Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I've mentioned this before but pretty much every time I fall playing I end up landing on the bony part of my upper thigh (I believe it's the trochanter technically) and it ends up hurting like gently caress for days. My Vapor X20 pants have really lovely thigh protection, just some hard plastic and like 2mm of soft foam. Do you guys have input on what $100ish ice pants have the best thigh protection? Stores around here have poo poo in stock but what I've seen so far is:

Reebok 9k: seems pretty good
Bauer Vapor X60: Seems really good but out of my price range, are the X:40s similar?
Easton S13: not so good.

Alternately, has anyone tried the Shock Doctor padded compression shorts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I've had my Tackla 9000s for over 10 years now and I've never had any problem with taking falls in adult league or getting leveled in full contact hockey. They've always been my favorite part of my gear along with my gloves.

I'm fully of the belief that you spend the money once on a good product and it'll last you as many beer league seasons as you want. I'm sure people will disagree though.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

I'm fully of the belief that you spend the money once on a good product and it'll last you as many beer league seasons as you want. I'm sure people will disagree though.

Yeah, I find this is true about a lot of stuff. I've only been playing since January so I didn't want to drop a bunch of money on gear at first without really knowing what I liked but drat, things are failing faster than I expected. I noticed my X:20 pants already have a couple holes in them and my cheapo bag's zipper is breaking. Really of my original gear the only things I'm not already dissatisfied with are my elbow pads and shoulder pads, which are both low end but don't really matter at my level.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

poser posted:

If I replace my holders with the exact same holders, can I reuse the steel?

Yes.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Shiiiit

I blocked a slapshot in pickup today off my skate and when I get home I see that two bolt holes on the holder are broken and it's all cockeyed.

month old skates :(

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

^^^ You can get the rivets redone. IIRC it's around $20 per skate.

Playoffs tonight: some guy actually goes down to block my slap-shot like it's the damned NHL. The shot gets redirected off his skate beats the goalie to the near post :smug:

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Is blocking shots frowned up in rec hockey?

Nobody really seems to do it my league, though I play in the lowest div so that may be a factor. I did it once covering the point and I guess the defenceman kind of looked at me confused and half-assed the shot as to not kill me.

I got the vibe afterward that blocking shots is a bit ungentlemanly at this level, though I'm not sure why (take the shot, if I get hurt it's my own fault for being stupid).

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sexy Randal posted:

Nobody really seems to do it my league, though I play in the lowest div so that may be a factor. I did it once covering the point and I guess the defenceman kind of looked at me confused and half-assed the shot as to not kill me.

I got the vibe afterward that blocking shots is a bit ungentlemanly at this level, though I'm not sure why (take the shot, if I get hurt it's my own fault for being stupid).

Sometimes I block shots in beer leagues games (mostly out of habit- it's hard to break my instincts) but I usually don't try to there.

In tournaments or playoff games though I'm blocking everything. Gotta lay it out there for the team :colbert:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Sexy Randal posted:

There's nothing wrong with blocking shots, some guys may think that you're trying too hard and ask if you saw scouts in the stands, but really if you have an opportunity to block a shot and it's something you are comfortable doing, then I don't see a problem with it. I normally only see guys do it during critical situations, but if you can do it and you don't take yourself out of the play, then it shouldn't be a big deal.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!

Sexy Randal posted:

It's not frowned upon in my league, I stupidly do it all the time, the last one leading me to have what seems to be a permanent bump on my shin on what felt like a cannon ball hitting me. Not fun, but a lot of times blocked shots lead to breakaways. I don't do it at open hockey though.

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

Sexy Randal posted:

I've never heard of people having a problem with this, I say if you're in a position to block a shot, block it. Do people really get ridiculed for trying too hard??

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I think the only problem is most people playing at that level, myself included, are completely unwilling to break your face with the puck when there's nothing really on the line so its a weird kind of thing where it feels cheap because I'm never pulling the trigger with you there

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Nick Cage posted:

I've never heard of people having a problem with this, I say if you're in a position to block a shot, block it. Do people really get ridiculed for trying too hard??
I block shots all the time too, though we have one guy on our team who loves to dive to block shots which a lot of us try to get him not to do. Mostly because he dives and then ends up miles out of position.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

^^^ You can get the rivets redone. IIRC it's around $20 per skate.

Playoffs tonight: some guy actually goes down to block my slap-shot like it's the damned NHL. The shot gets redirected off his skate beats the goalie to the near post :smug:

the rivets seem fine, they tore through the plastic on the holder, so I'm pretty sure I'll need a new holder at least. I'm not about blocking shots in pickup: I would have loved to have gotten out of the way if the guy would've given me a couple more seconds.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Sexy Randal posted:

I don't think it's ungentlemanly at all. It's hockey and you're there to compete, gently caress what anybody else thinks. Just as long as you're not too serious about it, there's nothing wrong with a healthy level of competition.

That said, I've personally decided that at my level, I'm only ever gonna use my legs to block shots. Just not worth it. There's that small chance, though astronomically small, that I could die from a puck to the chest. No thanks.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Sexy Randal posted:

Much the same sentiment everyone else has expressed, if I can go down to block a shot without completely ruining my team's position I do -- and I'd say about 50% of the time it leads to a breakaway/scoring chance going the other way. I do try and take it off the legs if I can, I've taken one or two shots into the midsection that left some interesting colored bruises after the game.

If you're comfortable doing it definitely go for it. Don't let the people who are all :effort: whine you down.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

I've mentioned this before but pretty much every time I fall playing I end up landing on the bony part of my upper thigh (I believe it's the trochanter technically) and it ends up hurting like gently caress for days. My Vapor X20 pants have really lovely thigh protection, just some hard plastic and like 2mm of soft foam. Do you guys have input on what $100ish ice pants have the best thigh protection? Stores around here have poo poo in stock but what I've seen so far is:

Reebok 9k: seems pretty good
Bauer Vapor X60: Seems really good but out of my price range, are the X:40s similar?
Easton S13: not so good.

Alternately, has anyone tried the Shock Doctor padded compression shorts?

I got my Tacklas in 1995 and to this day they have no noticable issues of any sort; one tiny cut in the nylon, everything else on them is good to go. High quality pants are literally bulletproof (maybe, they use quality ballistic nylon), and they don't get much wear even with heavy use. As such they're a great thing to buy used, and pro stock quality pants are pretty easy to find. If you want to buy new, good quality ones will last forever.

That said, if you're landing on your hip and there isn't padding there then your pants aren't protecting you properly (even cheap pants should do this at a minimum). Are you sure that they're sized correctly? There should be some padding on every bony part of your midsection; you might want to check that they're up high enough and are the right size.

sellouts posted:

I've had my Tackla 9000s for over 10 years now and I've never had any problem with taking falls in adult league or getting leveled in full contact hockey. They've always been my favorite part of my gear along with my gloves.

whats up antique tackla pants buddy :hfive:

Also yesterday the team we played featured a pretty solid NHL prospect on D; he was really impressive. His vision of the ice was amazing and he was making all kinds of ridiculous passes to spring his speedy teammates by our very, very slow and old defensemen. I was tasked with trying to deal with him; defending him on the point was pretty rough...he beat me badly once off the point on the PP, walked in and sniped a corner, but I did get a poke off of him later on and got a shorty out of it. Forechecking him was a waste of time but I tried it a few times anyway. I don't think he was trying very hard but I sure was.

I also inadvertently put my shoulder straight into the noggin of a dude, he was doing a spinorama or some crap and I went a direction that he was not expecting and thus his head ran straight into my shoulder. He was a little dizzy but was ok; if I'd been wearing shoulder pads it could have been ugly. I didn't get penalized for it (rightly so, it was totally accidental) but I bet it would have looked pretty bad slowed down 20 times and the NHL would have suspended me for it. :(

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 16, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

bewbies posted:

That said, if you're landing on your hip and there isn't padding there then your pants aren't protecting you properly (even cheap pants should do this at a minimum). Are you sure that they're sized correctly? There should be some padding on every bony part of your midsection; you might want to check that they're up high enough and are the right size.

I mean, there is padding there, it's just hard plastic and then a really thin layer of soft foam. I'm sure it would keep a puck from breaking my leg but when I fall on it with most of my body weight there's not much to soak up the impact. In any case, I've got a big hole in the pants too so I'll replace them with something nicer.

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008
If you're wearing proper equipment, by all means block the shot. If you get on your knees in front of my slap shot and you aren't wearing so much as a cup, I'm not sorry. If you aren't wearing a cage, put a glove to your face. If you aren't wearing a cup, put a glove to your junk and hope it doesn't hit your face.

Finally got to play some pickup last night after my work schedule interfered for two weeks, and was having a great night. One of their D-men received a pass and was ready to bury it, but I poked it between his skates and hauled rear end past him. I'm in their end on the breakaway, and the dude loving tackles me from behind and then goes down hard on my leg, bending it at an odd angle to the side and loving up my ankle. It isn't so much as tender today, but it was enough to put me out for the rest of the night. I really don't blame him, we are all pretty low-skilled and I interfere with people all the time on accident; it sucks to have a night where the puck is drawn to your stick end because of an injury.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Second 2-game winning streak in team history :toot:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Sexy Randal posted:

Blocking shots is good. But there are right and wrong ways to do it.

Diving to block a shot (i.e. sliding and stacking your legs) in beer league is moronic. At the very least you run the risk of putting yourself far out of position, while the defenseman just walks around you. At worst, you're going to take a puck to the face since this is, after all, beer league.

It's just kind a stupid play done by people who think giving up the body for their Sunday Night Team is Manly(tm).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I slide to block shots occasionally. Usually if I'm a half-step behind, know he's got a clear shot to the net, and is pulling the puck back for a shot. Players in my league don't really have the skill level to recognize a block and walk around it. They just want to get a shot off. Plus you can see their shots coming a mile away since we can't do that mid-stride shot jazz.

I don't see anything dumb about it. 1 hand over the junk and it's all good.
Half the time I end up in the corner, but since it's Bronze league they usually miss their shot wide anyway :v:

If it's a point shot, I just put my legs together, face the shooter and put a hand over the goods and it usually deflects off my shin pads. That way I'm not screening my goalie too bad and letting a shot surprise him through my legs.

e: VVV Well yeah, totally agree. I was specifically talking about my scrub league where 90% of people can't do slappers anyway including myself.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 16, 2011

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Play in a league with players who shoot harder. One will find it's way through.

Blocking shots via any method is like driving a motorcycle. It's not a question of if you'll get hurt, it's a question of when. I'm not blaming anyone for trying it, but yeah.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005
Sometimes I miss my Sunday beginner class at Oakland ice, so I was thinking of going to this one at Belmont Iceland to supplement (it's drop-in)

This is from their site:

quote:

Our clinic is aimed at players with basic forward, backward and stopping skills, who are looking to improve their abilities and knowledge of the game of hockey. Players are required to wear full gear. We do not have any equipment available for rental, with the exception of skates.

Is this going to be a waste of time for me if I'm not great yet at stopping or skating backwards? I can do both, and it's not like I'm at risk of running into people really, but I'm definitely not good at either of them. I also can't do any kind of crossovers yet. I know I can always work on skating on my own, I just thought this was good because I definitely need to get time with the puck, to work on passing/shooting/receiving passes. Does anyone have experience with drop in clinics like this?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I slide to block shots occasionally. Usually if I'm a half-step behind, know he's got a clear shot to the net, and is pulling the puck back for a shot. Players in my league don't really have the skill level to recognize a block and walk around it. They just want to get a shot off. Plus you can see their shots coming a mile away since we can't do that mid-stride shot jazz.

Half the time I end up in the corner, but since it's Bronze league they usually miss their shot wide anyway :v:

If it's a point shot, I just put my legs together, face the shooter and put a hand over the goods and it usually deflects off my shin pads. That way I'm not screening my goalie too bad and letting a shot surprise him through my legs.

e: VVV Well yeah, totally agree. I was specifically talking about my scrub league where 90% of people can't do slappers anyway including myself.

Sorry, I'm probably being a bit too harsh calling it moronic. I suppose there are very specific instances where sliding to block a shot is acceptable, but 99% of the time, the guys I see going to the ice to block a shot from the point are making a bad hockey decision.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
In every league I've played it, whether it be a B league or DD, I see guys going down to block shots. It's part of hockey -- why wouldn't you do it? I mean, I play in a B league where dudes can elevate some fairly hard slapshots. I'd rather give up my body than hang my goalie out to dry -- I just make sure to cover my throat.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Aggro posted:

In every league I've played it, whether it be a B league or DD, I see guys going down to block shots. It's part of hockey -- why wouldn't you do it? I mean, I play in a B league where dudes can elevate some fairly hard slapshots. I'd rather give up my body than hang my goalie out to dry -- I just make sure to cover my throat.
Cause sometimes it's better as a goalie to not have your player sliding on the ice because they can block your view if the other guy doesn't actually shoot. And if he does shoot he can sometimes lead to some wacky deflections that become near impossible to account for.

I know when I'm playing goal I tell a lot of my guys that it's better for them to move out of the way when someone is shooting so I can get a better read on the shot than try to dive at the puck.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do you guys not have the "if a guy makes an effort to block your shot you don't take it" unwritten rule? That's always been around in my beer leagues.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

bewbies posted:

Do you guys not have the "if a guy makes an effort to block your shot you don't take it" unwritten rule? That's always been around in my beer leagues.
Hell no, I may think twice if a guy dives at a puck, but if he's standing in front of me trying to block I'll still shoot

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

At a drop-in I'll go around, or try to change the angle. I won't shoot directly on a guy who's in a lane. Plus, no one really takes slap-shots at drop-in (no one dives either though so...). If it's in a league game, I'll take the shot if I have it.

Of course, it's also a bad hockey decision to try to shoot through a shot that's clearly going to be blocked. I can't count how many times I've seen the puck pop back out to the neutral zone to be picked up on a breakaway by the winger who just blocked the shot.

real_scud posted:

Cause sometimes it's better as a goalie to not have your player sliding on the ice because they can block your view if the other guy doesn't actually shoot. And if he does shoot he can sometimes lead to some wacky deflections that become near impossible to account for.

That's exactly what happened in my game last night. I'm pretty sure the goalie was pissed at his winger for this very reason.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 16, 2011

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

One of the bad things about living in a non-traditional market is sometimes you get things like what just happened here last Friday.

I live in an NHL town (you can probably guess which one from my avatar). Ice time around here is generally at a premium all year long because we don't have an overabundance of rinks, and now it could get a bit harder. One of our rinks (the one that the team uses as a practice facility when they can't use their arena, no less) got foreclosed on. If they don't find a buyer in the next ten days, the rink will shut its doors for good. What worries me is that the team either doesn't expect a buyer will come forward, or they plan to use one of the other rinks as an alternate facility instead rather than try to help keep this one running, because they're having a massive used gear sell-off at the rink this week. It could just be a standard end of season thing, I don't know, but it's worrisome anyway. This is the rink closest to my house and it's the one where I do the bulk of my skating. I'm not thrilled about having to travel a longer distance and possibly having to pay more just to find ice time.

I'm sorry this post isn't technically about playing hockey but I'm super bummed about this turn of events, especially since we were on the verge of starting up a new summer league there.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Aggro posted:

Because some of us have to go to work in the morning and don't want to limp around all day or spend a bunch more of our own money on a doctors visit on top of the insane league fees we already pay?

I spent years blocking shots, I'm over it. Any league I play in is a beer league and not blocking a shot isn't the end of the world. There's enough risk with idiots on the ice already.

For the record I actually think keeping your chin low to cover your throat is more important than a hand over your cup.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

they're having a massive used gear sell-off at the rink this week.

This is a great time to get all sorts of weird pattern sticks that you can fall in love with and never be able to find again! ( RIP my Theo Fleury post 2nd rehab pro stock synergy :(). Also a good time to get any other tough as poo poo pro stock equip.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 17, 2011

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
What is the name of the rink? Link to sale details? My pops is scheming lately.

And hockey is a dangerous sport wherein blocking a shot is hardly the most dangerous bit, in my opinion.

gigabitnokie fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 17, 2011

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

What worries me is that the team either doesn't expect a buyer will come forward, or they plan to use one of the other rinks as an alternate facility instead rather than try to help keep this one running, because they're having a massive used gear sell-off at the rink this week. It could just be a standard end of season thing, I don't know, but it's worrisome anyway.

Just so you know, most if not all NHL teams do this. I wouldn't expect it to be related to the arena closing. That said, the situation really sucks, I feel for all you hockey players that don't have easy access to arenas.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

gigabitnokie posted:

And hockey is a dangerous sport wherein blocking a shot is hardly the most dangerous bit, in my opinion.

It's The RecZone (Raleigh, NC, if you need it). I don't have any more details other than what the program instructors there have given us, unfortunately. Supposedly some potential buyers were scoping the rink out today but I haven't heard anything about how that went. I've got a scrimmage/learn-to-play over there tomorrow night so with any luck we'll get more info then.

If they do find a buyer, I hope whoever the new owner is gets a new website going (the current one is seriously some of the worst web design you'd ever want to see).

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

It's The RecZone (Raleigh, NC, if you need it). I don't have any more details other than what the program instructors there have given us, unfortunately. Supposedly some potential buyers were scoping the rink out today but I haven't heard anything about how that went. I've got a scrimmage/learn-to-play over there tomorrow night so with any luck we'll get more info then.

If they do find a buyer, I hope whoever the new owner is gets a new website going (the current one is seriously some of the worst web design you'd ever want to see).

Thanks!

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

gigabitnokie posted:

What is the most dangerous part?

In most beer league/pick-up I've seen, the play is innocuous enough that shot blocking just might be the most dangerous part. I mean, as noted before, it can stop your heart. Not likely, but it can do it. Though, I think my experience of low-level hockey doesn't always match up with what other people experience.

If I have kids that play hockey, I know I'm gonna do my best to instill in them the instinct to not block shots. Soft ribcages and all.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

coldwind posted:

What is the most dangerous part?

In most beer league/pick-up I've seen, the play is innocuous enough that shot blocking just might be the most dangerous part. I mean, as noted before, it can stop your heart. Not likely, but it can do it. Though, I think my experience of low-level hockey doesn't always match up with what other people experience.

If I have kids that play hockey, I know I'm gonna do my best to instill in them the instinct to not block shots. Soft ribcages and all.

Aren't you a goalie?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

One of the bad things about living in a non-traditional market is sometimes you get things like what just happened here last Friday.

I live in an NHL town (you can probably guess which one from my avatar). Ice time around here is generally at a premium all year long because we don't have an overabundance of rinks, and now it could get a bit harder. One of our rinks (the one that the team uses as a practice facility when they can't use their arena, no less) got foreclosed on. If they don't find a buyer in the next ten days, the rink will shut its doors for good. What worries me is that the team either doesn't expect a buyer will come forward, or they plan to use one of the other rinks as an alternate facility instead rather than try to help keep this one running, because they're having a massive used gear sell-off at the rink this week. It could just be a standard end of season thing, I don't know, but it's worrisome anyway. This is the rink closest to my house and it's the one where I do the bulk of my skating. I'm not thrilled about having to travel a longer distance and possibly having to pay more just to find ice time.

I'm sorry this post isn't technically about playing hockey but I'm super bummed about this turn of events, especially since we were on the verge of starting up a new summer league there.

If people make enough noise they might step in and help out. The Sharks bought out two rinks here and run another one.

The end of the year gear sale is newer to some teams but its nothing new. "Prostock" hockey gear become all the rage latley and its good way fro teams to make money.

This company
http://www.prostockhockeygear.com/
is raiding some of the AHL sales and pissing people off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Speaking of the RecZone, this guy apparently plays there.