Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezrael
May 1, 2005
the bagel is an adequate vessel of nutrition
Speaking of Fiat, I saw my first 500 earlier today. Then I saw another, and another. It was kind of uncanny, but regardless I'm gonna have to test one out on the weekend. They look pretty fun, and Fiat's definitely got some cache to it; for now anyhow. I guess that feeling will pass, much like the novelty of the Smart car.

Also, strangely, I want to see the new Beetle in person.

:gay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
The more I read about the so-called "New Beetle", the less enthusiastic I am about it. It's more of a facelift than a redesign, nothing new on the engine front (2.5L I5 or 2.0T I4), and VW's own marketing seems to concentrate on ambient lighting, red brake calipers, Fender-branded sound system and stuff like that. If I'm ever in the market for a fashion accessory I'll keep it in mind...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

el topo posted:

The more I read about the so-called "New Beetle", the less enthusiastic I am about it. It's more of a facelift than a redesign, nothing new on the engine front (2.5L I5 or 2.0T I4), and VW's own marketing seems to concentrate on ambient lighting, red brake calipers, Fender-branded sound system and stuff like that. If I'm ever in the market for a fashion accessory I'll keep it in mind...

The old Beetle never even got the 2.0T, did it?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The new one has IRS too I think.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is the new one just a MKVI in a Beetle suit?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kimbo305 posted:

The old Beetle never even got the 2.0T, did it?

It got the 1.8T but not the 2.0T.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Is the new one just a MKVI in a Beetle suit?

Yup.

Then again, most of VW's current cars are based on that platform:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_A_platform#A5_.28PQ35.29

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Jezrael posted:

Speaking of Fiat, I saw my first 500 earlier today. Then I saw another, and another. It was kind of uncanny, but regardless I'm gonna have to test one out on the weekend. They look pretty fun, and Fiat's definitely got some cache to it; for now anyhow. I guess that feeling will pass, much like the novelty of the Smart car.

I test drove one about a month ago and it was a really fun car. Underpowered, slightly scary next to a semi, but overall really fun to drive. I can imagine that feeling waning the longer you own one, like you say, but easy parking and maneuvering is not to be overlooked.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Jezrael posted:

I got to ride in one at a Chrysler event and my boss (who was driving it) said the same as the poster above me: slightly under-powered but handles well and is really fun to drive. 50 more HP and it'd be perfect.

Other than that, the rear seat is a complete joke.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Thwomp posted:

50 more HP and it'd be perfect.

Funny you should say that because in about 18 months this happens

Oh and it will have 75 more horsepower :holy:

heat fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 13, 2011

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Thwomp posted:

Other than that, the rear seat is a complete joke.

Yeah, I saw one on the street the other day and couldn't help but think that it's really not suitable if you have, you know, legs. Not as bad as that convertible Lexus coupe (WTF was Lexus thinking), but not that much better. But then it IS a tiny city car sold for its maneuverability and ease of parking.

OTOH yesterday I got in the back seat of a standard Mini along with a 6' tall coworker and we were both impressed. That car has more rear legroom than my A4.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

el topo posted:

Yeah, I saw one on the street the other day and couldn't help but think that it's really not suitable if you have, you know, legs. Not as bad as that convertible Lexus coupe (WTF was Lexus thinking), but not that much better. But then it IS a tiny city car sold for its maneuverability and ease of parking.

OTOH yesterday I got in the back seat of a standard Mini along with a 6' tall coworker and we were both impressed. That car has more rear legroom than my A4.
The back seats are small, but functional- I wouldn't call them a joke, as they are large enough to physically fit two adults. Unlike many other token rear seats I've seen, the driver's seat did NOT literally press into the rear seat when slid full back, and would have been fine for a kid, even at full press. The luggage compartment is a pretty bad joke, though. Can't even fit two rollaboards into it due to the shape.

We had 3 adults and all our luggage in the Fiat 500 I had in Europe a few weeks ago. And no, it was not comfortable. Thankfully, two of us packed light and just had our rollaboards, and we only had one "real" suitcase to jam in... and that took some doing! It was OK for a 15 minute drive to the airport; I wouldn't want to have tried to cross Europe like that.

grover fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 13, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

heat posted:

Funny you should say that because in about 18 months this happens

Oh and it will have 75 more horsepower :holy:

I don't see this being priced competively with the Cooper S. I dunno about other places, but in Boston, the S outnumbers the base Cooper about 4 to 1. Obviously there's saturation for the Mini, but if the Abarth SS is too expensive, it's not going to win many conquests.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

kimbo305 posted:

I don't see this being priced competively with the Cooper S. I dunno about other places, but in Boston, the S outnumbers the base Cooper about 4 to 1. Obviously there's saturation for the Mini, but if the Abarth SS is too expensive, it's not going to win many conquests.

It will almost certainly be cheaper than a Cooper S. The base 500 is almost $5k cheaper than a base Cooper.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

The 500 SS is just under 10% cheaper than the Cooper S in the UK, so there isn't really much in it. I'd choose the Fiat, even if they cost the same.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

heat posted:

It will almost certainly be cheaper than a Cooper S. The base 500 is almost $5k cheaper than a base Cooper.

It's $4000 for Base vs Cooper, although the base model is reasonably well equipped and not just a get-them-in-the-door model.

InitialDave posted:

The 500 SS is just under 10% cheaper than the Cooper S in the UK, so there isn't really much in it. I'd choose the Fiat, even if they cost the same.

There's no way the SS won't come with a markup over here. The first 1000 or so SS are essentially spoken for no matter what the price, simply because of the image the car will afford. After that first push, I hope they lower the price quite a bit, because it'll really need some help getting traction in a still pretty small market.

e:

KozmoNaut posted:

It got the 1.8T but not the 2.0T.

In the US, it hasn't even had the turbo since 2005, so the new Beetle at least is getting some performance back. I think it's legit to call it a new model, not a mere facelift.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 13, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

kimbo305 posted:

I think it's legit to call it a new model, not a mere facelift.

New chassis, new body, new engines, new interior, new wheels...

What more does it need to have to call it a new model?

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Keep in mind that the SS kit will add an additional couple thousand bucks on top of the regular Abarth (which is what I'm talking about)

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

el topo posted:

If I'm ever in the market for a fashion accessory I'll keep it in mind...

How is this any different than the previous model?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Are they actually going to bother with the base abarth here? Everything I've seen so far seems to indicate the SS model is what is coming. If they price it a few thousand less than the cooper S (29k CAD with garbage options) I'd be seriously considering it.

I can see it selling a lot by being unique, since you can't throw a rock without hitting a Cooper S anymore.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 13, 2011

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

D C posted:

New chassis, new body, new engines, new interior, new wheels...

What more does it need to have to call it a new model?

BUT IT'S NOT RWD & AIR-COOLED!

I'm looking forward to the new Beetle, it'll be nice to see what people do with it. It's already getting a decent reception among the VW Scene (which I do not claim to be a part of), so I think it'll do pretty well. It sounds like more guys will be owning the new model than the outgoing one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I just don't see why you'd buy one over VWs other offerings. If you want a less practical Golf you already have the Scirroco afterall.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

dissss posted:

I just don't see why you'd buy one over VWs other offerings. If you want a less practical Golf you already have the Scirroco afterall.

We don't have the Scirocco in the U.S., but that's fine with me since I'm not a fan of it. And yes, the Beetle is, for all intents and purposes, a less-practical Golf, but practicality is not the priority of someone who is considering a Beetle.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

DropShadow posted:

BUT IT'S NOT RWD & AIR-COOLED!

I'm looking forward to the new Beetle, it'll be nice to see what people do with it. It's already getting a decent reception among the VW Scene (which I do not claim to be a part of), so I think it'll do pretty well. It sounds like more guys will be owning the new model than the outgoing one.

Ugh, countdown to first hellaflush new beetle

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

But the Scirroco looks so good, I wish we got it over here :(

They might have a base abarth here, kind of like Cooper has the S model and the JCW one.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The HP gain just comes from the addition of the Multiair cams. More likely that by the time the US Abarth plops the ROW Abarth models will already be upgraded to 175hp.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I feel like the C30 or the upcoming Veloster is the only real competition in the US market to the Scirocco.

Looking again, the Veloster doesn't look as offensive as I originally thought.

http://www.hyundai-blog.com/index.php/2011/04/07/hyundai-1-6l-t-gdi-turbo-engine-packs-208-horsepower/

They just announced a 1.6L 208 hp turbo version of the Veloster is coming later. 208 hp in a car that weighs between 2584 and 2657 pounds in NA trim sounds pretty drat good, actually, with power to weight comparable if not superior to the Scirocco. 12.5 lb/hp. They even have a six-speed Dual-Clutch Transmission available in the Hyundai, too, in addition to a six-speed manual.

I'll admit it. I'm impressed.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 15, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
C&D says there is a small Buick hatch in the pipe, since the sedan version is already confirmed.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/11q2/buick_getting_a_version_of_the_opel_astra_gtc_may_get_astra-based_convertible_-car_news

Which nameplate will they ressurect? I hope it's Skyhawk, but Skylark or Century will also be acceptable.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That Hyundai looks a lot like a more awkward Megane III. Nice to see some more interesting designs outside of Europe though.

DropShadow posted:

We don't have the Scirocco in the U.S., but that's fine with me since I'm not a fan of it. And yes, the Beetle is, for all intents and purposes, a less-practical Golf, but practicality is not the priority of someone who is considering a Beetle.

Ahh I didn't realise that. So the Beetle is basically a Scirocco alternative for the US market?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

dissss posted:

Ahh I didn't realise that. So the Beetle is basically a Scirocco alternative for the US market?

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Americans just don't buy hatchbacks in the numbers that Europeans do, so car manufacturers are less likely to bring over multiple models when each one has to be crash tested and certified for sale here. In the case of the Scirocco, VW decided that it wasn't worth the money since the Golf and GTI are already outsold by their sedan counterparts here. I don't think the Beetle appeals to the same demographic that buys a Golf or GTI, so they don't compete with each other for sales.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

Oh it's an "alternative", all right. :rimshot:

EDIT:

There's a mile long traffic jam in Texas because In-and-out just opened a location.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/15/texas-motorists-a-little-overexcited-about-first-in-n-out-burger/

I wish they would come here, InO is delicious. :smith:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 16, 2011

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.

Throatwarbler posted:

EDIT:

There's a mile long traffic jam in Texas because In-and-out just opened a location.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/15/texas-motorists-a-little-overexcited-about-first-in-n-out-burger/

It's just a hamburger. Can't you people wait a few days? or just go once the hype has died down?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy crap! Reminds me of the first McDonalds opening in Moscow back in 1990.

At least in that case you could understand why people would want to see something so alien to them. I've heard that In-n-out is good, but wtf is wrong with people.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
When they opened the first Krispy Kreme in the Seattle area I worked with someone who waited over 24 hours to get some. People are dumb.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
/\/\ And they promptly went out of business haha

Throatwarbler posted:

EDIT:

loving kidding me? They finally franchised outside of California? And it's Texas? Fuucck. Texas is too lovely for such delicious burgers.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I saw my first new Focus today. Front looks great, interior looks great, but I saw it first from the rear and thought it was a new Hyundai. :(

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
Dd you notice how big the fucker is?

In and Out isnt that great you freaks. Its good, but Skyway is much better (Akron, OH)

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Autoblog posted a few shots of what they call the FR-S, but the comments point out that those are subaru wheels on it.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/scion-fr-s-spy-shots/

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
It definitely looks like Toyota's body though, if you compare it to the concept that was shown recently. The wheels just look like any multispoke alloy to me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I really like the proportions. Camoing the C-pillar window makes a little more hunched and lends the illusion of being shorter, though.

Makes me think it could almost be midengined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Crustashio posted:

This guy is the worst pedophile ever. Parks next to an empty playground in the most conspicuous car ever. Where's your windowless van?

I'd still ask him for a ride though :)