Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I have seen the error of my ways, and due to all the hype from this thread have decided to look into BTMI! Which album(s) should I pick up first?

They're all free, get all of them. But start with Goodbye Cool World! or Adults!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sandwolf posted:

They're all free, get all of them. But start with Goodbye Cool World! or Adults!

False, start with Scrambles, then Adults!. Album Minus Band is last.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Scrambles -> Adults! -> Get Warmer -> Goodbye Cool World -> Album Minus Band -> TLODOLI

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Scrambles -> Adults! -> Get Warmer -> Goodbye Cool World -> Album Minus Band -> TLODOLI

Others

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

oh gently caress, yeah, whoops.

i'd probably put it between scrambles and adults because i think the style transition is better that way (even though i think adults and get warmer are better albums)

e: actually between get warmer and GCW does work better

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 15, 2011

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
Adults is pretty O.K. Album Minus Band MP3 is so great 'cause its just some guy smashing out awesome songs on his laptop. Having said that it took me a while to get into.

All my favourite songs are on Scrambles though so actually listen to that who knows

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Adults and Get Warmer are the two that are most traditionally ska. Scrambles is the best. Album Minus Band, TLODOLI and Goodbye Cool World are just their own weird brand of awesome.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm the kinda guy that listens to one album until I'm sick of it then move on to another so I started with Scrambles since it seems to be the most recommended, and I'll likely move on to the next in a week or two. It's a bit different than what I was expecting and the singing seemed a little whiney at first, but it's definitely growing on me. Can't wait to try out the others!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCcMtbsH6u0

I would kill for another RBF/Zebrahead concert.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
So I don't know how everyone feels about Sublime in this thread, but Sublime with Rome just put out a song from their upcoming album, "Panic". Judging from this song and their live videos it looks like they're bringing a sax on full time. It sounds really good to me. I'm definitely a fan of a lot of Sublime, and Rome seems like a great choice of replacement front man for Brad. The album is supposed to drop in the summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QySzDXKr3JY

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If they can keep making songs like that I'm just going to treat it as a post-Kalnoky Catch-22 type deal. Music I can definitely enjoy, but I'm not going to even try to compare it to the original.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Streetlight was on Fearless tonight

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ryan_woody posted:

So I don't know how everyone feels about Sublime in this thread, but Sublime with Rome just put out a song from their upcoming album, "Panic". Judging from this song and their live videos it looks like they're bringing a sax on full time. It sounds really good to me. I'm definitely a fan of a lot of Sublime, and Rome seems like a great choice of replacement front man for Brad. The album is supposed to drop in the summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QySzDXKr3JY

They played Santeria twice last year. I'll probably be working their show again this year when they'll be opening for 311.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

They played Santeria twice last year. I'll probably be working their show again this year when they'll be opening for 311.

Eh, that sounds kind of lame, but give the fans what they want, I guess.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

Streetlight was on Fearless tonight

What'd they play?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ryan_woody posted:

Eh, that sounds kind of lame, but give the fans what they want, I guess.
The fans want booze and weed.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

The fans want booze and weed.

Judging from the smoke clouds above the crowd in the videos of the live shows, there was plenty of the latter, at least.

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010
Love Ska! All my friends make fun of me and called it "90's fad music" :(

I actually came across a band on the internet about two years ago from england. They mix Ska/funk/and reggae and were actually pretty decent

New Groove Formation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQg8H5IuSXE

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ryan_woody posted:

Judging from the smoke clouds above the crowd in the videos of the live shows, there was plenty of the latter, at least.

Yup. Some nights your supervisor says "we can't really do anything to stop it tonight."

Dumbly Bumpkin
Jul 6, 2004
My pinko commie lamp is liar
If anybody is in or around Orlando, Mustard Plug is playing tomorrow night at the social.

I will be at the show, as I am stuck here for work this week and need something fun to do that isn't teeming with hordes of children screaming in a hundred indecipherable languages, grazing herds of slow moving tourists who abruptly stop for no determinable reason, or zombie like hordes of befuddled old people.

Some good great lakes ska is just what I need to make this trip bearable.

Edit-
Link to the show:
http://www.thesocial.org/event/31203/

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.
Went to go to Quoteunquote Records today and found that the website is down. Looks like someone forgot to renew the domain

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Dumbly Bumpkin posted:

If anybody is in or around Orlando, Mustard Plug is playing tomorrow night at the social.

I'm seeing them in Atlanta Sunday. Isn't Taj Motel Trio Josh Wow's band? Anyone else going?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

I'm seeing them in Atlanta Sunday. Isn't Taj Motel Trio Josh Wow's band? Anyone else going?

Yea we're gonna be there. Should be a good time, there's also a band I (badly) play trombone in that's playing right before Taj.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

seventeen posted:

Went to go to Quoteunquote Records today and found that the website is down. Looks like someone forgot to renew the domain

Honestly, I'm not surprised. They've been using the tumblr anyway, I could see Jeff just moving downloads to mediafire or whatever and linking through that, and still having paypal links.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
It's back up now.

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010
Saw VGS and Mustard Plug last week, catch this tour if it comes by your town.

Sucks that I ran out of skanking gas by halfway through VGS's set, I was more gassed than Eric from Tough Enough

DarthXaos fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 20, 2011

Dumbly Bumpkin
Jul 6, 2004
My pinko commie lamp is liar
Are there going to be any good local or regional punk or ska shows in Dallas next week? I'm getting sent there for work and I want to check out a show if there is one going on, see how they do it down there.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

People going to the AMR fest - Anyone interested in going to the A's game Thursday afternoon? Or meeting up in general?

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I'll meet up. I'm not much for baseball, but it sounds like a bunch of people are going. And I'll have poo poo-all to do for most of the days.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I hate all of you that get to see Slapstick.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Oh this is going to be fun http://bombthemusicindustry.com/byos.html

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

lessthankyle posted:

Oh this is going to be fun http://bombthemusicindustry.com/byos.html

I may have to dust off the notebook and 8-track and give this a shot.

It looks like I might be reviewing the MU330/Humanoids/Robb Steele show at the Firebird in St. Louis on 6/11. Since my friends suck and hate good tunes if any of you are in the STL area that day and I end up with passes I'll have an extra one to get someone in the door.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Hello ska thread! :) First time poster, long time fan. I'm stuck in Vegas all summer and so far have been unable to find any semblance of a ska scene (or indeed any shows to go to). Any recommendations / advice?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Just got back from seeing/having beers with the Forthrights w/Maddie Ruthless tonight. I am a very happy man. Maddie can sing/has an awesome stage presence. The Forthrights are just all around awesome guys.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Hello ska thread! :) First time poster, long time fan. I'm stuck in Vegas all summer and so far have been unable to find any semblance of a ska scene (or indeed any shows to go to). Any recommendations / advice?

I went to a BtMI/Fad show at the Bunkhouse Saloon while I was out there on business a couple of years ago (I think right after Goodbye Cool World came out), and I think I was the only one there who wasn't friends with the promoter. But a quick google search reminded me that there is a vegasska myspace (http://www.myspace.com/vegasskapbc) page that I used to check. It seems to be defunct, but there are some local bands listed on there, and a twitter account for vegasska seems to be active with some show listings: http://twitter.com/#!/vegasska. Hopefully that helps.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jeff put tourdates up on the tumblr. Right now a couple buddies and I are planning to go to Buffalo to see them with Cheap Girls at the end of June. Really hoping this one doesn't fall through like the Potsdam show.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

WaffleZombie posted:

I went to a BtMI/Fad show at the Bunkhouse Saloon while I was out there on business a couple of years ago (I think right after Goodbye Cool World came out), and I think I was the only one there who wasn't friends with the promoter. But a quick google search reminded me that there is a vegasska myspace (http://www.myspace.com/vegasskapbc) page that I used to check. It seems to be defunct, but there are some local bands listed on there, and a twitter account for vegasska seems to be active with some show listings: http://twitter.com/#!/vegasska. Hopefully that helps.

You're the best. Should hold me over until I wrangle someone into driving me back to LA!

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Did BTMI ever release Adults... on vinyl? I have all the BTMI albums on vinyl except scrambles since I didn't have a record player for a while, but now that I have one I wanted to pick up Scrambles and figured I'd pick up Adults... while I was at it but I can't figure out if it was ever released on vinyl. It'd be kinda lame if they didn't, I mean I have the President's Day Split so why not Adults?

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

Josh Wow posted:

Did BTMI ever release Adults... on vinyl? I have all the BTMI albums on vinyl except scrambles since I didn't have a record player for a while, but now that I have one I wanted to pick up Scrambles and figured I'd pick up Adults... while I was at it but I can't figure out if it was ever released on vinyl. It'd be kinda lame if they didn't, I mean I have the President's Day Split so why not Adults?

"It's coming out later this year" is what I heard last.

quote:

If you’re not up in your DIY punk collectives, Bomb the Music Industry! is a Long Island-based band led by Jeff Rosenstock (who, along with other members, was formerly apart of The Arrogant Sons of Bitches). Formed in 2004, the group has released a dozen or so albums, EPs, and splits since 2005′s Album Minus Band. Now, the outfit is readying their newest album, Vacation, which is set to hit stores July 26th.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/06/bomb-the-music-industry-announces-new-album-vacation/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sucks that Vacation's not out for another month, I was hoping it'd be like...end of this month, so that I could maybe get it early at the show.

e: Also, holy poo poo, that link has Vocal Coach with the vocal track. Holy poo poo.

e2: I got a boner listening to that, I think.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 3, 2011