Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Exelsior posted:

^ She is also growing a placenta. Everyone always forgets the placenta. You are growing a whole new organ! Like a liver! How cool is that?

I tapered off ADs while pregnant to 'protect my baby'. I then went on to suffer the most severe ante and post natal depression known to man. It was really, really terrible and I said some awful things. Nearly 6 months out and it is controlled but not gone. If I had another child I would keep taking the ADs, breastfeeding be damned. A happy mother is far and away the absolute most important thing for a baby. And for you.

I've been lurking this thread for a while, I remember your situation :( I'm glad you're feeling better.

Soonest I can see an OB is next Wednesday; I will ask her about it for sure. If I can avoid quitting I'd like to; I lost my dad last September and it is still really hard to deal. I got about halfway home yesterday evening before having a mini-meltdown in my car because he would have been so, so happy about this. :smith: I will try not to e/n in this thread too much though :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007

Chicken McNobody posted:

I've been lurking this thread for a while, I remember your situation :( I'm glad you're feeling better.

Soonest I can see an OB is next Wednesday; I will ask her about it for sure. If I can avoid quitting I'd like to; I lost my dad last September and it is still really hard to deal. I got about halfway home yesterday evening before having a mini-meltdown in my car because he would have been so, so happy about this. :smith: I will try not to e/n in this thread too much though :)

We are twins :(. I lost my mother months before falling pregnant.

Exelsior fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 13, 2011

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
I lost my father when I was 7 months pregnant. I was in hell just for a couple of months and I think that now I have no soul anymore as I had no PPD at all.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

Now I have a question for the thread:
This is my first pregnancy and I am 6 weeks pregnant and have extreme exhaustion plus some insomnia (plus nausea, some cramps, etc). The only remedy for exhaustion I've seen is herbal teas - is there anything else? I'm thinking I'll have to do one cup of green tea so that I can get to school on time.

Good luck with your mental health; it's hard to say how all these new hormones will end up effecting you. But I was pleasantly surprised by how its affecting my mood. I've suffered on and off with depression and anxiety regularly for years, and for whatever reason, my preggo hormones have really helped even me out and the last few months in my head have been pretty great.

Pregnancy symptoms sure do suck though. I'm not sure there's anything you can do about the exhaustion other than just listen to your body. If you can't possibly work a nap into your day, perhaps you can time your daily caffeine intake to coincide with your sleepiest time of day. Mine always seems to be 3:00 on the dot, so it's just part of how I schedule my day now. I either take a straight up nap, or just chill out and listen to my HypnoBabies tracks. I'm now in my 2nd trimester, and even if I don't use Hypnobabies at all during the birth, it's been more than worth it for helping me relax at nighttime and especially for getting back to sleep after peeing for the 5th time during the night.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
I made a cup of green tea this morning without any guilt but then I forgot about it and didn't drink any. Then I came home from classes and had a 3 hour nap without any guilt. I woke up and the mailman had delivered a package from my mom - morning wellness tea with ginger and chamomile that will hopefully help with the nausea.

And to everyone who wants to wait before telling people, I think that is the way to go. When we told my husband's parents and grandparents on Mother's Day (which seemed like a good day) they wanted to immediately tell everyone. They were sad that I didn't want them to until I knew the baby was relatively healthy.

Buggerlugs
Aug 27, 2003

"All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not Jesus Christ"
My wife got a positive test result (well, 8) last weekend, we're both still in the clouds after trying for 18 months. She's currently at 6 weeks.

My wife is on a small dosage of an anti-depressant called Sertraline and has been reducing the dose for 2 years now. Does anyone know if it's best to now cut it out and risk the mood swings, or will it be ok to continue? Her doctor basically said it was up to her and it "should" be ok. I prefer experience over vague advice to be honest.

Edit: Well poo poo, this was sort of discussed on the very last page, that'll teach me to read first. I'd still like any opinions still out there.

Buggerlugs fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 13, 2011

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Buggerlugs posted:

My wife got a positive test result (well, 8) last weekend, we're both still in the clouds after trying for 18 months. She's currently at 6 weeks.

My wife is on a small dosage of an anti-depressant called Sertraline and has been reducing the dose for 2 years now. Does anyone know if it's best to now cut it out and risk the mood swings, or will it be ok to continue? Her doctor basically said it was up to her and it "should" be ok. I prefer experience over vague advice to be honest.

Edit: Well poo poo, this was sort of discussed on the very last page, that'll teach me to read first. I'd still like any opinions still out there.

:whatup: :smith::respek::smith:
I don't see a doctor until Wednesday, but I'll let you know what she thinks about it, if it helps. I'm still on the fence.

Also, are you saying she took eight tests?! Daaaang. I only took 2 and was already tired of peeing on things!

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
Is it normal for first trimester bloating to magically disappear? I'd just gotten used to feeling full all the time, and I woke up this morning and felt thinner/not full, and of course now I'm weirded out because this is my first time doing this.

No cramping or pain, I just went to bed feeling run down and bloated (like I have for the past couple of weeks) and woke up feeling amazing, like I had just had a spa day. I guess I figured the bloating would go away the same way it appeared - gradually, or that by the time it went away, I would be starting to feel full from the baby.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Making the world a better place... with cookies!

vanessa posted:

Is it normal for first trimester bloating to magically disappear? I'd just gotten used to feeling full all the time, and I woke up this morning and felt thinner/not full, and of course now I'm weirded out because this is my first time doing this.

No cramping or pain, I just went to bed feeling run down and bloated (like I have for the past couple of weeks) and woke up feeling amazing, like I had just had a spa day. I guess I figured the bloating would go away the same way it appeared - gradually, or that by the time it went away, I would be starting to feel full from the baby.

Well I didn't wake up feeling amazing, but I definitely had a morning where I was just suddenly less bloated. It was awesome.

Buggerlugs
Aug 27, 2003

"All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not Jesus Christ"

Chicken McNobody posted:

Also, are you saying she took eight tests?! Daaaang. I only took 2 and was already tired of peeing on things!

Thanks a lot! And yeah, in fact it was 10 over two days but she broke 2 :)

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

vanessa posted:

Your post gives me hope. When abouts did the bloating go away? I'm at 8 weeks and I'm so tired of feeling like this.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

I'm also in my 8th week.

After I made that post, I noticed that I still feel a little bloated if I eat too much in a meal, but by taking it easy and doing smaller meals with snacks in between, I'm able to keep that at a minimum.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

limegrnxj posted:

Your post gives me hope. When abouts did the bloating go away? I'm at 8 weeks and I'm so tired of feeling like this.

About 38 weeks for me.

:rimshot:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I actually wasn't really bloated at all during my pregnancy. At the very end, like the last week before I had Cecilia, I got some water retention issues and finally had to take my rings off.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I'll admit I was pretty puffy the whole pregnancy, I think partly due to the fact I was eating low-carb for a year beforehand and immediately stopped when I found out I was pregnant. I had to take my rings off around 28 weeks and still can't wear my engagement ring. Also I got hugely bloated like 2 days after labor because of all the fluids they gave me for the epidural.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Singin' the heartburn blues over here. I've passed the Tums and cruised on to Tagamet. I've found no correlation to diet, so I'm assuming this is mechanical. Are there any tips you ladies have? I'm only 25 weeks, the thought of doing this for another three months is depressing.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I've posted what worked for me before, but I'm happy to share it again. Note: this is not a 100% fix, it just made things bearable. And, while my heartburn did go away once the baby came, it's been back since she was about 7 months old, and I am on Zantac full time now.

Anyway, what worked best for me was eating small amounts of food pretty much constantly. I have always been a 6 mini meals vs. 3 big meals person, but this was even more broken down. For example, I'd start the day with a handful of nuts that I kept by the bed so I didn't even have to get out of bed. Then 20-30 minutes later, I'd have one egg. Then something else 30-60 minutes later. And then every hour or so for the rest of the day I'd eat something small and reasonably high protein. For whatever reason, protein foods worked better than others. If I was eating a carb, I had protein with it. Veggies and fruit I did on their own, but I'd have some protein not long after. I probably should still eat like that, but it's harder with an active toddler.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Brennanite posted:

Singin' the heartburn blues over here. I've passed the Tums and cruised on to Tagamet. I've found no correlation to diet, so I'm assuming this is mechanical. Are there any tips you ladies have? I'm only 25 weeks, the thought of doing this for another three months is depressing.

Is it an all-day heartburn or only at certain times? If it's at night, you could try elevating the head end of your mattress a few inches. I'm not positive, but I think they sell little foam wedges for this. Sleeping with your head and chest elevated will help keep the acid down.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

bellybutton posted:

Does anyone have any experience with this really ridiculous condition? How did you cope? Did you find any tricks to make it hurt a little less?

I didn't have it, but my friend did (we were pregnant at the same time, and she got stuck with the crappy girdle thing.) It sucked a lot for her, but went away by the time she got home from the hospital for the most part, and she felt completely back to normal in that regard within about a week. The worst I got was some sort of weird hip disconnect that I really only noticed when riding, which thankfully went away after I had the baby.

Missa posted:

I don't know the difference between sunscreen and sunblock, honestly.:blush: But, our pediatrician said baby safe spf 50 is safe for all ages, even newborn, just keep it out of the eyes, and wash them after you come in.
Yeah, I pretty much got the same thing from the pharmacist. He said to do a small area first, and to watch in case there was some reaction, but that it's generally ok. We're outside every day, and went to Mexico last month, so I was fairly concerned about sun exposure. We used hats and long sleeves, but some sunscreen as well with no ill effects.

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

Now I have a question for the thread:
This is my first pregnancy and I am 6 weeks pregnant and have extreme exhaustion plus some insomnia (plus nausea, some cramps, etc). The only remedy for exhaustion I've seen is herbal teas - is there anything else? I'm thinking I'll have to do one cup of green tea so that I can get to school on time.

The exhaustion sucks. That was by far and away the worst symptom I had, followed by insomnia. It was not bad at all during the second trimester, but awful for the first and third. I just had to deal with it, nothing really helped. You might want to look up the green tea thing though, I seem to recall it being a no-no in the first trimester because it somehow inhibits absorption of folic acid. I might be remembering this incorrectly (and it's probably only if you drink, like, 5 cups at a time.)

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
I think I might put the green tea on hold for now.

Brennanite posted:

I couldn't find where I read it, but it is mechanical - the muscle at the top of the stomach relaxes. So it makes sense that small meals would keep the heartburn at bay.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

McStabby posted:

Is it an all-day heartburn or only at certain times? If it's at night, you could try elevating the head end of your mattress a few inches. I'm not positive, but I think they sell little foam wedges for this. Sleeping with your head and chest elevated will help keep the acid down.

Thanks for all the help. It's not all-day (thank goodness), but late in the evening mostly. Elevating my head does help, and I'll try to scatter more small meals in. The protein idea seems particularly good as I need to increase my intake anyway.

Now, another question: how did/do you find birthing classes? My practice offers a two-class seminar. The first class is pre- through post-labor and the second is newborn care. Personally, I think it takes more than an hour to be adequately prepared, but maybe that's just me.

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

Brennanite posted:

Thanks for all the help. It's not all-day (thank goodness), but late in the evening mostly. Elevating my head does help, and I'll try to scatter more small meals in. The protein idea seems particularly good as I need to increase my intake anyway.

Now, another question: how did/do you find birthing classes? My practice offers a two-class seminar. The first class is pre- through post-labor and the second is newborn care. Personally, I think it takes more than an hour to be adequately prepared, but maybe that's just me.

My birthing class was about 8 hours, minus breaks for lunch and whatever. It covered pretty much every birth scenario and then a bit about newborn care and breast feeding. It was advertised at the midwife clinic I went to. It probably depends on what type of birth you want and where you want to have it. Since everyone at mine was using a mid wife, it was about a lot of pain relieving methods to cope with pain and whatever, since they don't do interventions unless the patient requests poo poo like an epidural or the gas. Check your hospital or birth centers, see if they are running anything, or ask your doc or midwife if they can recommend anything besides that.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Brennanite posted:

Our newborn care class was about 2 hours long, and it was offered by the hospital. It covered the basics, like swaddling and diaper changes. We also took a breastfeeding class that talked about colostrum, different ways to hold the baby and nursing bras. Each class was pretty much common sense stuff with some interesting facts thrown in, and each class came with lots of free samples of products like nipple cream and some reading material.

I honestly learned more from the nurses in the hospital during our 3-day stay. They helped me with my nursing latch and holds, gave helpful advice about diaper changes, and basically kept everything in perspective. They were a huge help!

But you're never truly prepared. Especially for things like projectile pooping and middle-of-the-night screamfests.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

VorpalBunny posted:

But you're never truly prepared. Especially for things like projectile pooping and middle-of-the-night screamfests.

Oh man, this. They need to teach you how to catch that before it happens. I never felt more like an idiot new parent.

I think the most I got out of our class was the different pain medications, what was in them, and what side effects I could expect. It made it a lot easier to choose the epidural. I'll also echo what others have said before, which is my husband got more out of the class than I. It really helped him get an idea of what to expect and what his role was in the delivery room.

Question!

When did you give your newborn his/her first tub bath? Peanut's cord stump fell off about a week ago, but still had some goo, so we waited for that to dry up. Now that seems cleaned up, but we're still worried because her belly button continues to protrude outward. Is it safe to bathe her now? Our pediatrician only mentioned the stump falling off, so we are unsure of the timing.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We bathed Bug in the hospital before she was discharged. Afterwards we rubbed a disinfectant q-tip the under the black stub. Bathing, feeding and a diaper change were mandatory practices before we got to take her home.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

foxatee posted:

Question!

When did you give your newborn his/her first tub bath? Peanut's cord stump fell off about a week ago, but still had some goo, so we waited for that to dry up. Now that seems cleaned up, but we're still worried because her belly button continues to protrude outward. Is it safe to bathe her now? Our pediatrician only mentioned the stump falling off, so we are unsure of the timing.

IIRC, as long as the stump is off, you're good to go for bathing. If you've never bathed a newborn, it is an experience alright. They are incredibly slippery. We vastly preferred the bath-in-the-kitchen-sink approach - standing at the sink had her at a much better level to hold onto her rather than bending over the tub awkwardly.

Crazy to think I'll be dealing with this again fairly soon, my daughter is four now so it's been awhile, but now we're expecting baby #2 so I get to do it alllll over again. :ohdear:

FretforyourLatte fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 16, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Brennanite posted:

We took Bradley classes. They're 12 weeks long, one class a week. It was awesome and I highly recommend them to everyone who asks me about childbirth classes. The sheer volume of information is amazing, and I truly felt prepared for labor.

foxatee posted:

Cecilia haaaaaated baths until I realized that she was panicking over not being held close like she liked best. So I started bathing with her in the big tub. I'd put a receiving blanket on my lap and lay her on it while I washed her, and I'd snuggle her up in between washing. One thing that's interesting to note is that babies without soap on their skin aren't very slippery, so if you're a water-only washer like me, there's less worry of the slipperiness.

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

Fire In The Disco posted:

We took Bradley classes. They're 12 weeks long, one class a week. It was awesome and I highly recommend them to everyone who asks me about childbirth classes. The sheer volume of information is amazing, and I truly felt prepared for labor.

Ditto here, although the goal of Bradley classes is to prepare you for a natural birth. They do cover pain meds, intervention, and c-sec, but they are really for people who know they want to go natural if at all possible.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

chknflvrdramen posted:

Ditto here, although the goal of Bradley classes is to prepare you for a natural birth. They do cover pain meds, intervention, and c-sec, but they are really for people who know they want to go natural if at all possible.

Totally true, and I will say, I did go in hoping for a natural birth. However, from early on, my teacher and I talked about how for me, with my pre-existing conditions (diabetes and hypertension), I had a bigger battle on my hands than my classmates when it came to natural birth. And, as it turned out, my blood pressure did get the best of me in labor and I didn't end up with my natural birth. But that is not to say that what I learned in Bradley didn't help me-- or my husband-- because it did help both of us immeasurably. So I would say, if you have ABSOLUTELY ZERO desire for a natural birth, Bradley's probably not for you. But if you have some desire for it and are just not sure how to go about it, or whatnot, definitely consider it.

LuckyDaemon
Jan 14, 2006

Lower your standards.
This means dating fat girls because you can't do better.
Get this babby out of me :colbert:

In all seriousness...has anyone had any luck with natural induction techniques? Sex, red raspberry leaf tea, nipple stimulation, etc? I keep reading that none of these things will induce labor unless your body is ready, but if your body is ready than these things aren't actually inducing labor, are they?

I mean are they all just bullshit and any "success" is just pure coincidence?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

LuckyDaemon posted:

Yes. ;)

First baby: 10 days late
Second Baby: 4 days late
Third baby: 16 days late

I think induction from giving yourself horrible cramping diarrhea aka drinking castor oil does work sometimes but that's disgusting and I wouldn't do it. Are you overdue?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

"foxatee" posted:

Oh man, this. They need to teach you how to catch that before it happens. I never felt more like an idiot new parent.

I think the most I got out of our class was the different pain medications, what was in them, and what side effects I could expect. It made it a lot easier to choose the epidural. I'll also echo what others have said before, which is my husband got more out of the class than I. It really helped him get an idea of what to expect and what his role was in the delivery room.

Question!

Jack's bellybutton protruded outward after the stump fell off. I thought maybe it was still swollen or something but learned at his 2 month checkup that he had an umbilical hernia. Doc said most go away on their own and even if they don't, they don't generally treat them till the child is 2 years old. Jack is almost 7 months now and it's almost completely gone now, but it looks like he'll always have an outie from the stretched skin.

MarshallX
Apr 13, 2004
Grayson is 7 weeks old and slept from 9:30PM to 6:00AM last night - on one hand we were pretty pumped because we got to sleep but on the other hand that doesn't sound normal to us.

Any ideas?

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007

LuckyDaemon posted:

In all seriousness...has anyone had any luck with natural induction techniques? Sex, red raspberry leaf tea, nipple stimulation, etc? I keep reading that none of these things will induce labor unless your body is ready, but if your body is ready than these things aren't actually inducing labor, are they?

I mean, I think your body can be ready and just kind of hang out for a while, maybe a few days, maybe a couple of weeks, so natural induction methods probably just get things kick-started if that's the case.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

MarshallX posted:

Grayson is 7 weeks old and slept from 9:30PM to 6:00AM last night - on one hand we were pretty pumped because we got to sleep but on the other hand that doesn't sound normal to us.

Any ideas?

It happens, love it while it lasts, because it almost certainly won't.

Of course, if he's not gaining or having good output because he's not eating, that's a different story.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

chknflvrdramen posted:

I mean, I think your body can be ready and just kind of hang out for a while, maybe a few days, maybe a couple of weeks, so natural induction methods probably just get things kick-started if that's the case.

I think that's sort of what happened for me-- I was having irregular, sort of mild-but-clearly-not-Braxton-Hicks contractions all day. We went for a huge long walk that evening, and by midnight we were heading to the hospital.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

MarshallX posted:

Any ideas?

It's fine, Connor is the same and has been since about 6 weeks. Longest sleep so far has been 11 hours but 9 hours a night is about average for him. He feeds more and doesn't really take any significant naps during the day.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

LuckyDaemon posted:

I had coincidentally been doing "labor-inducing" things for the week prior to Julia's arrival. I was craving spicy foods, so I ate something spicy every day (cajun chicken mmm); the weather was nice so I got out on a few good walks; I needed to stock the freezer so I pushed a cart around at Costco for an hour; Mr. starshine was a fan of the pregnant look so I had some afternoon sex on a Wednesday. My water broke early Thursday morning, 2 weeks before my due date! She had also been engaged in my pelvis for a couple of weeks, so that may be an indicator that she was just planning to come early. That, and the fact that she was 8 lbs 10 oz and was starting to run out of room. ;) Whether any of the things I happened to be doing brought the baby faster, I don't know, but they probably didn't hurt. If I may say so myself, I was doing a drat good job keeping my stress levels low and not really doing any worrying about when she would come. My midwife said months ago that she wouldn't be surprised if I went early because I was so relaxed. So, if you can manage it, chillin' may get you there!

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

It's fine, Connor is the same and has been since about 6 weeks. Longest sleep so far has been 11 hours but 9 hours a night is about average for him. He feeds more and doesn't really take any significant naps during the day.

You mean this might happen to Peanut?! O Blessed Sleep, how I miss thee.

Another question: Peanut has been working really hard on her latching. I'm really proud of both of us. We've stumbled upon a problem, though. When she unlatches, she will chomp down on my nipple and pull. Needless to say, this loving hurts! Any ideas on how I can make her stop?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
Liam does this, although now I don't even feel it anymore; you may become desensitized to it. But in the meantime as soon as you notice that she's de-latching, or starting to even think about it, stick your little finger in the side of her mouth and break the suction/latch for her and pull her off before she gets a chance.

Liam will sometimes go from about 7-8pm all the way to 4am without waking up. Not always, but the sleep is always worth the milky mess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanessa
May 21, 2006

vanessa posted:

Well, turns out that the bloating disappeared because my body was preparing for miscarriage, so this turns into a different kind of question.

I'm doing fine, but my boss at work (who insisted on being told right away when I got pregnant because she knows I'm quitting once I have a baby and she wanted as much time as possible to get used to the idea because I'm just that awesome) is very dramatic. I plan on going into the office tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to telling her because she's going to be loud and dramatic about it, and I'm done grieving. Any advice on how to bring it up while managing to keep her scenes to a minimum?