album.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I was convinced to buy the CD by a conversation that went something like, "oh, you like Ashbury Heights?? You have GOT to try Helalyn Flowers!!!"

On the other hand, a similar conversation lead me to Din [a] Tod whom people here might actually like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGE8YR63QHk

A bit repetitive, but I like the Cure-like lead bass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTlUgFvOgSo

Really like Ephedrine Logic too:

http://grooveshark.com/s/Ephedrine+Logic/3qekji?src=5

It has a cool build-up on the album.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 13, 2011

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

I really think Ashbury Heights' music holds up to scrutiny. And while I don't like it as much, I appreciate that he went in a complete gently caress off direction for the second album, which suitably resulted in half his fanbase turning to hysterics online because of how "awful" it was.

Now a band that I think is the definition of what you were saying is Helalyn Flowers http://www.helalynflowers.com/

Helalyn Flowers is just straight-up embarrassing.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Bought a couple of recent compilations and jesus, it's embarassing how indistinguishable some of the tracks by different bands are. The DOOF DOOF DOOF SAMPLE DOOF DOOF DOOF of bands like Noisuf-X, xRx and so on, the various Combichristalikes and the Suicide Commando/Hocico clones.

This is exactly why I stopped listening in early 2000, it was either futurepop or terrorEBM. Suicide Commando/Hocico is about the worst thing to happen to any genre ever.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

W424 posted:

This is exactly why I stopped listening in early 2000, it was either futurepop or terrorEBM. Suicide Commando/Hocico is about the worst thing to happen to any genre ever.

At least futurepop artists could branch out to make more synthpop or new wave or electroclashy sounding stuff. Where does a terror EBM band like Suicide Commando or Combichrist evolve to? Well obviously to nowhere listening to some random newer stuff by them. That stuff drove me out of listening to industrial too.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Not exactly the same, but Aesthetic Perfection releasing a futurepop album as "Necessary Response" was pretty awesome. Bands can always rebrand.

http://grooveshark.com/s/Forever/2BlC0F?src=5

Now we just need Essential Retort, Immediate Repercussion, etc.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

teethgrinder posted:

Not exactly the same, but Aesthetic Perfection releasing a futurepop album as "Necessary Response" was pretty awesome. Bands can always rebrand.

http://grooveshark.com/s/Forever/2BlC0F?src=5

Now we just need Essential Retort, Immediate Repercussion, etc.

I was actually going to post this but I wanted to listen to the album again before recommending it. The Necessary Response album is pretty good. Nothing that makes you go "holy poo poo this is amazing" but it is very listenable and enjoyable without reminding you why you never bother listening to new artists anymore. I hope he makes a second album. I like Aesthetic Perfection too, but this is much more my style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

teethgrinder posted:

Really like Ephedrine Logic too:

http://grooveshark.com/s/Ephedrine+Logic/3qekji?src=5

Is that supposed to be a play on The Sister's Amphetamine Logic?