Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
So a guy I went to high school with won Independent's design contest for a T-shirt... here's the winning submission:

Pretty awesome. It sort of harkens back to old school skate logos. I'm definitely getting that T-shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Definitely a badass graphic, for a badass truck company. I'm moving my Indy 215s back onto the Crewzer so I can free up my fancy trucks for the Ethos when I get it.
I just don't know which set of wheels I want where...

I tried out the Earthwing Slide-A's today on the Crewzer, and they're SO CONTROLLED. I expected crazy icy slipperiness but they actually do grip and feel great while sliding. I only tried them on the tiny slope next to my house, so I really need to get them to a hill with better pave and a little more speed and throw some huge slides

naig
Jan 25, 2006

"crawl, walk, and then run"
This sounds traitorish, but I switched from Indy to Thunder in 2008 (after many many years on Indys), haven't looked back since then. Gotta love the trucks that actually turn when you tilt the board :)

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Indys are much loved amongst skaters from pretty much every discipline for their performance. I don't know any other truck that is more widely used throughout all of skating. Indys are king.

naig
Jan 25, 2006

"crawl, walk, and then run"

Horizontal Tree posted:

Indys are much loved amongst skaters from pretty much every discipline for their performance. I don't know any other truck that is more widely used throughout all of skating. Indys are king.

I have absolutely nothing against Indys. But Thunders just reacted better, can't deny it. I heard Independent has done something to this in their new models, maybe I'll switch back once these wear out...

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Indy stock bushings are trash, replace them with bones medium and they're great long lasting trucks.

...I ride Theeve nowadays, felt like a traitor at first.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Woooo. Flipped the hangers on my paris', took out the riser pads and I can nail cute little ollies almost consistently! Oh god I'm so close to dialing in one of my life's ultimate goals.

Learning how to street is so much fun but I can't wait to pick up my first set of racing leathers so I can start going faster than 60kph. Nothing silences my brain and sets me freer than going fast.

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

I'm looking to pick up a bongo board. Any recs? I could probably build one from like a coffee can and a spare deck but...

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hell yeah Thunder truck crew represent. I got my bushings a while ago; I can't remember what brand they are and I should probably replace them but they're soft as heck and a bright loving fluorescent pink which means my deck matches my favorite skate shoes.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Can't remember if i posted this, but if you don't read http://skateandannoy.com/ you should.
Ebay watch is especially ace. You'll learn more about one-off blue stained Zorlac decks from 1986 than you ever thought you wanted to.
http://features.skateandannoy.com/ebaywatch/ebay-watch-march-2011/

I love Indys BTW, can't beat 139s with wide wheels. When I was on smaller decks I did prefer Ventures though, they're well squirrelly.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
If anyone wants a drat high quality truck that will last forever, and turn better than an Indy, look at Surf Rodz INDeeSZ. They're a bit over twice what cast trucks cost, but trust me, the advantages are worth it. They can handle street or vert at one sesh, hardcore slalom the next, and gnarly rear end downhill after that. Might seem like overkill to a lot of street/park skaters, but this is progression. The lines between "longboarding" and "shortboarding" hardly exist anymore, and its really great to see what were traditionally longboard companies start to put out more versatile stuff. poo poo is progressing, and these are game changers.
http://eastcoastcoreskates.com/Surf-Rodz-139mm-INDeeSZ-8mm-Fixed-Axle-sz8mm139.htm

@Whalley, would those bushings happen to be pink 77a Reflex? Sound a bit soft for most people, especially for anything but slalom imo. I like a pink Reflex barrel and 74a white Khiro hourglass combo for a twitchy front slalom truck

@Zigmidge how do you like your Paris flipped? I used to run them flipped when I was riding a stiff topmount and had to push long distances, otherwise I'd ride them normally. Ime Paris feel like poo poo flipped, and its really not worth flipping trucks usually. Paris don't respond to it as well as others because of the deep top bushing seat though.

Off to go work on switch toeside tailblunts. Wish me luck!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Horizontal Tree posted:

@Zigmidge how do you like your Paris flipped? I used to run them flipped when I was riding a stiff topmount and had to push long distances, otherwise I'd ride them normally. Ime Paris feel like poo poo flipped, and its really not worth flipping trucks usually. Paris don't respond to it as well as others because of the deep top bushing seat though.

I would agree with everything you said if these were on a real longboard. On the Ceviche they're perfect :) Brings the deck just that much lower to the ground while avoiding the need for skateboard trucks. I hate streetdeck trucks/wheels.

On the topic of INDeeSZ, they're badass trucks but kind of overkill. The lines are blurring, yes, but it still comes down to using the right tool for the right job. Cheap Indys for street, cheap Paris/Randals for freeriding and Aeras/Kahas/whatever if you really need precision trucks. As a board builder the one thing I'm realizing faster than the rest of the industry is those all-around boards that try to fit street/freeride AND DH are all bullshit. I feel the same way regarding hardware.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Obscuritatem posted:

Can't remember if i posted this, but if you don't read http://skateandannoy.com/ you should.
Ebay watch is especially ace. You'll learn more about one-off blue stained Zorlac decks from 1986 than you ever thought you wanted to.
http://features.skateandannoy.com/ebaywatch/ebay-watch-march-2011/
I never heard about this site but now I'm reading it daily.

Horizontal Tree posted:

@Whalley, would those bushings happen to be pink 77a Reflex? Sound a bit soft for most people, especially for anything but slalom imo. I like a pink Reflex barrel and 74a white Khiro hourglass combo for a twitchy front slalom truck
Hell yeah they are. My trucks are loose as poo poo too. My wheels are only 78a. I ride ~*street*~ on a normal old street skateboard because I loving love how badass it feels to land poo poo on a board that is deliberately trying to make you fall off; it's been really, really good for my balance. Wheelbite is kind of a bitch but that's what I get for combining my retarded truck and wheel preferences with low trucks and no risers. I bring it on myself.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 15, 2011

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

I would agree with everything you said if these were on a real longboard. On the Ceviche they're perfect :) Brings the deck just that much lower to the ground while avoiding the need for skateboard trucks. I hate streetdeck trucks/wheels.

On the topic of INDeeSZ, they're badass trucks but kind of overkill. The lines are blurring, yes, but it still comes down to using the right tool for the right job. Cheap Indys for street, cheap Paris/Randals for freeriding and Aeras/Kahas/whatever if you really need precision trucks. As a board builder the one thing I'm realizing faster than the rest of the industry is those all-around boards that try to fit street/freeride AND DH are all bullshit. I feel the same way regarding hardware.

I could see flipping Paris would work well on the Ceviche. Vastly different ride on such a small flexy board.

All-around boards are definitely not bullshit... Soon I'll have 2 decks that I could pop ollies and kickflips (if I could kickflip well) on, and bomb hills with the same setup. Its progression, some people want to be able to do whatever they want on their decks and some people can really put their boards to great use with kicktails and such. If you can skate hills comfortably on a small board with a kicktail (or double kicks) then why not? I've taken my double kick close to 30mph and it was solid and fun as hell.
Precision trucks are a huge step up from cast, and if you have the cash and want them, they're a really drat fun investment. Its nice to buy a truck and know you won't have to worry about it bending, or numerous other issues. Straight, true axles with properly spaced bearings make a huge difference in roll speed, slides, and overall feel.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Yeah! my Daggers deck turned up, well pleased with it.

Have some Chopper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hf91JNrkz8

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

There's something really loving weird about watching someone do street tricks and just generally riding street on a big-rear end longboard but drat, does this look like a big ball of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwd2mHwGhGo

Obscuritatem posted:

Have some Chopper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hf91JNrkz8
Holy poo poo this is cool

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Whalley posted:

There's something really loving weird about watching someone do street tricks and just generally riding street on a big-rear end longboard but drat, does this look like a big ball of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwd2mHwGhGo

Holy poo poo this is cool

Yeah I just saw that Jeremy Peckham part the other day. I watched it with no introduction so I had no idea he was on a longboard at first. Before I knew what was going on I was thinking that that was a really small dude (I thought he was riding a regular street board). I can dig it.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.
Well Toronto is a nice wet mess right now so I figured now is probably the best time to go learn how to slide on my longboard!

A few scrapes here and there but I'm starting to get it! My back foot keeps sliding off and sending me forward, I figure I'm just not leaning back far enough does that make sense to anyone else?

Also loosened up my trucks and holy crap I can pump forever now!

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
Speaking of Toronto, we're heading there and beyond to Windsor with stops in Ganonoque, Belleville, Orillia (barn), and Creemore Springs brewery. There'll be a montage at the end of the trip and we're pressing our own zine (a manly version of scrapbooking). I'll try and update every once and a while with pictures but since we're camping in the cars and some tents there may not be internet access.

It's going to be a blast and anyone who is in any of those places is welcome to join us. Guaranteed no bad vibes and lots of booze. Oh and we also picked up a megaphone this time around.

Edit: We leave Wednesday.

Sirkus fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 17, 2011

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Mugmoor posted:

Well Toronto is a nice wet mess right now so I figured now is probably the best time to go learn how to slide on my longboard!

A few scrapes here and there but I'm starting to get it! My back foot keeps sliding off and sending me forward, I figure I'm just not leaning back far enough does that make sense to anyone else?

In the immortal words of Lil Jon, let me see you get low, drop that rear end to the flo' (assuming you're trying to coleman slide). Get some ratty old pants or shorts and get your rear end low. Keep getting low until your rear end is just about scraping on the ground, this will center your weight behind the board. Your back knee will be close to, if not touching, your front foot. One thing that can help is record yourself doing it and then reviewing it. I had a hell of a time learning Colemans until I saw a video of myself trying it and realized I was nowhere near the ground.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
If your back foot is sliding off, try hanging your heel over the rail a little more. Eventually you'll get more comfortable and come adjust foot positions more. Remember to keep your weight mostly over your front truck, too. Feel free to message me on Steam if you ever have any skate-related questions
I've been working on the whole street skating on a big board, and its a lot tougher to learn than on a normal small board because of the size and weight. I'm having trouble landing stuff mostly. I can get the board to pop and spin for shuv-its off the nose but it just seems to get away from me every time. Any of you street guys have tips for me, or any general suggestions of things to try or learn?

Heres a cool video that was posted on another forum. 44x10 double kick!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyVlXxUXDcw

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Mugmoor posted:

Learn how to turn. Yeah, it sounds a little pre-school and not-at-all what the other two guys said but that's the biggest part about getting comfortable with sliding (and a vast majority of longboard manoeuvres). Going sideways is nothing more than an extension of turning really really sharp. Get as low as you can on your front foot and try to deep carve without falling off.

It helps a lot to have someone to watch/give feedback when you're trying to coleman/toeside. Next time we hang I'll try to help as much as I can :)

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.
Thanks for the tips! Hopefully tonight results in less scraped elbows and knees!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
There is this rad new skate park in south Seattle that no one ever goes to. The reason is:

1) It's in South Park
2) It's not super easy to get to (because it's in South Park)
3) It's 100% transition.

The reason there is no flat surface is because otherwise it would flood as that area is part of the Duwamish basin. The flat tops between the snake run are not paved but they're filled in and have grass on them. That keeps a lot of people away because all you can do is drop and and ride the run.

Bearing that in mind, it is so much fun to ride this park. All of the drop ins from the inside of the clover are just steep enough to get speed but not scary at all if you've ever used a 4' quarter pipe before.

I really enjoy just using the inside of the clover to practice lip tricks if there's no one else there. Today was all about rock to fakie and fakie tail stalls.

Also: according to their facebook page, the record is seven doors in a row.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 19, 2011

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
That is a really sweet looking park...a very interesting design.

Do people stand around on top of where the grass is to drop in or do you just kind of hang in the flat and pump around?

that's an awesome park, I can see why some wouldn't be so in to it but for someone who likes transition that looks like loads of fun.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 18, 2011

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
They just had a special on tv about that bridge in South Park, that bridge is hosed, he was taking out chunks of the foundation holding up that bridge with no effort at all.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
A flowly transition park like that looks like it'd be fun to carve around on a slalom board or something when its empty. Pumping around the walls and all, fun!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

That park looks like the funnest place to learn to skate transistion. I gotta go to Seattle.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
that place is amazing, looks straight out of the 70's.

Reminds me of the old southsea skatepark with the big snakeruns.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Do people stand around on top of where the grass is to drop in or do you just kind of hang in the flat and pump around?

There's enough ledge to drop in from the grassy areas. I think I am going back todaaaaaaaaay.

Portfolio
Dec 10, 2004
The Department of Redundancy Department
Alright, I think I'm narrowing down what I want for my longboard. Right now I'm looking at a Switch deck, some 180mm Paris trucks, and some Bones Reds, but I'm still a bit lost when it comes to wheels. The thing will mostly be used for just commuting around town, but once I get comfortable enough with it, there are some decent hills around here, so I'd like to have the option to do some carving with it as well. With that in mind, would something like 80a or 82a be a good choice for durometer? What are some good brands to look at?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Wheel shape and urethane matters more than durometer. Are you looking for slip or grip?
Look around https://www.longboardskater.com tell us what you like the looks of

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I feel stupid arguing with police about skating places, now that I'm an adult.

iCaPpY
Sep 18, 2007

WHERE'S
MY
CHIPPY??

lemonslol posted:

I feel stupid arguing with police about skating places, now that I'm an adult.

I have almost been skating for a year here in Aus and I have been lucky enough that I have avoided this so far *touch wood*

Edit: 25yo

iCaPpY fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 26, 2011

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Police presence at my normal haunts is no issue. The one time I was stopped it was just because the cop was looking for someone. The street skaters get kicked out of a particular parking lot sometimes, but I've never had trouble.
Now, if I go 2 miles north to all the big hills (north shore of Long Island) it becomes illegal to skate AT ALL, which is absolutely loving ridiculous. I had a constable threaten to arrest my friend and I the moment we crossed the town lines from ours to theirs, and thats how I even found out. The guy was a dick and doesn't even have the power to do anything he threatened me with, though. I have to stay away from a certain area when I want to skate hills, but I've never had problems elsewhere.

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
Threat of arrest and arrest for skating is loving ridiculous. Seems to be an American thing.

I've been asked by police to keep the noise down or told to stop damaging benches on a few occasions, but never threatened with actual arrest.

I did get chased by a baker in his pyjamas once.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

iCaPpY posted:

I have almost been skating for a year here in Aus and I have been lucky enough that I have avoided this so far *touch wood*

Edit: 25yo
On the streets of Brisbane I had a lady tell me "my kind" was what was wrong with the country then had a cop come up (when I was walking away down the street with the board under my arm) and grab my board and ask me where I could find some guys I'd never heard of that had been stealing some cars. It took like fifteen minutes of convincing before the dude gave me back my board and finally believed me that I had no idea who he was talking about. Apparently all skaters know each other and conspire to steal cars. Also, apparently 25 year olds with beards and jobs totally hang out with fourteen year old shitheads.

That was a funny day. On my way into work really early in the morning that same day some rear end in a top hat came running out of his house and punched me in the loving jaw, knocking me off my board, before grabbing my board and throwing it down the street then screaming about how much noise it made. Apparently the guy on the motorbike who left his house at the same time as me every morning was not a problem but a skateboard oh man it's time to get punchy.

Obscuritatem posted:

Threat of arrest and arrest for skating is loving ridiculous. Seems to be an American thing.
I went from Australia where skating is tolerated most places to a city in America where skateboarding anywhere at all downtown is an offence that can get you arrested. It wouldn't matter if I didn't also live downtown :(

Wungus fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 26, 2011

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

We get kicked out of garages all the time but we're always polite and nice with security because for the most part they really don't care about us but have to do their jobs. This lets us come back all the time instead of baiting a place out so much the cops start to hang out there.

Whalley you sure do put up with some horseshit!

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
I just got back from an awesome skate trip.

Here are some pictures from one of the guys on the trip. We spent a lot of time at the barn and the ramp again. You can find the complete set(s) of pictures on http://fyours.wordpress.com/. There were 6 guys on the trip and everyone had a camera. The video is underway, there is a ton of footage to edit but I'll post it here once it's done!

Seems like we always get a rainbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That ramp loving owns. Nice!