Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

How's this for aeronautical insanity:

I rented a Forest Service cabin on top of a mountain last night and most of the people I work with went up for a party. One woman and her husband hiked up with the intention of going back down later because he had to catch a boat to work at 5 in the morning (he's an equipment operator doing some work at a mine for the next several months). After having a couple of drinks they decided they wanted to stay.

I'm not sure what number he called, but at about 10pm he arranged for a helicopter. At 6am on the dot that thing landed next to the cabin, picked them up, and whisked them home. He actually had to charter it home to get his stuff and then on to the mine since the boat had long since left.

Given the model whirlybird (MD 500) it was kind of like a real-life Magnum, PI with snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Colonel K posted:

I love STOL bush planes, I particularly like the little tricks some of them have, like a button to pneumatically retract the flaps to kill the lift so they can hit maximum braking.
I remember reading about some WWII German scout plane in the same size class that had so many wacky flap extensions and spoilers and smaller wings mounted on the leading edges and such that it could fly backward facing into a stiff breeze, but can't find it. Any ideas?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Storch?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Delivery McGee posted:

I remember reading about some WWII German scout plane in the same size class that had so many wacky flap extensions and spoilers and smaller wings mounted on the leading edges and such that it could fly backward facing into a stiff breeze, but can't find it. Any ideas?

You're thinking of the Fiesler Storch.

Originally intended as a liason aircraft, the Storch ended up being used to rescue Benito Mussolini in 1943, and was capable of taking off in well under 300ft on a calm day, and could pretty much levitate on and off the ground if there was a decent wind.
A Storch was also involved in the last dogfight on the western front of WW2, when a Storch ran into an American L-4 (basically a Piper Cub), and the crews started shooting at each other with pistols. Eventually, the Storch was forced to land, and the crew surrendered.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

azflyboy posted:

You're thinking of the Fiesler Storch.

Originally intended as a liason aircraft, the Storch ended up being used to rescue Benito Mussolini in 1943, and was capable of taking off in well under 300ft on a calm day, and could pretty much levitate on and off the ground if there was a decent wind.
A Storch was also involved in the last dogfight on the western front of WW2, when a Storch ran into an American L-4 (basically a Piper Cub), and the crews started shooting at each other with pistols. Eventually, the Storch was forced to land, and the crew surrendered.
Dubious distinction of the only aircraft in WWII to have been shot down by pistol fire.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

grover posted:

Dubious distinction of the only aircraft in WWII to have been shot down by pistol fire.

So the last dog-fight on the Western front of WWII ended the way the first dogfight on the western front of WWI started; pilots shooting pistols at each other. That's irony for you.

In that time of supersonic rockets and jet aircraft, just two dudes popping away at each other.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

cloudstrife2993 posted:

Those pilots are pretty ballsy.

I've always been partial to the STOL comp outtakes, featuring people who got on the brakes just a little too hard on the landing (see the latter half of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuE2cW8NMx8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSFjhWw4DNo

The ST part comes at 1:10, the 'getting on the brakes a little too hard' part comes at 1:25.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
Holy mother of god gently caress this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC2XIGMI2kM

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

blambert posted:

gently caress that poo poo.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

slidebite posted:

gently caress that poo poo.

Sometimes they drop a cable down and hook it to a winch. Drag the chopper out of the air onto the deck like reeling in an enormous barely-flying fish.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I've seen the cable setup before (never in action), and that really seems like the way to go. gently caress trying to land on that moving crash scene.

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

I've done the backwards flying thing in a Cessna 172 with some good upper winds (while in slow flight). If memory serves we had it doing about 10 knots backwards according to the GPS.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

blambert posted:

Balls of steel. OF STEEL!

I'd be tossing my cookies all over the place on the ship, let alone the chopper.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Bugsmasher posted:

I've done the backwards flying thing in a Cessna 172 with some good upper winds (while in slow flight). If memory serves we had it doing about 10 knots backwards according to the GPS.

Had a UAV in the Iraqs and such flying an oval track, or rather, trying to. The winds aloft were perfectly aligned with the desired racetrack, the upwind leg would crawl by. By the time the pilot turned into the downwind direction, he was already blown past the target and had to start turning upwind.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Sounds like the running track at Tinker AFB.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I was bored at work today and felt like testing out my new phone, so here's a video of an F-16 landing from my viewpoint at the locallizer shelter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUfA5Aw8KQw

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
My buddy sent this pic of one of our planes doing something odd. My guess is they had a bird in the way.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

N183CS posted:

My buddy sent this pic of one of our planes doing something odd. My guess is they had a bird in the way.

What are you talking about. The spirals? Thats normal...

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

CommieGIR posted:

What are you talking about. The spirals? Thats normal...

No, cranking it over less than 50 feet above the ground right after takeoff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

N183CS posted:

No, cranking it over less than 50 feet above the ground right after takeoff.

Looks kind of like perspective...but we've had pilots do worse. Some pilots just like hot dogging their C-130s....trust me we keep have to replace turbines because they run the engines so close to the threshold that the turbine bearings wear out really quickly. As in every HSC and ISO we are having to replace at least 2 engines

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

CommieGIR posted:

Looks kind of like perspective...but we've had pilots do worse. Some pilots just like hot dogging their C-130s....trust me we keep have to replace turbines because they run the engines so close to the threshold that the turbine bearings wear out really quickly. As in every HSC and ISO we are having to replace at least 2 engines

You mean 1077 is bad to use all the time?? :stare:

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

blambert posted:

The next time I have to hit a tiny LZ at max gwt at high altitude with no power margin and obstacles blocking the escape path I'm going to think about this and feel better.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

N183CS posted:

You mean 1077 is bad to use all the time?? :stare:

Bad enough that reading through the flight computer logs is like a sad journey through a ricer kids Honda....much abuse and flogging for no purpose.

Engine shop cries itself to sleep

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

invision posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjD67VZuYNU

turn THE GODDAMN HEAT OFF. O.F.F.

Thank you! I've been looking for this video. This one was popular on training days.

Bugsmasher
May 3, 2004

N183CS posted:

I believe that this was arranged for the photographer, if I am not mistaken it was taken by this guy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vector1771/

He is based out of Portland and takes some great shots of all the military movements in and around PDX. Be warned though, you could spend a lot of time looking through all his photos (there are almost 9000 on that Flickr link).

Booblord Sagat
Feb 16, 2010

by T. Finn

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, I always dreaded the inspections of my helicopters because I knew everytime they'd find something one of my pilots did to gently caress it up and yell at me for 'letting it happen' despite the fact that I was a Lance Corporal flying in the XO's bird.

Even my older brother was one of those pilots who would break poo poo. He once bent the hell out of a T-45A's wing when he was at the bombing range and forgot to check if the ~200 lb training bombs had released and proceeded to do a max G egress.

Pilots man, fuckin pilots.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Speaking of T45s, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. How the hell do single engine props catch T45s on final? This should not be.

Also, it takes military trainers waaaay too long to exit the runway. You guys could take a tip from Southwest and burn rubber on the turns!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Ferret King posted:

Also, it takes military trainers waaaay too long to exit the runway. You guys could take a tip from Southwest and burn rubber on the turns!

Southwest just likes doing stuff quickly; half the time I fly out of FLL (thankfully not often, Ft. Lauderdale is too far North) they've already started throttling up for takeoff while they're still turning on to the runway.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
To continue with the theme of pilots not giving a poo poo: The Pilot song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__s4OMTVyhI

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

DiscoDickTease posted:

ffffffff, so perfect <3

oh well, pilots and baggage handlers keep us mech's in business.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

BonzoESC posted:

Southwest just likes doing stuff quickly; half the time I fly out of FLL (thankfully not often, Ft. Lauderdale is too far North) they've already started throttling up for takeoff while they're still turning on to the runway.

They do that on the taxiway before they even begin to make the turn. :sun: They also push fast too, one of them in FLL pushed into a CO bird a couple years ago (they pushed at the same time.)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Typical Pubbie posted:

Thank you! I've been looking for this video. This one was popular on training days.

The JASDF is coming to play in a few months...thanks for reminding me I need to make sure this gets around to the rest of the Exercise Support guys.

DiscoDickTease posted:

Dos Gringos are great..."Goin' in for Guns" is pretty good, as is "I wish I had a gun just like the A-10". There's some other ones that are hilarious, but they're not really aviation related so I'll let you find them on your own.

I'm sure some of you have already seen it, but I started up a Cold War/Airpower thread over in TFR that has been going for a while...a lot of really good information on a variety of subjects related to those topics. Figured there would be some interest in that over here. Here's a post on SAGE/early US Cold War air defenses, here's one on the Skyraider, here's one about the LABS, and here's a pretty picture post of all the US/NATO aircraft that have intercepted the Bear.

Finally, check out this video of a couple of F-106s doing a night takeoff at Otis ANGB. It sounds like a bomb went off when the afterburner ignites. That's one thing that sucks about the Raptor...they normally only use dry thrust to takeoff, so nighttime departures are much less interesting to watch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I love 106s. Pretty much popped a boner when that candle lit.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
No idea if this is a repeat, but I love watching this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=HEe3xfWfkG8&vq=hd720

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
That makes my skin tingle.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

Scabrous Teat posted:

I'm fairly sure that inferior Soviet rockets were taking stuff up to the space station every time a space shuttle crashed due to extreme conditions such as a small dog farting during launch.

Oh come on, the soyuz vehicles are great, but I think they were specifically talking about something along the lines of the N1, which failed spectacularly 100% of the time.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

xaarman posted:

No idea if this is a repeat, but I love watching this video.

holy wow

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Linked from that video you posted.

Ace Combat 11, with less drama and more planes!

:pcgaming:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
That may well be the best flying video I've seen. What's it with the french and getting amazing shots of their aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
It's the promo for this movie: