Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
Well, until the new thread is being made, I have a question. Anyone else have stomach issues after taking dexedrine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Lackadaisical posted:

Well, until the new thread is being made, I have a question. Anyone else have stomach issues after taking dexedrine?

If you eat or drink any dairy products with your meds, try not doing that.

Aculard
Oct 15, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Lackadaisical posted:

Yeah the dexedrine tore my stomach up pretty bad. Good bye normal digestive movements!

Have you tried the adderall Xr? Mine seems to last too long if I take it any time after 8am, but I believe it's part dexedrine, part something else. I got some bad chest pains on the ritalin so it might be worth looking into if you haven't already.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kylra posted:

This thread is getting kind of long. Maybe we should have a new thread OP that actually has lots of information in it dispelling myths, more objectively laying out the side effects of the medication etc instead of just "Hey I have ADHD ask me stuff (if I remember to stick around)" (not that I'm trying to bash Stofoleez, because any thread is probably better than no thread here). If people posting here think it's a good idea I can -try- putting a coherent one for both ADHD people and non together, filled with lots of good information, and maybe some examples of what it's really like as opposed to the typical media narrative that (in my experience) typically focuses mostly on the excessive movement and social problems.

I can't guarantee I'll actually finish it though...because...yanno... :( But I can try!

Yeah, this is probably a good idea.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Lackadaisical posted:

Yes. Oh God yes. Doesn't matter whether or not I take it with food, I get heartburn at 2-3am. Though I have been sleeping with my head and shoulders sort of elevated, and it has helped. It's one of the reasons I want to give a new drug a try.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

So I've lurked just a tiny bit in this thread but I'm going to start following it more closely now.

I don't want to write a novel because I very easily would, but as I've put it, (I've re-written this 10 times now) the issues I have aren't how everyone else in the world is. I didn't know what was wrong with me though. I've had attention and organization issues since at least 12 years old (29 now) but I've been smart enough to fake it. I've cried over reading posts in this thread since it sounds just like me. I could have written some of these posts.

Lately, in the past few years, and especially in the past few months, I've been feeling more impaired by this.

So I finally went to my doctor and talked to her about it and she agreed. I'm starting on Strattera tomorrow, and I have a referral for a therapist.

I'm excited about maybe not BEING this way anymore and nervous and scared and :ohdear: I'm loving STOKED about finally making myself go see a therapist because I've needed one for oh, 9 years.

So hi!

Involuntary Sparkle fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 13, 2011

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

the issues I have aren't how everyone else is.

quote:

I've cried over reading posts in this thread since it sounds just like me. I could have written some of these posts.

Typo?

Also, welcome to the thread!

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Kylra posted:

Typo?

Also, welcome to the thread!

Haha, well, I mean like, I thought the entire rest of the world was like that, then I realized no, they're not, and then I found this thread.

And thanks :3:

Agedashi Tofu
Jul 27, 2004

I paid money to type stuff here.
I got a prescription for Dexedrine yesterday after the Ritalin didn't work out so well, and again my Dr. started me on a 5mg/day regimen with permission to "play with the dose and see what works". It's extended release so I don't know if taking a second dose in the afternoon is a bad idea or not, and I'm also assuming 5mg is pretty low.

So far I've certainly noticed a difference between this and the Ritalin. I was working on something at my computer earlier and completely forgot where I was or that there was anyone else in the office with me. It was just me and the screen - kind of freaky when I noticed but also really nice considering I've generally got a million things going through my mind at any given moment. I had a similar experience while driving, which I might not be as thrilled about if I get my attention stuck on the wrong thing.

No negative side effects at all so far, so I'm really stoked. This feels much more mellow than the Ritalin was making me, but it still feels weak and short lived for the most part - so I'm thinking a higher dose might be better but am curious what the standard dosing is for an adult?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I'm at 5MG of Dex, and in terms of ADHD it works really well. But yeah - wow, the focus! I'll look up, and realize that most of my workday is gone, and I didn't even take a tea break! I haven't tried any doses higher than that. However, I had to time it so that I'd take it at work, otherwise the hyperfocus would kick in on the morning commute, where it isn't really needed.

Too bad that the side effects just suck for me, otherwise I'd like to stay on it.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Ok, I started typing it up, but my "focus train" broke down right now (though I intend to do more later). Here's a link to what I have so far (I'm not done with part 2 yet, still have at least reading stuff and excessive motor activity things):

http://pastebin.com/3i1Nj9sh

If you like something like that and want it as a new OP, we need to think up a new thread title too. I'm thinking something like:

"ADHD-Bikes are only the most visible symptom"

Hopefully the joke makes it not seem too morose or like it would be a depressing read. I put the bit about "most visible system" in there to hopefully catch some people's eyes who only really know of the most visible symptoms and might ignore the thread as "I already know what ADHD is because of news media" and their curiosity might be piqued by the implication there are hidden less visible problems.

Let me know if any of it is hard to read so far.

Also let me know if any facts are wrong so far. I haven't gone through and crosschecked things just yet.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 13, 2011

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
My only question is do we want a new post here or in The Goon Doctor subforum?

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
It should go in the goon doctor forum in my opinion. The vast majority of people in this thread have it and ask specific questions about medications and stuff, and I don't see how most of it is of interest to the general community.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The Goon Doctor is more about the people with the actual condition discussing the treatments and medical technicals about it though isn't it? I was kind of aiming at a thread also for people without the condition to come in and ask about it like this one started out as, which seems more A/T. I'm ok either way though.

I'm not exactly a doctor, just very well read, and I'm not sure if that matters or not for making a megathreadlike OP there.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 13, 2011

taylor
Nov 21, 2004
Lots of people have come into this thread saying they have had similar experiences as others and it's of some interest more generally, although it has (like every megathread) turned into a discussion mostly of a few regulars. Many people earlier on came in asking whether they might have it, and this often comes from reading the posts of others in the thread and normal Ask/Tell stuff about the disorder. Look at Involuntary Sparkle's post for instance

quote:

So I've lurked just a tiny bit in this thread but I'm going to start following it more closely now.

I've had attention and organization issues since at least 12 years old but I've been smart enough to fake it. I've cried over reading posts in this thread since it sounds just like me. I could have written some of these posts.

There is a reason why 90% of threads in TGD have under 8 posts. And there's a reason why there are no megathreads about anything except all psychiatric medications in general and the stickied med school threads. Hiding it in a forum like the goon doctor will make it so posts like this one never happens again (as they did for a good portion of the thread, with people asking about the disorder and symptoms and such), except in the off chance that someone has a weird rash and they just so happen to see the topic when they are going to post about it.

If this thread is not appropriate for Ask/Tell, then it might as well be locked and people can post in The Crackhead Clubhouse Adderall thread instead when they want to talk about specific medications, although most of the posts are about people crushing ritalin and snorting it to get high, and how it compares to cocaine etc, and it's not a very good forum for medical issues.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

taylor posted:

Lots of people have come into this thread saying they have had similar experiences as others and it's of some interest more generally, although it has (like every megathread) turned into a discussion mostly of a few regulars. Many people earlier on came in asking whether they might have it, and this often comes from reading the posts of others in the thread and normal Ask/Tell stuff about the disorder. Look at Involuntary Sparkle's post for instance

There is a reason why 90% of threads in TGD have under 8 posts. And there's a reason why there are no megathreads about anything except all psychiatric medications in general and the stickied med school threads. Hiding it in a forum like the goon doctor will make it so posts like this one never happens again (as they did for a good portion of the thread, with people asking about the disorder and symptoms and such), except in the off chance that someone has a weird rash and they just so happen to see the topic when they are going to post about it.

If this thread is not appropriate for Ask/Tell, then it might as well be locked and people can post in The Crackhead Clubhouse Adderall thread instead when they want to talk about specific medications, although most of the posts are about people crushing ritalin and snorting it to get high, and how it compares to cocaine etc, and it's not a very good forum for medical issues.

I had this concern as well, but I cut it out of my last post with the intent to put it back in before posting and then just...never put it back in before posting.

Several times have people messaged me or something with a message like "Wait, THAT'S what ADHD is? Holy poo poo you mean I'm not just a stupid lazy bum for not being able to do homework and I can be more like my best all the time instead of maybe 1 day a month? :aaa:" after I've talked about it in various threads and anywhere else and TGD has less general visibility.

E: Also, to more strongly state my implication in my last post, informing people in general about the less visible things are probably a good deal, even if they mostly just lurk or read the OP.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 13, 2011

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
So a couple days later and I can tell that waiting an hour after eating to take my Adderall has helped with the inconsistency. But, I was still having issues.

After telling him last Monday at my appointment. my psych decided to bump up my dose to 30mg total per day - in two 15mg doses. One in the morning and one at lunch. He also told me a great trick: take Tums when you eat. He said it was supposed to boost the effectiveness of the drug by making the body not excrete it out as fast when you pee and absorb the drug better.

Well, the next day, I wasn't able to make it to the pharmacist to fill my prescription. I had to make due with the few 20mg pills I had left. I decided to try the Tums trick but using some Pepcid Complete lying around the office. Wow! It definitely made a difference! Even at 20mg, the Adderall felt like it was closer to how effective it used to feel.

Now that I'm on the 30mg, I'm surprised that the feeling isn't dramatically different. I've heard horror stories of people upping their dosages and feeling like they've become zombies. That's not the case with me so far. I can focus a little better and I have noticed I get a bit of that euphoric 'everything's aLLLL RIIIGHT :smug: ' feeling that I had in the honeymoon phase. I think I'll be sticking with 30mg. I can't imagine needing more.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
that "ALLL RIIIIGHT" :smug: feeling will go away again. Just a heads up - its part of the honeymoon phase.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Yeah, I'll be honest and say that if this thread was in TGD then I probably wouldn't have come across it. It really was pretty random I found it and that spurred me to ask.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

cloudstrife2993 posted:

that "ALLL RIIIIGHT" :smug: feeling will go away again. Just a heads up - its part of the honeymoon phase.

SA > A/T > The real ALLL RIGHHHHHT :smug: comes when you realize you're functioning normally

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Added some more, cleaned up some stuff, reworded some things, tried to make it a little less dry, put it Google Docs so hopefully it will be easier to read than pastebin. Let me know what you all think so far if you want to weigh in on it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18K7ZxCkYSGDraM-oRlqxKIIpBYwcaviTDMBmN5tLaIY/edit?hl=en&authkey=CP3vo4sO

I'm probably a bad judge of whether this is all readable or not since this stuff interests me to no end.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Kylra posted:

Added some more, cleaned up some stuff, reworded some things, tried to make it a little less dry, put it Google Docs so hopefully it will be easier to read than pastebin. Let me know what you all think so far if you want to weigh in on it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18K7ZxCkYSGDraM-oRlqxKIIpBYwcaviTDMBmN5tLaIY/edit?hl=en&authkey=CP3vo4sO

I'm probably a bad judge of whether this is all readable or not since this stuff interests me to no end.
is there no section about meds/the difference between meds? Adderall is not ritalin is not dex is not.. I like the way theres a ctrl+f option in the birth control megathread. "Want info on side effects of Adderall? CTRL+F A008"

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I'd prefer that this stay in A/T. Especially since a lot of lifestyle issues get discussed, as well as the pathological.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

2508084 posted:

is there no section about meds/the difference between meds? Adderall is not ritalin is not dex is not.. I like the way theres a ctrl+f option in the birth control megathread. "Want info on side effects of Adderall? CTRL+F A008"

Nope, was going to totally forget to put that in unless I later remembered to put it in at the end with resources (which is where I was going to stick the more technical things). I'll add a note to make sure it's in there now though!

I'll add in the find thing too.

Also, Adderall and Dexedrine are pretty similar. Dexedrine is (roughly) Adderall with a part of it missing. Same with Ritalin vs Focalin. And those 4 are still considered pretty similar/the same mechanically by medicine as far as I am aware. I haven't seen anything besides anecdotes that really differentiates them, but I'm going to try to track something down. The others (except maybe Desoxyn, which is methamphetamine) are pretty different though.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 13, 2011

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
How many of you are on medication but not getting therapy/coaching? I'm really curious about this because therapy has been a such a vital part to helping me really understand how to function best with ADD.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I'm not anymore, but I wouldn't be where I am now without the years of therapy I had in the past (like age 17-22). It gave me the tools I needed to be able to perform self-therapy; that is, I'm now able to step back and look at things from that point of view and figure out what needs changing without having to go talk to someone about it.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 13, 2011

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Chin Strap posted:

How many of you are on medication but not getting therapy/coaching? I'm really curious about this because therapy has been a such a vital part to helping me really understand how to function best with ADD.

I'm on medication with no therapy. I'm not sure it would help me much either because I am extremely terrible at tricking myself because I pretty much immediately reach for thinking about why/how I am tricking myself.

The only things that have seemed to work so far are channeling movement into less disruptive things and then doing those more, trying to do everything I should do but don't want to do immediately in one sitting so I don't have the startup time over and over again, and sometimes I am able to functionally separate something I shouldn't be doing but always want to do right now by a step I don't want to do at any arbitrary right now.

After dozens of failed attempts, I've rather given up on trying to keep up planners, artificial rewards systems I have to regulate myself and probably some other things I can't remember as of this typing. If there's not someone else following me around enforcing it, it's useless.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 13, 2011

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Kylra posted:

The Goon Doctor is more about the people with the actual condition discussing the treatments and medical technicals about it though isn't it? I was kind of aiming at a thread also for people without the condition to come in and ask about it like this one started out as, which seems more A/T. I'm ok either way though.

I'm not exactly a doctor, just very well read, and I'm not sure if that matters or not for making a megathreadlike OP there.

I believe it should go in Goon Doctor alongside the general psychiatric Q&A and psych med Q&A. It seems to me that it's a medical topic.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Paramemetic posted:

I believe it should go in Goon Doctor alongside the general psychiatric Q&A and psych med Q&A. It seems to me that it's a medical topic.

Once again though, this is partly about general awareness of the condition rather than solely people who have been diagnosed with having it.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Paramemetic posted:

That doesn't really exclude it from being in A/T I don't think. The pregnancy megathread is pretty huge and that's significantly about medical issues as well. That even spun off into a "trying to get pregnant" and "birth control" megathreads as well. There's also a cochlear implant thread on the first page, a vasectomy thread on page 3, and the transgender megathread used to be here before it got shipped off to E/N.

It's seem more like a choice between either a thread mainly for those already diagnosed with the condition and following this thread to be more focused on the grittier clinical details of treatment and diagnosis in a medical manner, or if wants to be targeted at anyone to come in and get more information about generally living life with ADHD (which is likely more beneficial to those who have it but have a mistaken perception of the problem, as well as for general social awareness) that happens to have lots of treatment details in it as well.

E/N might even be a more useful place than TGD in my opinion if it's allowed considering the types of people that seem to go to E/N, and this is to some extent sort of an Everything to Me/Nothing to Everyone deal.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Chin Strap posted:

I'm in a bad program so while I'm in treatment its wholly ineffective.

opie
Nov 28, 2000

Chin Strap posted:

Once again though, this is partly about general awareness of the condition rather than solely people who have been diagnosed with having it.
If I thought I had a medical or mental problem\question I probably would go into the goon doctor forum if there was some reason I couldn't ask a real doctor. The problem with ADD is that most people have at least one symptom of it at any given time. A lot of people seem to like to self-diagnose and convince themselves they have a condition before they go to the doctor, even though it could be a number of other problems.

At what point does a medical\mental condition warrant a thread in ask\tell versus the goon doctor? Should there be a thread on depression, bipolar, IBS, or allergies? In my opinion those aren't rare or interesting enough to people who don't deal with them. The pregnancy and knocked up threads would also be better in the goon doctor.

I dunno I understand that people want as many people to read their posts as possible, but there's a reason why they started making subforums, even if some of them are less popular than others.

Or you could also ask a moderator.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
Theres threads for NPD and BPD in A/T. Bi polar or depression would probably get run into the ground. Ask a mod then it put there. I found this thread because it was in AT, I don't go into TGD but once in a while

seconding asking a mod. make like simple, they'll tell you where itll go probably

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

opie posted:

If I thought I had a medical or mental problem\question I probably would go into the goon doctor forum if there was some reason I couldn't ask a real doctor. The problem with ADD is that most people have at least one symptom of it at any given time. A lot of people seem to like to self-diagnose and convince themselves they have a condition before they go to the doctor, even though it could be a number of other problems.

A lot of ADHD or ADHD-like people don't seem to regard themselves as having a medical condition if no one tells them or they don't read information like I am typing into the OP I am making and thus will probably never go into places like TGD to ask about something they think is entirely normal. They think they're just lazy (because that's what people tell them) and will go to E/N instead where people tell them they might have ADHD and maybe go see a doctor, if anything.

There have been a number of E/N threads where the second post is "do you have ADHD or been checked out for it?" and the OP is confused because they aren't "hyper" or causing huge social disturbances all the time.

There was even some kind of "I have too many hobbies..." thread in E/N that kind of turned significantly into being about ADHD near it's conception.

I already asked an A/T moderator about a tangential question about making the thread here again (specifically about the :catdrugs:) and wasn't told not to make it here or to make it in TGD.

E: How about a short story that kind of explains my position on this controversial subject!

The Tale of How I Came to Realize I Might Have ADHD

TLDR version afterward.

All through grade school, I thought ADHD was only something those hyper and continually socially disruptive kids had and nobody smart could ever have it. Largely, my opinion that is what it was was influenced by news media telling me that it was something about hyperactive kids running everywhere and an inability to be nice or read. None of those really applied to me in the manner of what I considered those words to mean. My parents had been approached about it, but dismissed the potential diagnosis because I was too smart. This caused me to have a rather narrow, incorrect and shallow view of what it really was.

Fast forward to my first college classes. In one english class, I needed to write a persuasive paper about a topic of my choosing. I just happened to choose ADHD. I had already read the DSM entry about it prior and had read about what news media said, so I wrote a paper about how ADHD is overdiagnosed because the criteria are too vague and like other illnesses. I don't really need to go into the specifics, and I know better now (I'm sorry :( ), but that's what I wrote about. At any rate, I do not get the paper done on time because I was doing it at the last minute and underestimated how long it would take. I begged the teacher to allow me to turn it in late. She gave me a two day extension, and then I still turned it in a day later than that for 30 points off, still convinced that what I had put down in the paper was good. In another possibly a little ironic twist, she had trouble reading my DSM citations because it was too textbook-like so I ended up getting a failing grade on it.

It wasn't until a little after all that when I was just checking up on some bit of something on one of my resources on it because I randomly happened to think about it and wanted to look that I happened to see to some of the deeper and more current theory and such that wasn't largely for news media or the strict DSM-IV diagnostic criteria that I realized my mistake. It was pretty much luck that I happened upon something that helped me understand what was going on in my head wasn't normal, and I even wrote a (non-medical grade, granted) paper on it before I realized! There's a pretty amazing amount of shallow or misinformation out there.

TLDR: If I hadn't (very likely mistakenly) written a paper about how overdiagnosed ADHD is in children I may never have found out what ADHD truly was to know that something could be wrong and see about a diagnosis. It was pretty much only by luck.

When I actually met with the therapist for a diagnosis he was all "Yeah, I was pretty sure within a few minutes it was pretty obvious" afterward. I pretty much went "Welp. :downs: At least I found it out and know better now" and then things went from there and things are better now.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 13, 2011

opie
Nov 28, 2000
I didn't know much about ADD when I was diagnosed at around age 19, so I had no opinion about it either way. I was having trouble and looked for help, rather than waiting to stumble across a random explanation. First I went to the school nurse, but she just kind of shrugged and said I have anxiety, and gave me meds that didn't help. So I went to a shrink, who said I have ADD and gave me meds that kind of helped.

I don't really care where this thread goes, I was just giving my opinion that it's more of a medical issue. Obviously I don't post in this thread nearly as much as everyone else. Today is an off day because I have to do a lot of research about manifest files in C++ projects. Ironically, if I hadn't been participating in this thread about ADD my ADD might not have gotten in the way of my progress.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
UGH.

Went to see a new GP today. 1) My state based insurance will not cover adderall because its an amphetamine. 2) The doctor wouldnt write for it anyways because its an amphetamine and "I don't know why they'd prescribe you an amphetamine." Because nothing else worked. He gave me 2 months worth of sample packs of Strattera because my insurance WILL cover that. It starts me out on the lowest dose one week, then ups it to the next dose until I hit 80mg/day which then he'll write a script for it to take to my pharmacy.

So now I have to decide if I want to pay out of pocket for my adderall, or go off what has been the only thing in my life to ever work and start strattera.

Oh and he gave me that stupid questionaire asking how ADD I think I am. Are you easily distracted? Do you make careless mistakes? Do you forget appointments? The last one is ironic because they were threatening to stop seeing me (before I started adderall) because i missed so many drat appointments

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 14, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Gotta love docs like that. "WHY would they EVER prescribe you AN AMPHETAMINE?!?"

Possibly because it is far and away the most effective treatment for ADHD, supported by like 70 years of clinical use? No, all of that data must be faulty, let's try this brand new drug that is pretty much untested and doesn't work for poo poo in like ~80% of cases.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

2508084 posted:

2) The doctor wouldnt write for it anyways because its an amphetamine and "I don't know why they'd prescribe you an amphetamine."

Oh and he gave me that stupid questionaire asking how ADD I think I am. Are you easily distracted? Do you make careless mistakes? Do you forget appointments? The last one is ironic because they were threatening to stop seeing me (before I started adderall) because i missed so many drat appointments

Best health care system in the world... (assuming you're in the US)

Even without insurance, isn't a 30 day supply of generic amphetamine something close to $25? Worst case at least it's not insulin...

Also, I know the anecdotal stuff about zombies and whatnot, but did you ask about the methylphenidates? I take Focalin/dexmethylphenidate and it's works good and the side effects are pretty much limited to a drier mouth and significant drop in appetite. Ritalin is methylphenidate.

couldstrife2993 posted:

Possibly because it is far and away the most effective treatment for ADHD, supported by like 70 years of clinical use? No, all of that data must be faulty, let's try this brand new drug that is pretty much untested and doesn't work for poo poo in like ~80% of cases.

Ritalin/methylphenidate has been used far longer than the amphetamines (of which Adderall was the first) so you're technically incorrect. I found a few sources that say Adderall (amphetamine) was only FDA approved in 2001 vs Ritalin in 1955.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 14, 2011

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
That first quote in your post isn't me. My adderall is about $30 for the generic. I've also been out for a week and don't have $30 till Wednesday. I'll probably stick to cash pay for it until it gets prohibitively expensive. And it always does. I always feel like such a criminal. They're nice until they look in my file :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

2508084 posted:

That first quote in your post isn't me. My adderall is about $30 for the generic. I've also been out for a week and don't have $30 till Wednesday. I'll probably stick to cash pay for it until it gets prohibitively expensive. And it always does. I always feel like such a criminal. They're nice until they look in my file :smith:

I really have no idea how I got cloudstrife's line into your quote there, but it's fixed now.

Maybe check and see if either of the methylphenidate medications are supported by your insurance though, since Adderall/amphetamine is relatively new compared to Ritalin/methylphenidate and the doctors/insurance might still be stuck 11+ years ago, and both of those are functionally far more similar than Strattera from what I know.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 14, 2011