Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Elmo Oxygen posted:

His striking coach is Duke Roofus but you're really cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Bundt Cake posted:

His striking coach is Duke Roofus but you're really cute

Roufus coaches Askren too. Does that mean Askren is not a wrestler now?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Roufus coaches Askren too. Does that mean Askren is not a wrestler now?

nope but TKD hasn't got poo poo to do with Pettis in mma. also striking and grappling are different things

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Bundt Cake posted:

nope but TKD hasn't got poo poo to do with Pettis in mma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E18oIcBn8b4

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
http://mmajunkie.com/news/21803/trainer-roufus-says-pettis-wec-53-kick-inspired-by-ong-bak-cult-movie.mma

hey look it was roufus' idea they practice a lot in camp and not something from TKD and you're totally wrong this stunning development has shaken me to the core of my being

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TKD fanboys are cute.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks for all of the information, particularly BlindSite.

I'm a pro-wrestling fan (sorry to infect your thread with my filth) and concussions have been the big issue for about half a decade now and I was just wondering how the two compared on the issue.

It is interesting, by the looks of it MMA fighters are better off than boxers, I tend to think a lot of MMA guys in this respect would be a lot worse for wear if they had spent an equal amount of time boxing as they had been doing MMA. I also find it some what telling that there isn't 'that brain damaged MMA guy' yet.

It'll be interesting to see what the score is after the first generations of guys retire and see how they're doing in that respect.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Sue Denim posted:

I also find it some what telling that there isn't 'that brain damaged MMA guy' yet.

There is unfortunately. Gary Goodridge and the sruggle with traumatic brain injury

Thankfully most MMA fighters do not do what Gary did and fight long past his time. One of the reasons why I like UFC is they discourage fighters from competing when they see it's time for them to give it up.

red19fire posted:

Don't most athletic commissions hand out mandatory 30 day suspensions to all fighters on a card after an event?

I don't think it was talked about but some fighters don't listen to the advice of their doctors or follow suspensions (most of them). Some guys like Dan Hardy are literally back in the gym the day after they've suffered a KO loss, when they are supposed to wait a precautionary 30 days.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

BlindSite posted:

TKD fanboys are cute.

i'm cute.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Bubba Smith posted:

There is unfortunately. Gary Goodridge and the sruggle with traumatic brain injury

Thankfully most MMA fighters do not do what Gary did and fight long past his time. One of the reasons why I like UFC is they discourage fighters from competing when they see it's time for them to give it up.

I don't think it was talked about but some fighters don't listen to the advice of their doctors or follow suspensions (most of them). Some guys like Dan Hardy are literally back in the gym the day after they've suffered a KO loss, when they are supposed to wait a precautionary 30 days.

Gary's done a lot of K-1 though too.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I feel like when Goodridge finally opens up his gym, I should join out of guilt just so he no longer has to go to Japan and not get paid to have his face smashed in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Sue Denim posted:

I tend to think a lot of MMA guys in this respect would be a lot worse for wear if they had spent an equal amount of time boxing as they had been doing MMA.

You're assuming that MMA fighters would have as bad defense and take more damage in training and fighting if they trained boxing professionally. I think in reality most of them would wash out and the rest would be the same as other boxers.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Why are there so many weight classes in boxing? It seems like relatively small differences in mass would have less of an effect in a sport based around punching than in MMA or even kickboxing.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

money

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Jack of Hearts posted:

Why are there so many weight classes in boxing? It seems like relatively small differences in mass would have less of an effect in a sport based around punching than in MMA or even kickboxing.

Used to be because there were a ton of interesting fights and fighters and not enough belts for them all. Now it's because inertia and so Pac can have 37 belts.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I was really impressed by Aldo's head movement against Hominick. Even when the rest of him was dead tired, he was still able to use it to dodge a lot of Hominick's strikes. Why don't we see more of that? I'm not talking Aldo specifically, it's more that most MMA fighters are closer to Nick Diaz than Muhammed Ali in terms of head movement.

Grifter fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 16, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
3 primary reasons:

1) Many mma fighters have very rudimentary standup, good head movement is a very advanced skill that most guys just don't have.

2) With the inclusion of knees/kicks, you might weave your way directly into a nasty shin or kneecap to the dome. If you watch Muay thai or kickboxing, you will see less head movement for this reason. Also, if you include takedowns, then it gets even more risky because you have to worry about someone tripping you up or yanking you around.

3) So much poo poo can happen in MMA it's hard to maintain the focus required for good movement. This kind of goes back to the other points. 1: because the better you are the easier it is, and 2 because if you are watching for takedowns and clinches, and kicks, you really can't risk getting too fancy up top.

As fighters get more well rounded, we'll probably see more slick poo poo but I doubt anyone will ever be moving like Ali or slipping like Tyson, MMA just doesn't work that way.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The guys who exhibit the most noticeable and effective head movement tend to have the better standup and can actively impose their rhythm and range in the fight. In the recent Chandler x Patricky fight, Chandler was coming in and out and knew when he could get away with a slip under Patricky's combos when coming in. He was great at coming in and then pivoting and exiting at an angle. But he got away with that in large part because he wasn't doing head movement / footwork reactively, but also actively -- setting Patricky up for stuff.

Xguard86 posted:

you might weave your way directly into a nasty shin or kneecap to the dome.

Sorry to be so anal (and I know you only meant it figuratively), but since this is one of those educational threads -- a good knee strike shouldn't land on the patella, but instead with the lower extremity of the femur. It sticks out more and doesn't move around as much when you've got your knee fully folded. Landing a knee strike funny could hurt your patella as badly as it does the other guy.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Xguard86 posted:

3 primary reasons:

1) Many mma fighters have very rudimentary standup, good head movement is a very advanced skill that most guys just don't have.

2) With the inclusion of knees/kicks, you might weave your way directly into a nasty shin or kneecap to the dome. If you watch Muay thai or kickboxing, you will see less head movement for this reason. Also, if you include takedowns, then it gets even more risky because you have to worry about someone tripping you up or yanking you around.

3) So much poo poo can happen in MMA it's hard to maintain the focus required for good movement. This kind of goes back to the other points. 1: because the better you are the easier it is, and 2 because if you are watching for takedowns and clinches, and kicks, you really can't risk getting too fancy up top.

As fighters get more well rounded, we'll probably see more slick poo poo but I doubt anyone will ever be moving like Ali or slipping like Tyson, MMA just doesn't work that way.

slipping punches like tyson is retarded in mma, but slipping straights and rolling hooks is a useful, but very advanced kickboxing skill that almost no mma fighter can pull off under pressure for the reasons mentioned. aldo is probably the best high profile technical striker in mma with Gegard and overeem. machida and shogun don't do it and anderson wouldn't be doing dumb matrix moves if he was getting kicked or chased by a sonnen

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Shogun tries to block strikes with his high guard and Machida uses a lot of parries and footwork to dodge punches. Silva uses a lot of exagerated bobs and weaves.
Just some examples of different types of defenses GSFs use.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
For reference, many high level mma fighters still forgot to keep their other hand up when throwing punches, which is boxing 101.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
If you can throw a 1-2, leg kick combo you are a high level striker by MMA standards.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If you can throw a 1-2, leg kick combo you are a high level striker by MMA standards.

Frank Mir is the 2nd best striker at HW in the UFC

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Shogun tries to block strikes with his high guard and Machida uses a lot of parries and footwork to dodge punches. Silva uses a lot of exagerated bobs and weaves.
Just some examples of different types of defenses GSFs use.

from bad to worse?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Paul Pot posted:

from bad to worse?

I'm not getting in to that.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
You guys think Anderson's dodges are bad? I thought they were the hottest poo poo ever.

I think Forrest Griffin would disagree that Silva's head movement is bad.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Anderson's control of range and his head movement is fantastic for MMA, but I don't think he would be very successful in boxing with those same skills.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
One day Silva's reflexes are gonna slow down and he's gonna not be able to get away with keeping his hands so low. But until then it looks pretty cool.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Kanthulhu posted:

You guys think Anderson's dodges are bad? I thought they were the hottest poo poo ever.

Bad? No.

Compared to this:

amateur.

For more fun, look up Roy Jones jr. No hand KO on youtube.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

attackmole posted:

One day Silva's reflexes are gonna slow down and he's gonna not be able to get away with keeping his hands so low. But until then it looks pretty cool.
I was thinking that that kind of style tends to die hard once the reflexes start to go--isn't that the case with Floyd Jr.?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

Bad? No.

Compared to this:

amateur.

For more fun, look up Roy Jones jr. No hand KO on youtube.

Anderson moves more like Sweet Pea than Ali anyway.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
moving like pernell is retarded in a kickboxing match even roach says so ffs.

anderson getting away with foolishness doesn't mean anyone should replicate it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Nobody has suggested that hth

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kanthulhu posted:

hth

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Paul Pot posted:

hth

Where in that post does he suggest anyone else using Anderson's bobbing and weaving?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
'not bad as in hottest poo poo ever' was used to describe anderson's head movement following the question 'why we don't see more good head movement like aldo's/ali's in mma'.

i'd be more interested in your avatar's backstory than another pedantic shitpost.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Paul Pot posted:

'not bad as in hottest poo poo ever' was used to describe anderson's head movement following the question 'why we don't see more good head movement like aldo's/ali's in mma'.

i'd be more interested in your avatar's backstory than another pedantic shitpost.

Why can't we just put this to bed by saying that head movement in boxing and traditional striking arts doesn't necessarily translate to MMA because of the fact that fighters need to both focus on other areas in training and therefore can't put as much time into perfecting it and because of the wide range of ways to attack an opponent including kicks, take downs, and clinch fighting it's not as effective as in boxing.

That being said within the MMA context some fighters such as Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo among some others have developed the ability to slip punches but their ability is not on the same level as professional boxers known for doing so because of the above.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Paul Pot posted:

Good thing I don't care what you're interested in.

Someone talked about Silva's head movement, was told why it wouldn't work for a lesser fighter, I said his dodging was closer to Whitaker's than Ali's, then you create a dumb to argument because you apparently can't read. But go ahead and keep banging on this stupid point you just have to make.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Good thing I don't care what you're interested in.

Someone talked about Silva's head movement, was told why it wouldn't work for a lesser fighter, I said his dodging was closer to Whitaker's than Ali's, then you create a dumb to argument because you apparently can't read. But go ahead and keep banging on this stupid point you just have to make.

Both of you shut the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Someone make a gif of when Tyson slips 6 or 7 punches and then ko's a dude. I forgot what fight it's from. tia