Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Sab and sickbeard running on 8tb nas server and streaming to boxee boxes around the house. Some over wifi, others I believe megabit Ethernet. Never any issues, works beautifully!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

inpheaux posted:

I'm using xbmclive installed to the hard drive.

Having made several efforts at getting something useful set up, I can say for sure that this is the best way to go.

If you want to make it even better, make sure you're using an SSD. My next steps are going fanless on as many components as I can inside this old shuttle barebones type system, or covering the side vents with noise dampening foam and trying to route as much air as possible out the back where the noise won't be an issue.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Telex posted:

If you want to make it even better, make sure you're using an SSD. My next steps are going fanless on as many components as I can inside this old shuttle barebones type system, or covering the side vents with noise dampening foam and trying to route as much air as possible out the back where the noise won't be an issue.
My little zotac box makes barely any noise, and pretty much never has to hit the hard drive for anything, so I doubt you really need to go that far.

The hardest part of the whole process for me was getting the usb remote stuff working, especially wake-on-usb, and getting it all mapped on my harmony remote.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Adding a SSD to my HTPC drastically decreased the times it would take for images to appear while scrolling. I have fairly large libraries, though.

goldchains
Dec 16, 2004
Sickbeard question. I dump all my files into a single folder. How do I keep Sickbeard from creating new folders for every show?

How it works now, manually find something to download, add to sabnzbd watched folder, folder for that item created under D drive.

But with sickbeard it wants to create subfolders for everything.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

goldchains posted:

Sickbeard question. I dump all my files into a single folder. How do I keep Sickbeard from creating new folders for every show?

How it works now, manually find something to download, add to sabnzbd watched folder, folder for that item created under D drive.

But with sickbeard it wants to create subfolders for everything.

I too dump all my shows to one folder. Create a folder somewhere out of the way and make a folder for each show in that. It keeps Sickbeard happy and doesn't take up any space. SABnzbd handles the processing and puts it in the TV category folder after that. I don't have Sickbeard handle anything after passing the NZB to SABnzbd, I don't archive anything, I just watch and delete.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Can you change the default base directory for sabnzbd instead of changing all the directory settings individually?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sizzlechest posted:

Can you change the default base directory for sabnzbd instead of changing all the directory settings individually?

The base directory is where the ini is located.

duz fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 14, 2011

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

duz posted:

The base directory is there the ini is located.

Are you saying the base location is in the ini file or are you telling me where the base directory is?

The only option in the ini file that I didn't find in the config screen was for the cache directory.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I've never used SABnzbd before. In years past I used Grabit with Newzbin for everything, but until I get copper hooked up at my new house (any week now), I'm looking into my options.

I have a Windows Home Server that's always on, and ideally I'd like to set this up to automatically download specific things to specific folders, as I have my media very well organised and don't want to do any more filing.

Is this doable? I understand SABnzbd can be run as a windows service, and forgive me for not RTFM-ing, but hopefully someone can just let me know and I'll go off and do some more reading.

On a wider note, does anyone anticipate the downfall of Usenet anytime soon? I know it's been around forever, and that does give me hope, but in the current climate of data caps, corporate fucknuggetry and the destruction of all that is good and pure in the universe, I can't shake this feeling that we're months away from a dystopian nightmare.

Maybe I just need a drink.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Ugh, Sickbeard keeps grabbing the proper for a file and corrupting it (the original file is ~360mb, after it pulls the proper it's 11mb). Do I have to have the post-processing for sabnzbd set to Download for Sickbeard to handle it properly? It's on +unpack at the moment.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

urbancontra posted:

I think the problem here is more that broadband in general in the US is poo poo, and that's where the attitude comes from.

Ahahahaha you're calling US broadband poo poo in comparison to AU broadband. Cute.

Back on topic, what is the limitation that is stopping long-directory-name files from being post-processed completely? I find that they sometimes unzip but then fail to relocate to the completed directory and be renamed cause their filenames are too long. Is there any way to overcome this issue or is it an issue with unrar.exe or something?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Nam Taf posted:

Back on topic, what is the limitation that is stopping long-directory-name files from being post-processed completely? I find that they sometimes unzip but then fail to relocate to the completed directory and be renamed cause their filenames are too long. Is there any way to overcome this issue or is it an issue with unrar.exe or something?
That's an operating system or file system issue. I know that NTFS simply won't let a directory name + filename be more than 256 characters long. There's nothing you can do about that other than not unrar long-named stuff into a long-named subdirectory.

So don't unrar to C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\My Downloads\complete\ because that's like 50 characters used up already. Use C:\Usenet\complete\

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

modeski posted:

I've never used SABnzbd before. In years past I used Grabit with Newzbin for everything, but until I get copper hooked up at my new house (any week now), I'm looking into my options.

I have a Windows Home Server that's always on, and ideally I'd like to set this up to automatically download specific things to specific folders, as I have my media very well organised and don't want to do any more filing.

Is this doable? I understand SABnzbd can be run as a windows service, and forgive me for not RTFM-ing, but hopefully someone can just let me know and I'll go off and do some more reading.

I do exactly this, although I've yet to setup SAB as a service. SAB runs at startup, and I've configured my WHS box to just autologin so it can do it's updates and restart but everything still comes up after. I use Sickbeard to automate the TV show side. CouchPotato can be used for movies, although I rarely use it. SAB handles renaming for those.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Murodese posted:

Ugh, Sickbeard keeps grabbing the proper for a file and corrupting it (the original file is ~360mb, after it pulls the proper it's 11mb). Do I have to have the post-processing for sabnzbd set to Download for Sickbeard to handle it properly? It's on +unpack at the moment.

This sounds like the proper is corrupted on usenet. Are you sure it's a good file?

Try just downloading it manually.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

urbancontra posted:

I think the problem here is more that broadband in general in the US is poo poo, and that's where the attitude comes from.

That and the phone companies in the US are incompetent dick holes who will screw up even the most basic request.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Apologises for the NZB.su talk but looked at the SABnzb forums and couldn't find an answer.

I've a nzbs.org account from a long time ago and a nzbs.su account which I haven't made a donation on (or used). My understanding is the difference between the two is minimal. I'd like to sort a friend out with access to either, what's the best way to go about that? nzbs.org seem closed to new users, I don't mind making a $20 donation to nzb.su but not sure that will help.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Boody posted:

I'd like to sort a friend out with access to either, what's the best way to go about that?
It looks like nzb.su has sorta-kinda open registration now. From their index:

quote:

Account changes and differences:

> default registration (free)
You're allowed 20 nzb downloads per day and 120 API hits.
This should be ok for most light SickBeard users and or web users.

> Standard Account ($5 - $10 usd donation lifetime)

You're allowed 50 nzb downloads per day and 500 API hits.
This should be enough for most Intermediate SickBeard users.

> Friend Account (greater than $10 usd donation lifetime)

You're allowed 250 nzb downloads per day and 4000 API hits.
This should be enough for most advanced SickBeard users, coupled with other uses (couchpotato, web, etc).

This will allow us to keep the site open.
We recently hit about 20,000+ users on this site, and of those,
maybe 20 have donated or upgraded their account. Unfortunately, my bandwidth
isn't free and it's starting to cost in hardware upgrades as well.

I'm sure this will offend some people, but hey--you can always run your own! :)

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
Ever since updating I've been having issues with Sabnzbd. When I click on the shortcut, nothing happens. I checked the Task Manager and the process is occurring, but I can't get to the actual Sabnzbd screen on my browser. I tried reinstalling but no luck. =/

edit: Something must have been messed with my .ini because getting rid of that fixed it

TheOtherContraGuy fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 14, 2011

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

Nam Taf posted:

It's really weirdly amusing that this attitude is throughout the US (and that most people haven't heard of it) cause in Australia this is offered by almost every ISP. It's called a Naked DSL plan here, in that you don't have a phone line bundled with it. ISPs tend to offer it at $10 more per month than the bundled offering, but obviously you then don't pay the $30/month for phone line rental to bundle. Others let you bundle it with VOIP for less than a dedicated phone line.

I'm on it, for example - it's great.

Ii don't live in the US and ii work for an iisp in Australia.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

inpheaux posted:

It looks like nzb.su has sorta-kinda open registration now. From their index:

Was looking at that but the big star/ link seems that points to "become a member" http://nzb.su/register is down at the minute. So wasn't sure if things are tied down to invites only and invites only for people who have donated or something else.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

This sounds like the proper is corrupted on usenet. Are you sure it's a good file?

Try just downloading it manually.

This may be a rube-ish question, but what does the term 'proper' mean in context of files on usenet? I didn't realize it had any significance, although I've seen it a lot over the years.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

TraderStav posted:

This may be a rube-ish question, but what does the term 'proper' mean in context of files on usenet? I didn't realize it had any significance, although I've seen it a lot over the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_%28warez%29#Consequences

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Thanks!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

td4guy posted:

That's an operating system or file system issue. I know that NTFS simply won't let a directory name + filename be more than 256 characters long. There's nothing you can do about that other than not unrar long-named stuff into a long-named subdirectory.

So don't unrar to C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\My Downloads\complete\ because that's like 50 characters used up already. Use C:\Usenet\complete\

Oh I feel really stupid. I've hit that error before in unrelated tasks too :downs:

marketingman posted:

Ii don't live in the US and ii work for an iisp in Australia.

:golfclap: Well played. If you think about it I'm sure you'd knowed what isp I'm with. Naked seems to work fine for me although yeh diagnosing it can be a bit of a bitch without a dial tone.

Nichers
Nov 19, 2010
I rarely used nzbmatrix because of the required donation (to make it worthwhile), when nzb.su was free and seemed to work so well. Now that nzb.su is requiring a donation to grab more than 20 things per day (which I would only actually need to do once or twice per month), do people have a preferred site that costs money? Or is there a new, preferred free site for people stuck without a nzbs.org account?

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Nichers posted:

I rarely used nzbmatrix because of the required donation (to make it worthwhile), when nzb.su was free and seemed to work so well. Now that nzb.su is requiring a donation to grab more than 20 things per day (which I would only actually need to do once or twice per month), do people have a preferred site that costs money? Or is there a new, preferred free site for people stuck without a nzbs.org account?
NZBMatrix is totally worth the donation.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

lilbean posted:

NZBMatrix is totally worth the donation.
That's debatable. NZBMatrix is still wholly dependent on users uploading nzbs from other indexers, which is pretty lame. They also still enjoy posting giant nzbs consisting of hundreds of gigs worth of files, which can cause weirdness in SABnzbd for some users.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

inpheaux posted:

That's debatable. NZBMatrix is still wholly dependent on users uploading nzbs from other indexers, which is pretty lame. They also still enjoy posting giant nzbs consisting of hundreds of gigs worth of files, which can cause weirdness in SABnzbd for some users.
Weird, haven't had any issue with that. My Sickbeard install shows about half of the NZB snatches coming from NZBMatrix and the other half from nzb.su and I haven't had any real problems with either in the last few months.

Anyways I find it was was worth the :10bux:.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

It depends on what I'm trying to download but sometimes NZBMatrix will have it before nzbs.org or vice versa.

What I found worth the 10 bucks(besides having an alternative), was that users tend to post 100x more comments on NZBMatrix. It helps to know quality, or if it's corrupted.

goldchains
Dec 16, 2004

PirateDentist posted:

I too dump all my shows to one folder. Create a folder somewhere out of the way and make a folder for each show in that. It keeps Sickbeard happy and doesn't take up any space. SABnzbd handles the processing and puts it in the TV category folder after that. I don't have Sickbeard handle anything after passing the NZB to SABnzbd, I don't archive anything, I just watch and delete.

Thanks for this, I'll give that a shot.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Roving Reporter posted:

It depends on what I'm trying to download but sometimes NZBMatrix will have it before nzbs.org or vice versa.

What I found worth the 10 bucks(besides having an alternative), was that users tend to post 100x more comments on NZBMatrix. It helps to know quality, or if it's corrupted.

I was going to say this same thing. There are tons more comments on NZBMatrix than on NZBS.org which is usually helpful once you wade through all the utter poo poo and bickering and name calling.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I was going to say this same thing. There are tons more comments on NZBMatrix than on NZBS.org which is usually helpful once you wade through all the utter poo poo and bickering and name calling.
That's likely because users on NZBMatrix are by definition more engaged with the site. Since the site lives and dies by user interaction, users are in there doing poo poo like posting nzbs and commenting on nzbs and such.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm not a fan of the administration of nzbmatrix but it has its uses, I find my usenet downloads pretty evenly split between that and nzbs.org.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
Thanks to you cool people I set up my mac mini with XBMC, then connected it to a TB harddrive. I just need to set up SAB so that it downloads everything correctly, and then let me pick stuff from other computers as well.

Another thing: I don't have the iphone, so is getting an apple remote worth it? Is it easy to configure / work well?

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
So, running OS X 10.6.7 with SABnzbd+. I am trying to make a script and have not had any luck doing it. I know it is a very simple task, but for some reason by bash-fu isn't strong with this script.

Say I download Ubuntu 11.04, it finishes and it unpacks to a directory called "Ubuntu 11 04." Inside of this folder, is the actual burnable image file as well as the associated NFO file. I want to move that burnable image file and that NFO to the Desktop and then delete the folder "Ubuntu 11 04." How do I go about doing this?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Edit: I have tried this and several slight variations to this. The weird thing is, "$1" shows the path, $DIR_DEST echoes /Users/Crush/Desktop/, and when running the same thing in Terminal.app as separate commands, it works fine. The strange thing is the script always wants to complain saying something along the lines of "/Users/Crush/Download/Linux ISO/* /Users/Crush/Desktop/*" does not exist, when they in fact do.

code:
#!/bin/bash

DIR_DEST=${HOME}/Desktop/

mv "$1/*" $DIR_DEST

Crush fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 16, 2011

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Crush posted:

So, running OS X 10.6.7 with SABnzbd+. I am trying to make a script and have not had any luck doing it. I know it is a very simple task, but for some reason by bash-fu isn't strong with this script.

Say I download Ubuntu 11.04, it finishes and it unpacks to a directory called "Ubuntu 11 04." Inside of this folder, is the actual burnable image file as well as the associated NFO file. I want to move that burnable image file and that NFO to the Desktop and then delete the folder "Ubuntu 11 04." How do I go about doing this?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Edit: I have tried this and several slight variations to this. The weird thing is, "$1" shows the path, $DIR_DEST echoes /Users/Crush/Desktop/, and when running the same thing in Terminal.app as separate commands, it works fine. The strange thing is the script always wants to complain saying something along the lines of "/Users/Crush/Download/Linux ISO/* /Users/Crush/Desktop/*" does not exist, when they in fact do.

code:
#!/bin/bash

DIR_DEST=${HOME}/Desktop/

mv "$1/*" $DIR_DEST

I think that when you're putting the first parameter in quotes, it's not going to expand that *, so it's literally looking for a file named * in the Linux ISO directory. Try putting the quotes around just $1.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

FISHMANPET posted:

I think that when you're putting the first parameter in quotes, it's not going to expand that *, so it's literally looking for a file named * in the Linux ISO directory. Try putting the quotes around just $1.

This was it. I love you. Thanks!

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

inpheaux posted:

The hardest part of the whole process for me was getting the usb remote stuff working, especially wake-on-usb, and getting it all mapped on my harmony remote.

I know this is off topic but I've been having trouble dealing with this exact same issue with waking up my revo using a harmony remote. Did you use a guide or have any tips for setting this up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

lowcrabdiet posted:

I know this is off topic but I've been having trouble dealing with this exact same issue with waking up my revo using a harmony remote. Did you use a guide or have any tips for setting this up?
I used this guide for getting XBMC installed, at the bottom they've got details for getting suspend and wake on USB working. Then it was just a matter of getting a Harmony-compatible USB remote (I got this one, setup details here), and setting up the Harmony to send a command like "up" to wake it up during the "switch to" command, and the suspend key as part of the "switch away" command.